So You've Detached Your Bicep...

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

mouse

Re: So You've Detached Your Bicep...

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:29 am

We're finally progressing with some resistance on the shoulder. Pressing movements with DBs and what not. I'm a fair bit more aggressive at home than I am when I'm actually at PT. Nothing stupid or risky, but I know I need to work a little harder than the range they think I should be in if I don't want to just spin my wheels. I am comfortable moving/loading 45's two handed so it's opened up some possibilities for some actual training.

Could be my eternal optimism but I feel like a little bit of size is coming back to the bicep. Tricep is still obviously way behind, but it's not as insignificant feeling as it was, so that's a plus.

Ran yoke the other day. Had to stay ridiculously light (~300ish) to keep everything feeling secure but it didn't wreck me up... just felt good to play with a toy honestly.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:13 am

Are peptides such as TB500 and BPC157 legal in the states? Seeing a lot of top flight UK/ EU powerlifters and strongmen using them to assist in healing all manner of injuries more swiftly/ completely.

I know strongman is more a passion/ hobby for you and you're healing regardless, which is great.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:59 pm

GlasgowJock wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:13 am Are peptides such as TB500 and BPC157 legal in the states? Seeing a lot of top flight UK/ EU powerlifters and strongmen using them to assist in healing all manner of injuries more swiftly/ completely.

I know strongman is more a passion/ hobby for you and you're healing regardless, which is great.
So I will say I did a little bit of research on it in the beginning and the best answer I came up with is a resounding... maybe I dunno.

I think it's in a gray area right now where it can be acquired "legally" but not for human use. I did see that WADA is going after it in 2022, so I suspect I wouldn't be getting it from anywhere on the up and up if I tried.

I considered asking my surgeon about it, but I doubt he'd have been behind it and it was just in that area of while I'd be interested if it works, I don't really want to take the risks or financial hit just to get back to competing for t-shirts a little bit faster.

A bit of an aside but thats basically my stance on most injectables, I'm not smart enough to risk it alone, and I'm too broke/cheap to pay someone to coach me through it just for a little boost in a hobby where I lift rocks for fun. I could also be totally wrong, but at 35 I think the ship has sailed on my window of opportunity where it would make a big difference...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:14 pm

GlasgowJock wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:13 am Are peptides such as TB500 and BPC157 legal in the states? Seeing a lot of top flight UK/ EU powerlifters and strongmen using them to assist in healing all manner of injuries more swiftly/ completely.

I’ve known a few people who have used it this and claim it works.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Little bit of a bumpskis

Outside of my normal PT stuff I've been using a (somewhat) modified BBM program. Training squat and deads pretty much normal now. Training bench flat and incline, with some strength work using 'RPE' to limit based on how solid my shoulder feels and some hypertrophy work using a similar guage. So far I've limited overhead work to strictly hypertrophy but I'm getting comfortable enough now to consider changing that and including a 'heavy' overhead day as well...

I also got wicked fat... should probably work on that...

https://www.instagram.com/djksmvc/p/CYC ... =copy_link

Edit: don't know why the IG thing didn't work and meant to comment that I realized today BBM actually has a shoulder rehab template... oh well... maybe next time lol

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:02 pm

We're at about 7 months post op if anyone else was keeping count and I'm pretty comfy saying training is back to normal...

Other than having to warm up my rotator a bit more and not worrying about ever maxing out my flat bench again I'd say it's business as usual...

Having a half attached bicep isn't so bad either. Size has come back well and I don't think you'd know it was ever injured. Hasn't really hindered me so that's cool...

Still not flipping tires though... ha...

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:59 am

@mouse, that’s all awesome, perhaps most especially the inability to tell that anything ever was wrong. I don’t think that’s the norm - you must’ve done real good work these past months.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:34 am

DCR wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:59 am mouse, that’s all awesome, perhaps most especially the inability to tell that anything ever was wrong. I don’t think that’s the norm - you must’ve done real good work these past months.
I mean I can tell the difference between the two based on the shape, but I don't think Average Joe would notice unless I pointed it out... I don't know much about how those types of injuries heal but maybe the scarring pulled it back up a bit? It doesn't look as dramatic as it did in the weeks following the injury...

And I'd like to think I did something right, I do think if I had strictly followed what my PT wanted, that I wouldn't be anywhere near where I'm at. I feel like I learned quite a bit though and how/when to put it into training... but maybe long term will prove I didn't...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:06 am

I tried to come back a bit too quickly after shoulder surgery. Like, I think I OHP’d something around 185 6 months post. And I kept pushing a bit after that.

Now, after having done little, my shoulder is actually much more pain free.

Things suck and are weird.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:45 am

mgil wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:06 am I tried to come back a bit too quickly after shoulder surgery. Like, I think I OHP’d something around 185 6 months post. And I kept pushing a bit after that.

Now, after having done little, my shoulder is actually much more pain free.

Things suck and are weird.
I'm recently in the 180-200's range for working weights and I've actually noticed less pain since I've been pushing it a bit more...

Maybe it's just normal development of forcing it to get stronger for a bit though...

Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself