Weight trackers

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Sumo

Weight trackers

Post by Sumo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm curious how other people here track body weight, if you do track. Personally I use excel because I can play around and display the data how I want and because it's easy to do it when I spend 8hrs a day on a computer. I also like to own my data and not share it out :)

I bulked up from 67kg/147lbs to 78kg/172lbs, maintained that for a couple of months and then started my cut. This here is my current fat loss tracker and progress, started Jan 2 and will finish April 1. With only 2 1/2 weeks to go until I stop my diet, I'm tracking pretty well with my goal and looks like I'll reach it, i'll also end up a lean 68-68.5 which puts me within easy and stress free weight water cut to 66-67.5.

I'm also excited AF because I've seen a very noticable increase in upper body mass at the end of my bulk, and a lot of that mass has stayed. Looks like a very successfull bulk and i've also met my original goal to increase upper body mass , which hopefully transaltes into a bigger bench(ultimate goal) :D

Overall, this has been a near effortless weight cut. I've experience some minor cravings, only ate off-diet 3 times at social gatherings with friends, and although my body weight dropped significantly I hit or matched bench rep PRs all through the cut, PR's set at the height of my bulking phase.

BenM

Re: Weight trackers

Post by BenM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 pm

I use Fitbit, with Aria scales, and Trendweight to keep an eye on the overall trend. But like you I also want control of the data so I input it into my own database and keep a rolling average of the last 7/14/30 days, ie
database.JPG
I'm an overthinker :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Where's the chart Ben? show me the picture!! Numbers are cool, but transforming numbers in to picture is cooler! :D

I, like you, overthink and overengineer sometimes and I think that's mostly due to the fact that I can exhert so much control, and it appeals to me. I track and plan my training in a similar fashion too.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 pm

I have been slack and haven't put my own database stuff into a graph. I could code something up, but Trendweight does it for me anyway, ie: Image

This year was supposed to be a gaining year. I started off all motivated but since injuring myself I've kinda stopped trying :(

Being an overthinker/analyser probably isn't a bad thing. So many people don't actually take the time to figure out what works and what doesn't. I definitely have a pretty good idea of what I need to do nutrition wise, it's just a matter of executing the plan. Training wise it's a bit more of a dark art figuring out what you respond to mostly because there are so many more variables.

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:47 pm

BenM wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 pm I have been slack and haven't put my own database stuff into a graph. I could code something up, but Trendweight does it for me anyway, ie: Image

This year was supposed to be a gaining year. I started off all motivated but since injuring myself I've kinda stopped trying :(

Being an overthinker/analyser probably isn't a bad thing. So many people don't actually take the time to figure out what works and what doesn't. I definitely have a pretty good idea of what I need to do nutrition wise, it's just a matter of executing the plan. Training wise it's a bit more of a dark art figuring out what you respond to mostly because there are so many more variables.
I don't suppose you have any idea how to create the leading connector lines in that chart, but in excel?

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Sumo wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:47 pm I don't suppose you have any idea how to create the leading connector lines in that chart, but in excel?
Nup, sorry, just spent 15 minutes trying to figure it out! My google-fu has failed me.

Easy to add a trendline and data points but the only options for lines I found are drop lines which only go from the data point to the x axis. I suspect it's possible but would need to do something a bit more complicated....

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:34 am

Yep, that's what I figured as well.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 am

I've just been using MyFitnessPal for weight and waist, transferring the data weekly into Excel. I also use an app called "Qardio" that is connected to my scales and blood pressure monitor. It tracks all measurements though whereas in MFP I just log stats from first thing in ge morning.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 am

I do, though I round to the nearest pound. I could make a chart when I get home, but it'd pretty much be a straight line.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 pm

I use a Withings (now Nokia) scale. Pretty cool as it just transfers to my phone app. Gives me a cool graph too, of course. :) It does bodyfat and a bunch of other nonsense, but I mainly just use it for weight tracking.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:29 pm

I weigh first thing every morning after going to the bathroom and then log in MyFitnessPal on my iPhone. The weight also syncs to an app called "Happy Scale" which tracks a moving average using some complicated exponential formula and creates an nice smooth looking graph. I also have a spreadsheet that calculates a simple 7-day rolling average and I use that to compare week to week changes in weight for dialing in calorie intake.

I also track my waist measurement and use that as a simple proxy for BF%.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm

I recently started weighing myself every two weeks and writing it down in my log. But often I forget.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:20 am

Here, much excitement.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Used to use my-net-diary
enjoying avatar lately. though.. i'm mediocre at best over the years at weighing anything.
248 pre xmas
226 last friday