XFit

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

asdf

Re: XFit

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 pm

michael wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 pm
asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 pm little starch and no sugar...doesn't it just sound like common sense?
Not really. Starch and sugar should provide 40-60% of calories.
And what should the remaining 60-40% be? Trans fats? Beer?

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 pm And what should the remaining 60-40% be? Trans fats? Beer?
meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:06 pm What is your basis for this claim? How are you inferring the demographic "aim" of either group? CrossFit doesn't market to the sickly and the broken? Are you serious?
Article and advertising. Apart from making them sickly and broken, yes. Show me the Crossfit HQ equivalent of this article, or the several others talking about training Down's Syndrome kids, or 90yo women, and so on.

Meanwhile Crossfit has a lot of shirtless selfies.

There'll be similar stuff on either side, of course. Feig had shirtless selfies while still with SS (but then, he did leave), and Crossfit HQ no doubt has an inspiring story or two of someone with no arms and legs training anyway. But there's no real doubt that presenting stories of sickly and broken people training and improving their lives is a very significant part of what SS has done, and a much much smaller part of what Crossfit has done. And in either case, individual gyms will vary.

That was an interesting old thread about Rip leaving the NSCA and Glassman's arguments with Dan John. Rip publicly disavows the NSCA and later Crossfit, Feig publicly disavows SS, and so it goes. It's all very much like martial arts.

ShaneB, whoever he is, appears to be the first person to publicly suggest Rip offer a certification. So we can give him the credit or blame for planting the seed which grew into the sapling of SS breaking with Crossfit a couple of years later.
asdf wrote: At this point, doesn't it just sound like common sense?
No, it doesn't. Starch is present in "nuts and seeds", and grains are actually seeds anyway, even if we grind them up and turn them into deep-fried (in seed oil!) doughnuts. So if you follow the "nuts and seeds" then you can't have "little starch", and despite all the "big ag!" hysteria, it remains the consensus in dietics that grains are not inherently harmful. The advice contradicts itself and contradicts nutritional consensus, as well as government health department recommendations (which nobody follows anyway).

Denying yourself grains, absent medical reasons to do so, makes no more sense for your physical health than denying yourself pork and seafood, as I do because I'm Jewish. We don't do it for health reasons, we do it to signal our membership in a group, like a soldier in a uniform, a professional in a suit and tie, and so on. The difference between a religion and a cult is that a religion is a cult that got popular for at least a few hundred years. Crossfit and palaeo are too new and unpopular to qualify.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 pm

michael wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 pm
asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 pm And what should the remaining 60-40% be? Trans fats? Beer?
So fruit's out of the picture entirely?

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:14 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 pm
Fruit is a sugar

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Before I respond, I'd like to ask @KyleSchuant how much actual experience you have with CrossFit. Have you ever attended a seminar? Read the Level 1 materials? Watched a lecture by Glassman? Trained in a CrossFit gym?

I ask because it honestly doesn't seem like you know that much about the organization. You're entitled to your opinions, of course, they just seem poorly informed. Anyway...
KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 pm Show me the Crossfit HQ equivalent of this article, or the several others talking about training Down's Syndrome kids, or 90yo women, and so on.
Dude, there are hundreds of such articles and videos. Here are a few to get you started:

In Issue 26 of the CrossFit Journal, way back in 2004, there's an article about a 69-year-old grandma training CrossFit. In the same issue, there's an article about how to scale CrossFit benchmark workouts for "grandmas"

Here's a video from 2007 of a 60-year-old couple being taught how to snatch.

Google "CrossFit Old People" and you'll see links to recent videos and articles in the mainstream media about 94-, 77-, and 78-year-old praising the benefits of CrossFit training. Search results vary by individual and region of course, so I can't guarantee you'll see the same thing.

Here are some other CrossFit articles about coaching older people:

Coaching the Elderly - Introduction from 2008

Training Silvers from 2010.

CrossFit After 40 from 2010.

There are tons of CrossFit articles and videos about training people with disabilities.

Here's one from 2013.

Lots of CrossFit gyms have dedicated programs for people with disabilities. Here's one. Here's another.

CrossFit currently offers a specialty course on Adaptive Training, "designed to teach trainers and athletes how to make CrossFit accessible to impaired athletes."

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:22 pm

michael wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:14 pm
asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 pm
Fruit is a sugar
Fruit *contains* sugar.

I can't tell if you're joking or not. Surely, you don't actually think that 60% of our diet should be starch and sugar. Maybe you meant carbs? Or you're just joking. Right?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:21 pm Dude, there are hundreds of such articles and videos. Here are a few to get you started:

In Issue 26 of the CrossFit Journal, way back in 2004, there's an article about a 69-year-old grandma training CrossFit. In the same issue, there's an article about how to scale CrossFit benchmark workouts for "grandmas"

Here's a video from 2007 of a 60-year-old couple being taught how to snatch.

Google "CrossFit Old People" and you'll see links to recent videos and articles in the mainstream media about 94-, 77-, and 78-year-old praising the benefits of CrossFit training. Search results vary by individual and region of course, so I can't guarantee you'll see the same thing.

Here are some other CrossFit articles about coaching older people:

Coaching the Elderly - Introduction from 2008

Training Silvers from 2010.

CrossFit After 40 from 2010.

There are tons of CrossFit articles and videos about training people with disabilities.

Here's one from 2013.

Lots of CrossFit gyms have dedicated programs for people with disabilities. Here's one. Here's another.

CrossFit currently offers a specialty course on Adaptive Training, "designed to teach trainers and athletes how to make CrossFit accessible to impaired athletes."
This is called marketing.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:33 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 pm Starch is present in "nuts and seeds", and grains are actually seeds anyway, even if we grind them up and turn them into deep-fried (in seed oil!) doughnuts. So if you follow the "nuts and seeds" then you can't have "little starch", and despite all the "big ag!" hysteria, it remains the consensus in dietics that grains are not inherently harmful. The advice contradicts itself and contradicts nutritional consensus, as well as government health department recommendations (which nobody follows anyway).

Denying yourself grains, absent medical reasons to do so, makes no more sense for your physical health than denying yourself pork and seafood, as I do because I'm Jewish. We don't do it for health reasons, we do it to signal our membership in a group, like a soldier in a uniform, a professional in a suit and tie, and so on. The difference between a religion and a cult is that a religion is a cult that got popular for at least a few hundred years. Crossfit and palaeo are too new and unpopular to qualify.
Seems like we're quibbling over the word, "little" in the phrase "little starch."

Consider Glassman's environment and audience. An American diet is overly filled with processed carbs -- pasta, chips, pretzels, potatoes, white bread, rice krispies, etc. -- which is what I think Glassman meant by "starch."

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 pm This is called marketing.
Yes. Marketing to older people and those with disabilities.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:50 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:22 pm I can't tell if you're joking or not. Surely, you don't actually think that 60% of our diet should be starch and sugar. Maybe you meant carbs? Or you're just joking. Right?
Starch and sugar are the only carbs.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:02 am

michael wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:50 pm
asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:22 pm I can't tell if you're joking or not. Surely, you don't actually think that 60% of our diet should be starch and sugar. Maybe you meant carbs? Or you're just joking. Right?
Okay, so then when someone tells you to eat vegetables, nuts, and seeds, but little starch and to eat fruit, but no sugar, can you not charitably interpret what they mean?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 am

Where’s fiber in this?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:29 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:03 pm
Cody wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:16 am As for the health thing, Glassman has given lots and lots of presentations about how bad sugar is and has publicly lobbed a lot of grenades at Coke, as well as being a strong voice against gluten and advocating for specific diet interventions.

Not sure how anyone can say he hasn't been on a "public health" advocacy/tirade for years.
There's a difference between basically advocating "palaeo" diets for your gym's lifters, and having your gym appeal to the sickly and broken. The first is just part of the cult thing, it's just a more sophisticated version of GOMAD and similar nonsense. Part of any cultural group is food, sharing food at social events and excluding certain foods as "unclean", whether it's Jews excluding pork or Crossfitters excluding grains. Same shit, really.

Broadening your gym's appeal to include the sickly and broken is entirely different.
What is the #1 public health issue in America? Obesity. How does one address obesity? Exercise and diet (specifically less processed sugar intake).

If you watch the videos that were posted you'd know that's been the stance of Glassman for a long time.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:54 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Denying yourself grains, absent medical reasons to do so, makes no more sense for your physical health than denying yourself pork and seafood
You can be healthy and still eat grain, but there are a myriad of physiologically beneficial effects of being in nutritional ketosis.

You are most definitely not informed on the subject.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:36 am

asdf wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:02 am
Okay, so then when someone tells you to eat vegetables, nuts, and seeds, but little starch and to eat fruit, but no sugar, can you not charitably interpret what they mean?
asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 pm
michael wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 pm
asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 pm little starch and no sugar...doesn't it just sound like common sense?
Not really. Starch and sugar should provide 40-60% of calories.
Yes let's be charitable with our interpretations indeed.

Ok, here: "Eat mostly whole, minimally processed foods." Not exactly a revelation. Different people do better on different macro ratios. Also not a revelation.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:48 am

mgil wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 am
Where’s fiber in this?
Sure, but it's not caloric.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:03 am

cgeorg wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:36 am
asdf wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:02 am
michael wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:50 pm Not really. Starch and sugar should provide 40-60% of calories.
Yes let's be charitable with our interpretations indeed.
To be fair, at that point I thought michael was joking.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:36 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:13 amlarge amount of text on page 2
Why did I read that entire thing? I thought I was going to stop, but each line made me read just one more line.
iamsmu wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 amOptional Additional Conditioning Session
300 Meter Row *
Rest 1 minute
x 8 rounds

*you MUST get faster each round – -focus on recovery and breathing between sets
How are you supposed to manage that, except by really slacking on the first few?
Allentown wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 amand you eat nothing but sauceless goat cheese pizza.
I'd give it a try.
The CrossFit Total’s press rules will not permit excessive layback, as we’ll see later.
constitutes a missed attempt, as does ... excessive backward lean of the torso as identified by A) the position of the most anterior aspect of the armpit, B) the most posterior aspect of the buttocks, C) the plane formed by a straight line between these two points, and D) the movement of that plane to a position behind the vertical.
That rule was in effect for the October Iron Fest meet I did back in 2014. Wish we would've kept it, personally.
iamsmu wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:30 pmI assume that they will just say, Get PUKIE over the 50 yard line by any means... Some might spin and toss.
Hmm... My best hammer throw with a 16-lb hammer was 60.00m. I can't see pukie being quite as ergonomic, and probably not very aerodynamic either.
DirtyRed wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 pmI move that this thread be moved out of Strength Sports on the basis that CrossFit isn't a sport and no one in it is strong
Didn't some of them out-deadlift you, DR?
Remember when he was challenging people to shirtless deadlifts?
No, I do not. Where was this?
Wilhelm wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:54 amYou can be healthy and still eat grain, but there are a myriad of physiologically beneficial effects of being in nutritional ketosis.
I would question the proven-ness of that statement, assuming you're referring to the general population.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:30 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:36 am I would question the proven-ness of that statement, assuming you're referring to the general population.
So much more proven than this statement -
KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 pm Denying yourself grains, absent medical reasons to do so, makes no more sense for your physical health than denying yourself pork and seafood
There is so much research going on in this field, and a huge amount of animal model data pointing to (as i said) myriad effects of ketosis.
But it is so easy to ask for proven-ness to the nth degree while allowing "common sense" opinions like kyle put forth to be taken as true or even proven.

There is plenty of data pointing to increased mitichondrial biogenesis, reduced reactive oxygen species production in mitochondria, reduced inflamation, increased igf1 and insulin sensitivity, improved lipid profiles, and so much more.

Yes, many people have taken this up as a fad. But the scientific community takes it seriously, and continue to tease out mechanisms for the effects that are observed.

But yeah, "it does nothing" is an accepted statement.
KD mimics calorie restriction even in a caloric surplus, and i'd like to see anyone refute the findings on the effects of calorie restriction on longevity in just about any species studied.

And if by general population, you mean the 50% plus of the population who are diabetic or pre-diabetic, it is shown in ongoing clinical practice, that a KD can reverse diabetes.
Yet people just keep slamming exogenous insulin in ever increasing does that become every decreasingly effecticve, and never cure the condition.

Drug companies are pouring resources into AMPK drugs as well as hdac inhibiting drugs, while a KD activates ampk, and beta hydroxide butyrate is a hdac inhibitor that we can produes in out bodies for free.