Paella

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Root
Grillmaster

Paella

Post by Root » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:05 pm

It's almost the kneecap of meals, and probably my next culinary conquest. On the grill, obviously.

Anybody make it? Anybody own a pan they like? Anybody have an opinion on carbon steel pans in general? Tips? Stories?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Paella

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:08 am

Root wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:05 pm It's almost the kneecap of meals
In that it almost always hurts, frequently explodes, and only sometimes gets you where you want to go?

My wife loves it, but I honestly can't remember what it even is without looking it up.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:00 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:08 am
Root wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:05 pm It's almost the kneecap of meals
In that it almost always hurts, frequently explodes, and only sometimes gets you where you want to go?
In that it's one letter away from "patella."
Allentown wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:08 am My wife loves it, but I honestly can't remember what it even is without looking it up.
It's various meats and sausage and seafood and rice cooked in saffron infused chicken broth on a large flat pan so the rice gets brown and crusty on the bottom and it's oh so good.

heyitsme

Post by heyitsme » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:50 am

I've done Paella a couple of times with the family and it's absolutely delicious. The only issue I can have with it is that it can be really greasy if not done properly. I usually start by cooking down some cured chorizo and use the oil rendered from that to cook the rest of the ingredients, though I'd probably pour some of it off. Can't really give any recommendation on equipment. We have a standard paella Pan, I think the more import piece to have is the right burner so the pan gets heated evenly. I don't know how it'll work on the grill, but IMO, if you're not a n00b at cooking it's a very forgiving dish. Oh and I highly recommend using fresh mussles (never the canned stuff). Also favour using fish broth over vegetable or chicken broth. Not sure if there's a right one.