Gyms for the travelling lifters...

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Re: Gyms for the travelling lifters...

Post by KyleSchuant » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Good. Drop in and visit before the training camp. Then you can tell me if they've changed anything substantial.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:54 am

Any recommendations in Chicago? I know there are a couple of people from that area on the board.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:07 am

BostonRugger wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:54 am Any recommendations in Chicago? I know there are a couple of people from that area on the board.
Quads
Kratos Strength Systems
B&W
Chicago S&C ($35 day pass, limited hours & availability)

DannyP

Post by DannyP » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:23 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:54 am Any recommendations in Chicago? I know there are a couple of people from that area on the board.
What part of town will you be in, and do you need a "real" gym (like the ones Manveer mentioned) or just a convenient one that has racks, barbells and plates?

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks @Manveer @DannyP. The facility is out in Oak Brook so definitely not as ‘in’ Chicago as I thought. Presumably I’ll be staying nearby, but I don’t know how much choice I’ll have in the matter.

I’ll be there for two weeks so I’m hoping for a place with decent bars/racks. I’ve become kind of a Princess and the Pea type with my training. Gonna do some more research online, but definitely open to suggestions. Might not be able to get into Chicago proper for workouts.

DannyP

Post by DannyP » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:09 am

BostonRugger wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 pm Thanks @Manveer @DannyP. The facility is out in Oak Brook so definitely not as ‘in’ Chicago as I thought. Presumably I’ll be staying nearby, but I don’t know how much choice I’ll have in the matter.

I’ll be there for two weeks so I’m hoping for a place with decent bars/racks. I’ve become kind of a Princess and the Pea type with my training. Gonna do some more research online, but definitely open to suggestions. Might not be able to get into Chicago proper for workouts.
I'm not particularly familiar with Oak Brook. I know there's a local chain of semi-upscale (think Equinox-lite) gyms called FFC with a location in Oak Park (not too far), but I'm not sure what types of equipment are there. The big globe-gym chain all over Chicago is X Sport; they're everywhere and pretty inexpensive so there's likely one around you. Very crowded and lots of men without sleeves...

Perhaps also look for CrossFit gyms that will sell you a two-week pass to just come and lift?

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:09 am

There is a powerlifting gym in Lombard which is somewhat nearby if you will have access to a car. Its called 2XL powerlifting.

mbasic

GYM REPORT: EoS Fitness

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am

Might be handy for some of you that travel around to bigger cities, etc.
I had some time to kill at a restaurant near an EOS Fitness, so I checked it out.
I guess these are just in the SouthWest (Vegas, SoCal, Phoenix, etc)

This place didn't seem too bad.
They had 3 platform/squat stations like my Lifetime in one area; and then another 2 in another "Team Training" area.
Had colored bumpers; the platform had rubber landing mats for the plates.

A lot of hammer strength fulcrum-arm-type-machines, a few benches, etc.
Mostly cardio equipment. Dumbbell selection was bleh.

Also, was impressed with their other conditioning "tools":
- Had a large fake grass area, with an indoor prowler sled. I've never seen this at a true globo gym before.
- A few rowers
- An Airdyne type bike
- And 3-4 treadmills, but with built-in harness gimzo restraint thingy. Basically, a deadmill type set up. You could pull, drag, or push.

I've stopped in or lifted at a quite a few globos. Hardly EVER see a decent rower. NEVER seen an airdyne, assault bike.
My lifetime has outdoor push sleds, but they keep them locked up for group classes, etc.
So for conditioning/HIIT stuff . . . I was impressed with this place.

I would opt for this place over an LA Fitness, which is my goto spot for when I'm travelling for a barbell workout.
(mostly for me, because bumper plates)

The staff was super busy. I just blew by everyone and the front desk and started walking around.
. . . I didn't get any drop-in pricing, etc . . . sorry.

There were a lot of idiots doing stupid silly bullshit.

DannyP

Re: GYM REPORT: EoS Fitness

Post by DannyP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm

I lifted at one in Palm Desert a couple weeks ago and it wasn't for me. Probably the best equipped area was the conditioning, as you said, that had all of the TRX stuff and a prowler. Geared somewhat to group classes, it seemed.

While there were a number of platforms with bumpers, they were clearly there for Oly lifters, since none were set up along with a rack... There were three racks in the whole place, one of which was a crappy fixed-safety rack with multiple hooks (vs. movable J-hooks). Bars were also pretty crappy, IMO.

I'd certainly lift there if it were the only option, no question, but I found a local, single-location gym that had better setup/equipment.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:20 am

I assumed being globo corporate place...they'd all be set up the same.
(Like LA Fitness and Lifetime)

My bad

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 am

@mbasic I merged your thread with this existing thread.

DannyP

Post by DannyP » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:09 am

mbasic wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:20 am I assumed being globo corporate place...they'd all be set up the same.
(Like LA Fitness and Lifetime)

My bad
That's what I'd have tended to think, too, but I've seen some big differences between different locations of "mega" gyms. Case in point, I once lifted at a Crunch in NYC and all the equipment was crap. Then I went to the one in Carlsbad and there was a great setup for heavy barbell lifting, and much better equipment.

I wonder how many of these are actually franchises, like Anytime Fitness.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:48 am

DannyP wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm I lifted at one in Palm Desert a couple weeks ago and it wasn't for me. Probably the best equipped area was the conditioning, as you said, that had all of the TRX stuff and a prowler. Geared somewhat to group classes, it seemed.

While there were a number of platforms with bumpers, they were clearly there for Oly lifters, since none were set up along with a rack... There were three racks in the whole place, one of which was a crappy fixed-safety rack with multiple hooks (vs. movable J-hooks). Bars were also pretty crappy, IMO.

I'd certainly lift there if it were the only option, no question, but I found a local, single-location gym that had better setup/equipment.
Hey @DannyP, where and what was the better gym you found?

DannyP

Post by DannyP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Root wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:48 am
DannyP wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm I lifted at one in Palm Desert a couple weeks ago and it wasn't for me. Probably the best equipped area was the conditioning, as you said, that had all of the TRX stuff and a prowler. Geared somewhat to group classes, it seemed.

Hey @DannyP, where and what was the better gym you found?
Hey, my apologies, was away from here for a bit... It's called Power of Fitness, on Monterey near I10. Hope this is still relevant!

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Midwest Strength and Fitness in West Bend WI is really nice. They have 24/7 access and everything for powerlifting or weightlifting, including bands, chains, slingshots, tons of specialty bars (ssb, etc.). It is one of the better equipped power gyms I've been to.

xng

Post by xng » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:35 pm

Santa Barbara, CA: Fisher Strength and Health. Old-time powerlifting gym. Black iron, $10 drop-in, good loaner belts, multiple racks and benches, deadlift jack, some contraption outdoors that I think must be a monolift. Powerlifting trophies and photos all over. Great place, always go there when I pass through.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:56 am

Anybody know of a gym in the Breckenridge/Frisco area in Colorado?

I'm headed there this afternoon for a week with the family and would like to get at least a little lifting in. I'm not bringing much gear, maybe just wristwraps, but I just want to squat and bench and maybe pull a bit so I don't detrain.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:23 am

I live near Vegas and get a lot of questions regarding gyms from people visiting here. I would recommend Iron Addicts, it's close to the strip and has good reviews.

Also, Izzy trains there so you can go pester him if you see him in there.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Turns out that my hotel in Boulder has the best gym I've ever seen in a hotel. By far. This gym is better equipped than my regular commercial gym. If you need a place to stay in Boulder, and want to lift, check out the Rodeway Inn, which used to be the Boulder Broker Inn. They turned the disco room into a fitness center.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:08 am

That's a sweet hotel gym, @omaniphil!!