Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Hardartery

Re: The Strongman Thread

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:37 am

zappey1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:25 am
Hardartery wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:28 am
zappey1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 am Anyone watch:

I loved this show it had a great old school vibe! Apparently lots of people hated it after reading the comments.

OLEKSII NOVIKOV looked freaking amazing in almost every event.
Still watching it a bit at a time. The first event was fantastic, the second event (The surprise one) is meh. The comment section is full of morons. It's seems to be going okay for a live deal, nobody in particular is getting screwed worse than anyone else so far.
That first dude on the DLs loaded his own weights but no one else did. That was weird. I thought it was good for a live event.
Yeah, he got a little screwed on that. In the end, it doesn't really matter overall though. The thing about Strongman is, you ARE going to get screwed on an event, and so will everyone else. The question is WHICH event and how badly? Sometimes you can't know from the audience perspective how some of the guys are getting screwed, but they are at some point, so it kind of levels things out. Plus, I don't think it made a difference in how many of those lifts that he was going to get. It maybe hurt his time, but maybe not because the extra few seconds between lifts might have actually helped him.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:21 pm

Hardartery wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:37 am I don't think it made a difference in how many of those lifts that he was going to get. It maybe hurt his time, but maybe not because the extra few seconds between lifts might have actually helped him.
So the promoter ate their mistake and adjusted his time. Basically they cut out whatever time he wasn't strapped in to the bar.

The original plan was to have the lifters load their own, the 'loaders' were told to remove the collars only... language barrier and hilarity ensued... after two guys they just had loaders...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:41 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:21 pm
Hardartery wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:37 am I don't think it made a difference in how many of those lifts that he was going to get. It maybe hurt his time, but maybe not because the extra few seconds between lifts might have actually helped him.
So the promoter ate their mistake and adjusted his time. Basically they cut out whatever time he wasn't strapped in to the bar.

The original plan was to have the lifters load their own, the 'loaders' were told to remove the collars only... language barrier and hilarity ensued... after two guys they just had loaders...
Yeah, it happens. Like getting a down signal and then having the rep not count. I was pissed off, and the ref was wrong (It was addressed in subsequent rules meetings at other events), you move on. Somebody else is going to get a bad spotter causing problems, or misload between weight classes, or a million other things. At the end of the day, it usually isn't enough to actually affect your placing it's just energy wasted on being pissed off. That was generous to credit some time to him, that's decent treatment of the athlete really.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Thu May 20, 2021 6:41 am

If anyone is looking for new content, the British Strongman Podcast is full of absolute gold. Fair warning, though, their East Ender accents are so amusing that sometimes I had to rewind and pay attention.

"Will ya be doin' the Belt Clean challenge, then?"
"Fook no, I'd rather shit in me hands and clap."

Lots of great unconventional training info, and open talk about PEDs since they aren't illegal there. Highly recommend.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu May 20, 2021 7:38 am

lehman906 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:41 am If anyone is looking for new content, the British Strongman Podcast is full of absolute gold. Fair warning, though, their East Ender accents are so amusing that sometimes I had to rewind and pay attention.

Lots of great unconventional training info, and open talk about PEDs since they aren't illegal there. Highly recommend.
Good info, I've been listening to some of Loz's episodes for the stories and stuff...

I used to watch a bunch of stuff from youtube on break but it's gone by the wayside because it's become less and less about training, and more about food or hocking whatever gear/supps company [insert athlete here] has started that week... or ya know... boxing...

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:13 am

mouse wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:38 am
lehman906 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:41 am If anyone is looking for new content, the British Strongman Podcast is full of absolute gold. Fair warning, though, their East Ender accents are so amusing that sometimes I had to rewind and pay attention.

Good info, I've been listening to some of Loz's episodes for the stories and stuff...

I used to watch a bunch of stuff from youtube on break but it's gone by the wayside because it's become less and less about training, and more about food or hocking whatever gear/supps company [insert athlete here] has started that week... or ya know... boxing...
That’s why I stopped watching Shaw and Martins. I get that they’re trying to make a living and I wish them well, but it’s boring.

None of that in the BSP. Just training stuff. Definitely worth a listen.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu May 20, 2021 2:41 pm

Novikov's subtitled YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjAfdx ... P7WEqYe8g is pretty good. He show fails, talks about training, what's screwed up and how he's going to fix it. He shows his diet too. He seems pretty open, but no talk about PED's so far. Separate note, Metal is having a sale. I emailed about sizing and ended up with a custom Jack suit being made for me at not much above the off the rack suit sale price. The down side is they are all black now, no orange. My dimensions are a range between 52 and 60 on their size chart. Big thighs and small pelvis by their sizing, and I'm somehow tall (What do the actually tall guys do? I'm only 6'-0).
Last edited by Hardartery on Thu May 20, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu May 20, 2021 2:42 pm

Where is it? YouTube? Spotify? Somewhere else?

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:14 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:42 pm

Anywhere you get podcasts. I get mine through my apple podcast app.

Novikov’s channel is probably my favorite for strongmen right now, and part of that is because his gym is so old and crappy. I love the Rocky feel of it.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 pm

lehman906 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:14 pm

Novikov’s channel is probably my favorite for strongmen right now, and part of that is because his gym is so old and crappy. I love the Rocky feel of it.
I love that part. Other guys have these fancy expensive setups. He's doing triceps pushdowns on an ol York Canada lat pulldown that looks like it was a charity thing to a poor country. I really liked the two little girls cheering him on and harassing him. He must be a reasonably decent guy for two kids to be that comfortable around him. Not sure whose kids they are though.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:38 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 pm
lehman906 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:14 pm

I love that part. Other guys have these fancy expensive setups. He's doing triceps pushdowns on an ol York Canada lat pulldown that looks like it was a charity thing to a poor country. I really liked the two little girls cheering him on and harassing him. He must be a reasonably decent guy for two kids to be that comfortable around him. Not sure whose kids they are though.
Coach or training partner’s? Film guy? Yeah watching the videos with his friends and girlfriend he seems like a very chill dude.

I’m a fan of all the mismatched plates.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:49 am

I'm about to head out to Rituals of Strength in Rochester in a few... don't know if they need me as far as volunteers go but if they don't I might do some livestreaming if you're bored...

Check my IG around 9-9:30 and I should have posted an update or something...

www.instagram.com/djksmvc

EDIT: don't know why that url isn't working but just look up my handle on there

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:56 pm

Doing the Monsters in Monona contest Saturday.

https://fb.me/e/Aw822eq9

It’s my first contest in two years, and I’m almost 47 and things will just hurt randomly. On the other hand, I feel better conditioned and better prepared than I have for any other contest, so this should be a good time.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:51 pm

lehman906 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:56 pm Doing the Monsters in Monona contest Saturday.

It’s my first contest in two years, and I’m almost 47 and things will just hurt randomly. On the other hand, I feel better conditioned and better prepared than I have for any other contest, so this should be a good time.
Go get 'em!

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:29 am

lehman906 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:56 pm Doing the Monsters in Monona contest Saturday.

Take no shit and post plenty of video...

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:44 pm

It was a lot rougher than I expected. First contest in two years and realized it was the first real one I’ve done in almost six. Write up in my training log amd videos there and on IG.
https://www.exodus-strength.com/forum/ ... &start=180

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:25 pm

So Iron Biby gets the Axle record. Iffy. I watched the video a few times. He never demonstrated control, so it depends on the rules of that fed and I don't know those rules He did lock it out, but was at no point particularly close to demonstrating control.

Daverin2112

Post by Daverin2112 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:23 pm

Ehh, I see nothing overly off that suggested he wouldn't have had full control in a couple of seconds, it actually looks like he was beginning to stabilize right as he got the command. I mean, don't get me wrong, Big Z ref'ing would've been nice, but I can see why they took it. Plus, I imagine Strongman promoters are very much quite ready to get some overhead records beaten. Now if we can just get that Log record taken down...

I'm biased, though. I like Biby. He is the definition of brute force. What he needs is someone to really take him to task on the parts of the overhead lifts he sucks at. So far, all signs point to a man who can briskly press anything he can manage up to his shoulders. As it stands, I don't see him taking the Log Lift before the other top candidates, simply because he just clearly needs to work better on getting it off of the floor.

EDIT: Another Angle, ALOT more favorable to Biby. Absolutely looks solid for the split second before he drops.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:56 pm

Daverin2112 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:23 pm Ehh, I see nothing overly off that suggested he wouldn't have had full control in a couple of seconds, it actually looks like he was beginning to stabilize right as he got the command. I mean, don't get me wrong, Big Z ref'ing would've been nice, but I can see why they took it. Plus, I imagine Strongman promoters are very much quite ready to get some overhead records beaten. Now if we can just get that Log record taken down...

I'm biased, though. I like Biby. He is the definition of brute force. What he needs is someone to really take him to task on the parts of the overhead lifts he sucks at. So far, all signs point to a man who can briskly press anything he can manage up to his shoulders. As it stands, I don't see him taking the Log Lift before the other top candidates, simply because he just clearly needs to work better on getting it off of the floor.

EDIT: Another Angle, ALOT more favorable to Biby. Absolutely looks solid for the split second before he drops.
The nice thing about Strongman is that IF you get the down signal, you GET the lift. Period. It wasn't always that way, I lost a rep on the log to some dickhead O-Lifter ref in one of the Boston contests over that, gave me the down and then negated it. I think a few other guys had the same problem and we were loud with our displeasure. Every athlete meeting after that it was made clear that if you get a signal you get the lift, O-lifting can stick it. He got the signal, that's all that matters now. I have no feeling for or against him either way, it's a lot of weight to move.

Daverin2112

Post by Daverin2112 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:17 pm

That's kind of the thing, sounds like someone who doesn't understand the culture and spirit of Strongman. You aren't there to demonstrate the art and grace of lifting... you just are there to put the most weight overhead.

Which is why I am vaguely surprised we've never seen a Kipping Press used for a log before.