XFit

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

cwd

Re: XFit

Post by cwd » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:36 am I think its kinda shitty to just the dummy(analog for a fallen comrade) laying there after the first part .
They should have to load him/her/it into a Huey or Blackhawk or APC something.
Yes, one Blackhawk for each competitor's lane.

I assume they (and the dummy) are wearing a body armor vest or something . . . for extra weight.
But the athlete is gym shorts and a tee shirt?, but then a shitty little body armor vest.
Seems sorta stupid. Should do it in full gear.
It's not hardcore unless someone is shooting at you during the drag.

Not real bullets, that would be going too far. A paintball turret system of some kind would give them extra equipment sponsorship opportunities.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:43 pm

cwd wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 am
mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:36 am I think its kinda shitty to just the dummy(analog for a fallen comrade) laying there after the first part .

I assume they (and the dummy) are wearing a body armor vest or something . . . for extra weight.
But the athlete is gym shorts and a tee shirt?, but then a shitty little body armor vest.

Not real bullets, that would be going too far. A paintball turret system of some kind would give them extra equipment sponsorship opportunities.
This is brilliant. It should fire at a certain height. If you go over it will nail you. Point off for each hit or something like that.

People are making fun of the bike event on IG

A choice comment:

"Bike fitting"?? You're getting soft, Castro. Each athlete should get a standard 20in Mongoose classic BMX bike. No brakes. Oh and chain detached. They'll need to put that on first after finding it one of the hay bales leftover from last year's sandbag/burpee/run workout.
"

Jay870

Post by Jay870 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Ah, no shit. Back when I was big time into competitive shooting Dave Re (davexre) was a pretty legit national level open division shooter. He disappeared... I knew he "did crossfit" but didn't know he was actually part of the org.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:38 pm

MPhelps wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:19 pm How incredibly creepy that they've gone this far to do emulate wannabe-military training exercises. What's next, shooting M4s for time?
Australia now has a Tactical Strength & Conditioning Certification. My instinct is that the holders will be rarely hired by law enforcement or military, but most commonly by the mid-life crisesers mentioned earlier.

Tactical athletes.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm not sure that this is entirely right, but it looks like they are going to end the first day with a Marathon Row. If that's what's programmed on my C2, that's 42,000 meters. I think there will be a 4 hours time cap. hahaha.

That doesn't make for the best TV. And it will ruin the competitors. Can you win if you don't complete an event?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:38 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 pm I'm not sure that this is entirely right, but it looks like they are going to end the first day with a Marathon Row. If that's what's programmed on my C2, that's 42,000 meters. I think there will be a 4 hours time cap. hahaha.
Yep. +42000 meters. Fuck that shit.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:18 pm

MPhelps wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:19 pm How incredibly creepy that they've gone this far to do emulate wannabe-military training exercises. What's next, shooting M4s for time?
Some biathlon shit might actually make this farce a bit better. Do all the wacky "metcon" nonsense, then try to shoot straight. Wuld b laff.
cwd wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 am

I changed my mind. Fuck the biathlon, just make this full on, competitive Jackass.

Also, in some instagram comment, some fool is complaining about going "from Fittest On Earth to the Thunderdome," regarding the likelihood of a complete clusterfuck on the biking portion. First, these idiots were never the fittest on Earth. More importantly, Thunderdome would be a HUGE step up from the Washed Up Loser Olympics this shit usually is.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 am

Even when I DID xfit I thought the stupid row events at the games were stupid. I hope all the athletes sandbag that shit and xfit gets dropped by all their sponsors.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 am

I think the general consensus among average people is that ultra endurance is the epitome of athleticism.

Regular people think Hafthor Bjornsson is just a really big dude. They think football stars are just really good at football. They think Mat Fraser is good at working out. Lance Armstrong (before people knew about the PEDs) is the ultimate athlete.

I think Crossfit HQ is trying to get in on the elitism of endurance.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:23 am

broseph wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 am I think the general consensus among average people is that ultra endurance is the epitome of athleticism.

Regular people think Hafthor Bjornsson is just a really big dude. They think football stars are just really good at football. They think Mat Fraser is good at working out. Lance Armstrong (before people knew about the PEDs) is the ultimate athlete.

I think Crossfit HQ is trying to get in on the elitism of endurance.
Most likely. But it seems to go against their training methodology. They push mostly HIIT with a smattering of LISS, more so after Froning had trouble on a 3 mile run a few years back at the games. . . .

Then again, it might just be arrogance. This isn't training. It's testing. And I've seen some xfitters make outrageous claims that they could run marathons (like right then, not after extended training). The God awful propaganda shit rag NYTimes ran a profile on some not-very competitive Xiftter who also worked in NASCAR. (Can't recall the name. Something like Christmas Tree. She has a tattoo of a pistol on her thigh.) She made such a marathon claim. Perhaps Castro believes it.

It's not going to prove that much anyway. The games athletes are not just hitting the local box for 45 minutes 4 times a week. . . . I fear that it's going to mess up the rest of the games by depleting all of the competitors. I can't imagine that many of them do anything like this kind of steady state work. They'll be trashed on Thursday. Oh well.

edit: Found the article. She doesn't say marathon; she just says long distances. That's vague. Not as ridiculous as I remember.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/ ... in-nascar/

"I don’t do a lot of isolated cardio, but you’d be surprised how lifting weights can give you a cardiovascular response. We train anaerobically most of the time, so you get a cardio benefit but without decreasing your muscle mass. So even though we don’t train for it, we’re able to run long distances, and short distances quickly."

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 am

I remember some Xfit folks from a long time ago claiming not only could they do a marathon, but that they would perform better than the actual marathoners because they were “fat burners,” not “carb burners.”

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:39 am

broseph wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 am I remember some Xfit folks from a long time ago claiming not only could they do a marathon, but that they would perform better than the actual marathoners because they were “fat burners,” not “carb burners.”
Where is Savs when we need him (for a diatribe about "the arrogance of the crossfitter")?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 am

broseph wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 am I remember some Xfit folks from a long time ago claiming not only could they do a marathon, but that they would perform better than the actual marathoners because they were “fat burners,” not “carb burners.”
Only a half marathon, and it depends on what you mean by "marathoners" but when I was Xfitting I ran a ~1:57 half, in Vibram toeshoes, with the full extent of my training is doing Xfit 4-6 times a week and a single 9 mile run the week beforehand. I knew a fair number of runners, many whom had done >1 half marathon a year, and my time was better than anyone I knew. Also, that's not exactly a fantastic, competitive time, but I am also a terrible, terrible runner.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 am
Only a half marathon, and it depends on what you mean by "marathoners" but when I was Xfitting I ran a ~1:57 half, in Vibram toeshoes, with the full extent of my training is doing Xfit 4-6 times a week and a single 9 mile run the week beforehand. I knew a fair number of runners, many whom had done >1 half marathon a year, and my time was better than anyone I knew. Also, that's not exactly a fantastic, competitive time, but I am also a terrible, terrible runner.
That's great, roughly 13 nine minute miles. But I know people who run regularly and can't maintain anything faster than a 10:30 mile. Do your runner friends just suck? . . . Do you think your experience would be typical of most people just doing x-fit?

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:32 am

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:23 am . . . I fear that it's going to mess up the rest of the games by depleting all of the competitors. I can't imagine that many of them do anything like this kind of steady state work. They'll be trashed on Thursday. Oh well.
Yeah I don't understand why they're trying to DESTROY the competitors on day 1. There's bound to be a number of athletes who will wreck on bikes.. and what is the strategy on the marathon row? Don't die? I'm not of fan of what they're doing this year. I kinda want to see Fraser dominate, which he probably still will do, but why SO much stress on day 1? I really hope none of the top guys & gals don't get hurt on day 1. That would not be cool..

I don't hate CrossFit, and I often incorporate WODs into my strength training to get some less boring cardio, but man I hate how Castro tries to prove he's some programming genius for the Games.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 am

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 am
That's great, roughly 13 nine minute miles. But I know people who run regularly and can't maintain anything faster than a 10:30 mile. Do your runner friends just suck? . . . Do you think your experience would be typical of most people just doing x-fit?
Yeah, that is impressive. And in Vibrams?!?!

Were your typical wods more endurance based, i.e. towards the 20 minute side of the spectrum vs the 3 minute side?

@thejosef, I am very sick of the Games mentality of “let’s see what these folks can suffer through!” Instead of actually showcasing their fitness.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:56 am

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 am Do your runner friends just suck? . . . Do you think your experience would be typical of most people just doing x-fit?
No idea on either.
broseph wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 am Yeah, that is impressive. And in Vibrams?!?!

Were your typical wods more endurance based, i.e. towards the 20 minute side of the spectrum vs the 3 minute side?
All over the board. We did some 1 mile runs. We did the named things. We did 5K rows and 500m rows. We did agility ladders and cleans and stuff. Nothing ever went more than an hour, obviously, because that's how long class was. Nearly every class started with some sort of run warmup, at least when the sidewalks were clear, so we probably ran at least a little 3+ days a week.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 am

I'm not sure what event she's training for. But things might get even stranger.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:37 pm

About half the schedule is up. Thursday will be a rest day, so maybe the marathon won't ruin the entire event.

https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/games/2018

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:13 pm

broseph wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 am I think the general consensus among average people is that ultra endurance is the epitome of athleticism.
I've known several individuals who were smart, experienced, thoughtful, knowledgeable, and general Assets to the species. "People" in the plural are, without exception, utter fucking idiots.
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 am
It was probably just the sexy toe-shoes.
thejosef wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:32 am
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:23 am . . . I fear that it's going to mess up the rest of the games by depleting all of the competitors. I can't imagine that many of them do anything like this kind of steady state work. They'll be trashed on Thursday. Oh well.
Yeah I don't understand why they're trying to DESTROY the competitors on day 1. There's bound to be a number of athletes who will wreck on bikes.. and what is the strategy on the marathon row? Don't die? I'm not of fan of what they're doing this year. I kinda want to see Fraser dominate, which he probably still will do, but why SO much stress on day 1? I really hope none of the top guys & gals don't get hurt on day 1. That would not be unfunny...
Fixed. Seeing a rugby player need help off the field after a pile fell on his leg in a funny direction is a bummer. Seeing a rugby player waddle off the field while dripping blood is kind of cool. Seeing a basketball player get wheelchaired off the floor because they hurt their shoulder in the act of committing a foul? Absolutely hilarious.

There's nothing funnier that seeing upjumped, stupid pussies who aren't really about shit get hurt due to their own idiocy or incompetence.
broseph wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 am@thejosef, I am very sick of the Games mentality of “let’s see what these folks can suffer through!” Instead of actually showcasing their fitness.
Well, Castro being an ex-SEAL and a total fucking moron, the only thing he knows is "see what they can suffer through." If they wanted to judge all around fitness, they'd do a powerlifting competition, followed by a weightlifting competition, followed by a 40y dash, followed by a mile run, possibly followed by some "agility" shit (stop/start, change directions, general acceleration stuff), and figure out how to add all of that into a final score.

I keep saying CrossFit like Strongman for people who aren't strong, but it's really more like Ninja Warrior for people who can't actually do a fucking pull up.
iamsmu wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 am I'm not sure what event she's training for. But things might get even stranger.

I want it known that DirtyRed TOTALLY called the Biathlon flavor showing up.