Books! The good Reads thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

JonA

Re: Books! The good Reads thread

Post by JonA » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:21 am
5hout wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:44 pm Fricking having to actually work at work recently, very unreasonable!
This. Last week, 4/5 days I had people schedule meeting(s) between 11 and 1. For two of them, the entire days of everyone involved was free. I tried to reschedule the first time and they declined the new time. WTF.
LPT:. Block out all the time on your calendar, except for when meetings are acceptible..

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:14 pm

JonA wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:07 pm LPT:. Block out all the time on your calendar, except for when meetings are acceptible..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:50 am

5hout wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:44 pm Also, I am really enjoying that they don't have (yet at least) warp drive, and things like semi-proper orbital dynamics are referenced and respected. Going to try very hard to carve out some space tomorrow and get a good chunk down. Fricking having to actually work at work recently, very unreasonable!
I've read a couple sci-fi series recently where everything is plot-driven rather than based on a set of theory-based technologies. Systems function or fail based on the needs of dramatic tension, distances are opened and closed at the needs of the action rather than determining it, physics is whatever you need it to be to support a given plot point, etc. It's such sloppy writing.

Unrelated - but speaking of sloppy writing - I just started Dreyer's English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style. Although I'm going to continue to doublespace after periods I'm enjoying it.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:09 am

brkriete wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:50 am
I've read a couple sci-fi series recently where everything is plot-driven rather than based on a set of theory-based technologies. Systems function or fail based on the needs of dramatic tension, distances are opened and closed at the needs of the action rather than determining it, physics is whatever you need it to be to support a given plot point, etc. It's such sloppy writing.
It's all about consistency and tempo. I'd prefer a consistent level of hand waving, I'll tolerate a loosening of the hand waving in the denouement, but it's gotta tighten up after. I really like the Altered Carbon books, but am worried that if there ever is Altered Carbon 4 it's going to jump the hand waving shark and go wayyyy off the rails.

So far, 350 pages in, The Expanse series feels like Altered Carbon-Lite. Not necessarily a bad thing, if someone asked me for Sci-Fi to read, but wasn't a big Sci-Fi fan, I'd be more likely to tentatively recommend The Expanse or Old Man's War (only the first book) over Altered Carbon or the Mars Trilogy.

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:29 am

brkriete wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:50 am I've read a couple sci-fi series recently where everything is plot-driven rather than based on a set of theory-based technologies. Systems function or fail based on the needs of dramatic tension, distances are opened and closed at the needs of the action rather than determining it, physics is whatever you need it to be to support a given plot point, etc. It's such sloppy writing.
Heh. That's kinda the opposite of Stephenson's Seveneves. After I read that, I felt like I could survive for generations in space, but couldn't careless about the plot or characters.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:36 am

JonA wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:29 am Heh. That's kinda the opposite of Stephenson's Seveneves. After I read that, I felt like I could survive for generations in space, but couldn't careless about the plot or characters.
Pro-tip. Don't go full Lord of the Flies, and you might make it out alive. I loved Seveneves. But dammit, that ending is one of the worst endings I've ever read in a book.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 pm

Expanse book 2 very good. Last third I think they found their legs. Excited to start book 3 tomorrow.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:48 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:36 am
JonA wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:29 am Heh. That's kinda the opposite of Stephenson's Seveneves. After I read that, I felt like I could survive for generations in space, but couldn't careless about the plot or characters.
Pro-tip. Don't go full Lord of the Flies, and you might make it out alive. I loved Seveneves. But dammit, that ending is one of the worst endings I've ever read in a book.
ending?
i thought it was just a book on orbital mechanics. with some character backgrounds and world building. And also he Neil Degrasse Tyson archetype included.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Idlehands wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:48 am
ending?
i thought it was just a book on orbital mechanics. with some character backgrounds and world building. And also he Neil Degrasse Tyson archetype included.
What did you not like about the ending?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 am

To try and save some money I thought I would give renting library books on my wife's Kindle a try. Couldn't get CloudLibrary to download, couldn't even find it in the app store. Tried going right to the library's web page and download a book, got asked for my PIN, gave up. Will try again tomorrow or something.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:41 am

hector wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:40 pm
ending?
There wasn't one. I haven't read it in a couple of years, but as I recall, the band of 'spacemen' get out of their predicament with the Diggers, and then they meet a Submariner, and then it just... stops. There was no narrative conclusion of any sort at all.

JonA

Post by JonA » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:01 am

omaniphil wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:41 am
There wasn't one. I haven't read it in a couple of years, but as I recall, the band of 'spacemen' get out of their predicament with the Diggers, and then they meet a Submariner, and then it just... stops. There was no narrative conclusion of any sort at all.
It reminded me of that earthlike planet that Arthur visited in Mostly Harmless (last book of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) where all the books just ended after a specific number of words, regardless of where the story was at.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 am

ending?
felt like it just kinda petered out. like no real climax and resolution just meh

hector

Post by hector » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 pm

omaniphil wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:41 am
ending?
I felt like the ending was just that the humans survived. The submariners and cave dwellers were more of an epilogue.

jake241983

Post by jake241983 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:53 pm

I started the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson last week. I'm a little ways into book two and enjoying the series so far.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:30 pm

Took a break from the Expanse and read "The Old Navy" Autobiography by Rear Admiral Daniel Mannix, it's good. The writing is crisp and surprisingly modern in style. He entered the Naval College in 1897, fought in the Spanish American War, laid mines in WW1 and served for while after WW1. It's quite engaging, and an interesting window into a world that's gone by. If you are interested in more human-interest military history I'd recommend it.

I just bought "Sniping in France" for 1 dollar on the kindle, and am going to read that next before going back to the Expanse. EDIT: Read it, Kindle edition is (I think) missing the appendices, so is basically 150 pages of random stories and the history of British sniping. Interesting and contains some funny anecdotes, but I was hoping for a little more technical content as well.
Last edited by 5hout on Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:03 am

I've been listening to Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. He's got a great narration voice, and I've learned a lot about the subject. I'm surprised at how weak the Norse gods are. I never knew much about the details, just the names and a bit of their stories here and there.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:07 am

Picked up Last Emperorox. Wanna finish that series. I picked up the Axis in the Spin trilogy but can't quite get into it. Also picked up Footfall but it's wildly sexist and reads very dated and that was a bit annoying. Mostly having trouble with the focus reading lately. Can't imagine why !

hector

Post by hector » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:43 pm

hsilman wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:03 am I've been listening to Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. He's got a great narration voice, and I've learned a lot about the subject. I'm surprised at how weak the Norse gods are. I never knew much about the details, just the names and a bit of their stories here and there.
I loved this book so much! Agree, Gaiman's oration is outstanding.

When the one God was killed by the two mortals who just got him drunk and drained his blood I was surprised at their weakness as well. He came back to life though, so there's a resilience there that partlybmakes up for lack of strength.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Read books 1 and 2 of Brian Mcclellan's Valkyrie Collections series. It's not as good as Powder Mage, but it's very readable and entertaining. It's basically mediocre Dresden Files, about as good as bottom third Dresden Files book. I will 100% read book 3 when it comes out. Trying to read book 6 of the Craft Sequence (Max Gladstone) before going to Book 4 Expanse.