what supps you take, bruh?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

CeeKa

Re: what supps you take, bruh?

Post by CeeKa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:04 am

Murelli wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 am I don't know how it is in your country, but are you consulting with an allergist/immunologist? Have you been through a desensitization therapy?

I'm assuming you already tried hydrolyzed whey.
I have never considered consulting an allergist, to be honest. Might check that out and at least identifiy the exact allergen. Not sure about immunotherapy though, because this (according to some allergy website) apparently takes up to two years with daily consumption of milk and I don't want to have symptoms for 1,5-2 years. But maybe there are alternative therapies.

Hydrolyzed whey is double the price of concentrate and vegan protein. Way over my budget and I'm not sure if it wouldn't cause symptoms.

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:47 am

CeeKa wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:04 am Hydrolyzed whey is double the price of concentrate and vegan protein. Way over my budget and I'm not sure if it wouldn't cause symptoms.
It may be a scam (or all in my head), but the only whey protein that my stomach/body agrees with is New Zealand Isolate. I've tried concentrate, and a few other isolate's that are cheaper, but they've wrecked havoc on my stomach.

I used a split pea protein for a while because of that (this was years ago) and that was fine for me.

Although the New Zealand whey that I buy isn't the cheapest, thankfully I'm able to get most of my protein from other food sources.

quark

Post by quark » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:09 pm

What's the recommended amount of caffeine (for someone who otherwise doesn't take any)?

sklunk

Post by sklunk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:07 pm

BenM wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:29 pm Thanks for the reminder Patrick, I've been meaning to experiment with a mask too. We have a couple (which we take travelling) but I've never actually used one.

We have a soft light on in our 3 year old's bedroom and a nightlight in the hallway so our bedroom is never completely dark....
It might be overkill, but to keep light from the hallway out, I installed a curtain rod over my door and hung a blackout curtain. Blocks out everything from the cracks around my door. I tried a mask, but found it too uncomfortable.

I take everything in Peri-Rx except for the BCAAs because I'm an idiot and must rely on smart people to tell me what is best. I don't have a clue how much of a benefit I'm getting from it.

I wasn't aware of the possible benefits to my junk of taking citrulline malate. How much do I need to take to get that going?

sklunk

Post by sklunk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Oh, I also take quite a bit of caffeine, on lifting and non-lifting days.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm

sklunk wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:07 pm I wasn't aware of the possible benefits to my junk of taking citrulline malate. How much do I need to take to get that going?
And is it the same as just L Citrulline?

DoubleBreastedAmazon

Post by DoubleBreastedAmazon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Daily creatine.
Whey during training and daily during cuts.
Used to take daily BCAAs, stopped a while back with no noticeable effects.

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Post by PatrickDB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 pm

I got interested enough in betaine to order some. There's only one positive study in humans, but studies where it's used in animal feed to increase muscle mass and decrease fat mass to improve the quality of the meat are very encouraging.

See the "body composition" section of this review:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24760587

Use sci-hub.hk if you need access.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:55 pm

I tried a canister of Gainzzz RX and I felt well recovered, etc. It ran out and I couldn't order more (not in stock at Amazon or BBM) so I stopped and still felt good. I think that had more to do with eating well and sleeping well and less to do with the supplements. I have used creatine but don't see or feel a difference so perhaps I'm a non-responder. For now I tend to just mix up a protein shake if I'm feeling underfed or underrecovered.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 pm

sklunk wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:07 pm I wasn't aware of the possible benefits to my junk of taking citrulline malate. How much do I need to take to get that going?
Heaped teaspoon/5-6g is the recommended dose for my junk. It indeed spiked my pants elevation levels.
cgeorg wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm
And is it the same as just L Citrulline?
Given that I barely passed high-school chemistry, and therefore feel amply qualified to don the protective goggles and let slip the Bunsen burners of war, my recent use of google informs me that a number of very dodgy looking supplement spruiking sites state that the malate bit somehow boosts ATP production to levels of performance that will allow you to live through a snu-snu session with She-Hulk, while the L Citrulline bit will just cause spooging gigalitres of raw unadulterated Arginine incarnate to course rabidly like radiant liquid manfire through your limbic system or heart or some shit. Which allows you to survive a snu-snu three-way with She-Hulk and Hulk. I know I went a bit heavy with the science, but this is what Exodus is putatively about.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Get the malate, check

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 am

I'll be the odd-man out here. I've never taken creatine and don't eat protein powder on a regular basis.

I take melatonin nightly, though I occasionally get angry at myself for using it regularly, so I cut it out for a couple of months. I drink coffee every day, but I also have two four year olds who wake up ridiculously early.
Last edited by Chebass88 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am

One scoop P and 5g creatine in the morning. I suspect given my current intake the P is probably not necessary, but I haven't tracked in a while and breakfast is the meal lowest in protein for me so I just add the scoop to try and balance things out.

JSteez

Post by JSteez » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:58 pm

rjharris wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 am Vitamin D -- started this because I felt pretty run down in the afternoon all the time. Since taking it (anywhere between 2-4k IU), I've felt much better.
I'm thinking about giving this a try as well. Had some labs done recently and they show low levels. Increased sun exposure would help, but as I'm a very fair skinned individual with a family history of skin cancer I'm super hesitant to up my exposure!

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:21 pm

JSteez wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:58 pm I'm thinking about giving this a try as well. Had some labs done recently and they show low levels. Increased sun exposure would help, but as I'm a very fair skinned individual with a family history of skin cancer I'm super hesitant to up my exposure!

Sunlight is probably better, if for no other reason than it means you're outside and probably at least quasi active.

I'm still taking vitamin D, but I probably will refrain from buying more after what I have runs out until fall. I'll just try to get outside more during the day. We'll see what happens.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:56 am

quark wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:09 pm What's the recommended amount of caffeine (for someone who otherwise doesn't take any)?
If you never take caffeine @quark, just start with 50mg and see how you respond. Work up to 100mg and just use that for as long as it's effective.

200mg is the "normal" dose for a pre-workout. I've taken 200mg prior to lifting for the past 2 years or so. Supposedly, up to 400mg/daily is safe, but I've never tried more than 250 mg. 200mg is still pretty effective for me.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:01 am

rjharris wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:21 pm
JSteez wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:58 pm I'm thinking about giving this a try as well. Had some labs done recently and they show low levels. Increased sun exposure would help, but as I'm a very fair skinned individual with a family history of skin cancer I'm super hesitant to up my exposure!

Sunlight is probably better, if for no other reason than it means you're outside and probably at least quasi active.

I'm still taking vitamin D, but I probably will refrain from buying more after what I have runs out until fall. I'll just try to get outside more during the day. We'll see what happens.
...except you are supposed to be wearing sunscreen if you're outside so you'll need vitamin D anyway.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 am

brkriete wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:01 am ...except you are supposed to be wearing sunscreen if you're outside so you'll need vitamin D anyway.
I just try to be out in the sun briefly every day, w/o sunscreen.

You don't need (or want) a deep tan for good health, you can get a day's vitamin D in 10 minutes if you are pale.

ithryn

Post by ithryn » Sat May 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Caffeine caffeine caffeine

Vitamin D - Chicago doesn't see the sun for 8 months

Creatine on faith alone. Never noticed anything.

BCAAs between some meals because I still have them, they taste good, and the heck with Jordan changing his mind every six months

Melatonin or sometimes even Benadryl for sleep

Whey is a food

I have tried beta alanine, citrulline, betaine, taurosine, and yohimbine (up to 25 mg / day) and honestly noticed zero effect what. so. ever.

Supps are fun and addictive but I'm getting burnt out. Especially watching Cheb and Mahendra destroy weights without even creatine.

Anymore, anything on Amazon that had 587 five star reviews that just say "I took it for two months and I kinda think it maybe helped a little" I don't even consider.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun May 06, 2018 6:56 am

ithryn wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:56 pm Caffeine caffeine caffeine

Vitamin D - Chicago doesn't see the sun for 8 months

Creatine on faith alone. Never noticed anything.

BCAAs between some meals because I still have them, they taste good, and the heck with Jordan changing his mind every six months

Melatonin or sometimes even Benadryl for sleep

Whey is a food

I have tried beta alanine, citrulline, betaine, taurosine, and yohimbine (up to 25 mg / day) and honestly noticed zero effect what. so. ever.

Supps are fun and addictive but I'm getting burnt out. Especially watching Cheb and Mahendra destroy weights without even creatine.

Anymore, anything on Amazon that had 587 five star reviews that just say "I took it for two months and I kinda think it maybe helped a little" I don't even consider.
Magnesium is used in well over 300 functions in the body.
Largely as a co factor. It's used in metabolizing Vit D3. To the point where D3 supplementation without proper levels of magnesium in the diet can lead to (further) magnesium deficiency.

I always take a magnesium glycinate cap with my D3. twice a day.
Magnesium oxide is cheap, but doesn't absorb well, and can make you poop because of that.
mag citrate is another prefered form, but it's more expensive than glycinate, which is a good choice.