The Strongman Thread

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mouse

Re: The Strongman Thread

Post by mouse » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:02 am

zappey1 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:23 am
mouse wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:22 pm Shaw Classic day one is pretty worth the $9 sign up...

He doesn't have the bandwidth to do a live stream but having it in an edited down hour long video package is actually pretty sweet...
I know Shaw donate the prize money to the other competitors and I appreciate that he organized this himself. However did you find it cheesy that he organized all the events, picked the weights and then won 1st place?

I think he should have maybe just refereed or done commentating. Comes off to me as a ego boost for him IMO.
If we're being totally honest? Yes... couldn't help but feel a little like that hahaha. It makes me kinda sorta wonder just how much how his training was going factored in to the event choices because they maaaayyyyy have been just a tad in his favor.

I totally get it though, wanting to compete even if you're the host/promoter. I've seen friends of mine do it and I'm sure down the road I will inevitably dip my toe in the promoter business and be tempted myself. So I'm sympathetic.

Also, he may have won... but I don't think he was the standout of the contest... that title has to go to JF hahaha what a frickin race between him and Jerry on the deadlift...

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:35 am

@mouse thanks for the tip, this wasn’t really on my radar but I signed up and watched it after seeing your post and it was enjoyable. Caron v. Pritchett was definitely the highlight for me.

But yeah, I was thinking the same thing as @zappey1 about the overall outcome...

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:04 pm

mouse wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:02 am
zappey1 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:23 am
mouse wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:22 pm Shaw Classic day one is pretty worth the $9 sign up...

He doesn't have the bandwidth to do a live stream but having it in an edited down hour long video package is actually pretty sweet...
I know Shaw donate the prize money to the other competitors and I appreciate that he organized this himself. However did you find it cheesy that he organized all the events, picked the weights and then won 1st place?

I think he should have maybe just refereed or done commentating. Comes off to me as a ego boost for him IMO.
If we're being totally honest? Yes... couldn't help but feel a little like that hahaha. It makes me kinda sorta wonder just how much how his training was going factored in to the event choices because they maaaayyyyy have been just a tad in his favor.

I totally get it though, wanting to compete even if you're the host/promoter. I've seen friends of mine do it and I'm sure down the road I will inevitably dip my toe in the promoter business and be tempted myself. So I'm sympathetic.

Also, he may have won... but I don't think he was the standout of the contest... that title has to go to JF hahaha what a frickin race between him and Jerry on the deadlift...
Most weight ever lifted by a human right? I hope they at least post that part for free on YT. I would prefer the highlight posted to his YT at least.

I would gladly pay $9 for WSM or Arnold's but I think I'm to cheap to shell out that $$ for this show. Plus you have to subscribe to his website or something?

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:10 pm

zappey1 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:04 pm Most weight ever lifted by a human right? I hope they at least post that part for free on YT. I would prefer the highlight posted to his YT at least.

I would gladly pay $9 for WSM or Arnold's but I think I'm to cheap to shell out that $$ for this show. Plus you have to subscribe to his website or something?
Well considering you'll probably never see a livestream of WSM since it's a TV show and Rogue already streams the Arnold events for free... you might as well pony up $9 and support the efforts to bring another decently heavy pro show to the scene. I would expect him to try to grow the contest and get some more support behind it in the next few years... which is why buying this one is important.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Gabe Pena joining that 1000 lb club

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Wish granted @zappey1

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:54 pm

mouse wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:25 pm Wish granted @zappey1

YAAA!!! I'll have to give it a watch later! That Pena lift was crazy! Why did he have to drop out of WSM? I kinda was following but never really heard other then were worried about his heart or something?

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:41 pm

zappey1 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:54 pm

YAAA!!! I'll have to give it a watch later! That Pena lift was crazy! Why did he have to drop out of WSM? I kinda was following but never really heard other then were worried about his heart or something?
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHjU4atABN ... kbwnnvuuv4

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:21 am

mouse wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:41 pm
zappey1 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:54 pm

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHjU4atABN ... kbwnnvuuv4
I saw that but what was the heart issue and has it gotten better? Just strange to me I have never heard of someone getting pulled for heart issues.

That hummer tire DL was crazy!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Watching world's strongest man on CBS right now in at a bar....so much more entertaining than a CrossFit comp.

That is all.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:18 am

Hahahaha yes...

I love that they are doing a 'mystery' event, especially after WSM had a frickin truck parts loading medley. Events at the elite level have become so predictable and I dig that they 'technically' don't know what they're training for...

#MakeStrongmanInterestingAgain

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:18 pm

mouse wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:18 am Hahahaha yes...

I love that they are doing a 'mystery' event, especially after WSM had a frickin truck parts loading medley. Events at the elite level have become so predictable and I dig that they 'technically' don't know what they're training for...

I would love to see more 80's 90's style events. Sumo wrestling, tug of war, that log event where they try to push each other out of the circle, even that stupid ball pushing thing was interesting.

I will say the truck parts medley, monster truck pull, Conan's wheel were some bad ass current events!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:17 pm

zappey1 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:18 pm

I would love to see more 80's 90's style events. Sumo wrestling, tug of war, that log event where they try to push each other out of the circle, even that stupid ball pushing thing was interesting.

I will say the truck parts medley, monster truck pull, Conan's wheel were some bad ass current events!
Tug of War was/is stupid. It's just a fact. I competed once in a contest that had it, no one cared, and most us didn't even try. I walked out to make the required appearance and stood there while the guy pulled the rope that I wasn't gripping and we walked away. I was far from the only guy to do it. I would literally never sign up for another contest with that event, ever. That is one reason why you don't see it, it is universally hated.
As for the others, don't expect anything like Sumo or the log push thingy. The chance of injury is entirely too great, which is why they went away. Direct combat stuff is boring to watch in person when everyone doing it is a rank amateur, and too nuanced to be prectical as an event, and too many people get injured.
For the record, I think the Conan's Wheel at the Arnold is stupid too. It is incredibly boring and impossible for a regular non-competitor to really grasp. If it did something, like light a giant Leyden sphere, or lift a viking ship, then it could be cool.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:45 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:17 pm

Tug of War was/is stupid. It's just a fact. I competed once in a contest that had it, no one cared, and most us didn't even try. I walked out to make the required appearance and stood there while the guy pulled the rope that I wasn't gripping and we walked away. I was far from the only guy to do it. I would literally never sign up for another contest with that event, ever. That is one reason why you don't see it, it is universally hated.
As for the others, don't expect anything like Sumo or the log push thingy. The chance of injury is entirely too great, which is why they went away. Direct combat stuff is boring to watch in person when everyone doing it is a rank amateur, and too nuanced to be prectical as an event, and too many people get injured.
For the record, I think the Conan's Wheel at the Arnold is stupid too. It is incredibly boring and impossible for a regular non-competitor to really grasp. If it did something, like light a giant Leyden sphere, or lift a viking ship, then it could be cool.
I guess different strokes for different folks. With out spectacle events Strongman starts to feel like PL IMO. I get the high outcome of injury from sumo and tug of war. But those are the WSMs I love and remember. What is more Iconic then Kazmaier getting crazy eyed before stepping into the ring?

I also love tug of war and would probably sign up for an event if I saw it listed. Last time I got a good tug of war was at boy scout camp.

I guess for me when I see events with to many max weight events I think it may as well be PL with less rules on form.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 pm

zappey1 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:45 pm

I guess different strokes for different folks. With out spectacle events Strongman starts to feel like PL IMO. I get the high outcome of injury from sumo and tug of war. But those are the WSMs I love and remember. What is more Iconic then Kazmaier getting crazy eyed before stepping into the ring?

I also love tug of war and would probably sign up for an event if I saw it listed. Last time I got a good tug of war was at boy scout camp.

I guess for me when I see events with to many max weight events I think it may as well be PL with less rules on form.
I agree with you, Zappey, and I can’t imagine a strongman constest in which competitors signed up and then refused to compete. Ridiculous.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:01 pm

lehman906 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 pm

I agree with you, Zappey, and I can’t imagine a strongman constest in which competitors signed up and then refused to compete. Ridiculous.
I would love to try to pull someone into a mud pit at a contest. No matter who got pulled in we could have a pint and laugh about it after the coemption. :lol:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 pm

In person, Tug of war sucks to compete in, it chews up your hands and there's a lot of jerking and technique if you're serious, and it is incredibly boring live. You only get a very edited down tidbit of the event on the TV shows. I cannot stress enough, it is incredibly boring live. The audience mostly went and found something else to do during the event, and none of the competitors paid any attention to it either.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:25 pm

lehman906 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 pm
It's a calculation. Kill yourself for one event that doesn't make much difference in the over-all and be chewed up for all the other events that actually matter, or express your loathing for the event and be in better shape for the rest of the contest. Tug of War was the last event at the WSM's where it was contested, it got the whole day to itself (The comp used to take 2 weeks with a single event each day) and they weren't doing anything actually cool like Stones. If you want to bring back a cool event that has mass visual appeal, bring back the Car Carry. In this case, it was I think the second event of the day. So, rope burn on the forearms and a shot grip are nobueno when you have Farmer's and a Medley involving a Husafeldt carry. You let the one guy that cares win the Tug of War, and the points are upside down for one event, and then it becomes an inconsequential event in the overall and you do better at the events that actually matter in the placings.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:14 am

I don't think you'll see tug of war/sumo/pole push events at the ELITE level for the reasons hardartery mentioned, specifically that I think he's dead on that they are BORING to watch...

Just because they might be fun to compete in doesn't mean they're fun for the average non-lifting spectator to watch.

Conan's Wheel at the Arnold is because Rogue wanted to make a gigantic spectacle implement, and in that it succeeds...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:00 pm

@mouse I checked out that link you posted in the other thread for Static Monsters. That looks like a lot of fun. A lot. I may have to give that a go in the next year or two if I can arrange it. My overhead has always sucked (My Achilles heel in competing), and I don't have a log (I do technically own one, but my former training partner is currently babysitting it along with some other equipment) but this really looks like fun. And the idea of a Max Stone at US event as well seems pretty cool.