Justin's Weightlifting Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Kregna

Re: Justin's weightlifting and getting stronger log

Post by Kregna » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 am

damufunman wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:00 pm
Rough day today. Pull was not feeling strong, maybe because I've been working on pulling down under the bar, and subsequently cutting my pull short to keep the bar height lower. I dunno.
That was something I noticed when playing around with the lower catch - not fully extending. Where's Mbasic with his magical Oly knowledge when you need him :D

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:20 pm

10/15
AMBW nope. 203.6 after workout, including protein shake.

Squats:
345 x 5 x 5, belted @7, 7.5, 7.5, 8, 8.5 by feels, video showed a little faster.

Presses, strict TnG, no belt.
145 x 1 @7.5
152.5 x 1 @9, meant to do @8
130 x 5 x 4 @8, 8.5, 9, 9

Deadlift:
405 x 5, 3" belt, straps @9.5. Milestone PR, four plates for 5! Got into my iron 45s finally, gotta start thinking about another set 😁. Realistically, don't see 500 happening before baby in December, unfortunately.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaST3g_g8lx ... RVXxYlFw0/

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Kregna wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 am That was something I noticed when playing around with the lower catch - not fully extending. Where's Mbasic with his magical Oly knowledge when you need him :D
Yeah gotta work on that and figure out how to do both... Mbasic is becoming the Exodus Weightlifting Guru.

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Post by unruhschuh » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:10 am

I own a 3" belt from general leathercraft, but I can't use it properly. It hurts like a motherfucker even if I only put it on and do a valsalva, let alone lift anything. Can you teach me how to use it? You seem to wear it pretty low. Any other tips?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:40 am

unruhschuh wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:10 am I own a 3" belt from general leathercraft, but I can't use it properly. It hurts like a motherfucker even if I only put it on and do a valsalva, let alone lift anything. Can you teach me how to use it? You seem to wear it pretty low. Any other tips?
Belts are usually very user specific. I found wearing the 3" while deadlifting low in the front and slightly higher in the back works well to minimize pinching and pain. I still get some light bruising right on top of ASIS (front of pelvis), but it's the best I've found.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:50 am

I'm jelly of your home gym... You can do snatches every day if you want to :x

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 am

damufunman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:24 pm
Kregna wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 am That was something I noticed when playing around with the lower catch - not fully extending. Where's Mbasic with his magical Oly knowledge when you need him :D
Yeah gotta work on that and figure out how to do both... Mbasic is becoming the Exodus Weightlifting Guru.
I know you are joking...
I can only speak about what has worked for me...and a few others I have talked to.
It seems most people have the same basic problems when starting up.
MY son lifted at a real Oly gym, with a real coach, with two National Champions there, etc.
I paid attention. And I read a lot of OWL material.

Regarding the not extending all the way.
What I found . . . is with high hand stuff, you have to no shit do it from the highest hang position you can stand, with a decent weight.
That way, you do HAVE to extend fully to get that weight up to get under it.
What I found . . . just barely unlock your knees and hips before you start.

As the weight gets heavier, you'll be temped to start from a lower hang position. But don't.
Just extend forcefully, and pull under more aggressively.
It will feel awkward of course at first; at a certain point, something clicked..

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 am
damufunman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:24 pm
I know you are joking...
I can only speak about what has worked for me...and a few others I have talked to.
It seems most people have the same basic problems when starting up.
MY son lifted at a real Oly gym, with a real coach, with two National Champions there, etc.
I paid attention. And I read a lot of OWL material.

Regarding the not extending all the way.
What I found . . . is with high hand stuff, you have to no shit do it from the highest hang position you can stand, with a decent weight.
That way, you do HAVE to extend fully to get that weight up to get under it.
What I found . . . just barely unlock your knees and hips before you start.

As the weight gets heavier, you'll be temped to start from a lower hang position. But don't.
Just extend forcefully, and pull under more aggressively.
It will feel awkward of course at first; at a certain point, something clicked..
I suspected this was the case. Last couple times I've been cheating a bit and breaking hips & knees a couple inches. I think one of my good ones (minimal lowering) I had more dorsiflexion and arm pull/shrug getting the bar moving. Seems like even if it's just getting the bar moving a tiny bit it helps A Lot.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 am

I didn't finish my thoughts because my brain no function beer without.

To round it up, by putting the bar ridiculously high position, you HAVE TO "fully extend" to get it moving.
You can't "cut off a pull" that is already at the point where you would of cut it off had it started lower.

Also, in my limited option, there is a rhythm to the act of extending fully, and then retracting/pulling up the legs to squat under.
Some say there is a natural stretch-reflex in the hip flexors and shit there at the point . . .
Hip flexors extend fast, stop, and should want to snap back (lifting the legs).

So, my point is here, just starting from a true tall position (leg fully locked out) wouldn't seem to help as much
(except for the arm pull aspect maybe, that I could see being useful).

Justin, I've seen you snatch 185, and make it look easy.
Do a super high hang snatch . . .start at 95 and go to say 165 by 10# jumps, stay equally "high" at the start of every lift.
When the weight gets heavier, you'll want to squat down more at the start, don't.
It seems so unatural I know.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 am I didn't finish my thoughts because my brain no function beer without.

To round it up, by putting the bar ridiculously high position, you HAVE TO "fully extend" to get it moving.
You can't "cut off a pull" that is already at the point where you would of cut it off had it started lower.

Also, in my limited option, there is a rhythm to the act of extending fully, and then retracting/pulling up the legs to squat under.
Some say there is a natural stretch-reflex in the hip flexors and shit there at the point . . .
Hip flexors extend fast, stop, and should want to snap back (lifting the legs).

So, my point is here, just starting from a true tall position (leg fully locked out) wouldn't seem to help as much
(except for the arm pull aspect maybe, that I could see being useful).

Justin, I've seen you snatch 185, and make it look easy.
Do a super high hang snatch . . .start at 95 and go to say 165 by 10# jumps, stay equally "high" at the start of every lift.
When the weight gets heavier, you'll want to squat down more at the start, don't.
It seems so unatural I know.
Yessir!
Light day today, but I'll work up to 155 or so and try my damnedest to stay tall.

You seem like you'd make a good coach.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 pm

I can coach myself pretty good, identify MY problems, apply fixes

that is all

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 pm

10/17
AMBW: 204.0 pre morning BM

Warmup
Tall Snatches:
95 x 1f, 2, 2, 2, 2
1.1 stepped back, 2.2 stepped forward, 4.2 was just sloppy forward after I balked between the two.

also tried
Upright Row + Tall Snatch
95 x 2+1f

Back to Tall Snatches:
105 x f, 1, 1, f
The two makes were a bit slow; Wanted to go higher, but couldn't get under these well enough. Need to practice, bar height is there.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaX2CVJj8xr ... dLGCHDao0/

Snatches:
115 x 1
135 x f, 1
Tired.

Front Squats:
250 x 2f, 3, 3
Got waaaaaay forward on third rep of first set and couldn't recover. Kinda took me by surprise, guess the midfoot thing it real...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaXzOGojJ4T ... 4I1c-jbc0/

Benches:
197.5 x 5 x 5 @8.5, 8.5, 9, 9, 9.5
hit (bounced off) right safety on last rep of first set.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaXzPtCjBZP ... SqSDDWPg0/

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:49 pm

10/19
AMBW at friends house last night, so no measure.

Some muscle and tall snatches for warmup.

Tall snatch:
105 x 1
115 x 1, cheated (more than normal)
125 x 1 x 2

Hi hang snatch:
135 x 1, f, f, 1 first one really sloppy and pressed out. Last one videoed, actually looked pretty good, managed to get low, sorta.
145 x 1
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaczKmED97S ... OmlQEsOs0/

Snatch:
155 x f, 1, 1, 1
165 x f, 1

Squat:
395 x 4 @9.5. May have had a fifth, but didn't want to risk failing second week in a row. Moving to triples next week.

Push presses:
170 x 3 x 3, belted, 3" belt in last set. These were pretty shit today. Kept hitting the safety, and balance was all over the place. Keeping safety where it is, I tend to dip too low, so as long as I don't hit the safety then the dip is good.

DB curls:
20 x 20 x 3

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 am

Hey those hang/tall snatches seemed to have helped as it looks like you're dropping into the snatch now (the difference between the hang and tall snatch being a tall snatch starts at the jump position rather than a few inches below?)

Have you tried push pressing outside of the rack? Although the fact that you worked out that you were dipping too low from hitting the safeties is useful

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 am

Yeah I gotta take a look and compare some older video to see if I'm getting lower. The one I posted looked the best, but definitely not consistent, and I basically powered all the snatches at 155 and 165... :/

I can't work outside the rack, at least not from the J-hooks. There's a pole that gets in the way of loading the bar. I guess I could clean the bar and do that, but I know I tend to dip too low for jerks, and this is a good way to keep from doing that.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:44 pm

10/22
AMBW 200.4 didn't eat enough yesterday.

Spent yesterday baby furniture shopping and assembling. Did make it down to train, so I decided to do yesterday's workout plus today's squats. Only managed 3 sets squatting, but set 2 small PRs.
I did make a couple of changes on snatches: brought my grip in to about 1/2"-1" from the knurl rings. Overhead position felt a bit stronger there; read a couple of places that, counterintuitively, powers can help get under the bar better so I tried powering lighter weights, really focusing on pulling hard and then getting under. Need to start smoothing the transition, and getting lower, but it seemed to help.

Snatch:
Up to 190 PR.
Tried 195 three times, had it overhead twice but was forward. It's there, think I was just tired.

Clean & Jerk.
Hit 230, then cleaned 235 but missed the jerk. Got it in slomo, went forward during the dip and lost it in front. Also weak lockout overhead.

Took a break for.linch and grocery shopping and came back and did

Squats:
350 x 5, beltless @9 (video said @8)
340 x 5 x 2 @8.5, 8.5 (video again showed @8s). Second set with belt.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Baka022DeI_ ... Z3rYM87U0/

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm

Well now I'm not surprised it seems like my hands are getting torn up.
strap
Been using this regularly for snatches and deadlifts for about 2 months. Maybe B&R knurling is a little too heavy for a weightlifting training bar?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:39 pm

10/23
AMBW: 201.6

Feeling a little beat up, and have been fatigued and tired all weekend through today, so I've decided to take a light week. Hopefully it'll clear up by this weekend. Did yesterday's presses and deadlifts but went light on the deadlifts.

Press:
145 x 1 @7, belted
152.5 x 1 @8.5, belted. Better than last week
130 x 5 x 4 (same as last week) @8, 8.5, 8.5, 9- (easier than last week)

Deadlift:
365 x 3, 3" belt @ez. Work set hooked, all warmups DOH for once.

BB curls:
44 x 15 x 3

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 pm

10/25
AMBW 203

Another light day

Front squats: 225 x 3 x 3, easy

Bench:
205 x 5 x 5, @8, 8.5, 8.5, 8.5, 9.5. Sets 3 and 4 with 3" belt. Oddly first set was easiest (unusual for me with bench, but I guess not too strange) but got harder a lot faster than expected. Used belt to see if it actually makes any difference for me. Sets 3 & 4 didn't seem any better, but after taking the belt off RPE shot up, so i guess belt helps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BasXMOhjrOn ... J6R65OsI0/
Last edited by damufunman on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:55 am

What sort of rest breaks were you taking on the bench brosef?