Landing the Whale: Beer thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Re: Landing the Whale: Beer thread

Post by Hamburgerfan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:40 am

We could always discuss his shitty taste in music and "sports".

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:00 am

DirtyRed wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 am IPAs are generally shit and taste like someone fermented grass clippings in their own urine. Really, if it isn't a lager it's probably an insult to beer.

Discuss.
DR thinks there are two options for beer- IPA and lager.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 am

Those of you that like sour beers, do you also enjoy red wine?

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:01 am

slowmotion wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 am Those of you that like sour beers, do you also enjoy red wine?
I've only tried a Lambic (can't recall which one - it was expensive), but seriously, fuck that shit. Give me a shiraz any day. Or a a hit of cheap goon with lemonade in it. Seriously, let me squeeze the juices of a scrofulous rat into my open mouth. As long as I don't need to drink a Lambic again.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 am

I dont care for red wine and love sour beers. I also dont like bitter IPA but love the juicy ones. I dont love bourbon but LOVE heavily peated scotches. I'm not sure what to make of any of that tbh.

DirtyRFed - what IPA have you tried? I hated IPAs until recently when I tried the New England style of citrusy juice bombs. Its night and day compared to the Laganitus/Goose Isalnd/Sierra Nevada mass produced, bitter nonsense.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:10 am

I dont care for red wine and love sour beers. I also dont like bitter IPA but love the juicy ones. I dont love bourbon but LOVE heavily peated scotches. I'm not sure what to make of any of that tbh.

DirtyRFed - what IPA have you tried? I hated IPAs until recently when I tried the New England style of citrusy juice bombs. Its night and day compared to the Laganitus/Goose Isalnd/Sierra Nevada mass produced, bitter nonsense.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:26 am

slowmotion wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 am Those of you that like sour beers, do you also enjoy red wine?
I like sour beer. I buy lots of sour beer- my wife loves them, so I can share with her, and I like the idea of trying to age wild beers. I will not always order a sour beer if at a bar- perhaps 20% of the time when one is available?
I don't really care about red wine. I will drink it, but the full extent of my level of discernment for red wine is "this isn't a white wine." Put three totally different red wines (like, a malbec, a... different kind... and a third kind?) in 6 glasses, and I bet not only could I not pair the two matching glasses, I probably couldn't tell any of them came from a different bottle.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:12 am

Hamburgerfan wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 pm I love anchor steam beer, but I find that it sometimes gives me a minor headache when I drink it. Anyone have a clue why that might be?
Anchor steam is fermented interestingly - I believe it is a lager yeast but fermented warmer than typical lager temperatures, in the low 60s vs around 50. This causes a bunch of ester production which is one of the 2 main characteristics of the beer, and could be a potential source of headaches. Do you have issues with Belgian styles, or weizens?

The other main part of the style is the woodsy Northern Brewer hops - the California Common style was basically written to describe Anchor Steam. Kind of how American Pale Ale initially just described Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Yep, lager yeast. Mid 60's. Nice writeup by Jamil here https://byo.com/body/item/2123-californ ... le-profile

Anchor makes some fantastic beers though, Liberty and Christmas are also great.

I think my goal is to become the Hurling of this thread.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am

Yes quite a bit. Would participate in a thread.
Shane wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:01 amI've only tried a Lambic (can't recall which one - it was expensive), but seriously, fuck that shit. Give me a shiraz any day. Or a a hit of cheap goon with lemonade in it. Seriously, let me squeeze the juices of a scrofulous rat into my open mouth. As long as I don't need to drink a Lambic again.
Was it like Raspberry-ey (Lindeman's), or just sour as all get-out? A fruit lambic is an ok introduction to sour, but a straight lambic is uh... kinda getting tossed off the edge of the pier.
TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:10 am I dont care for red wine and love sour beers. I also dont like bitter IPA but love the juicy ones. I dont love bourbon but LOVE heavily peated scotches. I'm not sure what to make of any of that tbh.

I don't think that's fair to those 3 breweries, they make fantastic beer. Despite my misgivings about the AB acquisition, even Goose Island seems to have kept their ingredient standards up (usually the first thing to go in these is ingredient quality/diversity to cut costs). And craft brewing would be much worse off had Sierra Nevada not existed.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am

cgeorg wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:12 amI think my goal is to become the Hurling of this thread.
Your post is way too on-topic to achieve this goal. Work in some completely irrelevant and uninteresting historical tidbits, then tie them into your glory days of tussling the hair of multiple assailants while also disrespecting someone who has died or lost a loved one. Try to also blame something on leftists while you're at it.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:50 am

cgeorg wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am I don't think that's fair to those 3 breweries, they make fantastic beer. Despite my misgivings about the AB acquisition, even Goose Island seems to have kept their ingredient standards up (usually the first thing to go in these is ingredient quality/diversity to cut costs). And craft brewing would be much worse off had Sierra Nevada not existed.
That might be so, but I will still do my best to avoid beer made by a macro-owned brewery.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 am

Ok. Sierra is still indie, and their recent Asheville location also included considerations for allowing other local breweries to take advantage of Sierra's volume ingredient purchasing power.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 am

cgeorg wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 am Ok. Sierra is still indie, and their recent Asheville location also included considerations for allowing other local breweries to take advantage of Sierra's volume ingredient purchasing power.
I wasn't referring to those specifically, just making a general statement. I do avoid Goose Island, though.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 am

Fair enough. I drink more Miller Lite than a craft beer fan should, but it's nigh impossible to find a decent 4% beer that's not a session IPA, and I don't always want hops. Would love if milds or bitters caught on. Helles seems like it's trying to.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:47 am

The way I look at it is this: any money I spend on macro or macro-owned beer goes toward trying to eliminate the micro brewing industry through pricing, shelf-space, advertising, lobbying for distribution restrictions, etc.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:27 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:10 am I dont care for red wine and love sour beers. I also dont like bitter IPA but love the juicy ones. I dont love bourbon but LOVE heavily peated scotches. I'm not sure what to make of any of that tbh.

I don't think that's fair to those 3 breweries, they make fantastic beer. Despite my misgivings about the AB acquisition, even Goose Island seems to have kept their ingredient standards up (usually the first thing to go in these is ingredient quality/diversity to cut costs). And craft brewing would be much worse off had Sierra Nevada not existed.
[/quote]

Cant tell you if their standards have definitely gone down but I really dont enjoy them. And Im only talking of their standard IPAs, the ones that sports bars carry and think they're cool because of it. Those 3 breweries make a ton of good stuff.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:06 pm

cgeorg wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am Was it like Raspberry-ey (Lindeman's), or just sour as all get-out? A fruit lambic is an ok introduction to sour, but a straight lambic is uh... kinda getting tossed off the edge of the pier.
Sour. Don't remember much fruitiness. I just remember this

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:10 amDirtyRFed - what IPA have you tried? I hated IPAs until recently when I tried the New England style of citrusy juice bombs. Its night and day compared to the Laganitus/Goose Isalnd/Sierra Nevada mass produced, bitter nonsense.
Some Sam Adam's Rabble Rouser IPA, which was utter shit, and Guinness Rye Pale Ale, which technically counts shut up, and wasn't as bad.

I refuse to drink fruit flavored alcohol on the grounds that I am not a sorority girl

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:29 am

DirtyRed wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm
TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:10 amDirtyRFed - what IPA have you tried? I hated IPAs until recently when I tried the New England style of citrusy juice bombs. Its night and day compared to the Laganitus/Goose Isalnd/Sierra Nevada mass produced, bitter nonsense.
Some Sam Adam's Rabble Rouser IPA, which was utter shit, and Guinness Rye Pale Ale, which technically counts shut up, and wasn't as bad.

I refuse to drink fruit flavored alcohol on the grounds that I am not a sorority girl
Why not West Sixth IPA or Country Boy Cliff Jumper?

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 am

DirtyRed wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

facepalm.gif

There'd better be a really good rant in Shitposting to make up for this.