Brazilian navy pensioner loses pension after sex change

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Murelli

Brazilian navy pensioner loses pension after sex change

Post by Murelli » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:29 am

Background info: all military who entered brazilian armed forces before 2001 left their full pension to their wives or unmarried daughters upon death. That created a lot of "unmarried" daughters who don't do potato for a living. That joke got ended in 2001, but guys who entered before 2001 continue to have daughters and they still have the same rights.

Ze Brakking Noowz (portuguese only, google translator is your friend): http://blogs.oglobo.globo.com/ancelmo/p ... -sexo.html

TL:DR - brazilian navy unmarried military daughter decides to change sex and name, female to male, and becomes a son. Navy's pension management cuts off his pension, because sons don't have any rights to their parents' military pensions.

Discus.

KOTJ
Superstar

Re: Brazilian navy pensioner loses pension after sex change

Post by KOTJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:32 am

Isn't the Brazilian navy in charge of the floats for Carnaval?

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 am

KOTJ wrote:Isn't the Brazilian navy in charge of the floats for Carnaval?
Only if it's Carnavio.

tersh

Post by tersh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:56 am

That's a really... old school (?) policy. If you're gonna leave pensions to people, it should go to whoever.
I mean, women have a high labor participation rate in Brazil, right?

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:01 am

tersh wrote:That's a really... old school (?) policy. If you're gonna leave pensions to people, it should go to whoever.
I mean, women have a high labor participation rate in Brazil, right?
You would be surprised at how archaic this country is.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 am

I mean, Brazil recognized the newly made man as a male. It is simply enforcing the law as written. Which was archaic and misogynist. But was fixed in 2001. So...nothing to see here? Progress?

Pensions are bullshit. That's the story.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 pm

aurelius wrote:I mean, Brazil recognized the newly made man as a male. It is simply enforcing the law as written. Which was archaic and misogynist. But was fixed in 2001. So...nothing to see here? Progress?

Pensions are bullshit. That's the story.
Where are all the Chelsea Manning discussing people now?

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:55 pm

aurelius wrote:I mean, Brazil recognized the newly made man as a male. It is simply enforcing the law as written. Which was archaic and misogynist. But was fixed in 2001. So...nothing to see here? Progress?
^this

Stupid, flawed rules. But yeah, the child is a man now, and according to the stupid rules, menchildren do not get pension payments. I guess my question is: do transmen have full rights and equality in other areas? Because if this is the only area in which his status as a man is accepted, then that's bullshit. But if the law provides for him to be treated as a man in all other areas, too, then welcome to manhood, chief.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:01 pm

fishwife wrote:
^this

Stupid, flawed rules. But yeah, the child is a man now, and according to the stupid rules, menchildren do not get pension payments. I guess my question is: do transmen have full rights and equality in other areas? Because if this is the only area in which his status as a man is accepted, then that's bullshit. But if the law provides for him to be treated as a man in all other areas, too, then welcome to manhood, chief.
Pretty much yes, at least in big urban centres like Rio the law is reflected in social behaviour. All Brazilian affirmative actions towards gender benefit women, so he will have to man up and take the consequences of his choice.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Murelli wrote:Pretty much yes, at least in big urban centres like Rio the law is reflected in social behaviour. All Brazilian affirmative actions towards gender benefit women, so he will have to man up and take the consequences of his choice.
i c wut u did thar