Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

hector

Re: Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Post by hector » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:46 pm

gtl wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:21 am Found a ProMaxima PL-21 leg press on for $400 Facebook Marketplace back in the middle of January. Guy didn't realize it would generate that much interest so quickly, but his gym is moving locations and needed to use it until they moved. I asked him to hold it for me and went to check it out the next weekend (40 minute drive from my house). A friend from work helped me pick it up yesterday.

I also ordered a pair of 100lb and 2 pairs of 45lb Troy wide flange plates to come this week, giving me a total of 915lbs of iron plates, plus 210lbs in bumpers.
Your home gym is baller. So jelly.

The leg press is a great audition! I have little space, but hope to get a vertical leg press one day. Never used one though so no idea of theyre any good or not.

gtl

Post by gtl » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:13 am

hector wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:46 pm Your home gym is baller. So jelly.

The leg press is a great audition! I have little space, but hope to get a vertical leg press one day. Never used one though so no idea of theyre any good or not.
Thanks! It was a lucky find. I hadn't used a leg press since probably college (2006?). It's not used all the time, but is nice to have the option.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:26 pm

hector

Post by hector » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:15 pm

oldguy wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:26 pm

Awesome setup!!!

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:44 am

Random question: I have an airdyne with a working monitor, but the battery holding part had serious corrosion on the battery contacts.

I've managed to get it working with tinfoil, but that slides down over time.

Is there such a thing as electrically conducting paint or something that I could use to repair the corroded battery contacts?

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:51 am

Not sure what the airdyne battery compartment looks like, but I get some of my electronics stuff here:
https://www.mouser.com/Power/Battery-Ho ... ry&FS=True
You could probably find something that does the job and klidge something together.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Skander wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:44 am Random question: I have an airdyne with a working monitor, but the battery holding part had serious corrosion on the battery contacts.

I've managed to get it working with tinfoil, but that slides down over time.

Is there such a thing as electrically conducting paint or something that I could use to repair the corroded battery contacts?
A water + baking soda, or even with a small dose of vinegar, is a great solution to eat away corrosion on little metal parts. That stirred into a thick paste then toothbrushed over might be effective to get the crap off.

You have a solder iron? After getting rid of all corrosion, could help quite a bit as long as you apply thinly enough not to make the contacts lose their snap. 60/40 rosin core, medium heat if you have a little cheap electronics 25w or less iron.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:26 pm

I have some upgrades in progress/ordered for my home gym. I'll do a complete post with photos when I finish. REP fitness FB-5000 flat bench scheduled for delivery tomorrow, just added two more 4x6 horse stall mats to the single I was using. I cut the first one to fit inside the rack so the flooring is level from rack to deadlift area.

Have a flag coming that I think came out pretty cool:
Flag small size.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:38 am

Barry wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:26 pm Have a flag coming that I think came out pretty cool:
Where'd you get the flag made?

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:51 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:38 am Where'd you get the flag made?

https://www.bestofsigns.com

When(if) it shows up, ill update if its worth a darn.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks to everyone who has posted pics in this thread, especially @BenM. I'll be moving shortly to a place with a lot more room, and you guys have given me some good ideas.

BenM

Post by BenM » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:23 pm

Any time, looking forward to see what you do with the new place!

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:43 am

Here’s my newest addition to the condo gym. Weights are the next item on the list. Slowly but surely it’s coming together.

Skander

Post by Skander » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Camera question- I'm getting sick of tripping over crap on the non-gym half of the shed to setup and retrieve my phone for taking video of lifts.

I saw a guy at the gym with a GoPro on a tripod that sent video right to his phone- but I don't need anything as fancy as a GoPro- it doesn't need to be waterproof or whatever.

Searching for wireless cameras just leads to creepy ass places ("spycam!") and it's hard to determine quality- I need decent quality video. Any suggestions? Prefer under $100.

Tried asking this in the garage gym FB group to predictably terrible results.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:55 pm

At the risk of sounding obvious, but what about a repurposed older phone? Maybe somebody you know has a obsolete iPhone 5 that still powers up? Maybe you can one up on craigslist cheap?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Skander wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:33 pm Camera question- I'm getting sick of tripping over crap on the non-gym half of the shed to setup and retrieve my phone for taking video of lifts.

I saw a guy at the gym with a GoPro on a tripod that sent video right to his phone- but I don't need anything as fancy as a GoPro- it doesn't need to be waterproof or whatever.

Searching for wireless cameras just leads to creepy ass places ("spycam!") and it's hard to determine quality- I need decent quality video. Any suggestions? Prefer under $100.

Older GoPro on Ebay maybe? The app works pretty good for what you want. I know it works for the 4, because I have one and I have used the app with it. They are up to at least a model 6 now, so finding a used one might not be too hard.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Yeah I was actually considering a GoPro for my lift videos last year (never did go through with it.. the video camera I use works fine). I see lots of advantages to a GoPro, like the wide angle (could be useful in a confined space) and being able to voice control it to start filming and things, but I think there would probably be tradeoffs as well.

Personally I use an actual video camera - iPhones are great and all, but don't always have a wide enough field of view for video footage if your home gym is pretty small. But that probably doesn't help much especially if you have been getting by with a phone up til now anyway.

Skander

Post by Skander » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:18 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:44 pm
Skander wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:33 pm Camera question- I'm getting sick of tripping over crap on the non-gym half of the shed to setup and retrieve my phone for taking video of lifts.

Older GoPro on Ebay maybe? The app works pretty good for what you want. I know it works for the 4, because I have one and I have used the app with it. They are up to at least a model 6 now, so finding a used one might not be too hard.
Thanks- that was kind of the next step I was planning, but I wanted to check if there was something simpler out there first. I guess the good thing about a used GoPro is the app quality will be higher than something else. Glad to hear the app works well too.

psmith

Post by psmith » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:02 am

I used to film with I think an SJ4000, Chinese gopro knockoff. Worked ok, but the fisheye lens was actually kind of a pain for evaluating form, and I don't think it had any kind of built-in display for playback or preview. I don't know if that's changed in newer models, but it's something to consider.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:43 am

Anyone run a dehumidifier in their uninsulated garage/shed?

I'm moving to a garage gym and am looking to keep the rust off my equipment. I'm in WI and we don't get the extreme hot + humidity that other places may, but enough that my strongman stuff in the garage does rust a bit. I'm thinking of throwing a dehumidifier out there along with a few of those moisture absorption buckets. The garage doors get opened and closed enough that nothing will be a perfect solution, but thinking it will help a little.

I'm also planning to insulate the garage doors, redo the seals, and spray foam any obvious gaps to hopefully keep heat/bugs/dust down.