Coffee

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

quikky

Re: Coffee

Post by quikky » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:39 am

@Hanley, I got a Kalita Wave 155. Still messing with it but so far using 15:1 ratio and medium (tad closer to fine) grind, and pouring at 205F. You got any extra tips or nuance for going full coffee snob with this thing?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:32 am

quikky wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:39 am Hanley, I got a Kalita Wave 155. Still messing with it but so far using 15:1 ratio and medium (tad closer to fine) grind, and pouring at 205F. You got any extra tips or nuance for going full coffee snob with this thing?
Maybe a finer grind and a smaller/slower pour? You gotta feeeeel the pour. Even though it's way more forgiving than - say - a hario...I think it's worth fussing over flow-rate and shit. I like to "ride the quasi-crema" (the paler reddish brown foamy stuff) that develops when you pour. I also use a gooseneck, slow-flow kettle.

If I'm using cheap coffee, I'll just dump water in. But I get all Zen-OCD with good beans.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:43 am

Hanley wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:32 am
quikky wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:39 am Hanley, I got a Kalita Wave 155. Still messing with it but so far using 15:1 ratio and medium (tad closer to fine) grind, and pouring at 205F. You got any extra tips or nuance for going full coffee snob with this thing?
Maybe a finer grind and a smaller/slower pour? You gotta feeeeel the pour. Even though it's way more forgiving than - say - a hario...I think it's worth fussing over flow-rate and shit. I like to "ride the quasi-crema" (the paler reddish brown foamy stuff) that develops when you pour. I also use a gooseneck, slow-flow kettle.

If I'm using cheap coffee, I'll just dump water in. But I get all Zen-OCD with good beans.
I'll experiment with a finer grind. Do you do a constant pour or pulse it?

And, yeah, slow-flow is the way to go. I was using a regular electric kettle at first and... It was very hard to control the pour and could not really make it slow and steady.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 am

quikky wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:43 amDo you do a constant pour or pulse it?
Pulse for nuance.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 am

Hanley wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 am
quikky wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:43 amDo you do a constant pour or pulse it?
Pulse for nuance.
Are you also aiming for 15:1 ratio?

cgeorgiev

Post by cgeorgiev » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:50 pm

For my Kalita 185 I use 26-30g beans and do a 2:1 bloom, then after 30 seconds I'll add 120g of water, and from there pulse 60g of water every 30 seconds until I get to 540g. Saving up for an electric burr grinder; currently using a pulse blade grinder and it comes out different every time.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:40 am

My wife got a Mr. Coffee 2 shot Espresso machine thing for Christmas. She finally opened it and set it up last night, so I tried it out today. Followed some dude's youtube video guide and made a latte with the Cafe Bustelo espresso grounds she got with it, and am surprised by how good it tastes. The machine does feel fairly cheap/plastic and I don't know how long it will last, but I'll definitely like it for something different on the weekends.

Tempted to make another latte, but this machine will be putting me at risk of looking like a post-GOMAD Phillip J Fry on his 51st cup of coffee.

Laughter95

Post by Laughter95 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:50 pm

Anyone use the Espro P3 french press? Does it produce a much cleaner cup compared to a normal Bodum French press that costs about half as much? Also wondering if the extra parts/cleaning make it a hassle.

My 5-year-old $10 Brazil Bodum french press got chipped enough such that I need to buy a new French press now.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:54 am

I got the Cuisinart pour over coffee maker for my birthday. Have no other pour over to compare it too, but really liking the coffee it's making even with bulk beans from wherever my wife keeps buying them from. Notably better coffee than the same beans and water in my percolator. I just have it on the default settings for brewing right now (hot temp, medium strength). I've got my Baratza Encore set at 25 and with the included metal filter the coffee is pretty silty for the last couple cups, so I'm going to try and go a little coarser and see if I can keep the flavor and lose some of the grounds. It came with some paper filters but I haven't tried them.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:12 am

Laughter95 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:50 pm Anyone use the Espro P3 french press? Does it produce a much cleaner cup compared to a normal Bodum French press that costs about half as much? Also wondering if the extra parts/cleaning make it a hassle.

My 5-year-old $10 Brazil Bodum french press got chipped enough such that I need to buy a new French press now.
Better late than never? My uncle has one, or something that looks very much like it. Did not taste different or have a textural difference from normal french press to me.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Sat May 29, 2021 6:15 am

murphyreedus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:54 am I got the Cuisinart pour over coffee maker for my birthday. Have no other pour over to compare it too, but really liking the coffee it's making even with bulk beans from wherever my wife keeps buying them from. Notably better coffee than the same beans and water in my percolator. I just have it on the default settings for brewing right now (hot temp, medium strength). I've got my Baratza Encore set at 25 and with the included metal filter the coffee is pretty silty for the last couple cups, so I'm going to try and go a little coarser and see if I can keep the flavor and lose some of the grounds. It came with some paper filters but I haven't tried them.

Just came here for a recommendation for something in this price range and it looks like this fits the bill. My $100 Bonavita just bit the dust and I'm looking for an upgrade.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sat May 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Stenson wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:15 am Just came here for a recommendation for something in this price range and it looks like this fits the bill. My $100 Bonavita just bit the dust and I'm looking for an upgrade.
I still like it a lot. It makes very good coffee while being as easy as any auto-drip I've used. Still haven't tried any "good" beans or messed with any of the settings.

quikky

Post by quikky » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:07 am

Anyone else try the 4-6 method of brewing (https://kurasu.kyoto/blogs/kurasu-journ ... tsu-kasuya)? Been having a lot of success with this lately. Total shift from the finer grinds I've been doing in the Kalita and with better results.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:55 am

quikky wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:07 am Anyone else try the 4-6 method of brewing (https://kurasu.kyoto/blogs/kurasu-journ ... tsu-kasuya)? Been having a lot of success with this lately. Total shift from the finer grinds I've been doing in the Kalita and with better results.
Huh. Excited to try this.

Update: absolutely fantastic cup of coffee. This will become my default fussy prep. Totally surprised by how rich, sweet and smooth the coffee tasted (with the coarse grind I figured it'd be thinner and more acidic).

quikky

Post by quikky » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:02 pm

Hanley wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:55 am
quikky wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:07 am Anyone else try the 4-6 method of brewing (https://kurasu.kyoto/blogs/kurasu-journ ... tsu-kasuya)? Been having a lot of success with this lately. Total shift from the finer grinds I've been doing in the Kalita and with better results.
Huh. Excited to try this.

Update: absolutely fantastic cup of coffee. This will become my default fussy prep. Totally surprised by how rich, sweet and smooth the coffee tasted (with the coarse grind I figured it'd be thinner and more acidic).
Glad you liked it. I was a bit skeptical at first since this involved doing the opposite of what I've read and have been doing. Namely, coarse grind instead of fine, and letting the water completely drain vs. keeping the grounds as hot as possible and not letting the water drain that much. However, my results were identical to yours: very nice full mouth feel, lots of sweetness, and also more nuance than with the finer grinds I've been using.

I have been doing the 50ml of water for the bloom so far, and have not tried the 70ml approach, that is supposed to shift the taste to more acidic.

I also use the Kalita 155 for single cups as I found the 185 to be sub-par. I only use the 185 for 2 cup brews.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:23 am

murphyreedus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:02 pm
Stenson wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:15 am Just came here for a recommendation for something in this price range and it looks like this fits the bill. My $100 Bonavita just bit the dust and I'm looking for an upgrade.
I still like it a lot. It makes very good coffee while being as easy as any auto-drip I've used. Still haven't tried any "good" beans or messed with any of the settings.
Did you get the one with the thermal carafe or the hot-plate? I bought the version with the thermal carafe, and the damn thing dripped all over the counter while pouring. Exchanged it for another, and the same thing happened. Finally returned that one and got the Oxo version instead. Was pretty unbelievable to me that they would sell a product like that.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:36 pm

Root wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:23 am

Did you get the one with the thermal carafe or the hot-plate? I bought the version with the thermal carafe, and the damn thing dripped all over the counter while pouring. Exchanged it for another, and the same thing happened. Finally returned that one and got the Oxo version instead. Was pretty unbelievable to me that they would sell a product like that.
I have the thermal carafe one. That's disappointing to hear; I've not had any problems with pouring or anything else. I am actually impressed with how easily it pours vs previous carafes I've had.

conssam

Post by conssam » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:13 am

I use the fasted but a tasty option, capsules. I have a fancy machine as well but I rarely use it since it needs more time and attention.