what supps you take, bruh?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

cwd

Re: what supps you take, bruh?

Post by cwd » Sat May 25, 2019 2:01 pm

My impression from the podcast is that it's still at least a little plausible that HMB works, just not probably as well as the original study said.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:42 pm

aurelius wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 am Try adding to your shakes to get the fiber and fats. Examples:
That's a good idea!

I've actually joined @broseph in the psylium husk club, and it's working beautifully.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 am

platypus wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:42 pm
aurelius wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 am Try adding to your shakes to get the fiber and fats. Examples:
That's a good idea!

I've actually joined @broseph in the psylium husk club, and it's working beautifully.
I love that shit. I'm curious to see what my cholesterol levels look like after taking it for close to a year? (I've lost all track of time. I thought I was about 10 years younger. I had a horrible realization the other day. . . .)

Yesterday, my vet prescribed one of my cats Glucosamine. He seems to have a slight fracture in his right femeral head. She was kind of like it can't hurt and we can charge you for it. . . .

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 am

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 amI love that shit. I'm curious to see what my cholesterol levels look like after taking it for close to a year?
I can tell you my LDL levels are not good. I blame the alcoholism. Seriously. Doctor told me 10 drinks a week is the threshold. I decided to embrace the disease. It is a standard of living issue.

I did some interweb sleuthing and could not find studies that suggests whey protein increases LDL cholesterol. Does anyone else know about this?

AlecLeamas

Post by AlecLeamas » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 am

aurelius wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 am I did some interweb sleuthing and could not find studies that suggests whey protein increases LDL cholesterol. Does anyone else know about this?
I think I remember Austin and/or Jordan saying that some people (a small minority, as I understood it) may get negative effects on their blood lipids from whey protein.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:58 am

Anyone use or have any thoughts on supplementing with Astaxanthin?

CeeKa

Post by CeeKa » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 am

Can anyone comment on how inferior beef protein powder is in terms of bioavailability/quality etc.? I get acne and dandruff from dairy protein (like whey), egg white powder gives me the runs and plant based powders (pea and blends) taste disgusting (and sometimes also give me the runs).

Many sources say that beef protein powder is nothing but collagen/tendons and other garbage. This wouldn't surprise me, since those sources are cheap. But little can I find on how inefficiently the body can use those crap proteins. Is it more in the range of "100g of beef isolate will help you as much as 50g of whey" or rather like "95% of the beef garbage goes straight through you, so better save the money for whiskey"?

I don't eat enough protein at all. This probably won't change much, since I like to eat things that don't always consist of 300g meat. Some powdered protein would help me a lot, but I wouldn't bother if it doesn't make a difference.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:40 am

CeeKa wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 am Can anyone comment on how inferior beef protein powder is in terms of bioavailability/quality etc.? I get acne and dandruff from dairy protein (like whey), egg white powder gives me the runs and plant based powders (pea and blends) taste disgusting (and sometimes also give me the runs).
Any sudden change in diet will give you the runs at first. It takes a few days for your gut bacteria to adapt to the new mix and decompose it efficiently. I.e. if you eat pea protein every day for 10 days you might get better at it. Maybe ramp up the dose gradually.

Dunno if a similar adaptive thing will affect symptoms like acne and dandruff though.

Also, it's generally easier on your gut to mix the protein with a bunch of real food. I.e. put the powder in your morning oatmeal or breakfast cereal rather than drinking it straight. For this you want unflavored powders.

Isolates (rather than concentrates) cost more, but are less likely to upset your guts. The concentrates still have some carbs in them, and the carbs are often what causes problems -- lactose in whey, triglycerides in legumes.

Dunno about the quality of beef protein. I've read that collagen (from hide and bones etc) has the wrong amino-acid mix for growing muscle, you want beef-protein-from-muscle. It's a shame, because unflavored gelatin powder is cheap, and it's collagen.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 am

CeeKa wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 am Can anyone comment on how inferior beef protein powder is in terms of bioavailability/quality etc.? I get acne and dandruff from dairy protein (like whey), egg white powder gives me the runs and plant based powders (pea and blends) taste disgusting (and sometimes also give me the runs).

Many sources say that beef protein powder is nothing but collagen/tendons and other garbage. This wouldn't surprise me, since those sources are cheap. But little can I find on how inefficiently the body can use those crap proteins. Is it more in the range of "100g of beef isolate will help you as much as 50g of whey" or rather like "95% of the beef garbage goes straight through you, so better save the money for whiskey"?

I don't eat enough protein at all. This probably won't change much, since I like to eat things that don't always consist of 300g meat. Some powdered protein would help me a lot, but I wouldn't bother if it doesn't make a difference.
Beef protein powder is worthless. It's made from collagen-hydrolysate and provides less than 30% of the essential aminoacids of a high quality protein source. Good for your fingernails, useless for everything else.

Maybe you could supplement your protein-intake with EAA powder. It's double the cost of whey but has everything you need without the other stuff thats in whey powder.

I have a bag of ESN Fruity Whey Isolate. Its a whey isolate spiked with BCAA's. It has almost no Lactose, 0 fat, 1g of carbs and 90g of protein. The powder is not like whey, but like flour and the texture of the shake is like water/fruit-juice. Maybe something like that is worth a try.

CeeKa

Post by CeeKa » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 am

Thanks for the input, to both of you. I didn't clarify, but I tested the different protein powders for several months. They don't exactly give me full watery diarrhea, but things are not how I'd like them to be when I consume those powders. Also the farts stink so horribly that I cannot let one rip even silently when I'm around people.

I have (likely) no issues with lactose but rather the actual cow milk proteins (hence also acne & inflamed skin with whey isolate). I feel this every time I'm less consistent with dairy products, like when I have cheese on my burger and some cream in the steak sauce. Basically when I consume little dairy products every other day or so, the skin on my face gets inflamed (nose, eyebrows, ears).

I thought about supplementing with pure EAA powder before. Never tried it because that costs like 50€ per kg. But it might be my only option.

I'm gonna throw away my plans using beef protein powder.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 am

@CeeKa

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 am

cwd wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:40 amI.e. put the powder in your morning oatmeal or breakfast cereal rather than drinking it straight. For this you want unflavored powders.
I respectfully disagree. I mixed some S'Mores-flavored powder from MyProtein into my oatmeal/banana mix this morning, and it was definitely better than it would've been if it were unflavored.

CeeKa

Post by CeeKa » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 am

mettkeks wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 am @CeeKa

Oh hell naw.

BigE

Post by BigE » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:46 am

Brian Shaw claims that OJ and tuna smoothies are good.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:21 pm

BigE wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:46 am

Brian Shaw claims that OJ and tuna smoothies are good.
The tuna shake is ok. Tastes like tuna and it's down quick. I will try it with OJ tomorrow, that sounds interesting. Chicken Banana smoothies are pretty enjoyable actually.

Brian Sumners Chicken, broccoli and peanut butter shake is where I draw the line.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:56 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 am
cwd wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:40 amI.e. put the powder in your morning oatmeal or breakfast cereal rather than drinking it straight. For this you want unflavored powders.
I respectfully disagree. I mixed some S'Mores-flavored powder from MyProtein into my oatmeal/banana mix this morning, and it was definitely better than it would've been if it were unflavored.
You make a strong case, sir.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Myprotein makes a cinnamon roll flavor as well, I've never had it but I bet it'd be deIicious in oatmeal

PC

Post by PC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:12 am

Stenson wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:24 pm Myprotein makes a cinnamon roll flavor as well, I've never had it but I bet it'd be deIicious in oatmeal
Agreed. They also make a salted caramel flavor that I've heard several times is good. I normally mix protein with water. Anybody have experience with these more "candy" flavors, if so, how do you take them?

FredM

Post by FredM » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 am

CeeKa wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 am Thanks for the input, to both of you. I didn't clarify, but I tested the different protein powders for several months. They don't exactly give me full watery diarrhea, but things are not how I'd like them to be when I consume those powders. Also the farts stink so horribly that I cannot let one rip even silently when I'm around people.

I have (likely) no issues with lactose but rather the actual cow milk proteins (hence also acne & inflamed skin with whey isolate). I feel this every time I'm less consistent with dairy products, like when I have cheese on my burger and some cream in the steak sauce. Basically when I consume little dairy products every other day or so, the skin on my face gets inflamed (nose, eyebrows, ears).

I thought about supplementing with pure EAA powder before. Never tried it because that costs like 50€ per kg. But it might be my only option.

I'm gonna throw away my plans using beef protein powder.
Mike Mathews just released a vegan protein powder. His stuff always tastes good.

Barbell medicine has one too.

I consume a lot of chocolate huel lately so know it’s possible to make pea protein almost palatable.

Col

Post by Col » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:56 am

Well, since I haven't seen my 'one weird trick!', 'doctor's hate him!', 'superstack of ubergains' mentioned;

Zinc (250mg/day) and folic acid (5mg/day).

I also treat Whey like a substance of abuse (I can stop any time I want, I just don't want to) and I take Creatine and Fish Oil ... like everybody else.