20 rounds of Cindy =
100 chin-ups
200 push-ups
300 squats

MA metcon done 1x chins, 2x push-ups 2x sit-ups =
100 chin-ups
200 push-ups
200 sit-ups

Maybe the rep-scheme / ladder is slowing you down on the MA metcon?
Most likely I'm just really deconditioned and ~15 pounds heavier. But I might try the MA in 5,10,10 blocks just to see. I don't think I can do 200 of those situps just yet. So we'll see. . . .

O ordered a cheap medicine ball so I don't have to sub so many things on the filthy. I'll probably start by doing a Filthy 25. . . .

iamsmu

Re: Murph?

Post by iamsmu » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm

iamsmu wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:09 pm
asdf wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:08 pm
20 rounds of Cindy =
100 chin-ups
200 push-ups
300 squats

MA metcon done 1x chins, 2x push-ups 2x sit-ups =
100 chin-ups
200 push-ups
200 sit-ups

Maybe the rep-scheme / ladder is slowing you down on the MA metcon?
Most likely I'm just really deconditioned and ~15 pounds heavier. But I might try the MA in 5,10,10 blocks just to see. I don't think I can do 200 of those situps just yet. So we'll see. . . .

I ordered a cheap medicine ball so I don't have to sub so many things on the filthy. I'll probably start by doing a Filthy 25. . . .
I did the equivalent of one round, so 10 sets of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, and 10 arm swing situps. I did it in 13:20, a minute faster than the same number last Wednesday, but I think that's just because I'm slowly getting some conditioning back.

Those damn situps are killers. I could easily to 15 air squats in less time with less effort than 10 of those. . . . This is going to take a while. I'll chip away at it and alternate in some other workouts.

I'm also very deconditioned. When I did that murph, I was running hill sprints a couple times a week and doing other conditioning.

In any case, I really like doing these metcons. I feel like shit right after, but then I feel great about 10 minutes later. They are also pretty fun.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:58 pm

iamsmu wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm I did the equivalent of one round, so 10 sets of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, and 10 arm swing situps. I did it in 13:20
That's a good pace.

I tried another version today. I used my favorite movements and ratios -- 1x chins, 1x dips, 2x situps -- but tried the "four downhills" rep scheme.

10, 8, 6, 4, 2
8, 6, 4, 2
10, 8, 6, 4, 2
8, 6, 4, 2

Got it done in 26:20, but I did not like it. The rhythm was off.

My favorite remains the original double-hill rollercoaster. Second choice would be rounds of fixed reps like you did today.
iamsmu wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm In any case, I really like doing these metcons. I feel like shit right after, but then I feel great about 10 minutes later. They are also pretty fun.
Yeah man, metcons are fun. It's a big world out there. Short and heavy. Long and slow. Single movement. Couplets. Lots of things to try...

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:48 pm

asdf wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:01 pm
iamsmu wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:14 pm
asdf wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:36 pm Filthy Fifty.
I'm interested in this one. Sounds miserable. I can get a cheap 1 pood kettle bell on Titan for $42 shipped. They also have cheap 20# slam balls and leather medicine wall balls. (I'm not sure which would be better.) I don't have a 10' wall. I can hit a rafter instead. . . . But I have no way to do back extensions. I guess I could sub in RDLs with just the bar or something. . . . Double unders will be a problem. I have a rope, just can't really do them. Hmmm. I'll practice.
Do you have dumbbells? You can use one for swings, and do db thrusters for wall balls. Standing good mornings are a common sub for back extensions. And just do single-unders rather than double. Double the reps if you feel bad about singles being "easy." :D
Should the standing good mornings be done with an empty bar?

I have a med ball coming tomorrow. If it comes in time, I'll try the workout. . . . I got a 35# kettlebell yesterday. (I assume the f50 has you do the swings to overhead.) I'll do singe unders for now. The burpees look like death at the end. . .

I've seen some absurd ~15 min. times posted for this workout. I looked at a couple videos and the people weren't doing the jumping pull ups full rom and they weren't even coming close on the knees to elbows. I've done those strict and they might be harder than toes to bar and they are more difficult to kip to full height.

I'm going to aim for 35 minutes for a first run. I'd be happy to achieve that.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:02 pm

iamsmu wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:48 pm Should the standing good mornings be done with an empty bar?
(I assume the f50 has you do the swings to overhead.)
I've seen some absurd ~15 min. times posted for this workout. I looked at a couple videos and the people weren't doing the jumping pull ups full rom and they weren't even coming close on the knees to elbows. I've done those strict and they might be harder than toes to bar and they are more difficult to kip to full height.
I'm going to aim for 35 minutes for a first run. I'd be happy to achieve that.
Be careful on the box jumps. I always step down, rather than jumping down and rebounding. Yeah, it slows me down. Better than blowing out an Achilles!

I'd suggest you do the standing good mornings with no weight your first time through.

Yes, CrossFit does swings overhead, "American" style, but I typically do them to about 45-degrees above horizontal. So, kinda halfway between Russian and American. If you're not accustomed to doing them, I'd go lower, not higher. Braking the swing at the top can be hard on your shoulders.

15 minutes is probably bullshit. That's averaging less than 2 seconds per rep, not accounting for transitions.

People have to chose their own standards on these movements and live with themselves. I tend to have high standards for myself. Certainly consistent standards. But I don't really care what others do.

35 minutes is a reasonable goal. Start slow. You can always decide to go faster if you feel really good halfway through. Good luck!

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Checking in on the x-up ladder metcon:
The variant that is working for me is
Chin-up x1, Sit-up x2, Push-up x3 because I’m at least 3x better at push-iOS then chin-ups
10 minute AMRAP ladder
I got 1,2,3,2,1,2,3 in 9:47
Thanks again @asdf for the idea and the kick in the pants to do it!

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:12 pm

Good work! @augeleven

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:10 pm

asdf wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:02 pm
35 minutes is a reasonable goal. Start slow. You can always decide to go faster if you feel really good halfway through. Good luck!
Sadly that took 36 minutes. The burpees killed me.

There more shoulder work in that than I anticipated. The KB swings and wall balls were new to me.

I think I broke or severely dislocated my right little finger on the first exercise. I slipped on the box jumps and jammed my hand into a brick wall. . . .

In any case, that's an evil work out. I'll be able to do it faster. I had to break up most everything except the easy stuff.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:50 pm

I'm looking to try Heavy Fran.

https://wodwell.com/wod/heavy-fran/

Of course, Froning does it in less than 6 minutes. I'm aiming for 12 15 min. my first run.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:18 pm

iamsmu wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:50 pm I'm looking to try Heavy Fran.
:shock:

Are you going to use 135/45? At least it's 15-12-9, rather than 21-15-9.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:56 pm

asdf wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:18 pm

I'll try that. Though I might quickly learn that it's not doable. Ya, 15_12_9. No way the normal Fran rep scheme would be doable. . .

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:41 pm

iamsmu wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:56 pm
asdf wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:18 pm

I'll try that. Though I might quickly learn that it's not doable. Ya, 15_12_9. No way the normal Fran rep scheme would be doable. . .
The goal was 12 min. I managed it in 11:12, so not quite twice Froning's time :) Those thrusters are just awful. The take all my wind. The pull ups are like rest after those. . . I can cut at least 2 minutes off this quickly. I'll aim for 9 min. next time.

asdf

Post by asdf » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:10 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:41 pm I managed it in 11:12
Impressive! No way I could do that Rx'd.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:38 pm

asdf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:10 pm
iamsmu wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:41 pm I managed it in 11:12
Impressive! No way I could do that Rx'd.
Is it the pull ups? I noticed that Froning and crew were struggling with the pull ups. Froning had to shake out his arms and break the last nine up into something like 3,2,2,1,1. They had less rest than I took, but I did the last 9 unbroken. (I broke up the first two sets to avoid death by going to failure. . . .) But I couldn't come close to doing the thruster sets unbroken. I re-watched the video in awe. I wonder if they just don't do that many strict weighted pull ups.

(I also used a dip belt attached to a loading pin. That's way more comfortable than using a barbell. Maybe it's easier. I dunno.)

I think I should do some strict normal Frans to build up some conditioning. I can't really kip. My pull up bar isn't quite high enough. And I can do that many strict pull ups. But the thrusters!

asdf

Post by asdf » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:02 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:38 pm Is it the pull ups?
The pull-ups would be hard, but high-rep 135# thrusters would kill me. That's getting close to my bodyweight, haha.

hoyeahtop

Post by hoyeahtop » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:00 am

Is this essentially what CrossFit is? Or is there more to the normal programming than this.

Seems quite fun doing these timed WODs as a test of both strength and conditioning, and mental toughness. The Murph especially!

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:54 am

hoyeahtop wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:00 am Is this essentially what CrossFit is? Or is there more to the normal programming than this.
I've never seen a good definition of CrossFit. CrossFit headquarters advocates training 3 days on, 1 day off, and they post a workout on their website every training day. That version of CrossFit is often referred to as "mainpage programming." That programming will appear to be essentially random, especially to an outsider. Here's CrossFit's general programming advice from 2002:
  • Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast.
  • Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense.
  • Regularly learn and play new sports
"What is Fitness?" from 2002 describes the CrossFit approach as well as anything. See page 9 in particular for their programming rationale.

CrossFit competitors follow far more structured programs, obviously.

CrossFit affiliates are free to program however they want. They're not franchises and so maintain considerable autonomy. It's hard to know what's trending in affiliates because there more than 10,000 of them worldwide. But a common class structure that many follow is:

Warm-up
Skill work
Strength work
Metcon

The better affiliates have plans to progress clients in each of those areas.
hoyeahtop wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:00 am Seems quite fun doing these timed WODs as a test of both strength and conditioning, and mental toughness. The Murph especially!
I really enjoy metcons. Every once in a while I do new ones, but mostly I just cycle through a dozen or so that I like.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:51 am

hoyeahtop wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:00 am Is this essentially what CrossFit is? Or is there more to the normal programming than this.

Seems quite fun doing these timed WODs as a test of both strength and conditioning, and mental toughness. The Murph especially!
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CF ... gGuide.pdf

" “constantly varied, high-intensity functional movement.” This is our prescription. Functional movements are universal motor recruitment patterns;
they are performed in a wave of contraction from core to extremity; and they are compound movements—i.e., they are multi-joint. They are natural, effective, and efficient locomotors of body and external objects. But no aspect of functional movements is more important than their capacity to move large loads over long distances, and to do so quickly ... We believe that preparation for random physical challenges—i.e., unknown and unknowable events—is at odds with fixed, predictable, and routine regimens."

I highly recommend reading the first third of that document. It's the story CrossFit tell's about itself, and is interesting. You'll have to decide on your own if the programming the document recommends (and the WODs) is an optimal/good/at-least-not-terrible/actively-terrible way of achieving the goals from the first third of the document.

EDIT: I'm sure it's a ton of fun, if CrossFit had been a popular thing when I was 15-20 I woulda been all over it.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:26 pm

Greg Glassman, founder of CrossFit wrote: “constantly varied, high-intensity functional movement.”
Functional movements are universal motor recruitment patterns; they are performed in a wave of contraction from core to extremity; and they are compound movements—i.e., they are multi-joint. They are natural, effective, and efficient locomotors of body and external objects. But no aspect of functional movements is more important than their capacity to move large loads over long distances, and to do so quickly ...
And yet CrossFit programs so many exercises that don't fit those descriptions: double-unders, handstand walks, walking lunges, GHD sit-ups, pistols...
Greg Glassman, founder of CrossFit wrote:We believe that preparation for random physical challenges—i.e., unknown and unknowable events—is at odds with fixed, predictable, and routine regimens."
As Greg Everett said more than a decade ago:

"Being prepared for any random task is not the same thing as preparing randomly for any task. The importance of this point cannot be overstated."

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:34 pm

@iamsmu

Saw in your training log that you were supersetting deadlifts and headstand pushups. Have you ever tried Dianne?

21-15-9 reps of:
225 pound Deadlift
Handstand push-ups