Step up to the bar...

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Step up to the bar...

Post by mgil » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:28 pm

...the thread about bars that is!

Photos?

Feedback?

Questions?

Post them here!

I will update later with photos of what I have and also some feedback on what I've used.

We can also cross-link to things like Cody's forthcoming review here.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Step up to the bar...

Post by Manveer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:42 pm

OPB>*
/thread

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:44 pm

I have the B&R v1.0 and the 45-lb bare steel Ohio Power Bar (OPB).

I use the OPB 99% of the time and love it. The knurling is aggressive, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I wouldn't use it for front squats. Great power bar. For $250 in bare steel it's a bargain.

The B&R v1.0 is discontinued now, but I find that it spins too freely and that makes it suck for heavy bench work. From what I understand the B&R 2.0 is a good all-rounder if you want to do front squats and the occasional fast lift.

I have the Black Widow SSB as well. Nice bar and a good option for squat assistance work IMO.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:31 pm

wants
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-olympic-wl-bar

wants even more
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-olym ... less-steel

might get
https://americanbarbell.com/products/am ... aining-bar

Have B&R 2.0, nothing exciting here. Using it for all the fast lifts. I'm not fast enough for it to matter, I think, but the knurling is rough for that much pulling (also pussy hands), and it's really rattly upon dropping. I've read the American Barbell bar above is quieter due to composite bushings. And I think the hard chrome instead of the raw stainless might be easier to on my hands to train with.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 pm

Manveer wrote:Eleiko >*
/thread
ftfy

More seriously though, I do quite like the Ohio Power Bar. Good all-around PL bar for a solid price. If I could though, I would get an Eleiko powerlifting bar.

My old gym has Rogue weightlifting bars, both the mens' and womens'. They're nice, but I don't do enough fast lifts for it to matter. They're terrible for benching because the weights spin freely. 20 kg bar is for squats and deadlifts, at least the weights I'm working with.

Current gym has mens' Rogue WL bars, the Rogue Bella bar, B&R 1.0, and Rogue Ohio bar (not OPB). None of these bars are good for benching (the weights spin a lot), but they're fine for squats. There's also a Texas deadlift bar, but I haven't tried it yet.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 am

Manveer wrote:OPB>*
/thread
+1. I mean, $250. Come on.

I have the Rogue Power Bar, sort of the precursor to the OPB. Black zinc. Want on OPB.

Last week I wrote up a big "home gym" post, with some of the collected wisdom for purchases, platform building, equipment, etc. The goal was to update it with feedback (for the first 5 days, or via mod) to create the ultimate Garage Gym thread. Then I closed the file without saving it.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 am

No pics yet, mainly because I'm a tease.

Bars I own:

Rogue Ohio Power Bar

Mine is coated. If I could do it over again, I'd go with bare steel. Otherwise, this is a good bar and I use it for OHP, BP, BS, and FS. Knurling is aggressive, but I think the coating makes it less sticky than it should be. For that reason, I'd advise against the coating.

Rogue Bella 2.0 Bar

I don't use this much. Sometimes I let my daughter use it. I bought it for my wife, but it sits idle for months on end. Otherwise, it's a quality bar considering it gets used 3-4 times a year.

Rogue B&R Bar

I bought mine as soon as it was announced. I think mine came from the second batch, whatever that is worth. I really like this bar for pulling. It's very grippy without having the aggressive knurl of the OPB. I don't do cleans, so I don't really care about the spin of the sleeves, but they do spin better than the OPB.

Chinese Beater Bar I Got From Sports Authority circa 2001

It sucks. A lot. But it's great for rack pulls. Everyone should have one for rack pulls.

Bars I've used (of note):

American Barbell (GPI) stainless steel barbell

Knurl is nearly as good as the B&R 2.0 but the bar is stainless, hence less maintenance. It was at a gym I would go to often, and I would seek it out if available.

Texas Power Bar (Mac)

Great bar. Was probably 20 years old, but good spin and bite. Buy one if you find one in good shape.

Texas Power Bar (Buddy)

Good bar. I liked the feel of the knurl better than my OPB, but the coating makes it an off comparison.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:22 am

I have a B&R 2.0 in bare steel and I love it. Very grippy, no need for more aggressive knurling.

Also have a beater CAP bar that the GF uses when she lifts with me. She hasn't complained. Not about the bar anyway.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 am

Manveer wrote:OPB>*
/thread
#agree

strega

Post by strega » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:12 am

Does anyone have the specs on the Burgener and Rippetoe Bar? Seems like it's no longer carried by Rogue. I own the bar but have small hands and would like to pick up a second bar that's a bit thinner. Any recommendations?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:16 am

strega wrote:Does anyone have the specs on the Burgener and Rippetoe Bar? Seems like it's no longer carried by Rogue. I own the bar but have small hands and would like to pick up a second bar that's a bit thinner. Any recommendations?
https://www.garage-gyms.com/weightlifti ... -rippetoe/
Bar Weight: 20 kg / 15 kg (women’s)
Shaft Diameter: 29 mm / 25 mm (women’s)
Knurling Marks: Dual Olympic & Power
Center Knurling: present / not present on women’s
Knurl Bite: Medium
Rotation Mechanism: Sintered Bushings
Sleeve Attachment: End Cap
Shaft / Sleeve Coating: Bare Steel
Tensile Strength: 205,000 PSI / 195,000 PSI (women’s)
Manufactured by York Barbell
Price $295 / $285 (women’s)
You could get a hybrid bar like the Ohio (not Ohio Power) Bar.

strega

Post by strega » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:50 am

Manveer wrote:You could get a hybrid bar like the Ohio (not Ohio Power) Bar.
Thanks for finding the info! No wonder I can barely hold on to the thing 29 mm, adjusted for baby hands is 32 mm for normal humans.
The Ohio bar is 28.5, any reason I would not go for a regular 28mm or the Ohio DL bar that's 27mm?
I guess in the larger scheme of things I'm not moving enough weight for it to matter.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:53 am

I guess if you only want to use it for deadlifts, go ahead and get a 27mm deadlift bar. You wouldn't want to use that for anything else, though.

If you have no plans to compete and don't care as much about grip strength, you can just use straps 100% of the time too.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:23 am

mgil wrote: Chinese Beater Bar I Got From Sports Authority circa 2001

It sucks. A lot. But it's great for rack pulls. Everyone should have one for rack pulls.
I used to use my crappy 35# chrome bar for rack pulls, but I'm too scared it's going to snap and slice my neck open.

Headline- "Basement lifting bro decapitated: Neckbeard no match for chinese steel"

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 am

Manveer wrote:I guess if you only want to use it for deadlifts, go ahead and get a 27mm deadlift bar. You wouldn't want to use that for anything else, though.
Is this because of bar whip? What sort of weights do you need to be handling for this to become an issue? It seems that if your hands are smaller, tightly gripping an appropriately smaller bar would be more secure - as long as there's no whip.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:51 am

cgeorg wrote:
Manveer wrote:I guess if you only want to use it for deadlifts, go ahead and get a 27mm deadlift bar. You wouldn't want to use that for anything else, though.
Is this because of bar whip? What sort of weights do you need to be handling for this to become an issue? It seems that if your hands are smaller, tightly gripping an appropriately smaller bar would be more secure - as long as there's no whip.
Yeah, whip.

I would hate to squat even 315 with a deadlift bar. Never tried it. I imagine the whip would be terrible. I remember squatting 350 with a bar loaded end to end with bumpers during warmups at a meet. Not fun. Maybe I am more sensitive than most to bar whip.

Benching, maybe most people don't use enough weight for it to matter... but still seems a bit dangerous to have bar whip there.

Jay870

Post by Jay870 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm

I have a Texas Power Bar (circa ~2006) that I like a lot, though honestly I don't have much to compare it to besides the ubiquitous chrome POS that comes with the sporting good store weight sets.

strega

Post by strega » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Manveer wrote:Yeah, whip.

I would hate to squat even 315 with a deadlift bar. Never tried it. I imagine the whip would be terrible. I remember squatting 350 with a bar loaded end to end with bumpers during warmups at a meet. Not fun. Maybe I am more sensitive than most to bar whip.

Benching, maybe most people don't use enough weight for it to matter... but still seems a bit dangerous to have bar whip there.
Good input I never even think of that kind of stuff. If I do go this route I'll just leave the Rip bar inside the rack for squats/bench. However outside I do rows and OP as well as DL's. I can't imagine that it would be an issue there but it's good to at least be aware. Starting this shit at 55+ I'm guessing by the time I'm on social security I'll no longer be a noob :)

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Post by unruhschuh » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 am

Nikipedia wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:27 am I have an ATX black mamba power bar, which is 28.5mm. While their customer service is terrible, ATX, in my opinion, is the very best option in Europe. Considering how I was not willing to fork over extra for Rogue's shipping.
Do you know if they have a website? I only found their stuff on www.megafitness.shop and www.jk-sportvertrieb.de.