Gyms for the travelling lifters...

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

omaniphil

Re: Gyms for the travelling lifters...

Post by omaniphil » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:28 pm

@Idlehands, if you could message him, that would be great

Rory

Post by Rory » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:23 am

Guys,

Just going to make a comment about gyms in Dublin (in part reiterating advice given earlier in the thread).

Flyefit is a chain of budget gyms with a kind of warehouse / box / functional vibe. There are locations all over the city, with three which are city centre based and likely to suit a lot of tourists. One day passes are around the €12 mark and can be booked online. The card you use to pay with is your swipe for entry.

Flyefits depend on the building in terms of layout but you'll generally get 5-8 good quality racks, with 2-4 platforms, a large number of Jordan bars and bumper plates, and then separate areas for machines, warm-up, functional training etc. They tend to be pretty well kitted out with kettlebells, dumbbells, battling ropes, sometimes prowlers and whatnot. In one or two locations they also have a couple of Eleiko bars and Eleiko training bumpers, which is odd but welcome.

The other big recommendation I would make for training in Dublin is Animal Barbell, which again has day passes for around €12 and is a bit of a mecca for powerlifting and bodybuilding in North Dublin. Ireland's only pro bodybuilder trained out of there before relocating to the U.S (Hope I'm correct in saying that, I'm only an occasional drop-in). They're hosting Boris Sheiko this weekend for a seminar. Very friendly environment with several platforms, about 4-5 racks and a large, large number of plate-loaded machines. Bars are all Rogue or Texas Power Bar, with a few Strength Shop throw into the mix. Plates and bumpers are a mixture of Strength Shop, Eleiko and Jordan. The only difficulty is that it's located in an industrial estate in North Dublin that will really require that you drive in order to access very easily.

There are a tonne of CrossFit and other box-type gyms in Dublin that probably will accommodate visitors, and other long-running and popular lifters' gyms are RAW and Hercules Club. Not going into detail on either because it's been many years since I was in them.

The other budget gym competitor to FlyeFit which can be found throughout the city is Ben Dunne. These gyms are very commercial feeling in nature and you'll get a lot of 'ordinary' folks in them, but also people who are just very budget sensitive. The machines and general set-up is good but there is sometimes a lack of racks, platforms, good bars and whatnot. Dumbbells when I was last in a Ben Dunne seemed to only go up to 30kg or thereabouts.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:01 am

jwilson625 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:43 am If anyone's out near Burlington, Vermont for any reason, Lift VT in Williston is pretty good: http://liftvt.com

Los Campeones in Minneapolis/St Paul is excellent: https://loscampeonesgym.com
I may try out Los Campeones in a couple weeks.

Does anyone know any additional options in Minneapolis? I’ll be staying in Golden Valley if that matters.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:56 am

Gonna be doing some traveling in August and would love to get a session or two in if possible.

Any leads on gyms in Burke VT or North Adams Massachusetts?

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:27 am

@augeleven North Adams is tiny. It does have a YMCA and a Planet Fitness.
About 20 mins south is the closest "black iron" style gym, and they do $5 day passes. https://www.givestrength.net/connect

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:36 am

augeleven wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:56 am Gonna be doing some traveling in August and would love to get a session or two in if possible.

Any leads on gyms in Burke VT or North Adams Massachusetts?
A few years back, I was in Williamstown for a funeral over Thanksgiving, and got in a session at Berkshire Kettlebells. I forget what the drop-in fee was, but they have some barbells and racks in addition to the kettlebells.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:36 am

I think I’ll be stranded without a car in North Adams. The Planet Fitness doesn’t look like it has barbell stuff. I’ll check to see if the Y does drop in rates. Thanks for the tips!

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:38 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:36 am ...but they have some barbells and racks in addition to the kettlebells.
Cool. I didn’t even bother checking with them- figured they were a dance studio with kettlebells kind of setup.
Thanks!

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:03 am

Went to Iron Warrior Gym in Denver last week when I was on vacation. It's a pretty awesome place with tons of powerlifting and strongman equipment. Similar (as far as I can tell) to Untamed Strength if you're familiar with Alan Thrall's videos. $15 day passes. I greatly enjoyed playing with the strongman stuff. They have logs for pressing, circus dumbbells, tires, sandbags, kegs, atlas stones, yokes, farmers handles, etc. Video tour at link below:

https://www.ironwarriorgym.com/video-tour

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm going to be in Asheville, NC this weekend for a bachelor party, and I want to get in a workout before the rampaging begins. Anyone have suggestions? I was just going to drop in at the crossfit box near where I'm staying (Summit Crossfit) but figured I'd see if anyone had suggestions.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Stenson wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:23 am I live near Vegas and get a lot of questions regarding gyms from people visiting here. I would recommend Iron Addicts, it's close to the strip and has good reviews.

Also, Izzy trains there so you can go pester him if you see him in there.
@Stenson

what about the summerlin area?

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:14 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:22 pm
Stenson wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:23 am I live near Vegas and get a lot of questions regarding gyms from people visiting here. I would recommend Iron Addicts, it's close to the strip and has good reviews.

Also, Izzy trains there so you can go pester him if you see him in there.
@Stenson

what about the summerlin area?
I'm not too familiar with Summerlin, I live in Boulder City and rarely venture out that way other than to go to Red Rock. I know The Lift Factory and Stronghouse are not too far away from there.

deepmountain

Post by deepmountain » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:22 am

rjharris wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:02 pm I'm going to be in Asheville, NC this weekend for a bachelor party, and I want to get in a workout before the rampaging begins. Anyone have suggestions? I was just going to drop in at the crossfit box near where I'm staying (Summit Crossfit) but figured I'd see if anyone had suggestions.
Not sure if this is too little too late, but Biltmore Fitness is a great gym replete with pretty much anything you could need.

BenM

Post by BenM » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 pm

If you're in Australia and happen to be on the Sunshine Coast looking for somewhere to train, you could do a lot worse than Muscle Hut.

They have, I dunno - 10 or 12 squat racks, a couple with monolifts, about the same amount of bench stations, plenty of bumpers, dozens upon dozens of machines.... also a bunch of strongman gear (apparently a lot of it was out at Queensland's Strongest Man this weekend but I still saw a few logs and a car deadlift etc)....

Not crowded at all even on a Saturday morning, and all the folks I did see looked like people who actually lift. The owner was very cruisy about letting me buy a couple of session passes, I'm gonna buy one of their shirts too, I think. Really happy to support em!

acelticmonk

Post by acelticmonk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Any hot tips in India for Kochi (near the Marriott) or Chennai (near the Westin Velachery)? I've got a business trip fast approaching.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:21 am

Anyone got a location with drop-ins in downtown Chicago? I'll have access to a car, but would prefer something walking distance of Michigan and Chicago. Of course, if there's a chance of running into Coan I'll drive anywhere...

EDIT: I guess my actual question is: Does Lance's have drop-in, I know quad's does for a reasonable price. Would like visit both gyms during the trip. Any other gyms people can think of?

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Anybody know any gyms in Canberra's northside that do cheap casual visits? My house is being repainted so home gym is a storage room for the next week or so.

gtl

Gyms in Las Vegas

Post by gtl » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:30 pm

I'll be traveling for work next week, staying about 5 mins from the Vegas strip. Any recommendations for a gym I can drop in at? 24 hours would be nice.

gtl

Re: Gyms in Las Vegas

Post by gtl » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:24 am

So far, my best bet appears to be https://www.stronghouseproject.com/pages/gym

mbasic

Re: Gyms in Las Vegas

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:01 am

There's a travelling gym goer's thread, look in there. That thing is handy.

@Manveer maybe merge this in there....