Bathroom Scales

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

BenM

Re: Bathroom Scales

Post by BenM » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm

I have Fitbit Aria scales, and while the weight is consistent (as in it will generally weigh the same no matter how many times I step on it) the body fat isn't. I end up weighing myself multiple times every day - the number will usually start low and go up (this morning it went 15.8%, 15.9%, 16.0%, 16.1%) but sometimes it will go the other way, start really high and then come down.

I live by my Fitbit, so the convenience of having the measurement automatically sync into Fitbit is great, but reflecting on how much time I spend weighing myself I'm beginning to wonder if that's outweighed (see what I did there) by having to do it multiple times, maybe I should invest in a different scale.

Sidebar - I store them in the cupboard and pull them out every morning as the wife doesn't want them sitting out all the time. Do you guys do this? Looking at one of the EatSmart models on AZ it says 'if the scale is physically moved it should be recalibrated' - which would be a pain.

strega

Post by strega » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am

BenM wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm Sidebar - I store them in the cupboard and pull them out every morning as the wife doesn't want them sitting out all the time. Do you guys do this? Looking at one of the EatSmart models on AZ it says 'if the scale is physically moved it should be recalibrated' - which would be a pain.
Based on all the positive feedback on this thread I just ordered a new EatSmart model and would move on. However, I was going to see if anyone would be interested in running a little experiment. Your post nailed it before I ask my question. We often slide the scale on the floor a bit this way, a bit that way. This morning I stepped on weighed myself and move it four inches and weighed myself again with a 3-pound difference.

@iamsmu does your Taylor scale have this recalibration flaw? Moved a few inches and it won't read, right?

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:13 am

strega wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am @iamsmu does your Taylor scale have this recalibration flaw? Moved a few inches and it won't read, right?
The Taylor doesn't seem to care if the floor is largely level. I should have brought it to a different room. If it has a problem, it will give you an ERR code after you get off of it. I didn't get one in these tests:

I ordered an Eat Smart to double check the Taylor. If they are roughly consistent, I'll move one closer to where I do pull ups so I can weigh without having to go up two floors or back in the house.

strega

Post by strega » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:23 am

iamsmu wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:13 am
The Taylor doesn't seem to care if the floor is largely level. I should have brought it to a different room. If it has a problem, it will give you an ERR code after you get off of it. I didn't get one in these tests:
Thanks so much!!!!

Holy shit, I should have bought the Taylor scale. My floor is level, yet that kind of movement will give different results. I'll test the new EatSmart when it arrives and if can't provide a good reading by being moved around I'll send it back.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 am

It’s not very pretty for bathroom display, but I keep almost buying this:

I want a cheap, accurate, tare-able scale.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am

strega wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am
BenM wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm Sidebar - I store them in the cupboard and pull them out every morning as the wife doesn't want them sitting out all the time. Do you guys do this? Looking at one of the EatSmart models on AZ it says 'if the scale is physically moved it should be recalibrated' - which would be a pain.
Based on all the positive feedback on this thread I just ordered a new EatSmart model and would move on. However, I was going to see if anyone would be interested in running a little experiment. Your post nailed it before I ask my question. We often slide the scale on the floor a bit this way, a bit that way. This morning I stepped on weighed myself and move it four inches and weighed myself again with a 3-pound difference.

@iamsmu does your Taylor scale have this recalibration flaw? Moved a few inches and it won't read, right?
I have the wide platform eatsmart. I store it leaning against the wall, so before using it I pop the batteries out and back in so it will recalibrate from scratch.

strega

Post by strega » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 am

TimK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am I have the wide platform eatsmart. I store it leaning against the wall, so before using it I pop the batteries out and back in so it will recalibrate from scratch.
That sounds like a major pain in the ass. I just don't have the patience for that.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 am

strega wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 am
TimK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am I have the wide platform eatsmart. I store it leaning against the wall, so before using it I pop the batteries out and back in so it will recalibrate from scratch.
That sounds like a major pain in the ass. I just don't have the patience for that.
Then don't move it, ever. I think most scales are like that if you read the fine print.

I just pop one corner off one of the two AAA batteries and then put it back. Takes 3 seconds.

strega

Post by strega » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:35 am

TimK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 am
Then don't move it, ever. I think most scales are like that if you read the fine print.

I just pop one corner off one of the two AAA batteries and then put it back. Takes 3 seconds.
They Taylor scale does not seem to have that issue and would not have the same impact on a mechanical scale. I'm wondering how many folks that write negative reviews for these digital scales are moving them around a bit and don't realize that's the root cause.

Or maybe folks forgot to look straight ahead and count to 3, it's that damn looking at my feet that's the problem!?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am

I store my scale under a bed and take it out every morning. It's the EatSmart one. No issues.

The word "calibrated" seems to be thrown around loosely here.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:50 am

Manveer wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am I store my scale under a bed and take it out every morning. It's the EatSmart one. No issues.

Zeroed? The manual says calibrated so the word is in my head but yeah, it's not technically calibration.

strega

Post by strega » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 am

Manveer wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am I store my scale under a bed and take it out every morning. It's the EatSmart one. No issues.

I don't disagree but it's the word that EatSmart uses.

From their website:

The following steps can be used to calibrate any of our EatSmart Products bathroom scales:

Place the scale back on a hard, flat surface (see #2 below for optimal flooring surfaces).
With one foot, press the platform of the scale so that numbers appear on the display. Once you see zeros or dashes remove your foot.
Wait for the scale to turn off again.
Your scale is now calibrated. Step up onto the scale for a weight reading.

I just want a scale that does not require those steps if I move it. My current EatSmart scale does or is broken. I'll find out tomorrow when the new one arrives.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:14 pm

We have a Health O Meter!

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:22 pm

@omaniphil , it's amazing that a $25 scale weighs consistently to +/- 0.1% (or so) after moving, flipping, etc. Maybe your floor is without dips so that all the pads are parallel even after you move it?

BenM

Post by BenM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 pm

TimK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am
strega wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am

I have the wide platform eatsmart. I store it leaning against the wall, so before using it I pop the batteries out and back in so it will recalibrate from scratch.
Cool, thanks. Yeah - I pretty much always pull one battery out of my Aria scales to reset it before I use them. Every. Fucking. Morning. Can you tell it's starting to annoy me? :) My bathroom routine takes too damn long.

Seriously considering picking up a new set. There is a new model of the Aria scales out now (the 'Aria 2') but I'm not convinced the two hunge aussie shekels is worth it.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:51 pm

BenM wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 pm
Cool, thanks. Yeah - I pretty much always pull one battery out of my Aria scales to reset it before I use them. Every. Fucking. Morning. Can you tell it's starting to annoy me? :) My bathroom routine takes too damn long.

Seriously considering picking up a new set. There is a new model of the Aria scales out now (the 'Aria 2') but I'm not convinced the two hunge aussie shekels is worth it.
That would drive me insane, especially for something that costs so much. My old kitchen scale wouldn't come on unless I took the batteries out. I hardly ever used it, but I couldn't stand it. I got a new one. Of course, kitchen scales are under $20.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:10 pm

DoctorWho wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:22 pm @omaniphil , it's amazing that a $25 scale weighs consistently to +/- 0.1% (or so) after moving, flipping, etc. Maybe your floor is without dips so that all the pads are parallel even after you move it?
I haven't tried moving it in between measurements. The floor is pretty level though with tiles large enough that all 4 pads can fit on one tile, which I always make sure I do.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:54 am

I got the Eat Right in today. What a stupid box. . . In any case, it reads .3# over the Taylor. And it isn't responding to subtle changes. I drank some water. It didn't change. I drank some more. No change (though I had at least 3/4 a cup). 214.3 every time. The Taylor changed from 214.0 to 214.2. I picked up a box of Tampons. The ER changed to 215.2. The Taylor was stuck at 214.2??? I tried the ER again without the pons, it read 214.5, which is what I'd expect from the extra water.

I dunno what to think. The snap to on the Taylor seems larger, but it's not usually an issue. The ER reads a little heavier. Oh well. They are pretty close. I'll move one to the garage. The ER seems a little fussier about the floor. It was hard to find a perfectly even spot with the little tiles, so it will probably be banished to the garage. And the black doesn't look right in the bathroom.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:14 pm We have a Health O Meter!

I have that at work, it seems consistent with my home digital scale.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm

iamsmu wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:51 pm
BenM wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 pm

That would drive me insane, especially for something that costs so much. My old kitchen scale wouldn't come on unless I took the batteries out. I hardly ever used it, but I couldn't stand it. I got a new one. Of course, kitchen scales are under $20.
It does, a little. But I was most of the way there already.