Landing the Whale: Beer thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Landing the Whale: Beer thread

Post by Allentown » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 am

cgeorg wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:00 am Nonsense you'll be stone dead in a moment. Hmm.

Stone needs a new release. Dead in a Moment. Hey Stone, let's talk. Get in touch for my rates. That first one's on the house.
Actually, this reminds me that I haven't had anything from them in close to a year!
I have a barrel-aged Arrogant Bastard or something in the cellar from... 2016? Not sure. I need to power my way through more beer, but my BiL keeps wanting to share some of his, too.

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:09 am

I had two pints of this when I took my buddy, who pushed my resume at his work, out as a thank you.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/40149/

I thought it was god damn delicious.

The bourbon stouts are where its at, I had this too recently and it was really good

https://www.woodswholesalewine.com/prod ... tuEALw_wcB

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:51 am

I'm not a huge stout fan but I do like Brooklyn Brewery.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 am

brkriete wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:51 am I'm not a huge stout fan but I do like Brooklyn Brewery.
Have you had Founders Breakfast Stout?
I'm far from an expert, but it looks like I've logged 177 unique porters/stouts over the last few years (and I can think of about a dozen I've had since I stopped logging beer). Without a doubt, I think Breakfast Stout is the best one.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:23 pm

I don't know that I've ever not ordered Founder's Breakfast Stout at a place that had it on the menu.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Breakfast Stout is ok.

Lizard of Koz, now that's where it's at.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:53 am

TimK wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:28 pm Breakfast Stout is ok.

Lizard of Koz, now that's where it's at.
(˚Õ˚)ر ~~~~╚╩╩╝

Easily one of the 5 worst beers I've ever had. I am pretty sure my grocery store still has bottles, what, 2 years after the release? That's not a good look for a "special" release.

Jolly Pumpkin released a BBA Madrugada Obscura (sour stout) over the weekend. The regular used to be one of my favorite beers, but I haven't had it in a while, and last time I did I remember it being less exciting than it used to be. Went to the taproom, ordered a glass of the BBA, then went to the bar to buy 3 bottles of the BBA and one bottle of the regular. $15 for the 12oz bottle of the BBA. Came back to the table, took a sip, and... eh. Think I probably wasted $45. It was alright, but not mind-blowing.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:03 am

Allentown wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:53 amI am pretty sure my grocery store still has bottles, what, 2 years after the release?
Sweet! Maybe I can make them a lowball offer and snag a deal.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 am

TimK wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:03 am Sweet! Maybe I can make them a lowball offer and snag a deal.
I think it's been something like $12-$18 a bottle the whole time.

Certainly, taste is subjective. Beer distributor (or something)/photographer who did my wedding gave Lizard of Koz a 4.75/5 or something, whereas no one else I know was able to finish more than a 4oz sample. My BiL is a big Founders fanboy and he dumped half a bomber. Likewise, I have yet to meet anyone who thought Founders Barrel Runner was anything but a drain pour. I like to think my tastes are at least average, and if not then of the (yes, small) group of beer fans I know we probably average out to being average. So I wonder- did Founders pilot something like Barrel Runner, decide it was good, and thought there was a market for it? Did they put it out there as a "this is what we can do outside the envelope" release and not care that their rep might take a hit when everyone is dumping out a $20 4pk or trying to trick a drunk friend into taking a second sip?
What's worse, though, is when a truly terrible beer makes a second (or yearly!) appearance. Really, Vivant, you thought people were just joking when someone in a members-only tour yelled "MacWizard!" after someone else asked "What's the beer you most regret making?" and so you released another batch in cans the next year? No! Taking a wonderful, magical BBA Belgian quad and sticking it in scotch barrels ruined it, all the worse because it's taking a fantastic beer and making an awful one. And Shorts, please stop making Oktoberfest. Really, just stop. I accidentally included a coffee pale ale in my last tasting, and THAT did better than your Oktoberfest (OK, it had the same score- last place, with a 1/4 from every taster).

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:10 am

I take it back.
Bells' Double Cream Stout is the very best stout.
Though, I'd really like to try it next to Breakfast Stout, to be sure.

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:28 am

I went back to the bar, with same friend, got that brooklynn black ops again. Guys I really recommend trying it. I checked the beer menu again and it was $8 for a 12 ounce glass but its also 11.5% i was tipsy from that one glass and I drank it while eating fish tacos with sweet potato fries.

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:32 am

shit im looking on the website of the brewer and u cant buy the fucking beer. HOLY SHIT. WHAT WILL I DOOO

Or maybe they have it listed like bc of the name i cant tell but I want to buy a 750mL bottle, fuck

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 am

Ok so i got a little dramatic about not being able to find it. I did, it was $25 after tax for a 750 ml bottle. EXPENSIVE. Worth it though. It really is a great beer. Not bitter like a normal stout at all. Far too expensive for my current budget. I bought it and drank it during DND, I cant be doing that weekly...at least until I start my job LOL

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:23 am

Mattjd wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 am Ok so i got a little dramatic about not being able to find it. I did, it was $25 after tax for a 750 ml bottle. EXPENSIVE. Worth it though. It really is a great beer.
We don't get a ton of their beer out here, but if I make it to the store before winter ends (doubtful- my fridge is still full, I buy more than I drink...) I'll take a look.
$25 isn't awful, but it's certainly a lot. That's CBS price, and I kinda laughed to myself about how expensive THAT was. They still have a bunch of bottles of CBS at my local grocery store. And a bunch of Barrel Runner. Founders needs to offer to buy all that back from stores just so they don't have "Special Barrel Reserve" bottles sitting on shelves for >a year. It's not a great look.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Spring!
I've really been into an "abbey-style" ale recently, was a one time release from my local place that tastes somewhere between a Trappist and a dopplebock. Also saison.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:42 pm Spring!
lolwut
Allentown wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:42 pm I've really been into an "abbey-style" ale recently, was a one time release from my local place that tastes somewhere between a Trappist and a dopplebock. Also saison.
Which one is that? I've been getting into bocks lately. Any other recs?

Have you had Brother Thelonius?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:12 am

Gloaming Ponder, from Vivant. I think it was pub-only, but I can save a can for next time you are in town if you want, or if we go up I'll bring one. Any later than May 1 and it will be gone, though.

I have had Thelonios! It was in 2015 though and I didn't leave any notes. That's technically not a bock, as bocks are lagers, and don't pull as much flavor from yeast as dark Belgians.

Consecrator for a local, should be easy to find. Ayinger Celebrator, too.
If you want to include dark Belgians (they are pretty similar to me, and fit very well in the early spring drink lineup, where there are still some remaining snow piles, the wind still holds a chill, but the perennials are pushing through, the sun is shining, and sometimes you can shed the light spring jacket...) see if Jolly Pumpkin has any Noel de Calabaza sitting around, or if you want to drop some money look for a Beast Grand Cru from Avery. That last one- see if you can find one that's hung out for a year or two, and plan on splitting a 12oz. The 2016 release was almost 17% abv.

Now a cautionary tale: shortly after I turned 21 and I actually had access to more than Bud & Labatt, I found a 4pk of Lion Imperial Stout at World Market. It was cheaper per ABV than anything else, so that became my go-to beer.
(14 years, but who's counting)
I am shopping for my coffee/milk stout tastings this past winter, and I see Lion Coffee Stout. It remains as the last stout of the year, mid-March, I don't even bother tasting it blind since there is no possible mystery.
One sip, it gets dumped.
It's like "Shorts Brewing attempts a Stout" levels of bad. No, worse. Terrible. Awful.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:39 am

Alpine Pitcher Perfect is one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Nice balanced bitterness, not over the top. Lots of tropical stuff going on - grapefruit, mango. Nummers.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 am

I'm travelling to Germany next week for work.. Anybody have any recommendations for beers to try? Who are our resident Germans around here?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:51 am

Root wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 am I'm travelling to Germany next week for work.. Anybody have any recommendations for beers to try? Who are our resident Germans around here?
@mettkeks has wrong strong opinions about German beer.