The Strongman Thread

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

BigE

Re: The Strongman Thread

Post by BigE » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Shaw put out a good video about the WSM event, even though Eddie wasn’t in it.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Posting for our friend, @Lmeadows!

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 am

This is the kid from Buffalo that won USS teen nats this year...

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn0 ... h-20190625

mouse

Post by mouse » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Some time from now I'm sure there will be a photo dump where one of the pictures will prove Jerry Pritchett used my straps to demonstrate his snatch grip pulls... apparently I'm on an annual mission to get him to use a piece of my equipment hahaha...

This is where my deadlift power stems from...

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Not exactly STRONGMAN but I want to breathe life into this thread...

Somebody call Eddie Hall... within inches of 501...

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:12 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:08 pm Not exactly STRONGMAN but I want to breathe life into this thread...

Somebody call Eddie Hall... within inches of 501...

It is in cyrillic so wouldn't have counted anyway.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Excellent point

Col

Post by Col » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Anybody catch the World's Ultimate Strongman livestream from Dubai over the weekend?

I didn't, but I really feel like I saw the best bits of the show via the athlete's YouTube channels (the Stoltman brothers as well as Laurence Shahlaei, Thor and Martins Licis even though the last 3 were not competing).

In case anyone doesn't know, and wants to, the top 4 were:

1 - Mateusz Kieliszkowski (won it despite a torn bicep)
2 - Luke Stoltman (who had, just the week before, returned from shift on an off-shore oil rig)
3 - Tom Stoltman
4 - Brian Shaw

Kieliszkowski pulled an easy looking 420kg in the deadlift for max weight event - I think his competition collectively had an 'oh shit!' moment when that happened. A less than top-5 deadlift has traditionally been Kieliszkowski's Achilles Heel (he's top 3 on everything else) and now that he can pull numbers like the big boys, I think he will be unbeatable if he stays healthy.

Brian would have placed better if he hadn't 'bombed' (by his standards) in the deadlift - his best pull was 400kg, tied for last place (yes, I have trouble typing that as well ... a 400kg - 880lb - deadlift placed LAST! ... professional strongman is fast transcending the realm of human).

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:49 am

Mateusz is an absolute monster and deserving of every accolade he has received and has coming lol.

Dude only needed one stone to win the thing and did SEVEN with a torn bicep. He essentially did them one handed if you watch him. Absolutely agree that he seems to have learned to deadlift and he may be unstoppable now.

I feel bad for Brian lately, I really do... I don't know if it's his recent diet changes and weight loss (he ditched the Vertical Diet and went back to Nathan Payton) or just age and the young dudes catching up with him. I think the deadlift is just a result of him pushing too damn hard. He's had a max deadlift at pretty much EVERY contest this year, which would seem that sponsors are trying to force 501k to happen. Even for a guy like Shaw (maybe ESPECIALLY for a guy like Shaw) that's fucking taxing.

Ultimate Strongman looks like it might become the next biggest show outside of the Arnold and WSM... but they have to figure out the stupid mistakes they're making first. From what I've read they seem to have sacrificed some important stuff in favor of showmanship. I heard Shaw complained about the log press because it was on a stage, and that the floor was warping/buckling under the weight. I also for the life of me don't understand the 300kg yoke. That's 40 lbs LESS than the weight I competed with this past May... that's AMATEUR level weight...

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 pm

Yea Kieliszkowski will be a dominant force for a decade imo if he remains injury free and hungry. Stoltmans' on the ascendancy as well; Luke might not have age on his side but he's being trained by Seb Oreb and it's showing with his increase in performance. Think Luke's one to watch for the future (biased obviously).

Good to see Luke Richardson and Terry Hollands place first in their respective divisions at the Official Strongman Games.

Did a couple of the top guys not acquire significant injuries with the 400kg+ yokes earlier in the year at WSM? Probably unrelated as to their decision to use a lighter weight though.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:46 am

mouse wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:49 am I also for the life of me don't understand the 300kg yoke. That's 40 lbs LESS than the weight I competed with this past May... that's AMATEUR level weight...
Next year:

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:48 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 pm Did a couple of the top guys not acquire significant injuries with the 400kg+ yokes earlier in the year at WSM? Probably unrelated as to their decision to use a lighter weight though.
I think I heard the yoke weight had more to do with the surface they were on than injuries... if that's the case... just DON'T DO YOKE lol...
TimK wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:46 am
mouse wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:49 am I also for the life of me don't understand the 300kg yoke. That's 40 lbs LESS than the weight I competed with this past May... that's AMATEUR level weight...
Next year:

Brick Carry FTW...

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:21 am

mouse wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:48 am Brick Carry FTW...
literally

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Anyone one else having a hard time finding amateur / un sanctioned local shows? I literally used to have like 3 or 4 a year to pick from. Now I'm lucky if I can find one around.

I will say that there seems to be many more sanctioned shows now. But most of the time the weight is brutal and the cost to compete is now as much or more then powerlifting!

I used to get 200 or so dollars placing in local shows. Now I'm lucky to get a jug or protein for placing! :lol: Last meet I came in second and got a engraved mug!

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am

zappey1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm Anyone one else having a hard time finding amateur / un sanctioned local shows? I literally used to have like 3 or 4 a year to pick from. Now I'm lucky if I can find one around.
I got my start in an unsanctioned contest, but since then they're pretty rare if not totally unheard of in my immediate area. There's a local gym that occasionally holds novice seminars leading up to a contest, but the contest is still sanctioned if I recall. I'm gonna probably drive to Ohio in January to do an unsanctioned contest because 1) I love food in Ohio and 2) there is a max reps deadlift outside in the winter surrounded by fire... so I mean...
zappey1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm I will say that there seems to be many more sanctioned shows now. But most of the time the weight is brutal
Define "brutal". You've got a 585 squat and 580 deadlift, which at 275 isn't super competitive, but you should still be able to hang. How's your overhead?

I've been competing in open USS shows in the 242/275s for two years now and skipped the novice class. The shows are heavy for sure, but I'm typically middle of the pack and sometimes squeak out 2nd or 3rd place depending on how stacked the class is. I've never been 100% confident going into a show and I've never signed up for a show that I knew I would dominate.
zappey1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm and the cost to compete is now as much or more then powerlifting!
OK yeah ya got me there... it's kind of a costly hobby. However, I love the sport and want to see it do well in my local area, so I suck it up, pay my entry fees, and support the people that are making it happen.
zappey1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pmI used to get 200 or so dollars placing in local shows.
zappey1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pmNow I'm lucky to get a jug or protein for placing! :lol: Last meet I came in second and got a engraved mug!
I'd call a 2nd place mug a win friend. Our local promoters do their best to make the top prizes interesting/fun, I've seen laser engraved mini-kegs and I know the top guys/girls in the contest I have coming up are getting 26lb Slater stones painted like Christmas ornaments.

The few times I've placed I walk away with my little engraved medal and a comp shirt. Sometimes sponsors will throw in some gear/swag for the top podiums. I've never competed for cash. But again, that's not what it's about in my book. Not to get all cliche, but I do it for the fun and the comradery of the local crew/athletes.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:26 am

5+ years ago most shows would have some kind of cash prize. I heard there is still some cash in highland games? I also know of a couple local grip shows that are now offering cash. I'll have to work on my grip before I can hope to win those.

As far as brutal weights go deadlifts at the last open meet I wanted to compete in were 635 for reps in a minute! I would be lucky to get one forget about reps! I want to say the log was 275 clean and press every rep in a minute. Again I would be lucky to get 1.

Lots of times the armature weights are just ridiculously low. I'm glad the sport is growing but often times it seems like what made it great in the first place is getting pushed aside for profit.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:26 am 5+ years ago most shows would have some kind of cash prize. I heard there is still some cash in highland games? I also know of a couple local grip shows that are now offering cash. I'll have to work on my grip before I can hope to win those.

As far as brutal weights go deadlifts at the last open meet I wanted to compete in were 635 for reps in a minute! I would be lucky to get one forget about reps! I want to say the log was 275 clean and press every rep in a minute. Again I would be lucky to get 1.

Lots of times the armature weights are just ridiculously low. I'm glad the sport is growing but often times it seems like what made it great in the first place is getting pushed aside for profit.
What show/fed was that? Just curious...

635 from the floor would be damned heavy for max reps, 275 on the log isn't totally crazy... show I did in May was 13" deadlift for reps @600 and a 260 log but that was clean once press away...

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 am

This is the one I want to compete in. I used to do it before it became a sanctioned event. Last year it was sanctioned and heavy AF so I did not compete. I could not find the weights. This year I hope to be ready.

The one I was talking about was in Oregon I texted my friend for the name I'll post it later after he gets back to me.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:39 am

This is the other one I wanted to compete in. I guess I was combining the two events.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:20 pm

zappey1 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:39 am This is the other one I wanted to compete in. I guess I was combining the two events.
This was the one I could find the reg for with weights... I would say that's pretty on par with most contests around me... the deadlift and medley I don't think I'd call brutal. The yoke is sufficiently heavy.... but I suck at yoke so I'm biased lol.

Where the hell was the overhead on that one!? That's the shocker.

And yeah NAS tends to have more expensive sign up fees from what I can tell... probably because they have a more direct path to the higher level comps... I dunno...