what supps you take, bruh?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: what supps you take, bruh?

Post by TimK » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:48 am

PC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:12 am
Stenson wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:24 pm Myprotein makes a cinnamon roll flavor as well, I've never had it but I bet it'd be deIicious in oatmeal
Agreed. They also make a salted caramel flavor that I've heard several times is good. I normally mix protein with water. Anybody have experience with these more "candy" flavors, if so, how do you take them?
I tried the Myprotein Salted Caramel, I think when they first came out with it. I only ordered 2lbs because it was more expensive than the chocolate smooth that I normally get. It was good, liked it more than the chocolate smooth. I typically drink it with just water although of course if you mix it with milk it's creamier and tastes even better. Last time I stocked up on protein it was the same price as chocolate smooth, so I ordered an 11lb bag.

cole

Post by cole » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:17 am

im more concerned with the quality of the supps i take -- currently taking creatine monohydrate and whey isloate (both from MyProtein) no idea if the quality is better or worse than other products on the market. i do like the fact that the protein only has 2 ingredients: protein and lechtamin (for mixing) bc i get the unflavored.

i used to take up to 4 scoops - 100g a day. im scaling back bc i think just eating healthy whole foods with protein every meal is probably fine. ive no idea if im ingesting quality protein or not when i drink the shakes. MyProtein is the cheapest by far, i can buy an 11lb bag for 70 bucks. is that good or bad??? maybe im just eating fillers who knows.

the creatine is now just habit. i do know that i typically weigh around 215 when i take creatine, and when im off im only around 195-200 so there is a significant effect for me. some of this is correlated with timing ---when i get back on creatine, historically its bc im motivated to gain weight and train hard, so the weight gain may be due in part to lifting heavier/more and eating more out of motivation reasons. ive considered stopping creatine in case its effects take long term studies to decide if its bad for you (doubt it).

for now, im happy with Myprotein brand. i know its not the best, not cGMP certified either, but it seems to have a good rep and i feel pretty good while taking it.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:20 am

I've started doing 8 grams glycine everyday.

2 in my morning creatine water, and 2 in each of three shakes.

So, total daily supplement list is -
1 no iron multivitamin with a broad spectrum of trace elements and polyphenols.
2 magnesiun glycinate capsules. 120mg net magnesium each
2 2,000 iu D3 capsules.
8 grams glycine powder.
1 K+K2 capsule (two times a week.)
4ish grams creatine monohydrate.
Salt, and some potassium.

I don't count whey isolate as a supplement, since it's my main protein food.
I do get a good amount of potassium from my whey. Other main food sources are chard and brocolli.
It's a little harder to get enough potassium eating keto.
Less than 2 months till my 3 year ketoversary.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:03 am

cole wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:17 am for now, im happy with Myprotein brand. i know its not the best, not cGMP certified either, but it seems to have a good rep and i feel pretty good while taking it.
I thought Lab Door testing showed MyProtein to be among the top manufacturers?

cole

Post by cole » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:31 am

Allentown wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:03 am
cole wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:17 am for now, im happy with Myprotein brand. i know its not the best, not cGMP certified either, but it seems to have a good rep and i feel pretty good while taking it.
I thought Lab Door testing showed MyProtein to be among the top manufacturers?
i think their isolate is #2 or #3 with a 90+ rating. im not sure how unbias they are, or even how thourough for that matter. i asked jordan if they are a reputable source in ranking protein and he said no. also could be bc he sells his own supps. im no scientist or nutritionist, so all im goin on is the ingredient list, which like i said has only 2 ingredients in the unflavored whey isolate, whici is why i like it. however, when comparing this product to NOWs organic grass fed protein (almost 30$/lb!) i scoop of it is 25g, AND has 25g of protein. whereas 1 scoop of the MyProtein isolate is 25g and only has 22g of protein. what is the other 3???? i dont care bc i can get an 11lb bag for 75$ haha. im starting to phase out protein and creatine, im not elite, not competitive, and might as well just spend the money on healthier food and be the best me i can be without dependency on supplements and powder food. ill prob always take 1 scoop a day though directly after training.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 am

cole wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:31 amim starting to phase out protein and creatine, im not elite, not competitive, and might as well just spend the money on healthier food
How much are you spending on creatine? Mine comes out to less than ten cents a day. Not sure how much better food I could get for three bucks a month.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 am

I'm dubious about the claim of 25 grams protein in a 25 gram scoop.

I mean, isolate comes from the manufacturers as 90% protein content.
The repackagers aren't going to be able to change that.

I'm open to being proven wrong about that, but afaik, i'm not.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:57 am

cole wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:31 am i asked jordan if they are a reputable source in ranking protein and he said no. also could be bc he sells his own supps.
I'm like 90% sure Jordan was the reason I found out about myprotein in the first place.

Like you said, he's in the biz now, and I would never fault him for not wanting to pimp a competitor... but I'm pretty sure MP is good to go.

cole

Post by cole » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:53 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 am
cole wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:31 amim starting to phase out protein and creatine, im not elite, not competitive, and might as well just spend the money on healthier food
How much are you spending on creatine? Mine comes out to less than ten cents a day. Not sure how much better food I could get for three bucks a month.
Sure, the creatine is cheap. I've been taking it for 3 years straight. I'll prob keep doing it. It would suck if 20 years down the road they discovered it causes cancer though. It's in the back of my mind sometimes, clearly paranoia

cole

Post by cole » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:56 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 am I'm dubious about the claim of 25 grams protein in a 25 gram scoop.

I mean, isolate comes from the manufacturers as 90% protein content.
The repackagers aren't going to be able to change that.

I'm open to being proven wrong about that, but afaik, i'm not.

I just fact-checked myself on the NOW isolate, the serving size was actually 28 grams and the protein content 25 grams. The ratio is the same for the Myprotein in this case. for some reason I must have just assumed the serving size were the same. Sorry for putting out fake news.

cole

Post by cole » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 am

mouse wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:57 am
cole wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:31 am i asked jordan if they are a reputable source in ranking protein and he said no. also could be bc he sells his own supps.
I'm like 90% sure Jordan was the reason I found out about myprotein in the first place.

Like you said, he's in the biz now, and I would never fault him for not wanting to pimp a competitor... but I'm pretty sure MP is good to go.
Yeah, I also I've heard Austin say that that's what he takes. I think I was having a paranoia day yesterday when I typed that. I will continue as normal.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am

No worries, @cole

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:53 am

cole wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:53 am Sure, the creatine is cheap. I've been taking it for 3 years straight. I'll prob keep doing it. It would suck if 20 years down the road they discovered it causes cancer though. It's in the back of my mind sometimes, clearly paranoia
Odds are not bad that in 20 years, you will have some sort of cancer, creatine or no.

PC

Post by PC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:27 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:57 am

He is where I got my recommendation for MyProtein. See link below:

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... ost1619744

-reference is two years old

cole

Post by cole » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:53 am
cole wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:53 am Sure, the creatine is cheap. I've been taking it for 3 years straight. I'll prob keep doing it. It would suck if 20 years down the road they discovered it causes cancer though. It's in the back of my mind sometimes, clearly paranoia
Odds are not bad that in 20 years, you will have some sort of cancer, creatine or no.
haha i dont know about 20, hope not. but, if i could get 40 years of guaranteed health, then struck down by cancer at 75, id take that scenario any day. 75 is a little early, but 40 years of health is a powerful thing.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:04 am

I really should get better at eating enough protein every day.

Apart from that I don't take any supplements at all anymore.
When I did take them I didn't really feel any better.
And now that I don't take them I don't feel any worse.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:09 am

My list currently is

Morning:
- Omega 3s (MyProtein)
- Digestive enzymes
- Vitamin D3
- Creatine

At night I take digestive enzymes with the evening meal too. As far as actual supplements go; that's it. Barely even use whey any kore since I get decent servings of protein at every meal via either meat or dairy or both.

I used to take all sorts of other stuff. Ashwagandha (not sure it did much). ZMA and melatonin at bedtime. BCAAs between and sometimes with meals. Preworkouts. Experimented with collagen/vitamin C preworkout for a while. Made life so much more complicated than it needed to be. There really is no substitute for just eating enough food.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:20 am

cole wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 pm haha i dont know about 20, hope not. but, if i could get 40 years of guaranteed health, then struck down by cancer at 75, id take that scenario any day. 75 is a little early, but 40 years of health is a powerful thing.
Odds are pretty good it won't kill you, either.
I don't mean, like, 80% or anything, but probably something over 10%? We are fragile creatures, slowly evolving to live in our current environment of longevity.

quikky

Post by quikky » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 am

I used to take beta alanine, betaine anhydrous, BCAAs, and creatine. Currently down to just creatine. In all honesty, I've never noticed anything from any of these supplements. I'll keep taking creatine just because there is enough research behind it that it's probably doing something, but the rest are just money for supplement companies, in my opinion.

cgeorgiev

Post by cgeorgiev » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 am

I'm trying out buying bulk ingredients and mixing my own Gainzzz-Rx to save a few bucks. 30 day supply of BCAAs, Betaine Anhydrous, Beta-Alinine, Citrulline Malate, HMB, Creatine Monohydrate. I'm coming back from a layoff and my work capacity just isn't there, so I'm trying to get all the help I can get. So far, it tastes terrible, and I'm paranoid I messed up the ratios or it's not evenly distributed because I haven't got the beta-alinine tinglezzz at all yet.