XFit

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

iamsmu

Re: XFit

Post by iamsmu » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:25 am

CamLeslie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:05 am
iamsmu wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 am Here's the competition programming from the last three nights (I think they only meet 5 days a week for comp, taking Thursday and Sunday off):
-----------------
Is it just me or does it look like someone drew workouts out of a hat? Not trying to be disrespectful, I just don't understand what is going on here except a lot of work.
It looks like they were trying to have a bech + dead variation day, a squat day, and a dead day or something like that. I thought that this part wasn't all that ridiculous. But it is all mixed with various Olympic lifts, conditioning, and some other skill work. The skill work is really all over the place and infrequent. The random stuff in the conditioning blocks is not that worrisome. I dunno.

I don't like that it's so hard to figure out the pattern or plan (assuming there is one). It just looks like they are trying to do everything once a week. I've never trained like this. It certainly wouldn't work for developing some of the holds that I'm considering. . . . But it doesn't look like a recipe for injury, except maybe the 100% overhead squats!

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:05 am

iamsmu wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:25 am
I don't like that it's so hard to figure out the pattern or plan (assuming there is one).
Maybe that's the point. You can't reverse engineer a program and do it on your own, so then you have to pay to have them program for you

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm

One of the valid points Rip had was that the mainsite programming from XFit was nonsense and wouldn’t translate into meaningful improvement on specific lifts.

It’s commonly known that the competitive XFit people are following some fairly rational programming for strength, skill, and cardio. But even then Dave Castro likes to dream up stupid ideas like deadlift ladders supersetted with box jumps. In the end, I’m not sure what they are really demonstrating.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:40 am

mgil wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm In the end, I’m not sure what they are really demonstrating.
Multiple modalities, etc. Wannabe-military coolness, rebellious eating disorders, tacticool wannabe-military product placement, right wing hipsterness, individualistic clan-like behavior, independently minded group think, self administered PEDs and selective PED testing. It's really the whole package buy in for a mid thirties to forties mid life crisis. Stop at the Jeep dealership and pick up a 4 door Wrangler and you're set.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:47 am

MPhelps wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:40 am Multiple modalities, etc. Wannabe-military coolness, rebellious eating disorders, tacticool wannabe-military product placement, right wing hipsterness, individualistic clan-like behavior, independently minded group think, self administered PEDs and selective PED testing. It's really the whole package buy in for a mid thirties to forties mid life crisis. Stop at the Jeep dealership and pick up a 4 door Wrangler and you're set.
Hard top, full doors. Ding!

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:50 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:47 am
MPhelps wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:40 am Multiple modalities, etc. Wannabe-military coolness, rebellious eating disorders, tacticool wannabe-military product placement, right wing hipsterness, individualistic clan-like behavior, independently minded group think, self administered PEDs and selective PED testing. It's really the whole package buy in for a mid thirties to forties mid life crisis. Stop at the Jeep dealership and pick up a 4 door Wrangler and you're set.
Hard top, full doors. Ding!
Nice. Hope you got the Rubicon or you're not really cool

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:13 am

MPhelps wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:50 am Nice. Hope you got the Rubicon or you're not really cool
Oh, not me. Xfitters. And it's always an automatic.
If I got another Wrangler I'd probably try and find a 2 door 4.0L late model YJ, then just bolt a new body on.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:23 am

mgil wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm deadlift ladders supersetted with box jumps.
fucking stupid ^

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:32 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:13 am
MPhelps wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:50 am Nice. Hope you got the Rubicon or you're not really cool
Oh, not me. Xfitters. And it's always an automatic.
If I got another Wrangler I'd probably try and find a 2 door 4.0L late model YJ, then just bolt a new body on.
Of course, it's not like any of them grew up that way, and had to learn standard transmission.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:23 am
mgil wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm deadlift ladders supersetted with box jumps.
fucking stupid ^
But darkly humorous... That came as I was putting down that flavor of Kool-Aid and trying to explain to the drinkers that some things are both useless and dangerous.
MPhelps wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:32 am Of course, it's not like any of them grew up that way, and had to learn standard transmission.
I learned to drive a stick when I bought a manual 97 Wrangler and had to drive it something like 8 hours home from Kentucky.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:19 am

mgil wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm One of the valid points Rip had was that the mainsite programming from XFit was nonsense and wouldn’t translate into meaningful improvement on specific lifts.

It’s commonly known that the competitive XFit people are following some fairly rational programming for strength, skill, and cardio. But even then Dave Castro likes to dream up stupid ideas like deadlift ladders supersetted with box jumps. In the end, I’m not sure what they are really demonstrating.
I'm having a hell of a time finding out how these people really train. There's an old Froning documentary. If it's indicative, he rows 4.5k every morning and then does random stuff all day. Somewhere he said he did 5/3/1/ . . .

I tried to read up on K Davidsdottir's training, but it's mysterious. According to a couple articles, she works out pretty much all day. It's not clear how much her programming looks like the programs Bergeron posts here:

http://comptrain.co/individuals/home/

The FAQ and about sections have a little more info on what they might be up to.

Looks like Fraser was some kind of natural and works out in his basement, or so the legend has it:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/20 ... story.html

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 am

iamsmu wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:19 am I'm having a hell of a time finding out how these people really train.
The owner of my old Xfit was a pretty high level decathlete. Apparently head games were HUGE in training, among coaches, etc and he was 100% convinced it was a thing in Xfit, too. Reporter following you? Convince them your workouts are directed by a set of dice and chicken bones, and you eat nothing but sauceless goat cheese pizza. Do it for a week if you have to.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:38 am

Individual Event 3 of the upcoming games might be of some interest here. It's squat, press, deadlift: "Crossfit Total"

I wonder what form rules they will enforce on the press.

This must be painful:

https://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/5 ... FTotal.pdf

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:58 am

Will the Crossfit games be live-streamed somewhere? As a general matter, I have zero interest in Crossfit, but a Crossfit Total event could be interesting.

CamLeslie

Post by CamLeslie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am

omaniphil wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:58 am Will the Crossfit games be live-streamed somewhere? As a general matter, I have zero interest in Crossfit, but a Crossfit Total event could be interesting.
Used to be able to watch on youtube after the fact but I think that day has passed if you are in the US.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:38 am

CamLeslie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am
omaniphil wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:58 am Will the Crossfit games be live-streamed somewhere? As a general matter, I have zero interest in Crossfit, but a Crossfit Total event could be interesting.
Used to be able to watch on youtube after the fact but I think that day has passed if you are in the US.
I can't recall last year. The year before, you could trick Youtube by loading the stream via one of these plugins that routes you through another country and then turn that off to get a faster connection. If that's required again, I'll post details.

I think I was using the free Zenmate plugin for Chrome and routing my initial connections to Youtube through Germany.

----

I think it might be free to watch this year on cbssports.com

https://www.cbssports.com/crossfit/game ... 01-10acd4a

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:42 am

Honestly crossfit gives me the same vibe as rock'n'roll show dancing competitions or those aerobic competitions.

heidikay

Post by heidikay » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:45 am

iamsmu wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:38 am
I can't recall last year. The year before, you could trick Youtube by loading the stream via one of these plugins that routes you through another country and then turn that off to get a faster connection. If that's required again, I'll post details.

I think I was using the free Zenmate plugin for Chrome and routing my initial connections to Youtube through Germany.

----

Nooooooooo. . . You are not making me watch that crap again this year.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:00 pm

heidikay wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:45 am
iamsmu wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:38 am

----

Nooooooooo. . . You are not making me watch that crap again this year.
It only lasts for 3 or 4 full days and evenings.

CamLeslie

Post by CamLeslie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm

I will probably watch again this year. Regardless of what one thinks about Xfit, the events, the athletes, their genetics, (and their chemists) are impressive. Just watching the Deadlift Ladder makes my back hurt and I want to throw up from exertion.