The Flywheel Effect

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

DanCR

Re: The Flywheel Effect

Post by DanCR » Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:23 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:09 pm Was thinking about that over video posted above, where he was criticizing some of the youtubers like Mike, the "bulking amnesia" or whichever term, where they forgot what made them get to where they are and start recommending stuff they do now, not back then. Feel like that's something that extends way beyond lifting, very successful businessmen may say stuff like "well when I was a young man I did it all wrong, I took way too much risk and worked too much" and blah blah blah.

Is it some form of modesty for successful people to say they did everything wrong? Or is the opposite of modesty, and they are bragging that they got successful in spite of doing everything wrong (like, "I got an A+ on the thermodynamics exam, and I didn't even study! I really should have studied")?
At least in the world of fitness influencing, it’s a function of just saying that you did the things that we’ve all known work for decades won’t fill the content demand. One has to have a niche to stand out.

Aside, weird how Renaissance Periodization is renaming itself RP Strength when they’re whole schtick is hypertrophy with light weights.

You’re right that folks in other fields do the same thing, but I think the “why” is context specific.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:39 pm

DanCR wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:23 pm

At least in the world of fitness influencing, it’s a function of just saying that you did the things that we’ve all known work for decades won’t fill the content demand. One has to have a niche to stand out.

Aside, weird how Renaissance Periodization is renaming itself RP Strength when they’re whole schtick is hypertrophy with light weights.

You’re right that folks in other fields do the same thing, but I think the “why” is context specific.
Mike/RP is the one that gets me the most. You can find Mike's original youtube channel and sort from old to new. It's like, come on Mike, we can see that grinding out heavy ass weight with questionable form, and bulking to high bodyfat percentage is what worked for you. Not 5lb pink dumbbells and a 50 calorie surplus

Yeah the running out of content thing is a problem. And the EXACT same thing is happening with other kinds of content on youtube. If you're in tech and see youtube channels like theprimagen, they are literally doing the exact same shit these fitness youtubers are doing now. Pumping out tons of fluff "react" videos (videos of them watching other videos, pausing and giving commentary), constantly pumping out 30 minute videos with maybe 30 seconds of actual content.

It's like there's some common knowledge about how to work the youtube algorithm and they're all following the same playbook

Getting sick of it, close to just unsubbing everything from youtube. The modern web as we know it is a mistake

/endrant

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:15 pm

Yeah, I agree with you both. I almost didn't post that video today because I've seen so many of the "How to do less and gain more" type video's. That one was better than most though.

Regarding the back cramp, it's a super common occurrence for me when I'm benching. I don't worry about it too much because as long as I'm not going for a heavy single I know that lifting my leg up like that has always done the trick. And if it happens on a heavy single I can usually still push through it when it's just one rep. Only think that sucks is that I'm generally able to get into a decent arch without immediately cramping up. Not sure what the deal is with that because I don't have cramping problems in general - it's literally only on bench.

I got my Pull workout in today. Started it late. Finished it very late after some interruptions. I'm too tire to post it up now, so will do that tomorrow.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:56 am

June 7, 2024

Close Grip Lat Pulldown: Rest Pause
120 Pounds x 22 Reps
Solid. Will add weight next time. Video of first set is below.

Hammer Curl: Rest Pause
40lb DB's x 29 Reps
I didn't mention it, but the lateral raises in my last workout seemed to hit my biceps hard. Weird. Think it must have just been the grip, holding up this weight basically with my thumbs when fully extended. I felt it today when doing biceps work. Didn't seem to affect much - just noticed some soreness.

Meadows Row: Rest Pause
Left Arm = 60 Pounds x 25 Reps
Right Arm = 60 Pounds x 25 Reps

Fixed the foot positioning I mentioned last time (placed nearest foot closer to the plates) and felt stronger. Did one more rep even though there was more weight on the bar. Weight will increase next time.

Single Arm Cable Curl: Rest Pause
Left Arm: 0 pounds x 12 Reps / 5 pounds x 8 reps
Right Arm: 0 pounds x 12 Reps / 5 pounds x 8 reps

Put these in place of the Monkey Rows because I wanted something more biceps focused. I don't really have the right attachment to do these. Tried using a ring and it got the job done, but didn't work as well as I'd hoped. I may need to look into getting some actual handles. Still, they felt great overall. Definitely did a good job of isolating the biceps.

One thing of note - I'm finding that my form is pretty liberal on some exercise. I'm going to continue progressing as long as I can with what I'm doing right now, but at some point I will definitely reset and focus on stricter form on some movements. That's probably many months off in the future.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:04 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:56 am One thing of note - I'm finding that my form is pretty liberal on some exercise. I'm going to continue progressing as long as I can with what I'm doing right now, but at some point I will definitely reset and focus on stricter form on some movements. That's probably many months off in the future.
If your form generally looks like it does on that pulldowns, and so long as it doesn’t devolve, I wouldn’t change a thing. That form is more than sufficient to progress and see results, again so long as you keep it there.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:46 pm

DanCR wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:04 am
Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:56 am One thing of note - I'm finding that my form is pretty liberal on some exercise. I'm going to continue progressing as long as I can with what I'm doing right now, but at some point I will definitely reset and focus on stricter form on some movements. That's probably many months off in the future.
If your form generally looks like it does on that pulldowns, and so long as it doesn’t devolve, I wouldn’t change a thing. That form is more than sufficient to progress and see results, again so long as you keep it there.
Thanks for the feedback. The lat pulldowns certainly aren't the most egregious, but I might try to tighten them up just slightly. I'm mostly fine with compound movements being on the looser side. I was more so thinking of lateral raise and biceps curl variations I've done recently - feels like I should probably be isolating the target muscles more on some of those.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:02 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:46 pm
Thanks for the feedback. The lat pulldowns certainly aren't the most egregious, but I might try to tighten them up just slightly. I'm mostly fine with compound movements being on the looser side. I was more so thinking of lateral raise and biceps curl variations I've done recently - feels like I should probably be isolating the target muscles more on some of those.
Don’t be swayed by me from where you’re comfortable, but I take the opposite approach: Compounds have to be perfection because anything less and eventually I get injured. Isolation on the other hand, I start a set with reasonable form - like what you’re doing - but as failure approaches I’ll do whatever I have to do to get the weight up a few more times so that I have a few more eccentrics to fight.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:28 pm

DanCR wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:02 pm
Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:46 pm
Don’t be swayed by me from where you’re comfortable, but I take the opposite approach: Compounds have to be perfection because anything less and eventually I get injured. Isolation on the other hand, I start a set with reasonable form - like what you’re doing - but as failure approaches I’ll do whatever I have to do to get the weight up a few more times so that I have a few more eccentrics to fight.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I completely agree if we're talking about Deads, Squats, Bench, and variations thereof.

The compounds I was referring to are things like those lat pulldowns, pullups, Row variations. Basically anything other than the Big 3 where more than one joint is involved. I'm fine with all of those being a little looser.

But now that I think about it, the primary issue isn't with the form being loose - it's that I don't have clear guidelines as to what constitutes a 'good' rep. This maybe is more problematic for me since I'm doing so much rest pause work and a lot of my reps are very close to failure.

Setting clear guidelines for each lift is likely what I need to focus on. One example might be on Bulldozer Lateral Raises - set a specific start location for each rep and make sure it starts from a full stop rather than using momentum. That sets my start point. Then on the concentric the DB has to get at least up to my shoulder height to count and that's my end point. What happens in between doesn't matter much. I can make it as strict or loose as I want. Not saying that's the specific protocol I'd use, but I think something along those lines is probably what I need to start working out on a lift by lift basis.
Last edited by Clearwater47 on Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:31 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:28 pmThe compounds I was referring to are things like those lat pulldowns, pullups, Row variations. Basically anything other than the Big 3 where more than one joint is involved. I'm fine with all of those being a little looser.
💯

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:21 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:28 pm it's that I don't have clear guidelines as to what constitutes a 'good' rep.
You can always join me on the bro side :) - whatever gives you a good pump (and maybe soreness) while not feeling like its hurting your joints, can be the guidelines

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:57 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:21 am
Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:28 pm it's that I don't have clear guidelines as to what constitutes a 'good' rep.
You can always join me on the bro side :) - whatever gives you a good pump (and maybe soreness) while not feeling like its hurting your joints, can be the guidelines
I think I'm basically there already. ;)

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:02 am

SaviorSelf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:39 pm Mike/RP is the one that gets me the most. You can find Mike's original youtube channel and sort from old to new. It's like, come on Mike, we can see that grinding out heavy ass weight with questionable form, and bulking to high bodyfat percentage is what worked for you. Not 5lb pink dumbbells and a 50 calorie surplus
Reminds me of a video I saw from Alan Thrall where he was talking about how if he were do it all over again, he wouldn't bulk up to chubster levels but do a moderate surplus instead. I've heard other lifters in real life say the same thing... but the common denominator is that they all did, in fact, get huge by eating immoderately and got fluffy in the process.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:45 am

platypus wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:02 am
SaviorSelf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:39 pm Mike/RP is the one that gets me the most. You can find Mike's original youtube channel and sort from old to new. It's like, come on Mike, we can see that grinding out heavy ass weight with questionable form, and bulking to high bodyfat percentage is what worked for you. Not 5lb pink dumbbells and a 50 calorie surplus
Reminds me of a video I saw from Alan Thrall where he was talking about how if he were do it all over again, he wouldn't bulk up to chubster levels but do a moderate surplus instead. I've heard other lifters in real life say the same thing... but the common denominator is that they all did, in fact, get huge by eating immoderately and got fluffy in the process.
Yeah, with YouTube lifting content creators these days there's a whole lot of "do as I say, not as I do, even though I did it and it worked" going on. :roll:

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:54 pm

June 11, 2023

Good Morning: Goal = 2 sets x 6-8 reps
130 pounds - 2 sets x 8 reps
Lowering to pins. I'll continue to do them this way. Still playing around with the movement. On first set stance was too narrow and pins were too low. Made adjustments and the second set felt better - video below. This really hit my mid-back muscles hard. Guess I'm not surprised since I was rounding my upper back.

Face Pull: Goal = 3 sets x 12-15 reps
37.5 pounds - 3 sets x 20 reps
Seemed to slightly strain a muscle in the top center of my back, close to the spine on my left side. Don't think it's anything to be concerned about. These felt quite nice today.

Walking Lunge: Goal = 2 sets x 8-12 reps
30lb DB's x 12 reps
These felt not great. I took video and saw basically the same thing I was feeling. My balance is off and I'm unsteady on my right leg (not surprisingly). This kind of convinced me that this maybe isn't the best exercise for me to be doing at this time. Just to get some more quad work in a did a set of Goblet Squats

Goblet Squat: Goal = 2 sets x 8-12 reps
30 pounds x 12 reps
Been a LONG time since I've done these. They felt very good. Got a nice quad burn from it. I may just stick with these in place of the Lunges moving forward.

SSB Calf Raise: Goal = 2-3 sets x 10-15 reps
100 pounds - 3 sets x 15 reps
Yep, I hit calves...

Summer is here and I've been extremely busy. No time to lift the previous 3 days. Almost thought I might not get one in today because I had to choose between cutting grass and lifting. I made the right choice. ;)

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:53 am

June 13, 2024

Close Grip Pin Bench: Rest Pause
125 pounds x 29 total reps
5 more pounds than last time and I only lost 1 rep. Felt very dialed in on this movement this time around. I'll add another 5 pounds next time. First set is shown in the video below.

High Pull: Rest Pause
110 pounds x 23 total reps
I took video of the first set and realized it was a total mess - elbows and arms flailing everywhere, lol. Made a correction and the next 2 sets were MUCH better. The video below includes footage of the first 2 sets where you can see the difference.

Incline Fly Press: Rest Pause
37.5lb DB's x 27 total reps
4 more reps than last time. That's huge progress. Felt like it was mostly from technical improvement because the movement was very locked in. Will add weight next time.

6-Ways: Goal = 3 sets x 6-10 reps
6.5lb Plates - 3 sets x 6 reps
Bumped up the weight by 1.25 pounds on each arm. It's amazing how much harder it was and I struggled just to get the 6 reps. No worries though - I know weight progression will be exceptionally slow on an exercise like this, and it's really not even all that important.

Video shows the first set of Close Grip Pin Bench and the first 2 sets of High Pulls:

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:54 pm

June 14, 2024

Pullup: Rest Pause
5 pounds x 11 reps
First time doing these with any added weight in years. I'll stick with 5 pounds until I get up to 15 reps. Video at the bottom shows the first set.

Cable Curl: Rest Pause
40 pounds x 27 reps
Added 5 pounds and did 1 more rep. Weight will go up again next time. I can't remember the last time I shared video of myself doing curls, so I figured I was overdue. First set is shown below.

Cable Row: Rest Pause
135 pounds x 29 reps
5 more pounds than last time and I did 8 more reps. It's most likely because I ended up needing to put the workout on pause after the pullups and when I came back ~30 minutes later I was totally fresh.

Barbell Wrist Curls: Rest Pause
85 pounds x 28 reps
Used 10 more pounds than last time and only lost 2 reps. Pretty good. I took video of the last set just to show how I'm doing this lift.

Pullup's, Cable Curls, and Wrist Curls:

Clearwater47

Re: The Flywheel Effect - Video of the Day

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:41 am

Not sure how recent this conversation was between Arnold and Jocko, but it's new to me.

Arnold give his advice for learning which muscles each exercise works for each person. He says that exact protocols are not ideal because there's so much variation between individuals, and he encourages lifters to experiment and learn what works for them.

While I don't necessarily agree with his specific advice for how to go about that, I'm fully on board with his overarching message.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:40 pm

June 16, 2024

Single Leg Extension: Rest Pause
Left Leg = 90 pounds x 26 reps
Right Leg = 90 pounds x 27 rep
s

Added 4 reps to each leg with 5 more pounds. Video below shows the first set with the left leg. I was kind of all over the place because for some reason I forgot that I should hold onto the pads under my legs to keep from sliding back. I fixed it in the following sets and that helped enormously.

Skiers: Rest Pause
32.5 pounds x 24 reps
Added 2.5 pounds from last time and did 2 more reps. I finally set some clear criteria for the range of motion to help determine whether reps are good or not, and will continue to use this moving forward.

Single Leg Standing Hamstring Curl: Rest Pause
Left Leg = 50 pounds x 14 reps
Right Leg = 50 pounds x 19 reps

I added 5 pounds and lost 15 reps on the left leg, 13 on the right. It had very little to do with the weight increase though. I adjust the bar height so that rather than having it right below my kneecap that it's sitting above my kneecap on my lower thigh. This felt safer and more sturdy, but makes the leverage worse. Will likely reduce the weight next time. Video below shows the first set with the left leg.

Zercher Squat:
135 pounds x 5 reps
185 pounds x 3 reps

After doing the Single Leg Extensions I realized that I actually should have slotted Zercher Squats in here and moved the extensions to my other leg day where I'd been doing lunges. Decided to throw a few sets in at the end of the session to get my feet wet again with the movement, and to get a sense of what I might want to do for sets/reps/weight. Went about as well as I could hope. 185 was probably heavier than I want for a starting weight (my weight was shifting forward). At the same time, 135 was pretty darn easy. I'll probably start out with 155 for sets of 6-8, or somewhere in that neighborhood. Both sets are shown in the video.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:40 pm

Woot, really glad to see the zerchers in there

Just wondering, are you doing normal deadlifts still? I think it was you, but I remember someone taking a break from them

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:47 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:40 pm Woot, really glad to see the zerchers in there

Just wondering, are you doing normal deadlifts still? I think it was you, but I remember someone taking a break from them
Yeah, I stopped doing them for now. I actually replaced them with the BB Rows and I plan to stick with those for a while. ;)