Martha Rogers Thread

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mbasic

Re: Martha Rogers Thread

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:08 am

damufunman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:24 am
mgil wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:30 am Mattie and Kate going head to head. Should be interesting.
I'd agree, though I think Kate is so far ahead at this point it'll be no contest. Hope I'm wrong.
No, you hope you are right.
The only thing that will open the door for Martha is super bad performance by Kate.

Kate routinely snatches a few kilos Martha's best ever snatches in training ... and often.

Hopefully Kate gets so far out in front of Martha in the snatch... it will then become clear that
what they do relative to each other is irrelevant and that issue works its self out of the "math".

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:11 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:57 am Yeah, i hope their selections are based on what the overall field is doing and it doesn't turn into some kind of dick measuring contest and the both bomb out or something-something.

Its kind worked out that that 71 division is kinda weak not super strong.

The 76 is packed with studs, which will be an Olympic class.
Yeah, it's interesting that they can compete in the -71 and use that to qualify for -76 for Tokyo. Works out nicely for them, they can both have a shot at medals, whereas right now I don't think they'll be super competitive at -76.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:12 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:08 am
damufunman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:24 am
mgil wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:30 am Mattie and Kate going head to head. Should be interesting.
I'd agree, though I think Kate is so far ahead at this point it'll be no contest. Hope I'm wrong.
No, you hope you are right.
The only thing that will open the door for Martha is super bad performance by Kate.

Kate routinely snatches a few kilos Martha's best ever snatches in training ... and often.

Hopefully Kate gets so far out in front of Martha in the snatch... it will then become clear that
what they do relative to each other is irrelevant and that issue works its self out of the "math".
Yeah, and I think the Pan Am Games was the only poor (relatively) performance Kate has had recently. At the Pan Am Championships Mattie had that 140 do or die C&J, but Kate recently Cleaned that, and I get a sense that Kate is also a better competitor in terms of nerves and composure, though I could be wrong.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:48 am

This whole weight class change from 2018 is so incredible stupid. If they kept it the same, Mattie would be competitive at 69 and Kate at 75, and all would be fine. Middle weight female lifters really get screwed with this new system if they have Olympic aspirations. And really, what weightlifter doesn't?

I think they both look good and hope they do well. Kate is really the one with the greatest potential moving forward though. Kind of surprised she cut down to 71, but their is a point where gaining weight so just getting fat, which isn't really helping move weight.
Last edited by MPhelps on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 am

MPhelps wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:48 am This whole weight change from 2018 is so incredible stupid. If they kept it the same, Mattie would be competitive at 69 and Kate at 75, and all would be fine. Middle weight female lifters really get screwed with this new system if they have Olympic aspirations. And really, what weightlifter doesn't?

I think they both look good and hope they do well. Kate is really the one with the greatest potential moving forward though. Kind of surprised she cut down to 71, but their is a point where gaining weight so just getting fat, which isn't really helping move weight.
Agreed on the weight class changes. They botched that up big time.

Zeck Telander and Max Aita had a good rundown on likely scenarios for Worlds, and they pointed out that since ROBI point standings are what USAW is using to determine who goes to Tokyo, it made more sense for both Mattie and Kate to lift at 71 since they will likely have higher ROBI scores in that weight class. They still have time after Worlds to put on some muscle, but yeah they'll likely have to carry some extra fat to stay above 71kg (though I guess with no -71 class they could weigh in super light for the -76 class. Hopefully Kate can grow into true -76 for 2024, at her current pace she will could very well be competitive there in 4 years.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:25 am

71kg A Session ResultsShow
https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2019 ... -2019-w71/
Kate sweeps gold with 112/136/248 and sets new Junior Total WR
Mattie with 106/134/240 for Silver Total, Bronze Snatch, and Silver C&J
Hyo Sim Kim (DPRK) 110/120/230 for Bronze Total and Silver Snatch
Emily Godley (GBR) 100/126/226 for Bronze Total and Bronze C&J

Kate missed her first Snatch and was behind Mattie for a sec then crushed her next two. Mattie match her best Snatch and PR'ed Total.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:07 am

damufunman wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:25 am
71kg A Session ResultsShow
https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2019 ... -2019-w71/
Kate sweeps gold with 112/136/248 and sets new Junior Total WR
Mattie with 106/134/240 for Silver Total, Bronze Snatch, and Silver C&J
Hyo Sim Kim (DPRK) 110/120/230 for Bronze Total and Silver Snatch
Emily Godley (GBR) 100/126/226 for Bronze Total and Bronze C&J

Kate missed her first Snatch and was behind Mattie for a sec then crushed her next two. Mattie match her best Snatch and PR'ed Total.
did not watch any sessions

what was up with "Hyo Sim Kim (DPRK) 110/120/230 "?

seems odd the 110/120 thing

Griff

Post by Griff » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:24 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:07 am what was up with "Hyo Sim Kim (DPRK) 110/120/230 "?

seems odd the 110/120 thing
In the linked article it mentions that she injured her foot. She missed her second attempt and forfeited her third.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:09 pm

thanks, I didn't even see that link on my phone.

EDIT:
The Nye thing is crazy.
I do try to follow weightlifting a bit, but admittedly not a hardcore fan.
IIRC, she was a nobody 2 1/2 years ago.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Mattie looked super lean at 71kg even. I’m hoping she can continue to put on muscle.

And yeah, Kate Nye looks really strong. Hopefully she can stick it out for at least one more Olympic cycle.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Yeah Kate came out of no where. She's only 20, so could conceivably be around for 2024, but with how funding is (isn't) in the US it'll be tough probably. I think in her last interview in Weightlifting House she said she is only planning out to Tokyo, hasn't decided on past that.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:27 am

@mgil oddly enough (unless a typo), the IWF site has them both at the exact same body weight. (70.75)
--------------------------------------

Interesting enough, the 76 class at Worlds only (lol) managed 276, 271, 245 for medals.

Kate and Matilda were at 248 and 240. (i.e. Kate could've bronzed at 76 w/ 248..maybe higher with added BW)

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 am

Did not watch but according to the IWF scoreboard, Nye apparently outlifted the 81 class with a 248 total.

The Colombian got gold, and beat that Spanish lady.
lol at Solis, who used to battle with Mattie in the 69s....81 now....all ass improvements.

Jenny Arthur got bronze in total, and silver in jerk !
(EDIT: i think this is right, the scoreboard flipped over to the next event and i can't get it back)

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:04 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 am Did not watch but according to the IWF scoreboard, Nye apparently outlifted the 81 class with a 248 total.

lol at Solis, who used to battle with Mattie in the 69s....81 now....all ass improvements.

(EDIT: i think this is right, the scoreboard flipped over to the next event and i can't get it back)
You mean Lydia Valentin, the most popular female weightlifter in the world. I was confused by the postings by hookgrip and ATG about that class. I guess it was Solis, Valentin, Arthur for medals.

They never put up the weight classes in their posts. I'm not enough of a fanboy to know who's where.

Mattie had a post on IG with her "my comment is no comment" with regards to her split with Camargo. My guess is that they had a fight and Mattie went to catalyst. Either way I'm happy she did well at worlds and is happy with her results.

But kate is the future of American weightlifting. If there is a future.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:15 am

MPhelps wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:04 am
mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 am Did not watch but according to the IWF scoreboard, Nye apparently outlifted the 81 class with a 248 total.

You mean Lydia Valentin, the most popular female weightlifter in the world. I was confused by the postings by hookgrip and ATG about that class. I guess it was Solis, Valentin, Arthur for medals.

They never put up the weight classes in their posts. I'm not enough of a fanboy to know who's where.

Mattie had a post on IG with her "my comment is no comment" with regards to her split with Camargo. My guess is that they had a fight and Mattie went to catalyst. Either way I'm happy she did well at worlds and is happy with her results.

Considering Danny let her training up to worlds at his gym, I suspect a big fight and falling out isn't what happened. I suspect it was simply that a change was needed and Mattie hasn't improved much in the past couple years. A new coach and moving across the country sure counts as a big change (assuming she moves to Catalyst physically). I also suspect Aimee coaching her will be good for her, the little bit that I know about the two of them seems like a good fit.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:46 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:15 am

Considering Danny let her training up to worlds at his gym, I suspect a big fight and falling out isn't what happened. I suspect it was simply that a change was needed and Mattie hasn't improved much in the past couple years. A new coach and moving across the country sure counts as a big change (assuming she moves to Catalyst physically). I also suspect Aimee coaching her will be good for her, the little bit that I know about the two of them seems like a good fit.
Yeah, that was actually my initial feeling, and I think Danny Camargo being the class act that he is, put up with Mattie until worlds. But from her Insta post it seems like maybe some shit went down. Or I'm just buying into reddit bullshit. Who knows.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:20 am

Yeah that whole weight class is funny:
Solis WAS listed as a 76 in the first/preliminary start list.
But she must've moved up to 81 at the last moment. I doubt it was "came in heavy" thing.
Soils used to be a 69. Only Weighed 76.85 for this meet.
Solis would've barely got bronze with her total (247) at 76....would've been a battle.
No one wants to battle the Chinese(276) or North Korean(271) in that 76 class.

Nye got the fuck outta that room. (maybe a bronze at 76).

Lydia only weighs 78.

Arthur is right below 81.

All the US World Medals come via weight classes that don't exist in the Olympics(71/81)? GREAT !

So at the Olympics, you'll have to huge pool of 76 good-not-elite lifters fighting for a single solitary bronze medal.
(IIRC, at Olympics they don't give out individual medals for SN and CJ ... its only for total)

Mattie had a post on IG with her "my comment is no comment" with regards to her split with Camargo.
technically, that IS a comment.^ And says a lot, actually.
No somber loves and kisses wishing best something something its been great something?
My guess is that they had a fight and Mattie went to catalyst. Either way I'm happy she did well at worlds and is happy with her results.
yeah. As @mgil said "the switch" probably wasn't made public, and goes back a while.

Maybe, its a deadend Olympics wise.
She's already accomplished a lot USAW-wise.
Everything would have to go absolutely perfect for her to get a bronze at 76 (Oly.class).
Would not be surprise if she ducks out early, and would not blame her one bit.
I almost wish it was 2017 right now. Tokoyo is right around the corner.

I was getting optimistic there for a while but the US will never be good at Weightlifting period.
Need to identify explosive youths at 7-8 years old.
Have them perfect movements from age 7 - 12; do basic Olympic WL "calisthenics", mobility, etc
Start lifting "heavy" from 12 y.o. on.
Would have to be something like our big gymnastics program.
And even this^ Utopian sports program is only going to be B+ on the World stage without the drugs.
No one in their right mind is going to have their kids do this in the USA. Nor should they.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:40 am

Only total medals at the Olympics.

Good points about our medals being in non-Olympic classes.

I think if we get enough short explosive guys to stop trying to play football we might have a future in the sport. The women seem to be doing ok coming from gymnastics since there's no possible way to do that professionally.

Maybe if we can supersede crossfit we can start them off with proper coaching and technique.

You know if we cared about weightlifting as a nation, which we don't. But even if we don't, I think being realistic with young men who want to play football at 5'7" we might have a ton more Olympic prospects. If we can find money for them too, since let's be realistic... Any sport outside of football, baseball and basketball in the US is almost entirely a pay to play environment. This isn't like a lot of the rest of the world where they have a state sponsored doping program, I mean lifting program and kids are selected based on their talent and genetics. "Oh you can lift stuff, and you have to bend down to unzip your fly, you're on the weightlifting team." In the US the guy could say he wants to swim, and as long as they had room on the team he could swim even though he's built like an oompa loompa.

FredM

Post by FredM » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:39 am

MPhelps wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:40 am Only total medals at the Olympics.

I think if we get enough short explosive guys to stop trying to play football we might have a future in the sport. The women seem to be doing ok coming from gymnastics since there's no possible way to do that professionally.

Maybe if we can supersede crossfit we can start them off with proper coaching and technique.

You know if we cared about weightlifting as a nation, which we don't. But even if we don't, I think being realistic with young men who want to play football at 5'7" we might have a ton more Olympic prospects. If we can find money for them too, since let's be realistic... Any sport outside of football, baseball and basketball in the US is almost entirely a pay to play environment. This isn't like a lot of the rest of the world where they have a state sponsored doping program, I mean lifting program and kids are selected based on their talent and genetics. "Oh you can lift stuff, and you have to bend down to unzip your fly, you're on the weightlifting team." In the US the guy could say he wants to swim, and as long as they had room on the team he could swim even though he's built like an oompa loompa.
We have the infrastructure now though to find elite olympic athletes. Crossfit is so freaking popular even real athletes are trying it in their off seasons. I'm learning the olympic lifts from a group that literally relocated to a shared space with a Crossfit gym -- they couldn't get enough people to show up to their dedicated gym and now make ends meet by offering supplemental classes for Crossfitters -- which I actually think is pretty brilliant. And even though it was done out of financial necessity I think more Olympic groups should try the same.

If you see some young athlete with obvious potential and tell him he could be the best at the world at something, I think a few would listen -- especially the ones that know they'll never make pro. The funding source then becomes Crossfitters who are learning Olympic lifts from actual Olympian/Olympic coaches which furthers their delusion that they're real athletes.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:54 am

FredM wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:39 am
MPhelps wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:40 am Only total medals at the Olympics.

We have the infrastructure now though to find elite olympic athletes. Crossfit is so freaking popular even real athletes are trying it in their off seasons. I'm learning the olympic lifts from a group that literally relocated to a shared space with a Crossfit gym -- they couldn't get enough people to show up to their dedicated gym and now make ends meet by offering supplemental classes for Crossfitters -- which I actually think is pretty brilliant. And even though it was done out of financial necessity I think more Olympic groups should try the same.

If you see some young athlete with obvious potential and tell him he could be the best at the world at something, I think a few would listen -- especially the ones that know they'll never make pro. The funding source then becomes Crossfitters who are learning Olympic lifts from actual Olympian/Olympic coaches which furthers their delusion that they're real athletes.
Yes, keep the funding source the middle aged folks who enter meets with a 21/25 total, buy caffeine and kilos socks, and spend $150 a month on crossfit. Then funnel that to the ones that have talent. But don't tell that. Just like their posts and use flexed muscle emojis.