The Strongman Thread

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mouse

The Strongman Thread

Post by mouse » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:12 am

Anybody on here focus on/dabble in strongman? Figured it might be fun to have a thread similar to the powerlifting meet/results thread. Same idea, use this thread to:
  • Post info for upcoming meets/shows
  • Post results from meets you've competed in
  • Post training info/updates for your upcoming meet
  • Post pics/vids of meet results/PR's
  • General strongman talk and nonsense
I did my first unsanctioned novice meet back in September and fell in love... I'm in for two comps in 2018 so far, one semi-local and one I was willing to travel to WV for...

Next meet for me coming up is:

CNY's Strongest Man/Woman 2
Saturday May 5th, 2018
481 Sports Center 6841 Collamer Rd,
East Syracuse, NY 13057

I'm in the 242/275 class even though I could have gone novice, this being my first USS sanctioned meet.

Oly Bar C&P - 285lbs for reps
Axle Tire Squat - 475lbs for reps
Max Deadlift - Wessels Rules - I'm aiming for 500/550/600
Truck Pull - 50ft/60sec
Atlas Stone Series - 305/320/340

mouse

Re: The Strongman Thread

Post by mouse » Mon May 07, 2018 3:27 am

Nobody else do Strongman? Lol

That's cool, I'll keep this thread on life support...

Here was how CNY's Strongest went, ended up placing third... full breakdown in my log...

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon May 07, 2018 6:16 pm

great job @mouse ! I read your writeup this morning and was super impressed

I would love to do a strongman comp, but my overhead press and deadlift are far below even the opening weights. Are there ever any strongman comps in the tristate area that have novice divisions?

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 08, 2018 2:33 am

augeleven wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:16 pm great job @mouse ! I read your writeup this morning and was super impressed

I would love to do a strongman comp, but my overhead press and deadlift are far below even the opening weights. Are there ever any strongman comps in the tristate area that have novice divisions?
Not sure exactly where you are but there's a few things to keep your eye on, because in my experience, getting started can be harder than it actually is if you have no idea where to look:

1. Join the group Starting Strongman on FB. Kalle Beck runs it, and put out a feeler on there to see if there is anyone in your area. Odds are someone at least within driving distance of you has a strongman crew.

2. Comb through the events pages for United States Strongman or the Strongman Corporation events pages. These aren't the most "user friendly" at times but they will give you all of the sanctioned comps.

I know that there are at least a few meets that happen down in that area. NY Strongest comes to mind down in White Plains.

Ideally try and find a comp that is UNSANCTIONED so you don't have to shell out for the membership fee, EVERY comp that isn't a higher level/nationals meet is gonna have at least a "lightish" novice division. I say look for an unsanctioned one because sometimes those will be even lighter as a way to draw new people to the sport.

All that said, don't wait around forever to be "strong enough" either. If you find a meet sign up for it and start training. At the end of the day for me (and for most in Strongman in my experience) it's really just about getting together and having a good time lifting/moving weird stuff.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 am

mouse wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:33 am All that said, don't wait around forever to be "strong enough" either. If you find a meet sign up for it and start training. At the end of the day for me (and for most in Strongman in my experience) it's really just about getting together and having a good time lifting/moving weird stuff.
Good tips, thanks. I'm definitely guilty of the "I just want to be a little stronger first" thing. I really need to find something in my area, so I can at least say I did it, even if it's just in a novice division. I've got quite a few implements at home already, but I've found exactly one other guy in the area who is into it, and he didn't seem real interested in training together. If nothing else, I'd at least meet some like-minded people at a competition.

KoolaidMannn
ruff n tuff

Post by KoolaidMannn » Sat May 19, 2018 9:21 am

Yeah I just recently made the switch to strongman, and have really really enjoyed training for it so far.

I have a comp coming up on June 23rd out in Yuba City. A couple people I know are doing it so it should be fun, anr ivjust cut down to the 200/220 class from 240, so I decided to sign up for the open. It looks like I won’t zero on any events.. however car deadlift and Conan’s wheel weights still haven’t been released.

By the events are keg press medley, yoke/farmers medley, stone medley, car deadlift, and Conan’s wheel.

It should be a lot of fun!

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 am

KoolaidMannn wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:21 am Yeah I just recently made the switch to strongman, and have really really enjoyed training for it so far.

I have a comp coming up on June 23rd out in Yuba City. A couple people I know are doing it so it should be fun, anr ivjust cut down to the 200/220 class from 240, so I decided to sign up for the open. It looks like I won’t zero on any events.. however car deadlift and Conan’s wheel weights still haven’t been released.

By the events are keg press medley, yoke/farmers medley, stone medley, car deadlift, and Conan’s wheel.

It should be a lot of fun!
Keep us posted, Conan's Wheel sounds awesome... especially if they load it with something cool.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:05 pm

I’m a “never-was” strongman. Competed a little regionally around WI, but never had any illusions of going further. Now with two kids who seem to want to have lives and athletic endeavors of their own (greedy little goblins) I don’t really compete save for local unsanctioned meets. Still keep some of the movements in my training though, because they’re too cool not to, and because I’m going to put that stupid ********** 250 log over my head.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue May 29, 2018 3:55 pm

lehman906 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:05 pm I’m a “never-was” strongman. Competed a little regionally around WI, but never had any illusions of going further. Now with two kids who seem to want to have lives and athletic endeavors of their own (greedy little goblins) I don’t really compete save for local unsanctioned meets. Still keep some of the movements in my training though, because they’re too cool not to, and because I’m going to put that stupid ********** 250 log over my head.
Hey, based on your user name and apparent proximity to Wisconsin... are you in the UP?

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:32 pm

I’m in Milwaukee, but I was raised a Yooper.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:16 am

I'm always curious as to how strongmen program their training. The traditional way was to do the standard Bench-Squat-Deadlift days throughout the week and then blow out your O-ring on events on Saturday. I see a lot more people blending the events into their days and now, concurrent with what people are prescribing here and at BBM and RTS, there seems to be a trend of people not taking each event to mortal danger. What's worked for you? I think I've figured out a way to make the Montana Method work with my event training, and I'm going to try that today.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 am

lehman906 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:32 pm I’m in Milwaukee, but I was raised a Yooper.
Where did you grow up? I'm from Bruce Crossing. Live in Grand Rapids now.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 am

TimK wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 am
lehman906 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:32 pm I’m in Milwaukee, but I was raised a Yooper.
Man, I thought I was from the middle of nowhere. I grew up in Sault Ste Marie, and went to undergrad at NMU. Grad school brought me down to Milwaukee and a wife kept me there. I have a friend (also from da Soo) down in GR.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:35 am

lehman906 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 am
Man, I thought I was from the middle of nowhere. I grew up in Sault Ste Marie, and went to undergrad at NMU. Grad school brought me down to Milwaukee and a wife kept me there. I have a friend (also from da Soo) down in GR.
LOL, you're from a big city! And I went to MTU, so I guess I am supposed to hate you now.

Also, I clicked on your profile and noticed you're a teacher. I taught social studies and math for five years before quitting to make my fortune as a photographer (sarcasm). Spent one of those years over on your end of the peninsula, in Newberry.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:29 am

TimK wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:35 am
LOL, you're from a big city! And I went to MTU, so I guess I am supposed to hate you now.

Also, I clicked on your profile and noticed you're a teacher. I taught social studies and math for five years before quitting to make my fortune as a photographer (sarcasm). Spent one of those years over on your end of the peninsula, in Newberry.
Newberry is NO MANS LAND. Yeesh.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 am

Ha, I used to visit a friend in the Soo once or twice a year.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 am
Ha, I used to visit a friend in the Soo once or twice a year.
Small world. I have family and friends up there, so drop me a line if you ever head up that way and I’ll see if our visits line up.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:02 am

lehman906 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:24 pm Small world. I have family and friends up there, so drop me a line if you ever head up that way and I’ll see if our visits line up.
That friend now lives in... I want to say West Virginia but I can't actually remember. It was about 10 years ago. Wow, that was 10 years ago...

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 am

Condensed fun story from Saturday:

I was loaning some equipment to a guy in Buffalo putting on his first actual comp and I volunteered to hang around and help out. Figured I'd be around loading plates, moving equipment, spotting or something. Nope... wound up judging the men's LW novice class and having way more responsibility than I bargained for. Being on that side of a competition (crew) was eye opening. It's basically total chaos as you and the rest of the crew try and hold it all together (ok maybe not THAT bad but still crazy). We managed to pull off the impossible however and got 65 lifters through 5 events in under 5 hours, even having to reinvent the stone series on the fly and get lifters through it ONE AT A TIME... which normally would take forever, but it actually flew by.

A few super nerd moments for me as Jerry Pritchett was there to do an exhibition deadlift (in the middle of the meet no less, another thing that "should have" slowed it all down). Got to meet him and feel very tiny, got to nerd out as he stretched out/warmed up on my deadlift tires, and then I get to say Jerry Pritchett pulled 1010 lbs twice using the 45's from my garage... so that's pretty cool...

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 am

mouse wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 am Condensed fun story from Saturday:

I was loaning some equipment to a guy in Buffalo putting on his first actual comp and I volunteered to hang around and help out. Figured I'd be around loading plates, moving equipment, spotting or something. Nope... wound up judging the men's LW novice class and having way more responsibility than I bargained for. Being on that side of a competition (crew) was eye opening. It's basically total chaos as you and the rest of the crew try and hold it all together (ok maybe not THAT bad but still crazy). We managed to pull off the impossible however and got 65 lifters through 5 events in under 5 hours, even having to reinvent the stone series on the fly and get lifters through it ONE AT A TIME... which normally would take forever, but it actually flew by.

A few super nerd moments for me as Jerry Pritchett was there to do an exhibition deadlift (in the middle of the meet no less, another thing that "should have" slowed it all down). Got to meet him and feel very tiny, got to nerd out as he stretched out/warmed up on my deadlift tires, and then I get to say Jerry Pritchett pulled 1010 lbs twice using the 45's from my garage... so that's pretty cool...

That’s awesome! Sounds like you all did a great job.

Sam McMahon was the one running the bigger shows here, and he put a premium on keeping them moving fast so that people didn’t get bored, so I’ve seen how much work those crews do. He brought in Brian Shaw as a guest one year, although he didn’t do any exhibitions. Apparently he lifted the day before at the local strongman gym and complained about being tight from travel before pulling a casual 905. These guys are just a different species.