The Montana Method, or That thing Hanley's doing with those people.

Offering services? Make a post. Be clear and concise.

The administrators and moderators make no money from services offered here.

No warranties or guarantees made nor implied.

Moderators: mgil, Chebass88

Hanley
Strength Nerd

The Montana Method, or That thing Hanley's doing with those people.

Post by Hanley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:10 am

Well, turns out it works, and I'm making it more broadly available.

$50/month for guided programming (I'm actively engaged in a "dynamic program"...reviewing worksets several times a week, prescribing loads, modifying the template as necessary).

If any Guinea-Pigs want to continue after the experiment, you get a discounted rate of $25/month.

If you're interested or just want more info, PM or email me: john[at]barbellhacks[dot]com

edit:

I'm going to call this thing The Montana Method, 'cause -- my home state is pretty great -- and "Moderated Intraset Fatigue in a Daily Undulating Periodization Context" doesn't sound good.
Last edited by Hanley on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

AaronM
Pheasant

Re: That thing Hanley's doing with those people

Post by AaronM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 am

Say whaaaat?!? You sure you aren't putting the cart before the horse? I haven't benched 300 or squatted 405 yet!

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:34 am

AaronM wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 amI haven't benched 300 or squatted 405 yet!
[Palpatine Voice] "you will"

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 am

Two weeks of the experiment done and I'm liking it. After finish I'll be back.

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 am

@Hanley - can I ask how you are so confident it's working after such a short period of time?

I hope that doesn't sound disrespectful, I just assumed you would want more data/data over a longer period of time before reaching any conclusions.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:41 am

RobUK wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 am @Hanley - can I ask how you are so confident it's working after such a short period of time?
I'm not "so confident". I'd really like actual studies and real statistics, but that's not going to happen. I've been testing the approach on my own bench for about 6 weeks, and - at age 40 with an "advanced bench"- my e1rm has gone up about 30 pounds over my lifetime PR (no drugs), and I feel remarkably fresh (I have a seriously wonky right shoulder from years of javelin throwing).

The pattern of 18 of the 20 participants through the first two weeks of the experiment so far matches my experience lifting with moderated intraset fatigue. If my experience with the bench were aberrative, I'd expect to see....something weird among the participants.

Also: there's really nothing radically novel about the programming. I'm just chopping up the stress a bit. DUP and HPS are well-established and supported by the literature (and I've used them with success for clients in the past).

OCG

Post by OCG » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Neat. I was going to grab your program and run it on myself, but hell if you're offering...

I do need something to do after a few weeks when my current thing runs out. I am curious to see a sample program though. Would that be possible @Hanley?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:36 pm

OCG wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm Neat. I was going to grab your program and run it on myself, but hell if you're offering...

I do need something to do after a few weeks when my current thing runs out. I am curious to see a sample program though. Would that be possible
Yup.

And I’ll work on providing templates & content so folks can try this appproach for themselves (without having to pay for programming).

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Colour me interested once I’m fully fit again.

gtl

Post by gtl » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:08 pm

RobUK wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 am @Hanley - can I ask how you are so confident it's working after such a short period of time?

I hope that doesn't sound disrespectful, I just assumed you would want more data/data over a longer period of time before reaching any conclusions.
To be fair, I think a lot of coaching ends up being trail and error anyways. I think what you have confidence in is that Hanley isn't too dense to say "well if you aren't making progress its your fault and not the program (NDTFP) you snowflake."

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:31 pm

gtl wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:08 pm

To be fair, I think a lot of coaching ends up being trail and error anyways. I think what you have confidence in is that Hanley isn't too dense to say "well if you aren't making progress its your fault and not the program (NDTFP) you snowflake."
You mean NDTSOTAR? (not doing the set of tools and rules)

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:35 pm

gtl wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Not so much trial and error (although there can be some
of that too) but educated guesses, mostly. Krieger wrote a good article on this recently - https://rippedbody.com/science-based-coaching/

brettj

Post by brettj » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Hanley wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:36 pm And I’ll work on providing templates & content so folks can try this appproach for themselves (without having to pay for programming).
Really cool. I would have been willing to pay for a template honestly. I've been following the experiment in the training forum, and have been intrigued.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:05 pm

brettj wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pmI would have been willing to pay for a template honestly. I've been following the experiment in the training forum, and have been intrigued.
Folks in this community have been massively helpful in refining the method and developing the tools. It's really an open source thing.

tersh

Post by tersh » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Hanley wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:05 pm
brettj wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pmI would have been willing to pay for a template honestly. I've been following the experiment in the training forum, and have been intrigued.
Folks in this community have been massively helpful in refining the method and developing the tools. It's really an open source thing.
As properly done science should be. Much respect for your approach on this.

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Post by PatrickDB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:26 pm

Hanley wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:10 am I'm going to call this thing The Bozeman Method
Montana Method.

Joe Montana: all time great.

Joe Bozeman: sounds like a guy who got expelled from high school for ducking shop class to smoke weed.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:50 am

I'm in. Though now I'm even more sad that I wasn't one of the Guinea-Pigs.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:35 am

Perhaps a little summary of the method, the programming, the tools necessary, etc in the first post would be helpful for new users/those of us who have been on vacation or recovering from vacation for most of the time this has been going on.

Also, if you can figure out how to bill this so it looks like a gym membership and I can convince my work to reimburse me for it, that would be awesome.

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 am

@Hanley, I missed this somehow this weekend. I'm in. So excited about the Boner Method.

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:02 am

"I love a nice warm cup of coffee to prepare for my morning BM. Really, since hiring @Hanley as my coach, every BM session has been smooth and refreshing. I never thought I'd gain so much peace of mind and satisfaction from a regular BM. Thank you, @Hanley."