For Your Health (a hunk's log)

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

broseph
High Fiber

Re: For Your Health (a hunk's log)

Post by broseph » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:26 pm

@cgeorg it’s nice to know you’ve had good results with that stuff (and that my routine is fairly similar). You got a link for that back cracker move?

Besides being tired and lazy, I’ve never had success with pre-bedtime mobility work because it always warms me up too much. Can’t go to bed hot, gotta be cold. Similar story with grippers.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:49 pm

It's basically this

But my low arm is on the inside of my knee instead of the outside, I hover it just off the ground, and I hold the twist for 5 breaths. I think each full breath is 4 to 5 seconds.

Also, if you've never really looked into yoga nose breathing, check it out. I often struggle with getting enough air when nose breathing, and when I started this I remembered how I was taught to do that years ago... I don't know that I can explain it, it's like lower in the sinus, the sound comes from within rather than from the nostrils. It's like the difference between a real snore and the kind of exaggerated snore sound that kids make. Actually a proper mouth closed nose snore without the snore is about as good a description as I can think of.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:26 am

@cgeorg I’ve been doing that exact stretch before squats lately to loosen up my low back, except at the bottom I “thread the needle” of my upper arm under the forward leg.

All my “yoga nose breathing” searches bring up is alternate nostril breathing- is that what you’re doing?

Otherwise, I think I know what you’re talking about with “almost snoring” and “lower in the sinus”- this is how I breath when I meditate. It feels loud once you’ve quieted everything else down, but it’s not snoring.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:15 am

broseph wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:26 amOtherwise, I think I know what you’re talking about with “almost snoring” and “lower in the sinus”- this is how I breath when I meditate. It feels loud once you’ve quieted everything else down, but it’s not snoring.
I think this is what I mean. Got a nice pop on each side from that twist last night. I haven't tried the threading, but the way I'm doing it also stretches the groin pretty nicely which I think helps warm that up for the straddle.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:10 pm

1/10/24

Hip mobility routine, then;

Wide Grip Inverted Row +24x 18, 14, 12
I was using a narrow grip before, but I want to target the non-latissimus back muscles more.

Lateral Raise 30x 18, 14, 10

Incline DB Curl 25x 16, 14, 12

BJJ Musings: Due to holidays and illnesses I haven't been to class in 3 weeks, and it's going to kick my ass tonight (more so than usual). I'm committed to doing my hip mobility work before every home workout. My grappling dummy is almost full (it takes a lot of stuffing). I've picked a handful of basic moves to study and practice.

@DCR this is the list of techniques I'm focusing on. About half of it is gi-dependent, but I search out no-gi versions (except for things like collar chokes etc).

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:03 am

broseph wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:10 pm DCR this is the list of techniques I'm focusing on. About half of it is gi-dependent, but I search out no-gi versions (except for things like collar chokes etc).
Looks good. I noticed that half or so of them are escapes rather than attacks, which of course is good/fine. Just a personal comment, for some reason I never had a problem "remembering" or "choosing" a defensive move/escape in a particular position. It was always when on offense that I got lost. Ok I got on top... now wtf do I do?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:20 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:03 am
broseph wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:10 pm DCR this is the list of techniques I'm focusing on. About half of it is gi-dependent, but I search out no-gi versions (except for things like collar chokes etc).
Looks good. I noticed that half or so of them are escapes rather than attacks, which of course is good/fine. Just a personal comment, for some reason I never had a problem "remembering" or "choosing" a defensive move/escape in a particular position. It was always when on offense that I got lost. Ok I got on top... now wtf do I do?
Yeah, I noticed what you said about it being defense-heavy. I often find myself in a dominant, yet clueless, position.

What takedowns do you think I should focus on?

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:01 pm

Regarding BJJ, my powerlifting daughter decided to give BJJ a try at the beginning of her winter break from college and promptly tore a ligament and broke a bone in her foot. She is having surgery on Wednesday. My wife is flying down to Austin to be with her for a few days. 3 month healing process. She qualified for powerlifting collegiate nationals in April, but that isn't happening.

I have no idea what the hell she did to get so messed up.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:19 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:01 pm Regarding BJJ, my powerlifting daughter decided to give BJJ a try at the beginning of her winter break from college and promptly tore a ligament and broke a bone in her foot. She is having surgery on Wednesday. My wife is flying down to Austin to be with her for a few days. 3 month healing process. She qualified for powerlifting collegiate nationals in April, but that isn't happening.

I'm obviously an absolute neophyte myself, but from what I understand, ankle/foot locks have a very small window between "that hurts" and "breaking stuff." Any time they go over those locks in class, they mention it and we're instructed to send it slowly and know to tap once you're caught in it.

Alternatively, did she just twist it while standing or going down? I know those types of injuries are also weirdly easy to catch whenever you're doing something dynamic on bare feet (my wife did it playing frisbee).

alek

Post by alek » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:38 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:20 pm
Yeah, I noticed what you said about it being defense-heavy. I often find myself in a dominant, yet clueless, position.

When I “trained” this stuff, which included some bjj, the usual advice for what to do after getting in the mount position was to bash their face in with your fists and elbows, but I imagine that’s not the rules here.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:55 pm

1/12/24

Bench 255x2x2, 275x2, 295x2, 315x2
Power Day, felt good.

Squat
Low back cramping up hard. It started as I was leaving work. I got through warmups and tried a bunch of stretching... nothing doing. Live to lift another day.

LTE 128x
Nope. Cramping up when I unrack the frickin curl bar.

We'll try it all again tomorrow.

Titan Bike (gotta do something while I watch Demon Slayer)
24:00
223 Cal
20.2 mph

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:59 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:19 pm Alternatively, did she just twist it while standing or going down? I know those types of injuries are also weirdly easy to catch whenever you're doing something dynamic on bare feet (my wife did it playing frisbee).
I understand that she stood up with someone leg locked on her waist and then stepped backwards, landing with that foot awkwardly. I think she is done with BJJ.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:07 pm

alek wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:38 pm

When I “trained” this stuff, which included some bjj, the usual advice for what to do after getting in the mount position was to bash their face in with your fists and elbows, but I imagine that’s not the rules here.
I'll try that next time!

I actually feel better in side control than mount at this point. Feels like I can use my strength and size better, and I'm not limited by hip mobility where they can squirm out between my legs (always embarrassing, especially since I can never seem to do it when the roles are reversed).
JohnHelton wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:59 pm
broseph wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:19 pm Alternatively, did she just twist it while standing or going down? I know those types of injuries are also weirdly easy to catch whenever you're doing something dynamic on bare feet (my wife did it playing frisbee).
I understand that she stood up with someone leg locked on her waist and then stepped backwards, landing with that foot awkwardly. I think she is done with BJJ.
That sucks. I remember she was doing so well with powerlifting too. Hopefully she makes a solid come back.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:16 pm

I'm the wrong person to ask because both schools at which I trained did very little stand up - touched on a few takedowns rarely, and nearly always rolled from kneeling - I always presumed (and to be honest was kinda grateful for) fear of folks getting hurt. That said, of those takedowns that we did, double leg always seemed the most functional to me. Everything else always seemed too easy for someone to stuff in one way or another (amazing how many dudes could hop around for a bit on one foot in a failed single leg and then somehow get out of it).

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:07 am

1/13/24

Snow Shoveling
5 metric shit tons
60:00
For your low back recovery.

@DCR it’s interesting how different the cultures can be between schools. I think I got pretty lucky with this one based on what I’ve heard/seen through other people (and IG memes).

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:15 am

1/14/24

Low back still hurting. I've had this stuff before- it eventually goes away. Though I can't help but be suspicious about it rearing its ugly head right after I started doing hip mobility stuff.

Bench 255x7x5, OT 2:30
No leg drive due to back stuff. Felt heavy. Took longer rests. Got it done.

SSB Squat 295x3x5, 3:00 rests
Again- felt heavy due to guarding and moving slow.

LTE 108x 20, 16, 16

Tib Raise 30x3x20

Time to shovel more snow. Also, it snowed so fast and heavy the above ground pool cover got pulled in. Stupid sexy resin rail provides almost no lip compared to the old aluminum style. Next year I'll try weighing it down with jugs and ties. RemindMe! 8 months "weigh down the pool cover"

houzi

Post by houzi » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:41 am

broseph wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:19 pm
JohnHelton wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:01 pm Regarding BJJ, my powerlifting daughter decided to give BJJ a try at the beginning of her winter break from college and promptly tore a ligament and broke a bone in her foot. She is having surgery on Wednesday. My wife is flying down to Austin to be with her for a few days. 3 month healing process. She qualified for powerlifting collegiate nationals in April, but that isn't happening.

I'm obviously an absolute neophyte myself, but from what I understand, ankle/foot locks have a very small window between "that hurts" and "breaking stuff." Any time they go over those locks in class, they mention it and we're instructed to send it slowly and know to tap once you're caught in it.
Firstly, @JohnHelton that sucks for your daughter. Hopefully she gets a full recovery.

@broseph from my limited experience and from I what i know from others who actually do BJJ, knee/leg/ankle stuff is taught and drilled very slowly and carefully.

Story time: A friend of mine is a boxing coach, but is a purple belt in BJJ. We met up to go lift one time in a gym that had opened here in Kunming, free-trial type thing. He noticed they had BJJ classes and went back a week later to try the class. He said the coach spent only 20 mins of teaching a technique, and then the rest of the class was just hard all-out sparring. My mate tried to just roll with others in the class, but the coach said "no, you are experienced, train with me". My mate is a chill guy so just goes with it. Coach proceeds to go 100% intensity, and at one point just cranks on an ankle/leg lock, full force. My mate taps immediately. They continue and the coach does the same thing again. My mate taps immediately, but he was seriously pissed. Stood up and said im not rolling with you, you dont know what youre doing, you are going to injure me. Rolled with others rest of the class.
My mate couldnt figure out if it was just the coach singling him out for being a foreigner and wanting to get the better of him, or if it was just that the coach was a total spaz. All the other students in the class were encouraged to go 100% all the time. Zero technique being practiced in rolling apparently, just go go go.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:28 pm

@houzi Those are the types of stories that make me thankful for the gym I found.

Also, I have a school-girl-level obsession with those highly skilled, super chill practitioners. They're so frickin cool.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:48 pm

1/15/24

Low back problem is progressing in its usual manner; right side only, tenderness just lateral of the spine, pain/tightness in the hip flexors that randomly stabs while walking. It will eventually go away.

Deadlift 350x4x5, 3:00 rests
Not bad. If I pull with maximum volitional speed, there's that little touch of not-quite-weightlessness at the top which is aggravating, so I moved more slowly.

Wide Grip Pullups +45x 10, 10, 8

Lateral Raise Myoreps? 30x 18, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4. 0:30 rests
Not sure if I'm doing myoreps correctly.

Incline DB Curl 30x 12, 10, 10

Single Leg Calf Raise BWx3x10
It felt weird to consistently do tibialis anterior work but no calves, even if they never grow. For your balance.

Edit: Fuck it. I'm going to leave my little calf raise block in front the standing desk in the weight room and try to hit it every session. For your classic broseph commitment that will fizzle out in a matter of days.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:58 pm

1/18/24

Bench 295x7x2, OT 2:00

Squat 295x2x2, 315x2, 340x2, 365x1, 385x1, 405x1
Haven't low barred since before the low back nonsense. These went so well I worked up to 95%. For your recovery.

LTE 108x 20, 18

Tib Raise 30x3x20

BW Calf Raise x 24, 20, 20

BJJ Musings: I've been doing my hip mobility stuff most days. The super specific techniques from class aren't super helpful for me at this point, but I try to learn something useful when I roll with the experienced guys. I'm learning to relax a bit more, both in terms of pacing and in terms of not contracting all my muscles as hard as I can all the time. I also look for axioms that are probably obvious to everyone but me; I learned "avoid being flat on your back" and "face your opponent when angling off your previously flat back" and put it to immediate practical use.