Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

asdf

Re: XFit

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:07 am

omaniphil wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 am
asdf wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:08 pm
omaniphil wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm
ebb wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 pm It was before my time, but I've always wondered how the Rippetoe/Xfit partnership worked out. (Well, I know how it eventually worked, but that it ever happened at all, is what I mean.) Any memories from consule Planco?
I don't know the story about how the Crossfit/Rip relationship ended...
Here you go:

[I decided to delete the link I had put here previously. It was to a post in the infamous "Couch Thread" on Irongarmx. I'm not sure such a link is appropriate for this forum.]
looked it up. that thing is 1400pgs long. Any idea on which page to start reading?
I'll send you a PM with a link to the specific post.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:10 am

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:07 am
omaniphil wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 am
asdf wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:08 pm
omaniphil wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm
ebb wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 pm It was before my time, but I've always wondered how the Rippetoe/Xfit partnership worked out. (Well, I know how it eventually worked, but that it ever happened at all, is what I mean.) Any memories from consule Planco?
I don't know the story about how the Crossfit/Rip relationship ended...
Here you go:

[I decided to delete the link I had put here previously. It was to a post in the infamous "Couch Thread" on Irongarmx. I'm not sure such a link is appropriate for this forum.]
looked it up. that thing is 1400pgs long. Any idea on which page to start reading?
I'll send you a PM with a link to the specific post.
FWIW, as long as the link is not NSFW, you can post it, since it's public knowledge. We aren't overly concerned with other sites getting traffic.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:14 am

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:04 am
iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:43 am What's wrong with Glassman? Did he fall off a rope or something? I can't recall what his excuse was.
His "excuse" is that he contracted polio as a child. 60 Minutes reported that he also suffered a serious leg injury dismounting from the rings in his youth. Is one or the other or both a sufficient "excuse" for you? He's 62, by the way.
Polio is a pretty good excuse. [Edit: I take that back. I don't see how it's relevant. He had polio, overcame it, became a gymnast, and now he's a couch potato that looks like an old drunk.] I hadn't heard that. He's just looked like shit for years and years. I thought he was just a drunk. I swear there was a story about him falling off a rope. Must have confused it with the rings story.
Last edited by iamsmu on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 am

iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:14 am
iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:43 am What's wrong with Glassman? Did he fall off a rope or something? I can't recall what his excuse was.
His "excuse" is that he contracted polio as a child. 60 Minutes reported that he also suffered a serious leg injury dismounting from the rings in his youth. Is one or the other or both a sufficient "excuse" for you? He's 62, by the way.
He's just looked like shit for years and years. I thought he was just a drunk. I swear there was a story about him falling off a rope. Must have confused it with the rings story.
Can't find the rope thing, but he admits to being out of shape (13 years ago!). He doesn't blame polio.

From an interview:

"Mr. Glassman, 49, a former gymnast from Santa Cruz, Calif., walks with a slight limp because of a knee injury, and at 5-foot-7 and 185 pounds admits he should lose weight. He began developing CrossFit more than two decades ago, but he says that he spends so much time running the business now that he no longer regularly does the routines. At first his program was a hard sell to clients who weren't keen to climb ropes or grapple with gymnastic rings."

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fash ... s-you.html

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am

iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 am Can't find the rope thing, but he admits to being out of shape (13 years ago!). He doesn't blame polio.
Glassman has disputed the reporting in that specific NY Times piece, but what's your point?

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:37 am

What is any of our points?

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 am

iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:14 am Polio is a pretty good excuse. [Edit: I take that back. I don't see how it's relevant. He had polio, overcame it, became a gymnast, and now he's a couch potato that looks like an old drunk.] I hadn't heard that. He's just looked like shit for years and years.
How do you know that Glassman is a couch potato? Does Rippetoe look fit? Is he a couch potato?

Here's Lon Kilgore who is also over 60. Does he look like a couch potato? And yet there he is, standing on a competition platform with 66kg overhead having just snatched it. (Note: you have to click play to see Kilgore.)

I hope I'm still snatching and CrossFitting when I'm over 60.

Last edited by asdf on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:43 am

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 am You think SS is targeting a broader demographic than CrossFit? That's ridiculous.

There are more non-white CrossFitters than people who have ever heard of Starting Strength.

Check a map of CrossFit affiliates. You think the 15 CrossFit gyms in Lima, the 13 in New Delhi, the 45 in Shanghai, the 48 in Busan, the 6 in Kuala Lumpur, etc. and etc. are filled with white people? (I've been to CrossFit gyms in each of those places. I can assure you they're not.)

Even if you're right about the percentages, as the base expands, more and more people of color are coming into CrossFit. There are definitely affiliates in southern California where the majority of members are non-white (with the majority being Asian and/or Latino).
I don't know about the demographics, but there are 2x as many Xfit affiliates in my CITY than there are SS gyms in the state. On vacation in Mexico I saw at least 3 Xfit gyms.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 am

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 am
iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:14 am Polio is a pretty good excuse. [Edit: I take that back. I don't see how it's relevant. He had polio, overcame it, became a gymnast, and now he's a couch potato that looks like an old drunk.] I hadn't heard that. He's just looked like shit for years and years.
How do you know that Glassman is a couch potato? Does Rippetoe look fit? Is he a couch potato?
He said so, or pretty close in the NY Times article. It that quote was misleading, then I might be wrong. The NYTimes is such a p-o-s that I wouldn't be surprised. (How you would know that he disputed that NYT's article is interesting. You must be much closer this than I realized.) But man, you are all over the place. What do Rip and Kilgore have to do with this? I wasn't comparing them. Hell, I'm a bigger fan of X-Fit than SS.

Either you have strong tendencies to internet assholeness or this is very personal. Sorry to insult your friend's appearance. But note, I'm not saying he's a bad guy. I don't know him. . . . Yes, Rip looks like shit. Nearly everyone thinks so. People make fun of him all over the interwebs. There's plenty of people talking about how out of shape Glassman looks too. He's looked bad for over a decade, since when he was in his late 40's as far as I can tell.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:04 pm

iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 am What do Rip and Kilgore have to do with this?
You're assuming that Glassman is a couch potato because of his appearance. I was giving you examples of other people Glassman's age who do not look especially fit and yet are not couch potatoes.
iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 am Either you have strong tendencies to internet assholeness or...
You criticize the appearance of someone who suffered from polio and a serious leg injury, but I'm the asshole...? Okay.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:15 pm

iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 am (How you would know that he disputed that NYT's article is interesting. You must be much closer this than I realized.)
Here's what Glassman said about the NYT article:
Where did my not working out come from? It came from the NYT. Cooperman asked if I did the WOD every day. I said, “no, I’m usually experimenting on myself and others with protocols that will quickly be abandoned and it would be unethical to spread them to the community at large adding that most of what we monkey with will never make it to wider audience.” I also let her know that locally we only rarely do the WOD because I have better options, trainers, and equipment than does the cyber community of CrossFit. I also told her I had a penchant for bicycles that kept me from being as fit as I might. I was the original CrossFitter and I can, at 49, still outperform more CrossFitters than not.
I believe the original post where that was written is gone. But I found it as part of a post from Dan John, in which he (John) addresses some issues relating to his own involvement with CrossFit. In that post from John, you'll also find some discussion of Rippetoe's involvement in CrossFit, which others were asking about previously in this thread.

Here's the link, search for "Danny John":

https://www.crossfit.com/workout/2008/08/04#/comments

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:00 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:04 pm You criticize the appearance of someone who suffered from polio and a serious leg injury, but I'm the asshole...? Okay.

Even if his appearance was entirely a result of Polio and other factors outside of his control, that wouldn't mean that he looks very good. It just might make it a little cruel to make fun of him. But I don't think I'm being cruel here.

My original point was that Glassman is a bad face for the cure, the fitness / lifestyle brand. It's hard to believe that he takes his own medicine. He has a belly and looks very weak. I don't see how this has to do with Polio or an old leg injury. He overcame the Polio. And he said that he was a great X-Fitter at 49, presumably way after the leg injury. . . . He just doesn't appear to do much crossfit and hasn't for a while. Perhaps he does, his blood panels are fantastic, he assiduously avoids sugar, and the cure is working. I dunno.

ch

Post by ch » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:20 pm

mbasic wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:13 am
SpoilerShow

I'd imagine that was the jist of the Chiro office being on the plans.
Probably someone they know, and/or their 2nd business.

But yeah, one feeds on the other.

The 3rd building is probably gonna be a Supplement/Vitamin shop.

...where they can buy their grass fed whey protein,
and their "tainted" preworkouts/recovery drinks that they totally don't know that there's SARMS in there ;) because no one has ever heard of that ever happening to anyone ever big surprise OMG can't believe there is stanzobol in my raspberry flavor electrolyte drink totally did not know I should get only two year ban because my boyfriend has be using tren and blew a big load in me last night and my body absorbed it or it fell out into the test cup nevermind a have vein-ey 12 pack abs and trapz up to my ears I just have those hidden testicles the size a peas in my stomach and am a high responder to training I should only get a 90 day ban for realz buy my skin care products and my red-dot wacky electro-doo-dad-thing that I use because I'm elleeeete discount code is TaintedMexicoMeat please follow me and lyke this post and sign up for my Olympic technique seminar on July 30th for $400 because I'm a slightly above average lifter in everyway but I know how to coach the classic lifts even though I'm not a coach these hair products are the best and I have only been lifting for a few years but my boyfriend taugh me everything there is to know about olympic lifting and I can get your Fran time down 15% you pee CokeZero though but hey no pain no gain did I mention discount code TaintedCreatine? please like my video "Keto, you are probably doing it wrong" BRB going to use a jigsaw with the ping pong ball attachment to breakup fascia lesions on my coccygeus magnus feelz good oh yeah #metoo don't objectify me I'm just an athlete trying to make a buck doing what a love same as anyother athlete here's a nice selfie of me doing a walking handstand on a beach in a thong and praise jesus and only through the power of christ could a accomplish what I do accept the lord as your savior use discount code:Ostarineinmyorganiceyeliner here's a close up pic of me with a fuckton of makeup on and borderline eating disorder but I' not a role model like charles barkley look at me a selfie with my thumb in my tight see thru boy short pulling my waistband down to my monspubis see my ab vein can only get this way using Isagenix Nutrition Projects discount code MK-2866 my coach kept my SSB that's not his is was for me going see if I can post myself working out at 12 different gym this week because its cool to hop all around and train on my fifth coach in two years but I didn't rape that girl in the dorms, that's all a rumor gonna quit the sport because reasons can clean 524 pounds but not gonna compete just lift on the grams #winning oh that reminds me: discount codeWIN-14833 here a selfie of me in booty shorts doing technique work drill with bands with more camel toe than Saudi Arabia I work so hard and my technique is great but I can't hit an opening snatch at worlds three times in a row oh well shit happens it was the lords plan for me gonna squat 275 kg for a double but can't stand up with 190 on my shoulders because reasons sign up for my technique seminar for $550 even though a look like a newborn foal thats walking for the first time when I snatch I want to like like a Fronning and play community college baseball and be the fittest man on earth because he's the best nevermind the NFL/NBA/MLB guys they don't even functional fitness patterns look at my abz discount code:WADAISLAME praise christ let the spirit into your life see my selfie with my dogs but I travel all the time so are they really my pets if someone else has to take care of them 40% of the time my ass looks great in these shorts that are two sizes too small
This is almost perfect. The only thing missing is a cliched inspirational quote that sounds like it’s copied from a desk calendar.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Glassman looks like what a 62 year old low carb alcoholic should look like. He's the picture of health. I believe Rip would fall into the same category.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:59 pm Synopsis:

I lol'd at the strict pressing.
I've seen Oly guys press from a front squat rack before, but that's surely not ideal at all. It baffles my mind that top end crossift competitors can't figure that out.

The squatting in the rain seems especially stupid.
Is deadlifting really as hard as that one female human made it look? No. No it isn't. I could go into the depths of the Amazon, find a village that has never seen a white man, place a barbell upon the ground, and they would instinctively pick it up better than any CrossFitter.

"They don't squat like powerlifters."

Yeah, powerlifters use heavy weights when they squat.

I move that this thread be moved out of Strength Sports on the basis that CrossFit isn't a sport and no one in it is strong for shit.
asdf wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 pm
mbasic wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm
Yep, I posted on SS a couple years back that we have reached peak-crossfit.
"Peak CrossFit" is not the point of the article linked by Kyle.
The point is that they're well past the peak, being a dying fad marketed by charlatans and snake oil salesmen.

The point is also that they fired a third of the staff and Castro is STILL somehow employed.
Glassman is tired of the Games detracting from CrossFit's primary mission: battling chronic disease and helping the masses become more fit.
Adding chronic injury to chronic disease is not actually battling chronic disease.
Obviously polio isn't a very good excuse, since it didn't stop him from doing gymnastics. And a "serious" leg injury is likewise a poor excuse, as I've personally known two people who suffered serious leg injuries and were able to finish their college careers at a higher level of sport that Glass Man has ever sniffed. Also, a serious leg injury didn't stop Adrian Peterson.

The skinnier version of Rip without a drawl didn't lose a leg. He doesn't have an excuse.

Remember when he was challenging people to shirtless deadlifts? Someone should take his useless ass up on that.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Cody wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:16 am As for the health thing, Glassman has given lots and lots of presentations about how bad sugar is and has publicly lobbed a lot of grenades at Coke, as well as being a strong voice against gluten and advocating for specific diet interventions.

Not sure how anyone can say he hasn't been on a "public health" advocacy/tirade for years.
There's a difference between basically advocating "palaeo" diets for your gym's lifters, and having your gym appeal to the sickly and broken. The first is just part of the cult thing, it's just a more sophisticated version of GOMAD and similar nonsense. Part of any cultural group is food, sharing food at social events and excluding certain foods as "unclean", whether it's Jews excluding pork or Crossfitters excluding grains. Same shit, really.

Broadening your gym's appeal to include the sickly and broken is entirely different.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:07 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 amYou think SS is targeting a broader demographic than CrossFit? That's ridiculous.

There are more non-white CrossFitters than people who have ever heard of Starting Strength.
You are confusing someone's aim with what they actually managed to hit. SS has aimed at a broader demographic than Crossfit, it's just that SS has been a marketing fizzle and Crossfit has been a spectacular success. I talked both about aiming and about what they hit. SS has poor marketing at the top level, it tends to be more successful at the gym level.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:06 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:07 pm SS has aimed at a broader demographic than Crossfit,
What is your basis for this claim? How are you inferring the demographic "aim" of either group? CrossFit doesn't market to the sickly and the broken? Are you serious?

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:03 pm ...advocating "palaeo" diets ...is just part of the cult thing, it's just a more sophisticated version of GOMAD and similar nonsense. Part of any cultural group is food, sharing food at social events and excluding certain foods as "unclean", whether it's Jews excluding pork or Crossfitters excluding grains. Same shit, really.
CrossFit's dietary recommendation has always been:

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat."

How is that cult-like or akin to an arbitrary religious restriction? At this point, doesn't it just sound like common sense?

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 pm little starch and no sugar...doesn't it just sound like common sense?
Not really. Starch and sugar should provide 40-60% of calories.