Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

cwd

bacon causes mental illness

Post by cwd » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 am

Specifically, mania:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/me ... c_episodes

Two strong bits of evidence:

1) people admitted to a Baltimore hospital for manic episodes, when asked what they ate recently, reported 3.5x more processed meat than people admitted for other reasons, or for the general non-hospitalized population.

2) mouse experiments: mice eating a serving of beef jerky every day became overactive and slept poorly. Non-nitrate dried beef didn't cause this. Nitrates added directly to their normal food did cause it. Dose was proportional to what a human would get from one hot-dog (i.e. scaled down to mouse size).
They think it's likely the nitrates cause a change in their gut bacteria population mix, and that affects mood.

Another reason to limit how much nitrate-preserved meat you eat (bacon/ham/hotdog/bologna/jerkey/etc), besides the well-known cancer risks.

hackerhercules

Re: bacon causes mental illness

Post by hackerhercules » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Nitrosamines are created from reactions in gastric acid with many green vegetables as well, although the antioxidants are thought to limit the ultimate nitrosamine ingested this way.

Nitrosamines typically manifest in greater numbers when you cook (especially burn) bacon and other nitrate-cured meats. But they also exist in beer, fish, latex products like balloons and condoms, and are produced from burning tobacco (read: smoking) as well. Haven't heard anyone freaking out about those things. Better stop having birthday parties with baloons, eating vegetables, drinking, smoking, and fucking with protection too.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Nitrosamines are created from reactions in gastric acid with many green vegetables as well

That's why I don't eat green vegetables. Yep.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 pm

I freak out about condoms all the time

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm

hackerhercules wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 pm Nitrosamines are created from reactions in gastric acid with many green vegetables as well, although the antioxidants are thought to limit the ultimate nitrosamine ingested this way.

Nitrosamines typically manifest in greater numbers when you cook (especially burn) bacon and other nitrate-cured meats. But they also exist in beer, fish, latex products like balloons and condoms, and are produced from burning tobacco (read: smoking) as well. Haven't heard anyone freaking out about those things. Better stop having birthday parties with baloons, eating vegetables, drinking, smoking, and fucking with protection too.
This article https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.or ... d-to-know/ says about 3% of British cancers are due to preserved meat, vs 19% for smoking.

It's up to you which risks you choose of course.

Heck, I think there are people on this very forum who voluntarily bench without safeties. That practice is known to cause up to 0.000001% of all deaths per year worldwide.