what supps you take, bruh?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

mbasic

(i guess this is the supplement thread)

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:31 pm

I thought this was interesting:

https://store.thestrength.co/collection ... 2737336374

It a low tech ripoff version of the BBM periX thing.

I thought it was odd to have beta-alanine in it ... (and the BCAAs really).
...because IIRC that has to do with more longer drawn out efforts, like 60 seconds or longer.
If you are doing 3x5 with 10 minute rests I don't see where it comes into play.
I could see it coming into play on HIIT, 400m sprints, 15-20 rep squat sets, etc

----------------------------------

wtr the "peri" idea on *sigh, long pause* 'Lifting Juice' and BBMs PeriX... the idea to take this stuff before and after a workout is kind of tedious. If you globo-gym (v) before, during, or after work it kinda sucks .... you wind up being a freak carry this majik sauce around with you to pull off the before-AND-after thing.
I guess the obvs answer is just to slam a double dose either before OR after.

Which leads me too.
You have only 2.5g of creatine in a serving..."take before and after a workout".
Kinda sucks to worry about that ... I guess if you lift at home all the time its fine.

I thought recommended dosing for creatine was somewhere around 5g / per day..regardless of workout time/days.....it was "per day".
Its just something that builds up in your body over time that you have to keep topped off to be optimal.
If you only take the "peri" shit on the days workout. Maybe 3 or 4 days a week? That's only 15-20g. (2.5g x 2 doses x 3-4 workouts)
With the 0.45g/kgBW/day thing ... around 4-5 for a 200-220 pound male, thats 28-35g.
Do I need to supp creatine on the other days in between?
Do I just take more Majik-sauce on the days I'm working out then?

I guess the BCAAs component is the "Peri"-optimal thing,
FWIU the creatine and beta alanine is not (that stuff you just have to get in inside you and keep it topped off).

rjharris

Re: what supps you take, bruh?

Post by rjharris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:21 pm

That reminded me of the SS unflavored whey protein, which they're selling for $25 / 1.5 lbs.

gtl

Re: (i guess this is the supplement thread)

Post by gtl » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:34 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:31 pm I thought this was interesting:

https://store.thestrength.co/collection ... 2737336374

It a low tech ripoff version of the BBM periX thing.

I thought it was odd to have beta-alanine in it ... (and the BCAAs really).
...because IIRC that has to do with more longer drawn out efforts, like 60 seconds or longer.
If you are doing 3x5 with 10 minute rests I don't see where it comes into play.
I could see it coming into play on HIIT, 400m sprints, 15-20 rep squat sets, etc

----------------------------------

wtr the "peri" idea on *sigh, long pause* 'Lifting Juice' and BBMs PeriX... the idea to take this stuff before and after a workout is kind of tedious. If you globo-gym (v) before, during, or after work it kinda sucks .... you wind up being a freak carry this majik sauce around with you to pull off the before-AND-after thing.
I guess the obvs answer is just to slam a double dose either before OR after.

Which leads me too.
You have only 2.5g of creatine in a serving..."take before and after a workout".
Kinda sucks to worry about that ... I guess if you lift at home all the time its fine.

I thought recommended dosing for creatine was somewhere around 5g / per day..regardless of workout time/days.....it was "per day".
Its just something that builds up in your body over time that you have to keep topped off to be optimal.
If you only take the "peri" shit on the days workout. Maybe 3 or 4 days a week? That's only 15-20g. (2.5g x 2 doses x 3-4 workouts)
With the 0.45g/kgBW/day thing ... around 4-5 for a 200-220 pound male, thats 28-35g.
Do I need to supp creatine on the other days in between?
Do I just take more Majik-sauce on the days I'm working out then?

I guess the BCAAs component is the "Peri"-optimal thing,
FWIU the creatine and beta alanine is not (that stuff you just have to get in inside you and keep it topped off).
I think its 5-10g to "saturate" (not saying creatine loading aka megadosing) and then 2.5g maintains saturation. or something like that. I still take 5g bc, its cheap.

Also, never used PeriRx, but I hadn't realized there was a "new" formula, based on EAAs and not BCAAs, plus some extras.

The product page says it has Betaine Anhydrous but the nutrition label doesn't have it listed :hmmm:

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:53 am

I have regular creatine for the days I'm not training and don't use the Peri-Rx. One time I took two servings of the Leri-RX before bed to get the creatine and beta-alanine in, but didn't like the pre-bed tingles.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:04 am

Maybe I'm too dumb to be well educated on all teh science behind this stuff but the stuff mentioned above is why I never pulled the trigger on that stuff... from what I (thought I) understood about the dosing would seem that the Peri took all the 'optimal' doses, cut them in half, and then called it a serving while advising you to take it pre AND post...

Well then it's a 'half' of a serving, and you're really getting 15 sessions out of that $50, not 30...

So far the only one I've found that has been dosed based on what I remember being described as 'optimal' is Ouroboros, with (if the label is accurate) 5g creatine, 8g citrulline malate, and 4g of beta alanine in a scoop... and every day price on theirs is ~$30...

I'm always tempted to give it a shot and see if it does anything for me, but my cheap/sensible side tells me it probably won't... maybe I'll finally cave in the future when I start a hypertrophy/weight gain run or something... but until then... its dry scooping plain mono for me hahaha...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:38 am

mouse wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:04 am Maybe I'm too dumb to be well educated on all teh science behind this stuff but the stuff mentioned above is why I never pulled the trigger on that stuff... from what I (thought I) understood about the dosing would seem that the Peri took all the 'optimal' doses, cut them in half, and then called it a serving while advising you to take it pre AND post...

Well then it's a 'half' of a serving, and you're really getting 15 sessions out of that $50, not 30...

So far the only one I've found that has been dosed based on what I remember being described as 'optimal' is Ouroboros, with (if the label is accurate) 5g creatine, 8g citrulline malate, and 4g of beta alanine in a scoop... and every day price on theirs is ~$30...

I'm always tempted to give it a shot and see if it does anything for me, but my cheap/sensible side tells me it probably won't... maybe I'll finally cave in the future when I start a hypertrophy/weight gain run or something... but until then... its dry scooping plain mono for me hahaha...
yeah, that's what I'm getting at.
The dosing and the idea behind the peri seems .... "off".
If you work out 6x a week its fine.
If you work out 3-4x you either have to take some creatine (and other) stuff on the side, or just take "peri" doses in a non peri-workout way....
.... then I guess you are throwing away BCAAs or whatever.

Mouse, I think the beta-alanine and citrulline malate stuff would be applicable to a lot of that "protracted" strong-man stuff/events/training (carries, gambits, etc).

James

Post by James » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:44 am

BBM generally programs MT/TF lifting with Wed/Sat GPP "extra" training sessions so it kind of makes sense to dose it around six training days a week.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:49 am

Ingredient Effectiveness Rating
Sodium 800mg 3 out of 3
Creatine Monohydrate 2.5g 2 out of 3
Beta Alanine 3.2g 2 out of 3
HMB 1.5g 2 out of 3
Branched Chain Amino Acids 8g 1.9 out of 3
Citrulline Malate 4g 1.6 out of 3
Betaine 1g 1.6 out of 3

HMB
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/hmb/

BCAAs?
I get those in my whey every damn day.

Sodium?
Sodium 800mg
Every morning in water along with potassium/lite salt

1 kilo bag of creatine, $20, check

My proprietary blend also has caffeine and MCT oil.

I'd rather buy more whey with that $50 a month. Or two-ish weeks, whatever it is with 2 doses per session.
And i don't think that dosing of betaine is at the levels needed to make a big difference.
I'll just keep using spinach in my morning shake.

James

Post by James » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:51 am

I think I'm allergic to B12 lozenges. A few months ago my doctor told me I was slightly b12 deficient and getting some under the tongue lozenges would help. I did but after while spicy food started to burn my gums more but didn't pay it any mind. Over time it got worse and worse. About two weeks ago tooth paste started to feel like scrubbing in acid and eating was painful I stopped the b12 a couple days ago and its completely gone.

Sitting here googling "foods with b12" now. Maybe start an energy drink habit. Pina colada bangs are pretty tasty.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 am

James wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:51 am I think I'm allergic to B12 lozenges. A few months ago my doctor told me I was slightly b12 deficient and getting some under the tongue lozenges would help. I did but after while spicy food started to burn my gums more but didn't pay it any mind. Over time it got worse and worse. About two weeks ago tooth paste started to feel like scrubbing in acid and eating was painful I stopped the b12 a couple days ago and its completely gone.

Sitting here googling "foods with b12" now. Maybe start an energy drink habit. Pina colada bangs are pretty tasty.

Maybe just take a multi once a day.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:04 am

James wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:44 am BBM generally programs MT/TF lifting with Wed/Sat GPP "extra" training sessions so it kind of makes sense to dose it around six training days a week.
A pre-post-supplement-package designed around their templates .... genius.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 am

James wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:51 am I think I'm allergic to B12 lozenges. A few months ago my doctor told me I was slightly b12 deficient and getting some under the tongue lozenges would help. I did but after while spicy food started to burn my gums more but didn't pay it any mind. Over time it got worse and worse. About two weeks ago tooth paste started to feel like scrubbing in acid and eating was painful I stopped the b12 a couple days ago and its completely gone.

are you a vegetarian / vegan ?

James

Post by James » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:00 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 am Maybe just take a multi once a day.
Might try that but b12 was the only thing she mentioned.
mbasic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 am are you a vegetarian / vegan ?
Nope. Generally I have 3~ eggs with breakfast and I basically live on chicken.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:51 pm

Canadian members, are the Canadian protein powders inspected more regularly and to a higher standard than the U.S. FDA non approved versions? Are your manufacturer's regulatory organizations more strict than the U.S. versions? I use non flavored NOW brand isolate and wondered if the Canadian version would be guaranteed to be purer, contain the amount of protein on the label etc. over U.S. brands.

I looked at NOW's Canadian site and did some internet digging but didn't find anything that directly compared the two countries' versions of the same products.
Thanks.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:20 am

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:52 am

I thought he would promote the Whey RX from BBM which comes at 40$ for 800 Gramm. But i guess that's just food.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:56 am

Welp I guess I'm gonna start experimenting with drugs now and can no longer claim natty status...

Finally got curious (enough) to know if it would have any decent training effect so whenever it gets here I'm gonna start using ~6g citrulline, ~3.2g beta alanine, and ~2.5g betaine on training days on top of my daily 5g creatine. There's various other crap (350mg of caffeine yessss) but those are the actives I'm aware of. I needed to order whey and my taste buds have driven me back in to the loving arms of Redcon1, and they had a deal going on their Total War (pre) and Big Noise (pump bruh) stack with 30% off... made it cheaper than just buying the whey and pre on amazon so I pulled the trigger...

I'll report back...

Side note, Ouroboros has 'upped' their price to $40 to include shipping... which may be an overall increase of a few bucks, not sure...

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:34 am

I just realized I hardly take any whey anymore. I'm probably not going to get more when I run out either.
Just regular food and milk seems to work just fine for me. So that would mean no supps for me at all.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am

mouse wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:56 am Welp I guess I'm gonna start experimenting with drugs now and can no longer claim natty status...

Finally got curious (enough) to know if it would have any decent training effect so whenever it gets here I'm gonna start using ~6g citrulline, ~3.2g beta alanine, and ~2.5g betaine on training days on top of my daily 5g creatine. There's various other crap (350mg of caffeine yessss) but those are the actives I'm aware of. I needed to order whey and my taste buds have driven me back in to the loving arms of Redcon1, and they had a deal going on their Total War (pre) and Big Noise (pump bruh) stack with 30% off... made it cheaper than just buying the whey and pre on amazon so I pulled the trigger...

I'll report back...

Side note, Ouroboros has 'upped' their price to $40 to include shipping... which may be an overall increase of a few bucks, not sure...
How are you going to objectively measure their impact on training? Genuinely curious.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Brackish wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am How are you going to objectively measure their impact on training? Genuinely curious.
I don't have a very scientific method or anything... basically just start using them and see if 'weak' spots I'm looking to fix change. Can I cut down on rest times? Do I have the same burn out I get sometimes with high(er) rep stuff? Do I generally feel better post-training than normal? Supposedly there is benefit to being able to sneak out a few extra reps over time and I'll have a deadlift for reps coming up, so if it improves cool...