Body Comp + kcal/macro calculator

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

hackerhercules

Body Comp + kcal/macro calculator

Post by hackerhercules » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Being unhappy with the quality of nutritional info I've seen out there, I decided to convert a spreadsheet I was using for personal purposes into a web page. I'd love feedback on it. Tied into a website I'm working on with my buddy, and yes there are ads.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the other content on the site, it's not really targeted to our demo and I'm pretty sure some of the posts need editing; pulled from old Quora answers.

Let me know what you think of it: https://corajo.us/macrocalc/ - or the much superior http://macrocalc.me

Murelli

Re: Body Comp + kcal/macro calculator

Post by Murelli » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:09 am

Nice. I can eat 633g of carbs if I get highly active. Time to leave engineering and join construction, I guess.

Overall I find the sites really well put together and the calculations were not off what we usually see (avatar, tbab, etc.). Needs some bedazzling, but that's the easiest.

I missed the navy body fat calc doing all the job for me.

hackerhercules

Post by hackerhercules » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:57 am

Murelli wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:09 am Nice. I can eat 633g of carbs if I get highly active. Time to leave engineering and join construction, I guess.

Overall I find the sites really well put together and the calculations were not off what we usually see (avatar, tbab, etc.). Needs some bedazzling, but that's the easiest.

I missed the navy body fat calc doing all the job for me.
Thanks for taking a look at it - that carbs thing is why there are numerous warnings to sanity check the values and consider which audience you are.

I intentionally link out to TBaB, but I've never heard of Avatar, and I'd spent a lot of time looking for tools like that. I wasn't able to find a free product that provided this information out there anywhere, if anyone's aware of one I'd love to hear about it because I'm not really a fan of reproducing other peoples' content.

I'm on the fence about 'bedazzling' because I kind of like plain, 'get the job done' pages and people have different opinions on what looks good. I was intentionally going for something bland, but functional, so it loads quick and doesn't distract from the tool. Think it needs something specific?

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:55 am

Something I think may help with the sanity check:
BenM wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:21 pm So I am probably going to stop paying Avatar at some point in the near future; I may wait til early in the new year just to see what 'Avatar 2.0' is like. There just seems like not much point paying them when I'm ignoring their recommendations at the moment anyway.

But since I've been setting my own, I wanted a way to make the calculations easy, so in my spare time over the past couple of weeks I've knocked up a little calculator of my own. I hereby present for beta testing: http://setyourmacros.com/

I used jQuery mobile and have made a conscious effort to make it work well on both desktop and phones (I only have an iPhone to test with though, sorry. No idea how well it'll work on Android).

hackerhercules

Post by hackerhercules » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:39 am

Ooh, I should've looked through the forums a little better. This thing @BenM made is pretty slick. Maybe I'll link out to him as well, was thinking of putting @Ryaan's RPE calculator in a link thing somewhere as well.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 am

hackerhercules wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:39 am Ooh, I should've looked through the forums a little better. This thing @BenM made is pretty slick. Maybe I'll link out to him as well, was thinking of putting @Ryaan's RPE calculator in a link thing somewhere as well.
Yes, if you include the bodyfat calculator along with the Katch-McArdle, a link to Ben's macro splitter (with the g/kg protein guidelines that are there), I might abandon Avatar for a Favorite button of your webapp.

hackerhercules

Post by hackerhercules » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Murelli wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 am
hackerhercules wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:39 am Ooh, I should've looked through the forums a little better. This thing @BenM made is pretty slick. Maybe I'll link out to him as well, was thinking of putting @Ryaan's RPE calculator in a link thing somewhere as well.
Yes, if you include the bodyfat calculator along with the Katch-McArdle, a link to Ben's macro splitter (with the g/kg protein guidelines that are there), I might abandon Avatar for a Favorite button of your webapp.
Done. Let me know if it's what you're looking for.

@BenM let me know if you have any problems with my linking to your page, please! Operating under the assumption there won't be any, since that thread Murelli referenced is publically viewable - correct me if I'm wrong.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:09 am

Something doesn't check - right now the weight loss targets are bigger than maintenance for sedentary.

It's quite great now. I believe I'll be able to abandon Avatar, because your site is so freaking nice.

BenM

Post by BenM » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:31 am

@hackerhercules thanks, glad you like the calculator - it's pretty hacky but looks pretty thanks to jQuery mobile. No issues with linking to it at all; in fact I was thinking this morning we could consolidate all this stuff on one site/domain if it's easier. I'd always intended to add some other stuff like macro suggestions/guidelines with mine, your stuff naturally complements the calculator.

When I looked at your calculators and punched my numbers this morning they seemed pretty bang on for me, mostly. I had intended to come back here and compliment you on it, but just hadn't got back to it yet. Real nahce work.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:38 am

@mgil or whoever else, please add this stuff to the Tools.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:48 am

Nice - this is cool.

@hackerhercules , one absolutely minor thing but worth mentioning is I think there's an error on the "superior" link in the fat section - the suggested target box that appears to be calories is labeled "grams".

But I like this - thanks.

hackerhercules

Post by hackerhercules » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 am

@Murelli fixed the initial recommendations - it wasn't an error, but an assumption that Maintenance starts at BMR, Weight loss is anything below BMR, and weight gain is any value above BMR. Didn't make it clear before, but it should be now.

@nkupianist fixed that, good catch.

Gotta run to work here in a minute, otherwise I'd say nice things like "thanks for the feedback" or whatever. Short on time, I'll make up for it later :)

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Murelli wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:38 am @mgil or whoever else, please add this stuff to the Tools.
@Manveer

Viola

Post by Viola » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:15 am

Cool website. I checked it out and it matches my experience with maintenance/cutting/gaining calories fairly closely. Not currently training with high volume, so I fall under lightly active, even though I am strength training with high intensity.

The Navy bodyfat calculator has a bug for women's numbers though. Pretty sure I don't have 244% BF.

hackerhercules

Post by hackerhercules » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Viola wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:15 am Cool website. I checked it out and it matches my experience with maintenance/cutting/gaining calories fairly closely. Not currently training with high volume, so I fall under lightly active, even though I am strength training with high intensity.

The Navy bodyfat calculator has a bug for women's numbers though. Pretty sure I don't have 244% BF.
Working on resolving this ASAP. Will update you accordingly.

For the time being the Navy Calculator is disabled until I make sure the math is calculating correctly. This half-javascript function bullshit is getting pissy because of some parentheses or some log functions or some shit, it's not playing nice with me right now. Tried a bunch of things since you posted on Friday but it's just giving me hell.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:13 am

Another n=1, the targets I'm getting from the calculators align well with my actual experience

hackerhercules

Post by hackerhercules » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am

@jwilson625 thanks for adding to our calculation confidence!

@Viola would you be so kind as to check now? I think I finally sussed out the math problems (big thanks to @cgeorg for helping me with the log math problem I was having). I've run my results against like 5 other navy calculators and I'm getting consistent results across the board now.

EDIT: Made some substantial additions and adjustments. Cleaned up a lot of the instructional information so it was more succinct. Proofread everything. Added a carb calculator for the non-athletes that also breaks down stuff into percentage of total caloric choice - not super advanced but it gets the job done.

Viola

Post by Viola » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 pm

@hackerhercules It gives reasonable numbers now. Nice!

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 am

FWIW, I've unsubscribed from Avatar last week and this is my first week selfcoaching on macros. I've used both sites (HH and BenM) and an excel spreadsheet where I've put some settings for Cut, Bulk, Reverse and Maintain, based on Izzy's nutrition guidelines (How to Diet for Powerlifting). I'm going to see how I progress on this and then come back with results.

@Manveer, please stick this thread or put in the Tools. It's really really great and useful.

anniemichael

Post by anniemichael » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm

This is really cool, great job.