Bolder's Training Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Bolder

Re: Bolder's Training Log

Post by Bolder » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:51 pm

1/5/24

Deadlifts, conventional and beltess w/ straps:
155kg x 8 (could've gotten one or two more reps)
155kg x 4
155kg x 4
155kg x 4
100kg x 40 second hold (double overhand, gonna bump up to 105kg)

Pull-ups, Assisted:
-42.5kg x 5
-42.5kg x 4
-42.5kg x 4 (should've done a 20 to 40 second dead hang hold)

Machine Low Rows:
105kg x 6
105kg x 5
105kg x 5

DB Preacher Curls:
7.5kg x 10 Gonna bump up it 10kg next time).
7.5kg x 5 (neutral/hammer grip)
7.5kg x 6
7.5kg x 5 (neutral/hammer grip)
7.5kg x 4
7.5kg x 3 (neutral/hammer grip)

Good session overall (deadlifts are starting to finally gain momentum. I'm going to try to hit 170kg for 5 reps next week, and the week after, let's see if I can get 180kg for 3 reps). Those deadlift rep/volume sets made my traps sore lol. I trained a bit of grip strength in-between, pinching and crushing strength (a little after my deadlift portion). Gonna try to max-out the Machine Low-Rows ~ 130kg for 5 reps before I use another machine for rows. Went back and forth on the preacher curls with no rest.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Fri May 03, 2024 12:28 am

3/5/24

Squats, high-bar and beltess:
116kg x 5
116kg x 3
116kg x 3
116kg x 3

Leg Extensions
72.5kg x 12
72.5g x 10

Leg Curls
85kg x 9
85kg x 9

Calf Raises
110kg x 6
110kg x 5

I suck at rep work on squats (I realize I tend to get more fatigued from rep/volume work on squats, and perhaps that deadlift AMRAP set on Wednesday took me out today as well). The decreased frequency is definitely affecting my squat strength the most. I may possibly up the intensity next training cycle (switch back to a single and two back-off sets approach). I may oscillate between hard (high loads) and easy (low loads, currently in this phase) squat training (to avoid injuries and stay pain-free from squats is important, so it doesn't detract from my bench press gains/performance, which matters the most to me).

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Sun May 05, 2024 11:43 pm

6/5/24

Bench Press, touch and go:
120kg x 4.5 (almost had the fifth rep, but I suppose a PR'ish?)
120kg x 1
120kg x 1
106kg x 5
106kg x 5
106kg x 5

Overhead Press, strict:
45kg x 6
45kg x 7
45kg x 5

Mystery Tricep Extensions #1:
8.25kg x 6
8.25kg x 5
8.25kg x 3 (went overhead)

Mystery Tricep Extensions #2:
39kg x 10
39kg x 9 (did forearm work between the tricep work)

Overall, good session. I almost got the fifth rep on the top set on the bench press with 120kg (luckily I had a spotter).

Gonna change the "Mystery Tricep Extensions #1" (which is just cross-body tricep pushdowns into just single-arm tricep pushdowns with a neutral-grip on the cables because it hurts the back of my left shoulder, rear delt sort of area).

Maybe I should also stop doing straight sets "heavy'ish" overhead press and perhaps just do less weight and higher reps but superset them with side and rear delt raises (since I'm already fatigued from doing six sets of bench anyway and it's not like I'd be pressing heavy overhead and I'm prioritizing benching over overhead press work anyway. However, it seems like the OHP is helping my bench). So like a mini-shoulder complex to get the blood into the muscle or perhaps keep the weight up (but just reduce by one set and do two sets instead, may go with that).

Anyway, I'm going to test out my bench max next week (I don't expect anything big tbh). The real test comes in five weeks (seeing if I can get the 136kg/300lb bench). Funny how benching one time per week is going better for me compared to benching three and five times lol... in the future, I may give benching two times a week a go again (which also worked for me in the past).

Well, I suppose I have longer'ish arms, so my chest and triceps are doing a lot of work, and I tend to get fatigued quite easily (which is why I can't emulate like a short powerlifter with short arms benching several times a week following a high-frequency program lol. Well, most powerlifters are "short." I think us guys that are average height and sort of taller with longer arms/legs tend to benefit from more powerbuilding/bodybuilding style training). Well, powerlifting is mostly a short man's sport (unless us average and taller lifts bulk up to 120kg+...).

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 am

Nice Bench work. You should be able to give 136kg a good run I think. :)

Interesting how effective frequency can vary so much, and bench seems to be where it shows up most. I really wish I could progress on 1x/week benching. Actually...I just wish I could progress on benching period. :(

As we've talked about before, I'm a short dude. But I still have longish limbs relative to my height, which works against me on squats and more so on bench. My elbows end up retracted as much or more as most other people when they're benching with a cambered bar. So height doesn't necessarily equate to good lifting leverages.

That's awesome that your benching seems to be benefiting from the Overhead pressing. I think that's the exception rather than the norm. I definitely would take advantage of that - it's always nice to be able to progress using different movement patterns since it can lessen the impact on the joints.

I really appreciate your attentiveness to your programming and how you're always making little tweaks. These adjustments should pay off in the long run.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 amAs we've talked about before, I'm a short dude. But I still have longish limbs relative to my height, which works against me on squats and more so on bench.
I’m also short (5’7) and have long arms working against me (although not long legs, thankfully), so I get it. I have a friend who has a 300 bench weighing around 160, but as he’s first to point out, he has T-Rex arms.
Clearwater47 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 amThat's awesome that your benching seems to be benefiting from the Overhead pressing. I think that's the exception rather than the norm.
My experience also is that OHP can drive bench. Just before covid I had managed a 290 bench single. Then didn’t bench for a year because I didn’t have a set up at home; my only upper body push movements were OHP and pushups. First day back in the gym a year later I singled 250 and it was easy; had at least 10 more lbs, i.e. was within at least 90% of my year old max.

ETA: Occurred to me how long ago that now was, and how little I’ve accomplished since. :|

…maybe I ought to bring back OHP…

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Tue May 07, 2024 12:38 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 am Nice Bench work. You should be able to give 136kg a good run I think. :)

Interesting how effective frequency can vary so much, and bench seems to be where it shows up most. I really wish I could progress on 1x/week benching. Actually...I just wish I could progress on benching period. :(

As we've talked about before, I'm a short dude. But I still have longish limbs relative to my height, which works against me on squats and more so on bench. My elbows end up retracted as much or more as most other people when they're benching with a cambered bar. So height doesn't necessarily equate to good lifting leverages.

That's awesome that your benching seems to be benefiting from the Overhead pressing. I think that's the exception rather than the norm. I definitely would take advantage of that - it's always nice to be able to progress using different movement patterns since it can lessen the impact on the joints.

I really appreciate your attentiveness to your programming and how you're always making little tweaks. These adjustments should pay off in the long run.
Oh sorry about that. Yes, limbs are the absolute factor.

To bench 1x times a week, it has to be an intense, voluminous thrashing session (I realize I tend to get fatigued quite easily on the bench press and squats). But yes, generally, people benefit from higher-frequency benching.

Thank you. Getting feedback (from training) does indeed does indeed help optimize our training programs.

DanCR wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 am
Clearwater47 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 amAs we've talked about before, I'm a short dude. But I still have longish limbs relative to my height, which works against me on squats and more so on bench.
I’m also short (5’7) and have long arms working against me (although not long legs, thankfully), so I get it. I have a friend who has a 300 bench weighing around 160, but as he’s first to point out, he has T-Rex arms.
Clearwater47 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 amThat's awesome that your benching seems to be benefiting from the Overhead pressing. I think that's the exception rather than the norm.
My experience also is that OHP can drive bench. Just before covid I had managed a 290 bench single. Then didn’t bench for a year because I didn’t have a set up at home; my only upper body push movements were OHP and pushups. First day back in the gym a year later I singled 250 and it was easy; had at least 10 more lbs, i.e. was within at least 90% of my year old max.

ETA: Occurred to me how long ago that now was, and how little I’ve accomplished since. :|

…maybe I ought to bring back OHP…
If there's room for dessert, there can certainly be room for OHP too. I suppose it's up to you what you want to do, though. I can not remember, but I believe there was a guy on this forum who improved his bench press by including the overhead presses? However, do I think the OHP is the end all be all? Not really, but I guess it benefit some people (but can't say if it would benefit everyone). Anyway, I have pretty weak shoulders to begin with anyway lol.

It seemed like the OHP maintained a lot of your bench strength. Obviously, you're training the delts and triceps (which are used in the bench press anyway). Funnily, the biggest muscles in our upperbody's are our shoulders (usually you would think if it would be the chest or back - well, there are different parts of the back). The pecs are like a flan-like shape (which covers a good amount of surface area spread out but isn't quite voluminuous), and yes, the shoulders can literally be cannonballs (which can give a voluminous look). Also, there are several fibers, and muscle attachments around the shoulders. Having bigger and stronger shoulders would still be quite beneficial for the bench press.

Last edited by Bolder on Wed May 08, 2024 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Tue May 07, 2024 11:46 pm

Deadlifts, conventional and beltess w/ straps and grip work:
170kg x 5 (A possible stop-and-go PR?)
170kg x 2
170kg x 2
170kg x 2
110kg x 10-second hold
Then did some grip training variants

Pull-ups, Assisted:
-42.5kg x 4
-42.5kg x 5

Machine Low Rows:
115kg x 6 (The wallet in my hoodie pockets got in the way lol)
115kg x 5

DB Preacher Curls:
10kg x 7
10kg x 7
10kg x 5 (neutral/hammer grip)
10kg x 5 (neutral/hammer grip)

Deadlifts are going well and somewhat trending upwards? Gonna try 182.5kg for 3 next week. This routine/program is doing well for my deadlift (and bench, but not so much for my squats...). The back accessories, the hamstring work later in the week, and others have benefited my deadlifts. Also, doing some volume work on the deadlifts is good (a good sign that I'm building strength on the deadlift).

I wanted to do deadhangs after the assisted pull-ups to further train my grip, but I have a bit of back left shoulder pain.

Now got squats this coming Friday. I think I may bump up to 5 sets each on my accessory lifts and rest a little shorter. Going to deviate away from the "Paul Carter" way of hypertrophy training.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Tue May 07, 2024 11:52 pm

Bolder wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:46 pmNow got squats this coming Friday. I think I may bump up to 5 sets each on my accessory lifts and rest a little shorter. Going to deviate away from the "Paul Carter" way of hypertrophy training.
What is Mr. Carter advising these days?

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Tue May 07, 2024 11:56 pm

DanCR wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:52 pm
Bolder wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:46 pmNow got squats this coming Friday. I think I may bump up to 5 sets each on my accessory lifts and rest a little shorter. Going to deviate away from the "Paul Carter" way of hypertrophy training.
Sort of up and down kind of thing.

Basically, he recommends training in the effective rep zone. He used to recommend 5 to 8 reps, but now he recommends 4 to 6 reps (in order to minimize fatigue) and doing those reps to complete failure (0-1 RIR). He recommends only doing upwards to 6 sets per session (of whatever single muscle group) and sometimes 4 is fine, but he says that it's individual.

Paul Carter is a "low-volume" guy.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed May 08, 2024 6:11 am

From what I've gathered he doesn't have the greatest reputation, but those seem like reasonable guidelines. At least they line up pretty well with what I've found through trial and error.

Your deadlift is coming along really well. :)
So your wallet is too fat... Wish I had that problem, lol.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Wed May 08, 2024 8:02 am

Bolder wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:56 pm

Basically, he recommends training in the effective rep zone. He used to recommend 5 to 8 reps, but now he recommends 4 to 6 reps (in order to minimize fatigue) and doing those reps to complete failure (0-1 RIR). He recommends only doing upwards to 6 sets per session (of whatever single muscle group) and sometimes 4 is fine, but he says that it's individual.

Heh, so the opposite of his old advice. 4-6 reps for lots of sets to failure seems like a good way to get some aching joints and tendons. I get the fatigue thing, versus say grinding 8-10, but who gaf about fatigue in hypertrophy training? I think you're right to move away from this.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed May 08, 2024 12:18 pm

DanCR wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:02 am

Heh, so the opposite of his old advice. 4-6 reps for lots of sets to failure seems like a good way to get some aching joints and tendons. I get the fatigue thing, versus say grinding 8-10, but who gaf about fatigue in hypertrophy training? I think you're right to move away from this.
I'd say it's probably not as simple as saying his advice is either right or wrong. It's maybe more along the lines of "this might be best for 10% of lifters, that might be best for another 10% of lifters, and so on".

Pretty sure we've talked about this before, but I accumulate fatigue much more from high rep work than low rep work on a lot of exercises. And I can do low rep work to failure with little fatigue buildup (I've gone to complete failure on compound lifts (squat, bench, and dead variations) in low rep ranges every day for a month straight. Didn't have any noticeable fatigue buildup until at least 2 weeks in. Didn't stop progressing until the 4th week).

Now I'm almost undoubtedly the exception and I recognize that. Just again saying that it's not as easy as saying that advice is right or wrong. But I also understand that's a slipper slope, and I get why you would push back against it in principle because I also almost always rail against 'accepted norms', knowing that normal or average aren't really a thing in the real world. I'd push back against anyone who says that everyone should be doing anything in particular, apart from the most basic, generic advice (which is also completely useless, lol).

So now that I've talked this out, I guess I agree with you that his advice (and everyone else's advice) should be disregarded, and everyone should just figure out what works for them. Unless his advice works for you, in which case you should agree with it and follow it. :lol:

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:18 pm

I'd say it's probably not as simple as saying his advice is either right or wrong. It's maybe more along the lines of "this might be best for 10% of lifters, that might be best for another 10% of lifters, and so on".

Pretty sure we've talked about this before, but I accumulate fatigue much more from high rep work than low rep work on a lot of exercises. And I can do low rep work to failure with little fatigue buildup (I've gone to complete failure on compound lifts (squat, bench, and dead variations) in low rep ranges every day for a month straight. Didn't have any noticeable fatigue buildup until at least 2 weeks in. Didn't stop progressing until the 4th week).

Now I'm almost undoubtedly the exception and I recognize that. Just again saying that it's not as easy as saying that advice is right or wrong. But I also understand that's a slipper slope, and I get why you would push back against it in principle because I also almost always rail against 'accepted norms', knowing that normal or average aren't really a thing in the real world. I'd push back against anyone who says that everyone should be doing anything in particular, apart from the most basic, generic advice (which is also completely useless, lol).

So now that I've talked this out, I guess I agree with you that his advice (and everyone else's advice) should be disregarded, and everyone should just figure out what works for them. Unless his advice works for you, in which case you should agree with it and follow it. :lol:
I don't think he is wrong. All that I'm saying is, although I think that his approach to hypertrophy could (would, even?) work, it also could lead to one being laid up with some serious wear and tear (meaning, not fatigue, but actual injury). If one is fortunate enough to not be in that camp, then certainly carry on.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed May 08, 2024 3:32 pm

DanCR wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm
Clearwater47 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:18 pm

I don't think he is wrong. All that I'm saying is, although I think that his approach to hypertrophy could (would, even?) work, it also could lead to one being laid up with some serious wear and tear (meaning, not fatigue, but actual injury). If one is fortunate enough to not be in that camp, then certainly carry on.
Gotcha, and yes I completely agree with you. I clearly read too much into posts sometimes. :oops:

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Fri May 10, 2024 12:13 am

10/5/24

Squats, high-bar and beltess:
122.5kg x 3
122.5kg x 1
122.5kg x 1
122.5kg x 1

Leg Extensions:
80kg x 12
80kg x 11

Leg Curls:
102.5kg x 4
102.5kg x 4 (gonna drop to 95kg)

Calf Raises:
120kg x 6
120kg x 5

Kept the squats light and didn't push them. Knee pain is not as bad as before. Gonna see where my 1RM is sitting for squats next week and bench too...

May start treating my squats like my deadlifts (since I get easily fatigued) in terms of the programming, sets and reps since the current program calls for working up to higher rep sets and subtracting by two reps (which seems unrealistic) or perhaps back to the top single plus 2 back-off sets of 3 approach.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Mon May 13, 2024 12:47 am

13/5/24

Bench Press, touch and go:
meh x 0 (no point in mentioning it lol)

Overhead Press, strict:
50kg x 6
50kg x 5
50kg x 5

Mystery Tricep Extensions #1:
6.25kg x 13
6.25kg x 11

Mystery Tricep Extensions #2:
46kg x 6
46kg x 6 (did forearm work between)

I dabbled with the thought of a two-times-a-week bench press intermediate template from Greg Nuckols, but I was not entirely sure where to fit it in a week. So far, I can do (Bench + upper, squats/deadlifts + lower, and close-grip bench/arms). However, I still want to continue with the push, pull, and legs 3 day split. I think I may need to throw in a second chest exercise as well. As for squats and deadlifts after this week, I'm going to switch to 1x1/2x3 (for four weeks). Looks like I'll go back to the every other day split (especially to bump up the frequency for bench) may interfere a bit with grad studies, but gains also takes priority too.

I thought about doing Juggernaut method (but I played around with the excel and it said I wouldn't be touching 117.5kg/260lb until the fourth month... which would be around September...). I do want to get a decent number before my yearly gym membership runs out lol.

Still the same format, but now it's going to be...

Day 1 - Push (BP/OHP)

- Bench Press alternate every other workout with close-grip bench (2x Beg Bench Greg Nuckols, last workout combine workouts 7 and 8 in reverse order - 1x1/5x3)
- Heavy OHP 3xF (forced linear progression)
- JM press supersetted with a close-grip bench or DIPs
- Various cable tricep extensions

Day 2 - Pull (DL)

- Deadlifts (DL 1x Beg Greg Nuckols or 1x1/2x3)
- Pull-ups, Assisted or Lat pull-downs
- Whatever rows
- DB preacher curls

Day 3 - Legs (Squats)

- Squats (SQ 1x Beg Greg Nuckols or 1x1/2x3)
- Leg extensions
- Leg curls
- Calf raises

So back to day 1, off, day 2, off, day 3, off, and repeat. Gonna start this on Sunday after fishing for a 3-rep max deadlift PR on Wednesday and doing a mild 1-rep max test squat on Friday (but won't expect much from squats tbh).

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Wed May 15, 2024 2:05 am

15/5/24

Deadlifts, conventional and beltess w/ straps:
162.5kg x 1
182.5kg x 0 (Was meant to get 3 reps with this weight. I thought I would at least get a one-rep since I've repped out 170kg last week)

Could not do any back-off sets

Pull-ups, Assisted:
-42.5kg x 6 (+1 rep)
-42.5kg x 5

Machine Low Rows:
120kg x 5? (+5 kg)
120kg x 5?

DB Preacher Curls:
12.5kg x 5 (+2.5kg, try to get 8 reps with this weight)
10kg x 6 (neutral/hammer grip)
12.5kg x 4
10kg x 6 (neutral/hammer grip)