Gyms for the travelling lifters...

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

FredM

Re: Gyms for the travelling lifters...

Post by FredM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 am

San Diego -- Valens Strength.

San Francisco -- Sunset Gym (Open Gym looks awesome, but I couldn't make it to their... open gym... hours)

Ireland: Flyfit (Dulbin), Total Body Fitness (Killarney), Clayton Hotel/Club Vitae (Dublin)

All the above have $15-$20 day passes with the exception of the Clayton Hotel, which you'd want to stay at to get free access to a gym with 2 power racks, a squat rack, a bench rack, and just about anything else you'd want to not miss a workout while enjoying Dublin.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:43 am

If anyone's out near Burlington, Vermont for any reason, Lift VT in Williston is pretty good: http://liftvt.com

Los Campeones in Minneapolis/St Paul is excellent: https://loscampeonesgym.com

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 am

Anyone have any suggestions for someone traveling to Lincoln NE? Finding places with decent enough equipment with the help of Google and Instagram has been easy, but I've yet to get a clear answer on what they consider an acceptable level of noise from deadlifts from any of them over the phone.

TheFlush

Post by TheFlush » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:56 am

Have you considered a baseball backpack? They tend to have a lot of compartments that might serve your needs. This one is pretty expensive, but there are many others out there.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 am

Going to the Outer Banks next weekend, found a place at least equipped with Legend equipment 5 miles from the condo. Assertive Athletics, $21 for the week. I am slightly more excited for the trip, now. I'll probably be able to get in 3-4 workouts in the morning before anyone else even wakes up.

Viola

Post by Viola » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I visited two black iron gyms while on vacation. Would recommend both.

Berlin Strength in Berlin. Couple of blocks from the Warschauer Straße Station. Owned by the guy who owns Strengthshop. All the powerlifting equipment, all the chalk. Lots of Strengthshop equipment. $20euro drop-in fee. Bit of a hole in the wall location, it is in the colourful alley behind the street of its listed address. Lots of homeless youth and graffiti in the area, but busy enough with other people that I didn't feel unsafe. Some outdoor platforms/racks.

Commando Temple in London/Deptford. Half a block from the Deptford Bridge station. All the powerlifting and strongman equipment. One side was being used for Jiu Jitsu, the central room for lifting and the far room for yoke walks when I was there. Small but has everything. 15£ drop-in fee.

Both places on Google maps and Facebook. Responded quickly to requests for info.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:44 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:50 am Nantucket
Not a lot of options to choose from here, which sucks, as my inlaws take the family there for a couple of weeks every year. I've been going to Nantucket Health Club. The drop in rate is $30 for one time, or $118 for a week (because Nantucket...) They have two squat racks with ivanko power bars and bumper plates, which is not bad, but it gets crowded there, since its the only gym on the island that is not part of a hotel or country club.
So, this information I provided is from 1.5 years ago, the last time I was on Nantucket. This is probably a little bit of a reach given it being a little out of the way, but does anybody know if there are any new spots on Nantucket to lift? I'm headed there with my family in a week for about 10 days and I just started the Nuckols advanced bench program. I don't want to miss a bunch of days with it, and the NHC is just too pricey to go to 3-4 times during that vacation.

quark

Post by quark » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Any recommendations in Paris in the Louvre, Palais Royal area?

ch

Post by ch » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Allentown wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 am Going to the Outer Banks next weekend
Good luck....

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:14 am

ch wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:52 pm Good luck....
Driving to Atlanta today, wife and kid flew out this morning on the last available seat (first class...)

ch

Post by ch » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:14 am Driving to Atlanta today, wife and kid flew out this morning on the last available seat (first class...)
Sorry Florence ruined your vacation. Glad you got out, though. Boggles the mind when people don’t evacuate. I’m inland but everyone is panicking. Should be some nasty flooding and wind, but nothing like the coast.

ChrisA

Post by ChrisA » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi all!

Looking for recommendations for:

Munich, not far from Marienplatz, I hope
Lyndhurst/Rutherford/Meadowlands in NJ

Thanks!

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 am

Edmonton AB:
Evolve chain of gyms are perfect. Cheap drop in rate, Eleiko Powerlifting and weightlifting equipment, perfectly curated machines and conditioning equipment
L2 fitness: Slightly worse than evolve, but worth it if you're staying in the area
City of Edmonton gyms (Commonwealth and Kinsmen in Particular): Good enough equipment for most weightlifting and powerlifting. Better benches and bars would be appreciated
University of Alberta & NAIT gyms: not the best option but perfectly fine if you're staying in the area and don't want to travel

Calgary AB:
Evolve: Same as Edmonton
The Strength Edge: Home of Calgary Barbell
University of Calgary & SAIT: Good option if you don't want to travel to other locations

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 am

Any suggestions for Downtown Nashville?

Skander

Post by Skander » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:45 pm

I am mildly annoyed my rep bar order placed Friday hasn't shipped yet, but seeing as they accidentally left their sale up an extra day, I think things might be a bit busy over there...

acelticmonk

Post by acelticmonk » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:50 am

Recommendation: Spokane Valley, WA: Giorgio's Fitness. It has 3 racks, a deadlift platform, plus the assortment of cable machines, etc. I dropped in there on Friday after Thanksgiving - not sure what their day rate is as they waved me in for free, but their monthly is $19, so it can't be terrible. No bumper plates or rubber plates.
Last edited by acelticmonk on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

acelticmonk

Post by acelticmonk » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 am

I thought I'd posted this previously, but I guess not.

If you're in Edinburgh, Scotland - The Bodybuilding Gym in Leith is a friendly place. I can't recall their rates, but it was super low - under 10, I think. Deadlift platform, a couple of squat racks, etc. It's a bit of a hole in the wall, no locker rooms, etc, but they treated me well when I visited this past summer.

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:58 am

How about in Montreal, Quebec?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 am

Anybody know of a decent gym in Prague? I'll be there towards the end of April for a little over a week. I imagine there will be a lot of downtime with a napping toddler, and so I'll probably be able to fit in a couple of workouts. @Qlder, not sure if you'll see this, but I saw that you mentioned something about knowing a few good gyms in @Idlehands log. Mind sharing what they might be?

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:58 pm

omaniphil wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 am Anybody know of a decent gym in Prague? I'll be there towards the end of April for a little over a week. I imagine there will be a lot of downtime with a napping toddler, and so I'll probably be able to fit in a couple of workouts. @Qlder, not sure if you'll see this, but I saw that you mentioned something about knowing a few good gyms in @Idlehands log. Mind sharing what they might be?
You find it? I can message him if needed.