Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

iamsmu

Re: Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Post by iamsmu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 am

strega wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:25 am
damufunman wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:14 am
Nice! I like that you have a crapper next to the rack. I need to go up two (!) flights of stairs for that.
Really funny story about that. There was a huge enclosure that the previous owner built around that. Four or five feet from the wall and over 6 foot long. It ate up a ton of needless space. So, I would wait to my wife went shopping and would put all a reciprocating saw. A few trips shopping and it was gone. She was pissed, now mind you we/she have never used that toilet in 10 years and she never goes into the basement. I’ll get around to pulling it out someday but I’m afraid she’ll toss daggers at me if I do.
I was wondering if that was a working toilet. Is there a sink too?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:12 am

iamsmu wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 am I was wondering if that was a working toilet. Is there a sink too?
You mean "2 toilets?"

strega

Post by strega » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:02 pm

iamsmu wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 am I was wondering if that was a working toilet. Is there a sink too?
It works but never used. There is a double utility sink near the washer but it's too high to use as a second toilet.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:03 pm

broseph wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:06 am Instead of wasting precious leg strength on stairs, I pee into the utility sink in my basement, then turn the faucet on long enough for the lift pump to cycle. I mean, after that much coffee, protein shake, and preworkout, it's basically just warm water coming out, right?
Well, shit. We don't even have a sink. Just the sump pit, and I don't really want to go near that. Should probably check to make sure the sump pump is functional... though just in case it isn't I don't think I want to test it by peeing in there.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:49 am

Fortunately we never used the living room for much of anything. Literally nowhere else in the house i could do this.
Rogue Monster Lite squat rack w/ extra long spotter arms
Plain steel Ohio Power Bar
300lb Fitness Gear weight set + six regulation size 45s and some fractionals
Rep Fitness bench.

I've makeshift calibrated all the plates that were off. Washers and the wonder that is gorilla glue.
Luckily the big 45s were mostly correct. One was 1lb light, and one pair matches, but is 44lbs. I just add the 1 1/4 lb fractionals when that third pair is on the bar.

Gonna try sumo after the Feb. meet. I'll likely need a different solution for that.

Full height pull up bar in the hall to the right.
That's a pellet stove, not a wood stove, so no, i'm not roasting in lifting hell.
Last edited by Wilhelm on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 am

broseph wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:06 am
damufunman wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:14 am
strega wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 am My dungeon
Nice! I like that you have a crapper next to the rack. I need to go up two (!) flights of stairs for that. My wife wants me to take off my shoes, so I usually train when she's not home. :D (actually, I just get home before her, but that helps) Wish I didn't have to go up stairs after squatting, but can't complain too much.
Instead of wasting precious leg strength on stairs, I pee into the utility sink in my basement, then turn the faucet on long enough for the lift pump to cycle. I mean, after that much coffee, protein shake, and preworkout, it's basically just warm water coming out, right?
I pee outside next to my fence. Crapper in the house.
strega wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 am My dungeon

The total value of equipment far exceeds my ability to lift. One of the few advantages of being old, disposal income typically goes up.

Oh man now I want mono lift attachments and chains for Christmas!

strega

Post by strega » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:48 pm

Idlehands wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 am

I have the small Rogue rack it's a tight fit to move the mono lift attachments. I have to close them with one hand as I pulled the mono lift off to move positions. Very little room and the hardware eats up with little free space that exist. Overall they were a good purchase. Helps on the bench, a lot less wear and tear on my shoulders, it's nice to start from the "go" position.

Chains I picked up after I watched a Westside DVD, clear case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach sort of thing. I don't really use them that much. I get more use out of bands but maybe it all a factor of where I'm at in my lifting. For now they are like tinsel on a Christmas tree they make the rack look pretty.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:49 am Fortunately we never used the living room for much of anything. Literally nowhere else in the house i could do this.
Rogue Monster Lite squat rack w/ extra long spotter arms
Plain steel Ohio Power Bar
300lb Fitness Gear weight set + six regulation size 45s and some fractionals
Rep Fitness bench.

I've makeshift calibrated all the plates that were off. Washers and the wonder that is gorilla glue.
Luckily the big 45s were mostly correct. One was 1lb light, and one pair matches, but is 44lbs. I just add the 1 1/4 lb fractionals when that third pair is on the bar.

Gonna try sumo after the Feb. meet. I'll likely need a different solution for that.

Full height pull up bar in the hall to the right.
That's a pellet stove, not a wood stove, so no, i'm not roasting in lifting hell.
The living room! Awesome.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:42 am

strega wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Idlehands wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 am

I have the small Rogue rack it's a tight fit to move the mono lift attachments. I have to close them with one hand as I pulled the mono lift off to move positions. Very little room and the hardware eats up with little free space that exist. Overall they were a good purchase. Helps on the bench, a lot less wear and tear on my shoulders, it's nice to start from the "go" position.

Chains I picked up after I watched a Westside DVD, clear case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach sort of thing. I don't really use them that much. I get more use out of bands but maybe it all a factor of where I'm at in my lifting. For now they are like tinsel on a Christmas tree they make the rack look pretty.
I've got the rml 490 so plenty of space.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:58 pm

Holy hell, an actual equipment forum? What a novel idea.

Despite the rat's nest pictured, I've had a wild hair and been selling off a lot of stuff lately, including a big commercial 1/2 rack. Having space is nice.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:02 am

Sweet! Welcome.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:07 am

Idlehands wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 am I pee outside next to my fence. Crapper in the house.
This is one of the things I miss about living in the suburbs. When I lived in my country place, I could take a leak anywhere.

Also, that house has a basement with an exposed wall & lots of windows, and 9' ceilings. Would have been perfect for a gym, except I didn't lift when I lived there.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:19 am

cwd wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:07 am
Idlehands wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 am I pee outside next to my fence. Crapper in the house.
This is one of the things I miss about living in the suburbs. When I lived in my country place, I could take a leak anywhere.

Also, that house has a basement with an exposed wall & lots of windows, and 9' ceilings. Would have been perfect for a gym, except I didn't lift when I lived there.
I'm in the suburbs.
I just don't give a care. And have 6' fences. I used to pee off the deck before I had a pool. Though I think my neighbor alluded to catching me so I stopped doing that.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:55 am

I like to pee off the deck (10’ drop) at night when I let the dog out before bed.

I’m always afraid he’s going to investigate the noise and get peed on in the dark.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:30 pm

We have power !

Ok, these lights are so goddamn bright they hurt my brain

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Idlehands wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:30 pm We have power !

Ok, these lights are so goddamn bright they hurt my brain
Woo hoo!

Checkpoint Charlie. :D

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Two indoor circuits so now I have to figure out uplighting, cause i need mood lighting? and down lighting? Good grief.

Got 3 shop lights (2,1,1) 2 for up, 1,1 for down. Have to figure out where I want them. Kinda looks funny. I found some sweet industrial lights I kinda want but hanging them would be odd. This should be good enough

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 pm

If you get enough light to make decent form-check vids at night, that's enough light.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Idlehands wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Two indoor circuits so now I have to figure out uplighting, cause i need mood lighting? and down lighting? Good grief.

Got 3 shop lights (2,1,1) 2 for up, 1,1 for down. Have to figure out where I want them. Kinda looks funny. I found some sweet industrial lights I kinda want but hanging them would be odd. This should be good enough
Can you remove one of those rafter ties, or do you have enough room to press and chin.

I had something between rafter and collar ties in my garage. I pulled one. I don't think they were structural. If they were, they weren't doing shit in the middle with just two screws each.

Uplighting? Try cheap LED strips:

It blends nicely. . . . I remove the tie in the back.

You can get LED shop lights in the same configuration as those florescent tubes. I have two in my basement. The color is better and there's no hum.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Idlehands wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm You can get LED shop lights in the same configuration as those florescent tubes. I have two in my basement. The color is better and there's no hum.
I have a pair of the LED shop lights sitting on a shelf in the garage. Sometimes the tubes don't come on right away, but every time I am ready to swap in the LED they turn right on.
Last edited by Allentown on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.