Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

iamsmu

Re: Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Post by iamsmu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:45 pm
iamsmu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm
Idlehands wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm You can get LED shop lights in the same configuration as those florescent tubes. I have two in my basement. The color is better and there's no hum.
I have a pair of the LED shop lights sitting on a shelf in the garage. Sometimes the tubes don't come on right away, but every time I am ready to swap in the LED they turn right on.
I had the same experience. They have an uncanny ability to know when you are about to kill them. . . . . I'm glad that I finally replaced them. I can see everything in the basement storage area now.

I think I might one bulb left in the house that isn't LED. I had a bunch of the ecowhatever brand form HD fail. I'm now only using the Cree LED bulbs for replacements.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:00 pm

That's is an LED shop light!

I have enough room to press; I'm 6'2 Don't anticipate needing more room. I specifically moved the collar ties up so I would have room. When it was a garage they had some jacked together 2x4s
only 2 really, and same height as the walls. I moved them up to 1/3 the way up the roof, per my contractor buddy and went to 2x6 They should be aok.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Idlehands wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:00 pm That's is an LED shop light!

I have enough room to press; I'm 6'2 Don't anticipate needing more room. I specifically moved the collar ties up so I would have room. When it was a garage they had some jacked together 2x4s
only 2 really, and same height as the walls. I moved them up to 1/3 the way up the roof, per my contractor buddy and went to 2x6 They should be aok.
Ah. The ties in my garage an in the middle. This is pretty much no good. If they are in the top third (collar ties), they can help the roof from opening up. If they are in the bottom third (rafter ties), they can help it from pancaking on you. But the middle isn't very good for anything, as far as I understand.

I'm trying to squeeze in enough room to do a muscle up some day. I'm a couple inches shy unless the pull up bar is a little low, low enough for me to stand flat footed under it. Oh well. . . .

Wish I had some insulation like you. Lots of progress over there.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 am

What the shit. When will these horse mats stop reeking. I even left them outdoors in the rain for a week.
Smelled so bad when I dragged them in I could taste rubber. Fuck.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 am

I’m guessing the cold weather is slowing the release of the stink molecules.

Too bad all the hot sunny weather is behind us. IMO hot direct sunlight>cold rain for off gassing the stink.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:06 am

Agreed, left mine outside for a couple weeks in August, stink is nearly non-existent.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 am

Alright, so all you have to do is wait till August! EZPZ

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 am

Yeah, really helpful I know.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am

Idlehands wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 am What the shit. When will these horse mats stop reeking. I even left them outdoors in the rain for a week.
Mine never stopped reeking. Left them out for a month in the summer, scrubbing with soapy water and a push broom on both sides before and after.

Four years later, my garage still stinks of sulphur. I try to consider it the smell of victory.

It's possible some mats smell less than others, or that some of us on the forums have less sensitive noses. I don't smoke btw...

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 pm

cwd wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am
Idlehands wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 am What the shit. When will these horse mats stop reeking. I even left them outdoors in the rain for a week.
Mine never stopped reeking. Left them out for a month in the summer, scrubbing with soapy water and a push broom on both sides before and after.

Four years later, my garage still stinks of sulphur. I try to consider it the smell of victory.

It's possible some mats smell less than others, or that some of us on the forums have less sensitive noses. I don't smoke btw...
My first set stopped smelling
I’m considering maybe soapy bleach ?

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Idlehands wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 pm
cwd wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am

My first set stopped smelling
I’m considering maybe soapy bleach ?
I brought one home last week in my car, rolled up and secured with a tie down strap. The car stank a bit. But I have something like 7 more. I've never been bothered by the smell. I let the first set that are in the basement air out for a day in the driveway. I suspect that some just stink more than others. I doubt that the difference is in sensitivity. But who knows.

My wife thinks that we might have just gotten used to it. Scary since they are in the basement that is partially open to the house. Other people might think that my house smells like a match factory.
Last edited by iamsmu on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:30 pm

http://www.getsmellout.com/how-to-get-s ... of-rubber/

This confirms fresh air and UV is best, but lists vinegar as able to neutralize fresh rubber smell.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Mine doubles as my work gym. It's an ongoing project. 3-4 years in now.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:48 pm

broseph wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:30 pm http://www.getsmellout.com/how-to-get-s ... of-rubber/

This confirms fresh air and UV is best, but lists vinegar as able to neutralize fresh rubber smell.
If I ever set up a home gym in the house, I'll try vinegar before I bring the mats in.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:25 am

broseph wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:30 pm http://www.getsmellout.com/how-to-get-s ... of-rubber/

Gonna put up tanning lights then.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:45 am

Tanning lights in the gym. Makes sense, can get jacked and tan at the same time. Why don't all gyms have these?

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:35 pm Mine doubles as my work gym. It's an ongoing project. 3-4 years in now.
What's the flooring that you are using and does it stay put. It looks like 2x2 rubber tiles. Do they interlock?

I've got stall mats in my basement that walk all over. I've anchored the corners of the front mats in my garage using screws surrounded by spacers. They seem to be staying in place (though the mats are shrinking in the cold weather, opening up 1/4" gaps. . . . ).

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:21 am

cwd wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:45 am Tanning lights in the gym. Makes sense, can get jacked and tan at the same time. Why don't all gyms have these?
BRB, swapping my fluorescents out for UV tubes.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:09 pm

iamsmu wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 am What's the flooring that you are using and does it stay put. It looks like 2x2 rubber tiles. Do they interlock?
It's 1m x 1m tiles, 15mm thick, with a bevel halfway through, so they look 50cm x 50cm. They don't interlock, but if you lay them wall to wall then they'll be flush and push against each-other. This usually requires some trimming, which can be done with a box-cutter.

Odour was only an issue for a day or two, but of course this is a garage and we often have the door open, and even closed it's leaky.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:47 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:09 pm
iamsmu wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 am What's the flooring that you are using and does it stay put. It looks like 2x2 rubber tiles. Do they interlock?
It's 1m x 1m tiles, 15mm thick, with a bevel halfway through, so they look 50cm x 50cm. They don't interlock, but if you lay them wall to wall then they'll be flush and push against each-other. This usually requires some trimming, which can be done with a box-cutter.

Odour was only an issue for a day or two, but of course this is a garage and we often have the door open, and even closed it's leaky.
Ah. Is the bevel and issue? The damn stall mats are not all the same thickness and they aren't perfectly square. I had to shim 1/8" on the edges of some to keep them from having a trip lip.

I tried using a jig saw on the stall mats. It was a breeze. Made a small mess of plastic dust, but it was very easy to cut.