Tales from the Office Space: Complain about your coworkers

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mouse

Re: Tales from the Office Space: Complain about your coworkers

Post by mouse » Wed May 12, 2021 3:00 am

broseph wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 am
hsilman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:32 am
broseph wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 am
hsilman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:54 am the budget
Yeah...
It's a computer, how much could it cost? $10?
There’s always money in the computer stand.
Scrolled by this a few times now and I have to know if this was an Arrested Development reference...

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed May 12, 2021 5:49 am

mouse wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:00 am
broseph wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 am
hsilman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:32 am
broseph wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 am
hsilman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:54 am the budget
Yeah...
It's a computer, how much could it cost? $10?
There’s always money in the computer stand.
Scrolled by this a few times now and I have to know if this was an Arrested Development reference...
Narrator: it was

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:46 am

Since I've returned to work from my surgery (~2 months now) there has been a meeting request cancelled/rescheduled several times with a couple engineers asking me to re-do/change some wiring in one of their electrical boxes.

The meeting finally happened today and the extent of the job was... connecting a wire.

I don't get it. Both of these guys are engineers, easily make twice my income, drew the original wiring diagram for the box, and waited around literally months to... walk me over and ask me to hook up a single wire?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 am

mouse wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:46 am Since I've returned to work from my surgery (~2 months now) there has been a meeting request cancelled/rescheduled several times with a couple engineers asking me to re-do/change some wiring in one of their electrical boxes.

The meeting finally happened today and the extent of the job was... connecting a wire.

I don't get it. Both of these guys are engineers, easily make twice my income, drew the original wiring diagram for the box, and waited around literally months to... walk me over and ask me to hook up a single wire?
Now that the wire is hooked up is there some boring or annoying task they will have to do on a regular basis?

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:53 am

5hout wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 am
mouse wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:46 am Since I've returned to work from my surgery (~2 months now) there has been a meeting request cancelled/rescheduled several times with a couple engineers asking me to re-do/change some wiring in one of their electrical boxes.

Now that the wire is hooked up is there some boring or annoying task they will have to do on a regular basis?
Nope.

It's a vacuum leak test, and all that wire did was put a switch in to make sure the test doesn't run if the air pressure is wrong. It's my understanding they only did it to this specific bench to bring it up to speed with the rest of the test benches around here.

I don't mind helping these guys out when they need boxes built but this seems... lazy lol.

Just hook up the damn wire.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 am

mouse wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:53 am
5hout wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 am

Nope.

It's a vacuum leak test, and all that wire did was put a switch in to make sure the test doesn't run if the air pressure is wrong. It's my understanding they only did it to this specific bench to bring it up to speed with the rest of the test benches around here.

I don't mind helping these guys out when they need boxes built but this seems... lazy lol.

Just hook up the damn wire.
Sounds like a Union company. I've worked around stuff like that, both incomprehensible laziness and people avoiding easy work because of Union rules and hassles for doing someone else's job instead of wainting for them to guarantee job security or something. Either way, it's annoying.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 am Sounds like a Union company. I've worked around stuff like that, both incomprehensible laziness and people avoiding easy work because of Union rules and hassles for doing someone else's job instead of wainting for them to guarantee job security or something. Either way, it's annoying.
Definitely not union... just inefficient at best and incentivized half-assing at worst.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:02 am

mouse wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 am
Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 am Sounds like a Union company. I've worked around stuff like that, both incomprehensible laziness and people avoiding easy work because of Union rules and hassles for doing someone else's job instead of wainting for them to guarantee job security or something. Either way, it's annoying.
Definitely not union... just inefficient at best and incentivized half-assing at worst.
I actually prefer that to unionized. At least that way I know what I'm dealing with, useless, lazy dinks. I prefer that to bereaucratic, useless, lazy dinks.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:52 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:02 am
mouse wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 am
I actually prefer that to unionized. At least that way I know what I'm dealing with, useless, lazy dinks. I prefer that to bereaucratic, useless, lazy dinks.
That's what my current job is like now (but I don't care because I'm leaving soon for a new job).

The last Union place I worked at I saw 2 maintenance guys struggling to hold up a large machine railing while trying to position it right to put anchors in the floor, so for about 15 seconds I help up the rail while they put the anchors into the floor and I got a Grievance from the Union. My manager was just as disappointed in the atmosphere there and told me not to worry and that they just charge the company for 4 HOURS of what a maintenance guy would've been paid to do that. Then I realized why everyone hates Unions.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:14 am

I usually don't get bothered by almost any level of technological ignorance or stupidity. I usually tell people that if they didn't have these "stupid" issues, I'd be out of a job, so don't worry about it. But yesterday, I found that someone literally unplugged the big desktop with "KEYFOB COMPUTER DON'T UNPLUG" plastered in big letters on it. It had to be an employee, but I don't know when it happened so I can't go look who did it. I just can't understand WHY? Why would anyone do that?

Anyway, anyone got a lead on a company that wants to hire a 40 yr old junior software engineer lol

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:45 am

hsilman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:14 am But yesterday, I found that someone literally unplugged the big desktop with "KEYFOB COMPUTER DON'T UNPLUG" plastered in big letters on it. It had to be an employee, but I don't know when it happened so I can't go look who did it. I just can't understand WHY? Why would anyone do that?
I am hoping this is the desktop that programs new key fobs and not a desktop that's running the key fob server that talks to the access panels or something horrible.

My wife deals with this crap all the time. Active network ports in "secure" data closets at remote sites being unplugged randomly, so then an important device loses communication and the local endpoint person (who was probably the one to unplug it in the first place) has to go in and plug it back in. I still have no idea why anyone would unplug an active port with a cable attached to it, ever, if they weren't working on that specific device at that particular moment.

Anyway, anyone got a lead on a company that wants to hire a 40 yr old junior software engineer lol
As far as I can tell, if you have the right buzzwords in your resume and can work from home the job opportunities are pretty much everywhere at present. Just depends on what you want to do and how much you want to make.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:42 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:45 am
I am hoping this is the desktop that programs new key fobs and not a desktop that's running the key fob server that talks to the access panels or something horrible.
...yeah, that's it...

(honestly, it SHOUDLN'T matter, but some doors were acting weird so...maybe?)

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:16 am

Working on a new project, day 6. Still getting our feet wet, but way behind the ball. Workflow is basically everyone does first pass review of documents, then a select group of people move over to QC. QC team switches between first pass and QC depending on what we need. Small project so only 2 people on QC team and the manager. Other QC person has asked me 3 times if I'm doing QC, once on Friday and twice today despite the manager having said repeatedly in chat "QC stays on first pass (1P) for now, we are way behind." He just asked me again when I'm moving from 1P to QC. Idk, maybe when the manager says to? I just can't.

On this project we have 3 key phrases that, regardless of context, get a specific set of codes applied. These aren't set to highlight in the viewer. Over 200 other phrases are set to highlight, despite having no relation to the current project. People that have hired us are asking why those 3 phases keep getting missed when they look at docs we haven't QC'd yet. Idk, maybe because they don't look important next to the hundreds of other highlighted phrases?

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:28 am

One of my night shift comrades just brought me a mason jar of apple pie corn squeezins so even though this is a complain about your coworkers thread I'd like to just this one time use it to say he's an all around good dude hahaha...

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:33 am

mouse wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:28 am One of my night shift comrades just brought me a mason jar of apple pie corn squeezins so even though this is a complain about your coworkers thread I'd like to just this one time use it to say he's an all around good dude hahaha...
Took me a second to figure out what you were talking about. Home made?

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:44 am

Brackish wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:33 am
mouse wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:28 am One of my night shift comrades just brought me a mason jar of apple pie corn squeezins so even though this is a complain about your coworkers thread I'd like to just this one time use it to say he's an all around good dude hahaha...
Yeah I guess him and a buddy built a still out in the woods hahaha...

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:45 am

5hout wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:16 am On this project we have 3 key phrases that, regardless of context, get a specific set of codes applied. These aren't set to highlight in the viewer. Over 200 other phrases are set to highlight, despite having no relation to the current project. People that have hired us are asking why those 3 phases keep getting missed when they look at docs we haven't QC'd yet. Idk, maybe because they don't look important next to the hundreds of other highlighted phrases?
Why can't you set them to highlight also?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:06 am

brkriete wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:45 am
5hout wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:16 am On this project we have 3 key phrases that, regardless of context, get a specific set of codes applied. These aren't set to highlight in the viewer. Over 200 other phrases are set to highlight, despite having no relation to the current project. People that have hired us are asking why those 3 phases keep getting missed when they look at docs we haven't QC'd yet. Idk, maybe because they don't look important next to the hundreds of other highlighted phrases?
Why can't you set them to highlight also?
Basically the person with those permissions on the software works for the company that hired us (actually, I think they are a leased contractor from another company, but not sure). This person jealously protects their job by insisting "bad things" could happen if we were allowed to change the document why we needed to change highlighting and implement the changes. So we get to email them and hiring person and then just wait for them to deign to answer an email approving and implementing it, which takes days and days. As for getting the rid of the dumb terms, after 5 years of this I've learned to not bother to ask. They universally get offended and pretend that people should just "dig into the documents, the highlighting is just a tool".

All of that said, we finally got our extra highlights and it only cut down on this particular error rate by maybe 50%, so fucked if I know.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:39 am

mouse wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:44 am
Brackish wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:33 am
Yeah I guess him and a buddy built a still out in the woods hahaha...
Very, very nice. Good dude status confirmed.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:34 am

1: Log into this morning. Paragraph in team chat explaining that our work server (not chat server) is down and they will email us when it is up, do not try and login. I thumbs up the msg. Other person thumbs up msg. At ~11:00am 3rd person logs in and posts "Good Morning" directly under this msg. Does not thumbs up msg. I msg wife "This person is going about to ask why they can't login to the work server". Sure enough 15 minutes later email dings "Is the server down? My work server link doesn't work anymore". Couldn't be bothered to read the 1 msg above theirs in chat. Person just deleted their good morning msg and thumbs up'd the server down msg. Can't un send the email though jackass.

2: Last Saturday morning I'm chilling at home, playing with kid. Manager calls me asking if I can login and find work (anything, just something to do as client has pre-approved full billing for the weekend) for the team (2 people) to do. Both people are asking for more work, as they are about to run out. I'm slightly confused as the task they were on was our 100% final, nothing to be done/hands off finishing task, but sure fine. I login, spend about 20m digging up work and writing instructions for them. Instructions go up. Both people respond "Ohh, I only have a few more minutes and can't work Sunday". WHY ARE YOU HAVING ME PINGED ON A FUCKING WEEKEND THEN JFC ARGH.

3: Project has been going on for a while, maybe on the 4th or 5th phase of it, not sure. Project "ended" today, in that there is a week break and we can't start work on the next phase for a week or two. I go to check that project's specific email and... tech support has already deleted it. Thanks guys, I guess I'll just #ThoughtsAndPrayers client doesn't directly email me (and not my manager). OH WAIT THEY CONSISTENTLY DO THAT. I'm the one running the actual team, so when they want shit done they just email me to have it done. I liaison with their internal tech people. I do the daily reports (that they don't read). No reason to just keep it open on the 99.99% chance they email me this week going "Hey 5hout can you get 1-3 people to do [random task they thought of b/c a butterfly passed them].