Easiest way to eat/drink eggs?

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Kregna

Easiest way to eat/drink eggs?

Post by Kregna » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm

I want the nutrition & the protein of a lot of eggs, but I'm not a big fan of the taste (plus I get full easily, so 6-7 is probably my limit in one meal.

Ideally I'd blend about 8-12 of these bad boys up and drink em, but I've heard something about the 'bioavailability' of egg protein being higher when cooked. Could I heat the eggs up to where the whites turn white (instead of being clear), and then blend a load?

Hopefully also means no salmonella - which I think is already very rare for lion-stamped eggs in England

Any issues with this?

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Re: Easiest way to eat/drink eggs?

Post by KyleSchuant » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Scrambled is usually quickest and easiest to consume, other than raw. And it's trivial to mix in other stuff to jazz up the flavour.

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Kregna wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm Ideally I'd blend about 8-12 of these bad boys up and drink em, but I've heard something about the 'bioavailability' of egg protein being higher when cooked.
Not really. It has nothing to do with protein. The issue is with biotin (B7). Raw egg whites are high in avidin, which binds with biotin and makes it unavailable. Cooked egg whites are much lower in avidin.

That said, egg yolks are very rich in biotin and contain more than can be bound by the avidin in the whites. So if you're eating whole raw eggs, and the rest of your diet is relatively well-balanced, it shouldn't be an issue. Problems happen when people consume massive amounts of raw egg whites alone without the yolks for a long period of time. And why would you even do that? Anyone doing that--stop that nonsense. Eat the yolks. Yolks are delicious and nutritious.

Eat the yolk, Kregna.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm Scrambled is usually quickest and easiest to consume, other than raw. And it's trivial to mix in other stuff to jazz up the flavour.
Thanks for the reply

I agree scrambled is pretty easy. I'm just not a fan of the taste and finds it fills me up. Not interested in jazzing it up, just want some ez gains
fishwife wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:04 pm
Kregna wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm Ideally I'd blend about 8-12 of these bad boys up and drink em, but I've heard something about the 'bioavailability' of egg protein being higher when cooked.
Not really. It has nothing to do with protein. The issue is with biotin (B7). Raw egg whites are high in avidin, which binds with biotin and makes it unavailable. Cooked egg whites are much lower in avidin.

That said, egg yolks are very rich in biotin and contain more than can be bound by the avidin in the whites. So if you're eating whole raw eggs, and the rest of your diet is relatively well-balanced, it shouldn't be an issue. Problems happen when people consume massive amounts of raw egg whites alone without the yolks for a long period of time. And why would you even do that? Anyone doing that--stop that nonsense. Eat the yolks. Yolks are delicious and nutritious.

Eat the yolk, Kregna.
Solid post, very interesting. Thanks

I would never throw out the yoke (though don't agree it's tasty :P ). So you would see no problem with blending 8 raw eggs with milk or something and drinking that? Or do you know how 'cooked' they need to be to reduce the avidin?

(being lazy and not googling, but if you happened to already know - would be handy!)

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Kregna wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 pm I would never throw out the yoke (though don't agree it's tasty :P ). So you would see no problem with blending 8 raw eggs with milk or something and drinking that? Or do you know how 'cooked' they need to be to reduce the avidin?

(being lazy and not googling, but if you happened to already know - would be handy!)
I think 8 in one go is a lot of eggs for someone who doesn't like them. If you can stomach it, and you understand the small but real risk of salmonella and stuff, I don't see how it's going to cause you a biotin deficiency as long as you're not consuming more whites than yolks.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Also, I think the original study demonstrating poor absorption from raw eggs used ileostomy patients. Sooooooo, maybe not totally applicable to people with intact guts.

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:46 pm

broseph wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:57 pm Also, I think the original study demonstrating poor absorption from raw eggs used ileostomy patients. Sooooooo, maybe not totally applicable to people with intact guts.
Not just ileostomy patients. FIVE ileostomy patients. 4 women and 1 man.

And I have yet to find a paper making the claim that raw eggs are only half as digestible as cooked eggs that doesn't base this on that study. Mostly because it's practically impossible to measure protein digestion in humans in any other way, from what I understand.

But, on second thought, it's probably a good idea to ramp up the raw egg consumption. Don't do an 8-egg shake on the first day. And see whether there are any unpleasant digestive consequences.

A great way to eat scrambled eggs, BTW, is cook them in butter and throw some chopped fresh herbs into them, especially chives, dill, and/or cilantro (if you're not one of those people who can't stand cilantro).

And don't cook the scrambled eggs too much. It's pretty easy to practically inhale eggs that way. But I do love eggs, raw, cooked, whatever, so maybe I don't understand your challenges fully.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:36 pm

I find cheese omelettes the least 'eggy' of the heavy egg delivery systems. The cheese can really swamp the eggy taste, which is great when you just can't pound any more eggs into your facehole. I just whisk the eggs then throw in chopped tomato and spinach. Let it get a bit firm in a pan on the stove then chuck lots of grated cheese on top and put it under the grill until done. Sure it's more trouble, but it's x1000 times tastier than scrambled eggs or boiled eggs or fried eggs yet again. Plus it has cheese! Cheese is king. You can probably tell I'm getting a bit sick of eggs. And really like cheese.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:04 am

I can't do plain eggs. At a minimum I have them scrambled with some other stuff (onions and ham are my usual). One thing I have found that helps is to eat them with hash browns. Without the potatoes by the end of 3 scrambled eggs I'm just done. Put some fried shredded potatoes next to it top everything with Frank's and 4 or 5 disappear with no problem.

indigo

Post by indigo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 am

Yeh the people knockin back 10 egg whites to 1 yolk are bbers, and it's cos of the fat content in the yolk as I'm sure you know.

I hate the taste of eggs but recognise their nutritional value, so best approach is as Shane says is to make something to distract from the taste like a cheese omelette.

I make a variation which I think most people would find disgusting, but I really like it.

Fry 5 or so anchovies on low heat, some chill flakes, let form a paste. Add paste to 6 beaten eggs, mix and then fry 2 mins or so each side.

This masks a lot of the egg taste :-)

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:55 am

Kregna wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm I want the nutrition & the protein of a lot of eggs, but I'm not a big fan of the taste (plus I get full easily, so 6-7 is probably my limit in one meal.

Ideally I'd blend about 8-12 of these bad boys up and drink em, but I've heard something about the 'bioavailability' of egg protein being higher when cooked. Could I heat the eggs up to where the whites turn white (instead of being clear), and then blend a load?

Hopefully also means no salmonella - which I think is already very rare for lion-stamped eggs in England

Any issues with this?
My biggest issue is it sounds godawful disgusting. Lukewarm semi-raw eggs blended into a froth and chugged down seems like a fraternity initiation, not something you do to yourself to improve your nutrition. Isn't there any alternative? (And I like eggs, I have a couple scrambled with sausage and peppers for breakfast most mornings).

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:58 am

Why are people always trying to force themselves eat more eggs anyway? I feel like this comes up a lot. I almost never eat eggs and I’m very handsome and strong.

Also, @Kregna, I thought you didn’t eat animals?

Don’t believe the lies from Big Egg, they give you no powers or nutrients:

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:09 am

I'm sick of people telling me and everyone else to not-not eat the yolks:

Eggs aren't so hot macro wise. For a goto "staple" anyways.
4 grams of fat / 6 grams of protein typically.
Dump the yolk? you probably lose 2 grams of protein as well (something like that)....so that's fucked.
If you are making an omelette, frying them up, and/or scrambling . . .
. . . you are likely using some oil or butter on top of that.
Put cheese in your omelette? (more fat)
Things get sideways pretty quick. Probably eating more fat than protein. or 50/50.
I hope you have absolutely zero fat grams in the rest of your breakfast / meal.
(peeps on real keto, not pseudo-keto, get a pass here)

Fat is not bad, but lots of calories are bad for some people trying not to eat lots of calories. . . .
. . . or calories that could better consumed with carbs or protein.
And I understand there's some micro nutrients in the yolk too.

That being said, I like eggs. I have my own enslaved chickens. I 'set aside' about 2/3 of the yolks.

#1 option:
8-10 egg omelette, leaving about only 3 yolks in there.
I'll fry up some lean ham, onions, and blanch some shredded kale or spinach. (see greens thread)
The 'discarded' yolks? I'll cook up separate, and work them into the dog's food (homemade dog food, which is pretty lean to start with)

#2 option:
I hard boil them, about 10-12 at a time. Eat about 4 of those yolks.
The remaining yolks? I thoroughly mash up with the egg shells.
And then feed that mess to the chickens.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 am

broseph wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:58 am
Also, Kregna, I thought you didn’t eat animals?
eggs aren't fertilized yet, therefore not a sentient being (yet)

so its totally ok

he's basically eating discarded chicken periods.

if he were vegan that'd be a total different story for sure.

also, any lifeforce in the egg is stored in the yolk, not another reason not to eat those
(conscientious objector, etc)

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:53 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:09 am Eggs aren't so hot macro wise. For a goto "staple" anyways.
This is why I eat 3 eggs/day. Sometimes 2. Which isn't all that much. Also lunch mostly of low-fat poultry. If I keep fat very low between breakfast and dinner, it comes out alright.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Six hard boiled eggs/day (yolks and all). A habit I can't seem to break.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:52 pm

I eat 4-5 scrambled eggs most days.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 pm

3 eggs scrambled in a measuring cup, then whites up to 1.5 cups every day. Add cholula or Frank's or whatever to taste. Also adobo

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:54 am

Some sound logic in favor of eating more eggs:

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Steamed eggs, anyone? One of my favorite ways to eat them. Easy to do in a microwave once you figure out the right temp and timing.