Quiet lifting. How loud is your bar?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

jrrenegar

Re: Quiet lifting. How loud is your bar?

Post by jrrenegar » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 am

I've made some solid progress with minimizing the deadlift noise. Thanks for all the advice. Controlling the eccentric does minimize the thud and vibration a lot. Clamping plates on tightly minimizes metal change plate noise (really want some rubber 10's and 5's though). And, the most interesting discovery has been that keeping just a few pounds of upward force on the bar after most of the weight has been set down really controls the bar/sleeve clank that had been annoying me (though perhaps not the neighbors after all). It's like I can find that line where I've set the weights down, but kept the bar shaft supported in my hands. It will do until I get a better bar.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 am

@anniemichael
How is the height variation of the bar when deadlifting on the pads? I've got a pair, but they were for dropping Snatches and C&Js on prior to having to switch to nighttime lifting. Now I need to figure out how to deadlift quietly. I've been setting up a section of platform + 45 bumpers + piece of Ikea tabletop, but that takes too long to set up, so I'm working out how to make some blocks (will be part of a Jerk block set, hence the "working out," I need to get access to a table saw, otherwise plywood would be the solution). I've got some squish (might be because platform piece is 48" wide so plates are on edge of pads), wondering if it has been a problem for you.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:50 am

I'm finally going to get my sound deadening garage platform going. Stay tuned.

I made the type with 4" deep wells for the plates to land on.
The typical strategy was/is to fill those in with various layers of carpet, carpet padding, etc and then top it off with the rubber matting.
....but I never got around to finishing it off. We finally got bumper plates at my gym when I built this thing years ago and kinda got disinterested in finishing it. I just filled the wells with scrap plywood and left over stall mat strips.

We are going to replace our carpet in the house with tile.
I won't have an excuse any longer...to not chop that shit up and experiment with different layering schemes...

Mine is a little different, but basically this idea:

can't wait. irony is summer is coming and there is no way I'm going to lift in my garage over Lifetime Fitness ....loolololololololololzozlozlzo

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:57 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:50 am irony is summer is coming and there is no way I'm going to lift in my garage over Lifetime Fitness ....loolololololololololzozlozlzo
I don't understand?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:04 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:57 am
mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:50 am irony is summer is coming and there is no way I'm going to lift in my garage over Lifetime Fitness ....loolololololololololzozlozlzo
I don't understand?
example:
It might be 130F (or higher) in my garage when its 110-115F outside.

The globogym has good Air-conditioning (and other amenities)

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Ah. I wasn't sure if there was sarcasm or something.
It def can be challenging in the garage in the summer, and it rarely gets to 110 here.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 pm

jrrenegar wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 am And, the most interesting discovery has been that keeping just a few pounds of upward force on the bar after most of the weight has been set down really controls the bar/sleeve clank that had been annoying me (though perhaps not the neighbors after all). It's like I can find that line where I've set the weights down, but kept the bar shaft supported in my hands.
One thing I've theorized, is a slower lowering works two ways:

#1- sure less velocity = less bang! ...and the slop inside the bar-bushing and all that.

#2- with a whippy bar, deadlift bar, and/or heavy weights and/or fat bumpers, the bar might still be bent even when (controlled) lowering it.
The corners of the outside plates MIGHT be contacting first, and then the remainder of the plate surface "lays down"
on the platform .... instead of a perfect flat slap with the floor.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:50 am I'm finally going to get my sound deadening garage platform going. Stay tuned.

I made the type with 4" deep wells for the plates to land on.
The typical strategy was/is to fill those in with various layers of carpet, carpet padding, etc and then top it off with the rubber matting.
....but I never got around to finishing it off. We finally got bumper plates at my gym when I built this thing years ago and kinda got disinterested in finishing it. I just filled the wells with scrap plywood and left over stall mat strips.

We are going to replace our carpet in the house with tile.
I won't have an excuse any longer...to not chop that shit up and experiment with different layering schemes...

Mine is a little different, but basically this idea:

can't wait. irony is summer is coming and there is no way I'm going to lift in my garage over Lifetime Fitness ....loolololololololololzozlozlzo
I'd like to do this someday, but basement is too low for a ~4" tall platform. If I'm not careful, with 2.25" I can bump the joists. Iron 25 lb plates has helped with pressing (since I'm rarely going above 135 right now... ) but Jerks and Push Presses get close. I've widened my grip a bit and that has helped, but another few inches - foot would be nice.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:51 am

What is on the Ground Floor above your Platform? A small internal courtyard might be a good idea... :)

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:51 am What is on the Ground Floor above your Platform? A small internal courtyard might be a good idea... :)
This for me?

Well, my downstairs neighbor. I don't think she'd appreciate me poking my plates up through her kitchen floor... she already tolerates the noise (I removed a bunch of blown insulation between her unit and my basement. In retrospect I probably could've left it, I barely get up between the joists. Now that I think about it, might be a good idea to consider replacing that... crap more work to look into).

anniemichael

Post by anniemichael » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:32 am

damufunman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 am @anniemichael
How is the height variation of the bar when deadlifting on the pads? I've got a pair, but they were for dropping Snatches and C&Js on prior to having to switch to nighttime lifting. Now I need to figure out how to deadlift quietly. I've been setting up a section of platform + 45 bumpers + piece of Ikea tabletop, but that takes too long to set up, so I'm working out how to make some blocks (will be part of a Jerk block set, hence the "working out," I need to get access to a table saw, otherwise plywood would be the solution). I've got some squish (might be because platform piece is 48" wide so plates are on edge of pads), wondering if it has been a problem for you.
We have a stack of OSB in the middle and have stuck the pads to the side with Velcro. It’s definitely high, so if ceiling height is an issue, it won’t work. We have 6 pieces of OSB and a top sheet of cabinet-grade wood, and the height is very consistent with the pads. It doesn’t seem to depress more for my husband’s 200kg+ deadlifts versus my 100-150kg deadlifts, or less for my clients’ sub-100kg deadlifts, for that matter.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 am

anniemichael wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:32 am
damufunman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 am @anniemichael
We have a stack of OSB in the middle and have stuck the pads to the side with Velcro. It’s definitely high, so if ceiling height is an issue, it won’t work. We have 6 pieces of OSB and a top sheet of cabinet-grade wood, and the height is very consistent with the pads. It doesn’t seem to depress more for my husband’s 200kg+ deadlifts versus my 100-150kg deadlifts, or less for my clients’ sub-100kg deadlifts, for that matter.
Good to know. I'm estimating about 3/4-1" of depression, and I figure a 5.5" tall block should be close enough. Thanks!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 am I'd like to do this someday, but basement is too low for a ~4" tall platform. If I'm not careful, with 2.25" I can bump the joists. Iron 25 lb plates has helped with pressing (since I'm rarely going above 135 right now... ) but Jerks and Push Presses get close. I've widened my grip a bit and that has helped, but another few inches - foot would be nice.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:33 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 am
damufunman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 am I'd like to do this someday, but basement is too low for a ~4" tall platform. If I'm not careful, with 2.25" I can bump the joists. Iron 25 lb plates has helped with pressing (since I'm rarely going above 135 right now... ) but Jerks and Push Presses get close. I've widened my grip a bit and that has helped, but another few inches - foot would be nice.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But not enough space on the sleeves, otherwise this is a great idea!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:54 pm

damufunman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:33 pm
mbasic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 am Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But not enough space on the sleeves, otherwise this is a great idea!
I think the reds are just under 6" wide.

They have a counter sunk bushing, depending on your bar, they can slide over the sleeve collar a bit.

You can put two reds and a green on there.

140 kg ?

They COULD also solve the pulling from raised pads problem.

They might make bars with longer sleeves too.

This is the most obvious cheapest solution for sure.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:47 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:54 pm They might make bars with longer sleeves too.

This is the most obvious cheapest solution for sure.
Oh yeah, the kg OPB has thinner sleeve collars so the loadable length IS longer.

Much brilliant!

jrrenegar

Post by jrrenegar » Fri May 03, 2019 7:09 am

I ordered the American Barbell black oxide training bar to 1) have a second bar to alternate between lifts, and 2) to hopefully reduce noise somewhat for deadlifts/rows. Considered several other AB bars, but $245 shipped was too good to pass up. Also I figured since the knurl is supposed to be mild, a thinner coating would be best. I'll post pics and impressions when it gets here. I'm pretty excited. Have been using just the Rogue 1.0 for the past 5 years.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 am

It's shaping up that if I want to do deadlifts at all this weekend it's going to have to be during nap time. I've been informed they are too loud, but that was when my friend was over being none too gentle with 315x10x5. I might give it a go anyways, and just try to be extra quiet since I am doing light stuff, and just use straps since TBH grip is the hardest part and I'm not interested in dealing with hook.

jrrenegar

Post by jrrenegar » Fri May 03, 2019 8:16 am

I can relate. There's something in my apartment lease about "garages for parking only", so if someone complains there could be trouble. So far so good. I miss my last house where I could crank the music and drop 30 clean and jerks.

FredM

Post by FredM » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:52 am

@jrrenegar

How'd that bar turn out? Looking at Rogues new silencer pads and an AB bar, probably the California unless you think the simple training is good for silent olys and decent to pull heavy with.

My boneyard Ohio has a lot of give in the sleeves I've realized which makes pulling and olys too loud with a sleeping baby unless i set it down with virtually no acceleration. I'm able to do so while I still clean really light weights but I'd like to not suck at them and don't see myself gently setting down >200 lbs.