Aurelius's Workout Shenanigans

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Re: Aurelius's log...not that log you pervs!

Post by aurelius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:26 am

Start of Program
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
First 6 weeks is a planned recomp. Calories at the 2600 per day level.

Doing a 6 day bro split with HIIT. A LOT of volume.

Will update in 6 weeks with a new scan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:53 pm

are you right handed?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm

@mbasic
Forearm is my biggest asymmetry. Everything else was within 'standard'. Whatever that means.

I am quasi ambidextrous. I write with my left hand and throw with my right. I broke my left hand in a motorcycle accident. Doctor told me I could expect 90% of my usage to return in my left hand. My left hand's grip strength noticeably lags behind my right hand's ever since.

I think this 3D scanner stuff is cool. And is useable at $25 a scan. I never liked the tape measurements. Seemed how the measurement was taken could vary results. This will give a benchmark to compare results to.
Last edited by aurelius on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Every thing on your right arm is bigger....in three different measurements.
If you throw with your right hand, its your dominate hand/side.
I'm mean, that checks out (n=1).
Its comforting that it can pick up that minute of a difference is what I was getting at.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:36 pm

$25!! Wow, I expected it would cost more than that. I really like this for a few reasons; easy, accurate, follow up comparisons, can't lie to yourself.
The bodyfat% is still a guesstimate based off measurements, but I suppose it would still be compatible across follow up visits.
I live in the boonies, I'm gonna see if there's anywhere close by that I can get this done.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:04 am

@mbasic Yes. Right arm is bigger. But the bicep measurements were within 'symmetry guidelines'. The forearms were not.

@Ragholmes I was surprised as well. I was told that the body fat calculation was +/- 3%. And that the most accurate BF% measurement is a dexa scan. But for purposes of tracking progress over time, I agree this can be a great tool.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:20 am

I was right, the nearest one to me is 2 hrs away. So that's a no.

ETA: Theres a FIT3D at a Community College gym about half an hours drive from me. Not sure if they let general public use it, I'm gonna call them. I'm also gonna see if I can google whether it is as thorough as the STYKU

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 am

@Ragholmes Someone more nerdy (knowledgeable) on the subject of 3D scanning technology will correct me, but...this seemed like a simple application of the technology. The scanner was about 6-7 feet away from a rotating pad I stood on. Scan took less than 30 seconds. I don't see why another scanner could not produce similar results.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:32 am

From what I can see of the Fit3D one it doesn't give as many measurements as the STYKU does. For example only one waist, one bicep, one thigh measurement.
All the information is there from the scan, I'm wondering if you could customize the output to get the measurements you want. I'd also be interested to see other data like segment lengths, shoulder width etc

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:59 am

Update:

Starting week 2 of the 6 day per week high volume bro split. Typical session has between 7-9 exercises for 4 to 5 sets at 10-15 reps with no greater than 75 second rests. I know as my endurance improves the weight will go up but man...this is humbling.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:41 am

Well the bro split is over. Reflecting on what work and didn't: I moved from Colorado to Texas and started a new job. The transition and lifestyle change was just too much. I didn't stay consistent on my diet and workouts. Next time I want to go on a strict diet and workout 6 times a week I need to have everything else on auto pilot. That being said I ended with an 8 pound weight loss and maintained my lean mass. So C- with the curve.

Next up is getting back to strength training.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:46 am

I will run a DUP: 4 day per week program with a planned deload every 4th week. Google Spreadsheet link below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

VBT: I have a speed4lifts encoder. Will use velocity to regulate my lifts using @Hanley's 20/15 rule. Sets and reps are what I'm aiming for while I dial in the right load with the velocity. Probably take a bit to figure out.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:02 am

First day with the velocity trainer. Notes:
- @Hanley 20/15 rule worked great for the bench performing 6 reps per set. I deloaded from 245 to 225 to meet velocity goals.
- Performing only 2 reps on the deadlift meant I only used the 15 part of the rule.
- had an issue using the linear encoder with OH Press. It was not reading the start of the rep correctly.

Google Spreadsheet link below:

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:30 am

2nd Training Session. I am now entering for every set the average MPV for that each rep.

Going by the 20/15 guideline:

-HB Squat 3x6@315. I was meeting my 80% max MPV goal to end the sets. But my end MPV was .568 which is above the 85% avg MPV .516; I should have done more sets. For Week 2, I will add weight to the lift.
-Bench Press 5x3@275. Both 80% max MPV and 85% avg MPV goals were met.
-Sumo DL 3x8. Neither the 80% max MPV and 85% avg MPV goals were met. Need to go heavier on this lift.

thoughts: Power training (rep range 3 and under) will be difficult to meet the 20/15 guidelines. I also notice that on the first and second power sets are bit wonky. Will see if that continues.
Sumo DL data is all over the map. No noticeable trend line. Maybe because it is an untrained movement?

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:01 am

Where did you decide to workout in Dallas?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:03 am

@JohnHelton I work out a Diesel Fitness in Uptown. Where is your watering hole?

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 am

I have a garage gym, but also work out at work. My company owns Thanksgiving Tower downtown. We massively renovated the building a few years ago. In doing so, we created a great gym on B-1. It had to have squat racks and individual bathrooms. This gym is only for tenants, and even then it is $75/month. Of course, we can give away memberships during lease negotiations.

Check out this video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wRo0tfSszdWPCCPp2

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:16 pm

VBT seems to be going well. Figured out the OH Press data collection issue. And for some reason it didn't measure my last front squat set. Oh well.

Notes:
--Was too light on the front squat (VBT). I have issues with my shoulder mobility and hand position with the front squat. I go heavy and it gets painful.
--I actually dialed in the OH press right on the money. Pretty happy with that.
--skipped a day. Gym was closed at 6 PM on Saturday. Like WTF?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:27 am

Update: Gonna change it up. I'm beat up. Lower back issue, hamstring, knee, and lifter's elbow. Just want to not be beat up and enjoy lifting again. Gonna give Baker's over 40 program a shot. I will pair it with VBT. AND Of course I modified it! I highlighted what I added below. For the possibly 2 people that look at my log, please take a look and provide any feedback you got.

Notes: Switching to only HB Squat to assist with elbow recovery. Dumping sumo, it tweaks my left knee.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:23 am

Week 1 down. I like reducing the frequency of squatting and deadlifting. All of my speed movements are the paused rep variant.
Capture.JPG
Notes:
-Overall feeling better. Still some pain in left knee. Still soreness in elbows.
-Went too light on Day 2. Need to increase the weight on the HB squat and speed deadlift.
-Considering changing the SL deadlift for Sumo on Day 4 to give lower back a break after HB squat and deadlift. Also like the arguments in support of the sumo as a general strength movement.

Link for bar speed data for those that care: