Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Post by Allentown » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:13 pm

220Eric wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:48 pm
I took a pic, but I can't share it on Instagram until my wife notices I bought the thing and I don't want to tip my hand.
[/quote]

You mean that old bike thing? You’ve had that forever, I can’t believe you’re just now using it. 🤫
[/quote]

Update: Echo bike is really really nice. I hate it so much.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:22 pm

I don't feel like making a separate thread for this, but anyone here using dumbbell spotters of some kind?

I'm eyeing up the Mad Spotter Pros, which look like an updated version of Power Hooks. They supposedly work with Ironmasters with the heavy handle add-ons. Spot Grips look neat, but not neat enough for me to spend $500 to make OHPing dumbbells more convenient. I've kicked around some kind of strap system like Mr. Three Storm here, too:

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 am

On the topic of the Echo:
I've hit exactly 1358 watts like 5 times now, leading me to question the accuracy of the wattage measurement. Or at least wonder how it is calculated.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:22 am

Allentown wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 am On the topic of the Echo:
I've hit exactly 1358 watts like 5 times now, leading me to question the accuracy of the wattage measurement. Or at least wonder how it is calculated.
Unless someone knows better I'm pretty sure it's 100% based on cadence and goes up non-linearly - 54 RPM = 228 watts, 55=236, 56=243 and so on (can't remember exact wattages).

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:12 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:22 pm I don't feel like making a separate thread for this, but anyone here using dumbbell spotters of some kind?

I'm eyeing up the Mad Spotter Pros, which look like an updated version of Power Hooks. They supposedly work with Ironmasters with the heavy handle add-ons. Spot Grips look neat, but not neat enough for me to spend $500 to make OHPing dumbbells more convenient. I've kicked around some kind of strap system like Mr. Three Storm here, too:

I purchased the original powerhooks for $20 a couple years ago but I don't think they make them anymore (and I never use them). They work as intended but It's pretty annoying that I'm replacing a nice knurled handle (DB-15) with fabric. The metal on metal contact also scuffed up my black zinc handles which I'm not psyched about and feel like an idiot for not predicting. The Madspotter hooks are basically the same thing and I guess the spiritual successor but 2-3x the cost. They solve the second issue with rubber, but you're still sacrificing the feel of the grip for the convenience of the spotter, which I personally am not willing to do anymore.

The DIY strap system is probably a better solution, honestly.

James

Post by James » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:53 am

Titan sells DB holder rack attachments that is pretty well built. I'd use mine more for bench/incline but my off brand rack is 48" wide instead of 42" so the hand gaps are just a hair too far apart for a good lift off with anything heavy. Pretty much just use them as holder so I don't have to do spin lock plate changes on the ground.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:10 pm

FredM wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:12 am
I purchased the original powerhooks for $20 a couple years ago but I don't think they make them anymore (and I never use them). They work as intended but It's pretty annoying that I'm replacing a nice knurled handle (DB-15) with fabric. The metal on metal contact also scuffed up my black zinc handles which I'm not psyched about and feel like an idiot for not predicting. The Madspotter hooks are basically the same thing and I guess the spiritual successor but 2-3x the cost. They solve the second issue with rubber, but you're still sacrificing the feel of the grip for the convenience of the spotter, which I personally am not willing to do anymore.

The DIY strap system is probably a better solution, honestly.
I know they aren't a perfect solution, but I picked up the Mad Spotter Pros. I'm using them 100% for DB OHP for now, because getting in and out of the rack position sucks when things get heavier. The Pros have a knurled bottom, and I didn't really notice them during use today. Not sure if that will change as I add weight, but so far I like them.

"Spotter" isn't really an accurate name for these. I look at them like a monolift for DBs.

Skid

Post by Skid » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:38 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:22 pm I don't feel like making a separate thread for this, but anyone here using dumbbell spotters of some kind?
I made these for my rack-

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:24 pm

Skid wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:38 pm
Those are sweet.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:45 am

Skid wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:38 pm
I like those. The problem I see with the ones I've seen for sale is that the dumbbells are at a set width, so it either works for you or it doesn't.I could see seems like someone should make something like yours out of tubing with a bunch of holes in it so the dumbbell saddles can be adjusted for whatever width is needed.

Last night I tried setting up the Mad Spotters for incline like you set up in your video, and it worked pretty well to pick them up and still get my shoulder blades set.

Skid

Post by Skid » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:12 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:45 am

I like those. The problem I see with the ones I've seen for sale is that the dumbbells are at a set width, so it either works for you or it doesn't.I could see seems like someone should make something like yours out of tubing with a bunch of holes in it so the dumbbell saddles can be adjusted for whatever width is needed.

Last night I tried setting up the Mad Spotters for incline like you set up in your video, and it worked pretty well to pick them up and still get my shoulder blades set.
If I understand you correctly, I made the middle gaps roughly the width of my handles. That way it doesn't matter how wide the dumbbells get. Most dumbbells have a similar grip size I would think.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:50 am

Skid wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:12 am
murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:45 am

If I understand you correctly, I made the middle gaps roughly the width of my handles. That way it doesn't matter how wide the dumbbells get. Most dumbbells have a similar grip size I would think.
My post wasn't very clear - I meant how far apart the dumbbells sit from each other. Like on this Titan setup, you're stuck with a fixed distance between the dumbbells, so if that distance is too wide for your body you either need to do some sort of wonky pickup, risk pissing off your shoulders, or use less weight, all of which defeat the point of using those types of dumbbell holders.

I'd like to see Rogue or someone sell something very similar to your design, but where the dumbbell holders can be moved laterally so they can be set up optimally width-wise for both a SHW lifter and a petite woman. Basically a Versa Spot setup but with adjustment that's something like Sorinex's indexing chin bar:

Probably too niche, but I think it would be cool.

Edit: Here's a freestanding version:

https://rwjextremefitness.com/products/ ... -dumbbells

Skid

Post by Skid » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:36 am

Ahh, I see what you mean now. Realistically, grip width doesn't change too much between small and large sized people. Looking at the Titan set up it does seem to be wider than necessary. To accommodate most, perhaps a narrow starting point would be best.

$1200 bucks for linked set up seems pretty obscene!

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:01 pm

Regarding dumbbells and suspending them, I am waiting on Spot Grips.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:30 pm

Set up a pulley system, still need a few parts. Also working to clean/clear/rearrange things. Will post picks when done.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:26 pm

Used the Spot Grips last night. Pretty cool.

Didn't go with hammock straps because those are far more limited for adjustability.

I'll use the Spot Grips for flat, incline, and decline bench, and maybe for seated pressing.

Depending on hand size and dumbbell handle diameter, it could be an issue for grip, but that should be outliers...and you could probably add something to make it work.

I'm using Weight It Out loadable Olympic dumbbells. They are 16" long with about 5" of sleeve length. They are 11.3lbs.

I can easily load 100lbs or more, with 25s and lighter plates.

I ordered Weight It Out plates in 10,5, and 2.5. 10s are 0.5" wide, and the others are 0.38" (3/8").

The 25s I use are Rep Fitness and standard barbell.

The Weight It Out 25 plates have a larger diameter to account for how narrow the width it.

Oh, nice holes. Tight holes, but not painful. Slips in nice and secure.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:51 am

Changes I am particularly excited about:
Bar is over the heater, so in the winter it will warm up a bit before I get out there.
More room on either side of the cage will make things easier to move around.
Pretty much everything is hung up, so better use of wall space and I can see everything instead of digging through boxes/crates/bags.
Pulley system

Some pics:

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:28 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:51 am

Bar is over the heater, so in the winter it will warm up a bit before I get out there.
Pretty much everything is hung up, so better use of wall space and I can see everything instead of digging through boxes/crates/bags.
Pulley system

Some pics:
That Satanic Temple banner is pretty fucking fly.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:38 am

Renascent wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:28 am
Allentown wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:51 am

Pulley system

Some pics:
That Satanic Temple banner is pretty fucking fly.
Good eye- I missed that. I’ve been looking for some home gym deco stuff and there ‘murican flag looks fun. Need a flag for a home gym…

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:37 am

Renascent wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:28 amThat Satanic Temple banner is pretty fucking fly.
It is. Flags could probably use a re-organization, they've basically gone up wherever they fit as I got them with a few changes over the years, once I level the platform I might paint and put the flags up in some sort of order.
augeleven wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:38 am Good eye- I missed that. I’ve been looking for some home gym deco stuff and there ‘murican flag looks fun. Need a flag for a home gym…
The satanic nation flag is awesome. I really wanted it. But the reproductive rights/bodily autonomy one fits a gym so good- "One's body is inviolable, subject to one's will alone." And goes well with my "You cannot kill me in a way that matters" frog.