Tales from the Office Space: Complain about your coworkers

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

BenM

Re: Tales from the Office Space: Complain about your coworkers

Post by BenM » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:23 pm

I quit my job a couple of weeks ago. One of the reasons I quit is that my boss is so used to me just handling everything, they often delegate stuff to me that's not my job. Yes, I push back much of the time, but gotta pick my battles.

Now I've got additional pressure being put on me to find contractors to replace me. My boss is taking a very hands off approach and hasn't bothered making a single phone call or doing anything towards recruitment, AFAIK.

Cannot wait to walk out that door.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:25 pm

BenM wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:23 pm I quit my job a couple of weeks ago. One of the reasons I quit is that my boss is so used to me just handling everything, they often delegate stuff to me that's not my job. Yes, I push back much of the time, but gotta pick my battles.

Now I've got additional pressure being put on me to find contractors to replace me. My boss is taking a very hands off approach and hasn't bothered making a single phone call or doing anything towards recruitment, AFAIK.

I'm sure there are good reputation reasons to not just bounce, but holy shit would I be tempted to phone in the search and hit the bricks.

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:40 pm

5hout wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:25 pm
BenM wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:23 pm I quit my job a couple of weeks ago. One of the reasons I quit is that my boss is so used to me just handling everything, they often delegate stuff to me that's not my job. Yes, I push back much of the time, but gotta pick my battles.

I'm sure there are good reputation reasons to not just bounce, but holy shit would I be tempted to phone in the search and hit the bricks.
I kinda want the annual leave payout otherwise I would be very tempted.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:25 am

How does that conversation go? "Conditions are terrible here, I'm leaving. On an unrelated note, do you want a job?"

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:40 pm

convergentsum wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:25 am

How does that conversation go? "Conditions are terrible here, I'm leaving. On an unrelated note, do you want a job?"
Yeah, it's a good thing I'm not recruiting for an employee (which I am), but more for an outside contractor to fill my role at least temporarily. Otherwise it could be awkward, yeah.... I've got to be careful what I say on a public forum.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:38 am

Work gym is officially open again now that we're pretending we were never afraid of the COVAIDS which has apparently sparked a discussion on fitness amongst the engineers in my general are this morning and I'm wondering why I ever came back to this place...

"I saw a challenge where they had the world's strongest man (anyone over 300+ who lifts is apparently the world's strongest man I think) hanging on a bar and he couldn't last even 60 seconds but than they had a 7 year old girl and she could hang for like 10 minutes so it goes to show you that you don't need all that muscle to be functional!"

"Yeah I mean, if you're like 230 pounds it must be so hard to stop, and turn..."

*sighs in HW 275*

Ironically I took the dumb little qualification training so my badge could access it in case I wanted to start doing some light early morning cardio since I'm here long before anyone else is...

At least that's what I tell myself...

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:24 am

mouse wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:38 am "I saw a challenge where they had the world's strongest man (anyone over 300+ who lifts is apparently the world's strongest man I think) hanging on a bar and he couldn't last even 60 seconds but than they had a 7 year old girl and she could hang for like 10 minutes so it goes to show you that you don't need all that muscle to be functional!"
As we all remember from the Westminster Even Shorter Catechism:

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is to maintain the abilities of a 7 year old girl forever.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:44 am

mouse wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:38 am
"I saw a challenge where they had the world's strongest man (anyone over 300+ who lifts is apparently the world's strongest man I think) hanging on a bar and he couldn't last even 60 seconds but than they had a 7 year old girl and she could hang for like 10 minutes so it goes to show you that you don't need all that muscle to be functional!"
Get your dead hang up to 10 minutes and then you don't need to worry about my opinion.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:59 am

5hout wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:24 am
mouse wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:38 am "I saw a challenge where they had the world's strongest man (anyone over 300+ who lifts is apparently the world's strongest man I think) hanging on a bar and he couldn't last even 60 seconds but than they had a 7 year old girl and she could hang for like 10 minutes so it goes to show you that you don't need all that muscle to be functional!"
As we all remember from the Westminster Even Shorter Catechism:

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is to maintain the abilities of a 7 year old girl forever.
This will be a low blow but I'm pretty sure the 7 year old girl is already a match for some of those involved in the discussion from a physicality standpoint...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:54 pm

mouse wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:38 am Work gym is officially open again now that we're pretending we were never afraid of the COVAIDS which has apparently sparked a discussion on fitness amongst the engineers in my general are this morning and I'm wondering why I ever came back to this place...

"Yeah I mean, if you're like 230 pounds it must be so hard to stop, and turn..."

*sighs in HW 275*

Ironically I took the dumb little qualification training so my badge could access it in case I wanted to start doing some light early morning cardio since I'm here long before anyone else is...

The bar hang event was in Vegas the year that Manfred Hoeberl was involved. Phillippi and Harold Collins and a bunch of other guys were making their first appearance. The national pro qualifier was run basically in conjunction with WSM. The bar hang was over a pool and one of the dumber events ever tried. I actually had a promoters license for the governing body and an invite to Nationals but couldn't go. It would have made me a Pro just by showing up.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:00 pm

Lol that sounds like exactly what they were talking about...

These are the same people that once jokingly asked me if I "pulled trucks and stuff" for fun and got real awkward when I deadpan replied "yeah I've done a few truck pulls".

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:59 am

Once upon a time when I supported a different dept me and my partner in crime purchased a very nice $4000+ tool chest with a coded lock. I kept meticulous records and changed the code every couple of months, because our tools had a tendency to wander away.

Now, several years later I find myself giving this dept a hand, and needed something from the chest. I sent a text to their technician asking for the code.

"What code?"

Somehow these people have gone well over at least a year without locking the chest, so much so that none of them have any recollection of the code or the manuals/records I left them.

The good news is I'm a least good at breaking in to these tool chests.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:38 am

mouse wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:38 am Work gym is officially open again now that we're pretending we were never afraid of the COVAIDS which has apparently sparked a discussion on fitness amongst the engineers in my general are this morning and I'm wondering why I ever came back to this place...

*sighs in HW 275*

Did you bring up that the NFL is filled with 230lb+ players who are agile and turn well?
Or did you take the wiser route and not engage?

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:36 am

hector wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:38 am Did you bring up that the NFL is filled with 230lb+ players who are agile and turn well?
I avoid any kind of physical fitness or athletic related work conversation at all costs. Just not worth it.

Related/unrelated my workplace just put up a bunch of new propaganda posters about the dangers of lifting anything over 30 lbs.

Is it over 30 lbs? Can I lift it by myself? Is there an alternative to lifting? (complete with little cartoon of a pallet jack)

Imagine thinking you need a pallet jack to move around 30+ lbs.

TimF

Post by TimF » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:41 am

mouse wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:36 am
hector wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:38 am Did you bring up that the NFL is filled with 230lb+ players who are agile and turn well?
I avoid any kind of physical fitness or athletic related work conversation at all costs. Just not worth it.

Related/unrelated my workplace just put up a bunch of new propaganda posters about the dangers of lifting anything over 30 lbs.

Is it over 30 lbs? Can I lift it by myself? Is there an alternative to lifting? (complete with little cartoon of a pallet jack)

30 lbs? I guess I need a pallet jack to move my toddler around...

hector

Post by hector » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:52 am

mouse wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:36 am

My guess is that few actually believe this, but the poster helps them in the event of a lawsuit.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:15 am

hector wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:52 am My guess is that few actually believe this, but the poster helps them in the event of a lawsuit.
I am well aware of this, but I submit to you the comment section of any social media home gym/lifting group video as my supporting evidence.

There is seemingly astounding number of people who seem to live their lives in fear of spontaneously dying doing any kind of strenuous lifting.

Also... these ideas have to originate from SOMEWHERE that isn't just a legal team.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:42 am

mouse wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:15 am
hector wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:52 am My guess is that few actually believe this, but the poster helps them in the event of a lawsuit.
I am well aware of this, but I submit to you the comment section of any social media home gym/lifting group video as my supporting evidence.

There is seemingly astounding number of people who seem to live their lives in fear of spontaneously dying doing any kind of strenuous lifting.

Also... these ideas have to originate from SOMEWHERE that isn't just a legal team.
Is strenuity a requirement for owning or utilizing a home gym, though? If Joe Blow owns his/her/their own shit, I suppose they're free to do with it whatever they please, progressive overload be damned. Physical hardship for the sake of itself isn't all that glamorous to the average pedestrian, and who says it has to be? Rip? Especially if you can complete the same menial work, at work, in a smarter fashion...

Someone in their own home gym endlessly doing circuit training with the same pair of dumbbells might not be neurologically conditioned or prepared to lift anything heavier than they're accustomed to, and (thankfully) said user might know their own limits. Or maybe they only give a fuck about heart health or sinew or looking decent without clothes.

Though it's nothing to brag about, I work with plenty of people who probably can't (or aren't willing to) lift an arbitrary number of pounds' worth of some shit they don't personally own, and aren't willing to incur the intimate risk of tearing something. They come get me to move their desktops when IT takes too long to respond to a ticket, and the first thing I always hear is, "Don't hurt yourself!" It's not because they doubt I can lift it; it's because they know it would really suck ass for anyone to tear something -- under any circumstances -- for an employer and not for the physical fulfillment that a hobby like lifting entails.

And, as was pointed out, the employer's going to set the ceiling real low to avoid a lawsuit. If the sign said to get a dolly for anything weighing over 250, and someone fucks up a bicep or a hamstring lifting 200, well ... that employer's legal team is likely a stable of dum-dums.
Last edited by Renascent on Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:22 am

my mom was grousing about me lifting "heavy" (lol) once, so i asked her above what weight i should avoid lifting and she earnestly replied "100 lbs."

i suspect this is probably closer to conventional wisdom than anything we would recommend.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:28 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:42 am Is strenuity a requirement for owning or utilizing a home gym, though? If Joe Blow owns his/her/their own shit, I suppose they're free to do with it whatever they please, progressive overload be damned. Physical hardship for the sake of itself isn't all that glamorous to the average pedestrian, and who says it has to be? Rip? Especially if you can complete the same menial work, at work, in a smarter fashion...

Someone in their own home gym endlessly doing circuit training with the same pair of dumbbells might not be neurologically conditioned or prepared to lift anything heavier than they're accustomed to, and (thankfully) said user might know their own limits. Or maybe they only give a fuck about heart health or sinew or looking decent without clothes.

Though it's nothing to brag about, I work with plenty of people who probably can't (or aren't willing to) lift an arbitrary number of pounds' worth of some shit they don't personally own, and aren't willing to incur the intimate risk of tearing something. They come get me to move their desktops when IT takes too long to respond to a ticket, and the first thing I always hear is, "Don't hurt yourself!" It's not because they doubt I can lift it; it's because they know it would really suck ass for anyone to tear something -- under any circumstances -- for an employer and not for the physical fulfillment that a hobby like lifting entails.

And, as was pointed out, the employer's going to set the ceiling real low to avoid a lawsuit. If the sign said to get a dolly for anything weighing over 250, and someone fucks up a bicep or a hamstring lifting 200, well ... that employer's legal team is likely a stable of dum-dums.
This is a really long post to refute that there a lot of "Make sure not to lift X because you'll blow a disc!" comments on internet lifting videos...

It wasn't a critique or commentary on different training mentalities or styles.

The comments I've seen also frequently come from people who consider themselves lifters.

Edit: let's not let my frustration about people who used to bench 500 back in high school telling kids that deadlifting anything over 135 is 'ego lifting' that will put them in a wheelchair detract from the humorous posters about needing a pallet jack to lift more than 30 32 lbs