Concert Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

BobGrant

Concert Thread

Post by BobGrant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Gov't Mule in Bend, Oregon tomorrow night.

I live in WI but will hop on a plane so I can take my kids who live out there to their first Mule show. I score many Dad Points.

Root
Grillmaster

Re: Concert Thread

Post by Root » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:29 pm

BobGrant wrote:Gov't Mule in Bend, Oregon tomorrow night.

I live in WI but will hop on a plane so I can take my kids who live out there to their first Mule show. I score many Dad Points.
I hear Bend is a great little town and a good venue to see a show (I assume it's only the one big venue)

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Awesome!

I just saw the Outlaw Music Festival this past weekend in Camden, NJ. It was Willie Nelson, Eric Church, Sheryl Crow, Avett Brothers, Lukas Nelson, and the Nightsweats.

It was a pretty good show. Most of the crowd were Eric Church fans - I'd never heard of the guy. Hearing Willie Nelson was hearing bis name. Musically, he wasn't all that great. His band was great and his son Lukas sings great. My wife is a giant Avery Brothers fan, so I've come to appreciate them as well.

BobGrant

Post by BobGrant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Root wrote:
BobGrant wrote:Gov't Mule in Bend, Oregon tomorrow night.

I hear Bend is a great little town and a good venue to see a show (I assume it's only the one big venue)
Bend is fantastic, it's located where the high desert meets the Cascade Mountains. It has grown a lot, though. The population is pushing 90,000. The show is at an interesting venue, not the biggest by any stretch, there's a place that holds Phish and Dave Matthews shows, but a cool one that is part of a brewery complex. It's basically a pop-up at Good Life Brewing. They have a natural, pretty big courtyard that holds a good sized crowd. Gov't Mule is running through some relatively small locations on this part of the tour. With two of my girls living there I couldn't pass it up.

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Post by Hamburgerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Seeing a doom show on saturday. Wretch and Astral Mass, among others.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:03 am

Saw Apocalyptica do "Four Cellos Cover Metallica" last Monday. It was a good concert, though I enjoyed it more before they added the drummer for the second half. The whole thing for me is how they manage to convey percussion and vocals with cellos. Still, fun concert.

Going to see Quinn Sullivan next month, and Thrice/Circa Survive the following. Thrice is probably my favorite band, so I'm looking forward to that. This will be the 3rd or 4th time I've seen Sullivan. What can I say, one of the greatest blues guitarists of his generation(faint praise given the thinning field I'm sure) and it's fun to watch him develop.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:46 am

I'll be seeing Kenny Wayne Shepard on Sunday evening, really looking forward to it. Between The Buried And Me is coming next week but they sold out, I'm working on procuring a ticket through alternate means.

tersh

Post by tersh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:31 pm

I saw the eight piece version of King Crimson earlier this year.

Completely incredible. Probably the best show I've seen.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Last night I saw my kids school concert. There's nothing quite like 90 year 3 kids singing "blame it on the boogie"

in a couple of weeks I'm going with a mate to see Me First and Gimme Gimme's. That's usually a fun show

tersh

Post by tersh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Hamburgerfan wrote:Seeing a doom show on saturday. Wretch and Astral Mass, among others.
Nice. One of my favorite things about Seattle is the metal scene here.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Niki wrote:The Melvins next month. Saw Helmet, Deftones and Dinosaur Jr. this year.
Saw Thrice/Rise Against/Deftones this summer.

Thrice was he best, obviously. Rise Against had the energy, but the singer couldn't keep his voice going.

Honestly, Deftones was pretty great. Energy is still there, but I just don't know their songs well enough to enjoy it as much I think. Chino doesn't have quite the melodic range he used to, but it's still decent.