Books! The good Reads thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

chrisd

Re: Books! The good Reads thread

Post by chrisd » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am

Idlehands wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:22 pm
cwd wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:26 am I also had to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance twice to "get" it.
Same with Goedel, Escher, Bach.

Both were worth the effort.
Isn't godel esher and bach just on the halting problem? or was that goedels theorum.
I think i've read one or both.
Pretty much about Goedel's incompleteness theorem, presented brilliantly. The exploding phonographs and intelligent ant hill were highlights for me.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:50 am

I guess I need to reread GEB again, I thought it was mostly about recursion, basic information theory, Lewis Caroll, Platonism, and...

Definitely need to read it again.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:22 am

cwd wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:50 am I guess I need to reread GEB again, I thought it was mostly about recursion, basic information theory, Lewis Caroll, Platonism, and...

Definitely need to read it again.
It's possible. I might have confused it with Goedels theorem. I'll look on my book case here at some point to confirm.

BootyBeech

Post by BootyBeech » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 pm

GlasgowJock wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:15 am
BootyBeech wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:05 pm I've been reading a fair bit of Warhammer 40,000 books recently. The Horus Heresy is definitely a good place to start but whoever mapped that plot out went overboard by 10,000,000%. There are over 40 books in the series now. Start with Horus Rising, False Gods and then Galaxy in Flames. Maybe The First Heretic after that.
Ah a fellow Warhammer 40k fan :D Anything by Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden or Graham McNeill is a solid bet. Would thoroughly recommend the Eisenhorn trilogy & the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

Joe Haldeman's The Forever War however my top pick for military sci-fi.

Conn Iggulden does excellent period fiction (especially the Gladiator series) with Simon Scarrow, Clive Cussler & Bernard Cornwell doing decent lightweight stuff.

I've read bits and pieces of what you mention. Eisonhorn is really good. Some of the WH40K audio books are good to listen to as well and then others are like listening to pantomines.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 am

DirtyRed -- dunno if you read books, but if you do, Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia, also anything by John Ringo. You're welcome.

Rest of you -- I don't read the above books. I'm much too nice and civilized to enjoy such trashy violence.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am

Anyone into the Steven Erikson "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series? Also the related Ian Cameron Esslemont "Novels of the Malazan Empire" (somewhat less wordy, somewhat more gritty). These had the same effect on me (in my 40s), that "Lord of the Rings" and "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" had on me in my youth. Which is to say, voracious eyeball word devouring. If anyone really loves paper and wants to stump for postage, I'd mail the box I have.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:10 am

I just realized I finished my last book last week and didn't bring a new one today. Worst day ever.

perman

Post by perman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 am

Shane wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am Anyone into the Steven Erikson "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series? Also the related Ian Cameron Esslemont "Novels of the Malazan Empire" (somewhat less wordy, somewhat more gritty). These had the same effect on me (in my 40s), that "Lord of the Rings" and "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" had on me in my youth. Which is to say, voracious eyeball word devouring. If anyone really loves paper and wants to stump for postage, I'd mail the box I have.
I've actually read the first 2 Malazan books and loved them, but I've fallen off twice. First time after I finished the first one, and I had to re-read the first one to read the second one. Then I fell off again after the second one.

This series seems like the definition of acquired taste to me, which is my problem with it too. It was like work to read these books. The pay-off was huge though, but there was no casualness about reading these, it was like a historical treatise about a fantasy world. The ambition of these books is very impressive, the author doesn't give you any freebies.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm

perman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 am
Shane wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am Anyone into the Steven Erikson "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series? Also the related Ian Cameron Esslemont "Novels of the Malazan Empire" (somewhat less wordy, somewhat more gritty). These had the same effect on me (in my 40s), that "Lord of the Rings" and "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" had on me in my youth. Which is to say, voracious eyeball word devouring. If anyone really loves paper and wants to stump for postage, I'd mail the box I have.
I've actually read the first 2 Malazan books and loved them, but I've fallen off twice. First time after I finished the first one, and I had to re-read the first one to read the second one. Then I fell off again after the second one.

This series seems like the definition of acquired taste to me, which is my problem with it too. It was like work to read these books. The pay-off was huge though, but there was no casualness about reading these, it was like a historical treatise about a fantasy world. The ambition of these books is very impressive, the author doesn't give you any freebies.
Yeah you're right, unless you're in the zone for them, they can be impenetrable. I read each as it was published, so there was some serious skimming of the previous books so I could recall everything that'd gone down. I really liked the mix of exposition and sword-opera action involving high-falutin' types combined with a lot of conversations in the trenches between the grunts (albeit important characters). I still don't know why half the shit that happened, happened, but it was a wild ride reading about it. I'm into the Kharkanas Trilogy now, set much earlier in time (and possibly on a different world). Features several characters from the Malazan books. That's the benefit of immortal players. Huge goddamn story arcs.

tersh

Post by tersh » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 pm

Recent reads have been The Lathe of Heaven (le Guin is a damn genius) and The Gone Away World, by Nick Harkaway, which I enjoyed a fair bit (the stuff about internal style martial arts is fun.

Have been picking up and putting down Dhalgren, by Samuel Delany, but not because it's bad, it's just a bit dense and requires attention.

Recent re-reads have been the Southern Reach Trilogy, and Moby Dick. Which is a book I recommend reading annually.

Current non-fiction I'm reading is Ignorance: How it Drives Science. In part because I'm thinking of teaching a class on the importance and ignorance and uncertainty in urban planning next summer.

perman

Post by perman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 am

Shane wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm Yeah you're right, unless you're in the zone for them, they can be impenetrable. I read each as it was published, so there was some serious skimming of the previous books so I could recall everything that'd gone down. I really liked the mix of exposition and sword-opera action involving high-falutin' types combined with a lot of conversations in the trenches between the grunts (albeit important characters). I still don't know why half the shit that happened, happened, but it was a wild ride reading about it. I'm into the Kharkanas Trilogy now, set much earlier in time (and possibly on a different world). Features several characters from the Malazan books. That's the benefit of immortal players. Huge goddamn story arcs.
Wheel of time is more my thing, but I can't argue with the hardcore fantasy folks who claim Malazan is "better", even though I like Wheel of time more cause it's far more accessible. Malazan seems like fantasy Tolstoy to me (not that I've read Tolstoy, but I know the cliches). I loved everything to do with Kruppe though, kind of want to start again just cause he was like the coolest fantasy character ever.

Eugene

Post by Eugene » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:35 am

Mostly low-brow fiction ITT. I do enough 'required reading' every day not to bother with fiction anymore but I might attempt something more serious in another language to multiply my returns.
tersh wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 pm Moby Dick. Which is a book I recommend reading annually.
Tertius I am concerned that you read Moby Dick per annum, unremittingly. Have you read Proust?

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 am

perman wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 am Wheel of time is more my thing, but I can't argue with the hardcore fantasy folks who claim Malazan is "better", even though I like Wheel of time more cause it's far more accessible. Malazan seems like fantasy Tolstoy to me (not that I've read Tolstoy, but I know the cliches). I loved everything to do with Kruppe though, kind of want to start again just cause he was like the coolest fantasy character ever.
I loved several installments of Wheel of Time. But then I started to get a bad feel about the male female dynamic that drove it. He could not write a convincing woman, and from memory ended up just creating a lot of clonely, shallow, and pretty bitchy, cardboard cutouts. And I just couldn't read the word "upbraid" one more time.

perman

Post by perman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:48 am

Shane wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 am
perman wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 am Wheel of time is more my thing, but I can't argue with the hardcore fantasy folks who claim Malazan is "better", even though I like Wheel of time more cause it's far more accessible. Malazan seems like fantasy Tolstoy to me (not that I've read Tolstoy, but I know the cliches). I loved everything to do with Kruppe though, kind of want to start again just cause he was like the coolest fantasy character ever.
I loved several installments of Wheel of Time. But then I started to get a bad feel about the male female dynamic that drove it. He could not write a convincing woman, and from memory ended up just creating a lot of clonely, shallow, and pretty bitchy, cardboard cutouts. And I just couldn't read the word "upbraid" one more time.
The normal criticism against WoT for sure, sniff. It didn't bother me as much as it did others, but the books that more heavily featured Fayle/Elayne/Egwene/Aes Sedai threads were definitely worse, but I think those parts are easily skimmed through without much lost. Thought the last 4 books were all good though, and the first 6 books are too. It's books 7-10 that just slow down immensely and focus on the annoying side-characters.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:12 am

perman wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 am
Shane wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm Yeah you're right, unless you're in the zone for them, they can be impenetrable. I read each as it was published, so there was some serious skimming of the previous books so I could recall everything that'd gone down. I really liked the mix of exposition and sword-opera action involving high-falutin' types combined with a lot of conversations in the trenches between the grunts (albeit important characters). I still don't know why half the shit that happened, happened, but it was a wild ride reading about it. I'm into the Kharkanas Trilogy now, set much earlier in time (and possibly on a different world). Features several characters from the Malazan books. That's the benefit of immortal players. Huge goddamn story arcs.
Wheel of time is more my thing, but I can't argue with the hardcore fantasy folks who claim Malazan is "better", even though I like Wheel of time more cause it's far more accessible. Malazan seems like fantasy Tolstoy to me (not that I've read Tolstoy, but I know the cliches). I loved everything to do with Kruppe though, kind of want to start again just cause he was like the coolest fantasy character ever.
Shit. i downloaded malazan quite a while ago. I never started it cause it's a ton of goddamned books.

Still waiting for more Dresdon books. Those please me.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:36 am

Shane wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 am I loved several installments of Wheel of Time. But then I started to get a bad feel about the male female dynamic that drove it. He could not write a convincing woman, and from memory ended up just creating a lot of clonely, shallow, and pretty bitchy, cardboard cutouts. And I just couldn't read the word "upbraid" one more time.
This reminds me of Gene Wolfe. I was getting back into fantasy-type stuff, and either someone on the other forum or Amazon recommended it.
tersh wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 pm Moby Dick. Which is a book I recommend reading annually.
I usually read 30,000 Leagues annually. I haven't read it yet this year. I should get on that.

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:59 am

I read the first 3-4 Wheel of Time novels as they first came out, then realized it wasn't going anywhere I cared about, and I was tired of the characters.
My wife got several books further before tuning out.

Tersh, Gone Away World looks pretty neat, I'll see if my library has it. The publisher has overpriced the e-book version, so I probably won't buy it.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:08 am

Anybody ever read Guy Gavriel Kay? His Fionavar Tapestry was pretty good - a more highbrow Tolkien meets Arthurian legend type of series. Kay's stand alone fantasy books are incredible as well. Tigana and A Song For Arbonne are incredible.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:38 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:08 am Anybody ever read Guy Gavriel Kay? His Fionavar Tapestry was pretty good - a more highbrow Tolkien meets Arthurian legend type of series. Kay's stand alone fantasy books are incredible as well. Tigana and A Song For Arbonne are incredible.
Haven't read Song for Arbonne, but really enjoyed the other two. I seem to read Tigana once a decade.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 am

tersh wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 pm Recent re-reads have been the Southern Reach Trilogy,
Thought the Souther Reach trilogy was phenomenal. Never seen ecology, spies, the occult, and sea monsters better combined.