Who is on a cut?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Who is on a cut?

Post by Allentown » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:13 am

Allentown wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:14 pm Deficit too big, triggering starvation mode and weight stall? Not sure if that is a real thing.

TheGloriousW

Post by TheGloriousW » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:07 am

Maybe one day I won't be cutting anymore. Maybe.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:33 pm

Well, the plan at this point is to maintain 2,550 calories a day, which should be the low end of maintenance for 196lbs.
This to get down into the -90kg class for the new(old) USAPL weight class.
I'm currently around 201lbs daytime, so it's not much of a cut, and i'm not in a hurry.
I have a lot of training already mapped out for 2022, so i'm hoping this modest approach will allow me to do well with that.

I plan on doing one meet at -90kg to snag top 5 all years USAPL M3a in that class, then i'll continue as a very light -100kg and work my way up those rankings, as #4 in the -90s is not realistic to target at this point.

I've always been light for the 93s, so cutting never had a hard reason behind it.
The new class should make sticking to it easier.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:49 am

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:33 pm I've always been light for the 93s, so cutting never had a hard reason behind it.
The new class should make sticking to it easier.
This is turning out to be true.

Having a very specific number to hit everyday for a very specific reason has kind of gameified the process.
Enthusiasm is high.
Not trying to do a large deficit is helping too.
Late summer is the earliest i will be doing a meet, and that time frame is another thing making this a better approach.

198lbs this morning.
I want to be solidly below 90kg/198.4lb at daytime measuring before going to maintenance.
196 daytime probably equates to 194 AM weight.

I don't expect to not be able to do the training i have mapped out.
It would be nice to get to the target before the second blocks begin though.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:45 am

This is going amazingly well.
196.5 lbs this morning
Got to daytime hydrated weight under 200 yesterday.
End of day, so not the high point, but still a nice marker.
It hasn't even been two weeks.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:05 am

@Wilhelm that is the definition of a mini-cut.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:41 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:05 am @ Wilhelm that is the definition of a mini-cut.
Started yesterday dropping down to 2,400 calories.
That should be maintenance for 185lbs.
Not sure i'll go that low, but i think 190 should be fine for my lifts still.
If things are going well then, perhaps i'll continue.

I'm starting to think i may just stay in the -90kg class for more than one meet.
The fellows doing most of the meets here now (New state chair and his friend) have announced medals for
top 3 "heavyweights" by which they mean -90kg and up, and then for the lightweights too.

Their meets started out only top 3 overall.
Fewer heavyweights show up, and depending on that, i could possibly compete head to head with younger lifters for a bronze.
That would be cool if there are more than 3 guys lol.

My DOTS points will be better if i can maintain/improve my lifts at 190lbs.

In any case, i am MUCH more engaged in this process now that's it's actually tied to something meaningfull for me.
Might just end up looking better as a side effect.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:48 pm

@Wilhelm I don't think it will be too hard for you to stay under 90 kg. A little leaner but not much of a challenge. I will be under 90 kg for awhile, but I may drift higher than that. 100 kg could be a nice ceiling for me. 105 kg was a bridge too far.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:06 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:48 pm @ Wilhelm I don't think it will be too hard for you to stay under 90 kg. A little leaner but not much of a challenge. I will be under 90 kg for awhile, but I may drift higher than that. 100 kg could be a nice ceiling for me. 105 kg was a bridge too far.
Even if i go up into the -100s, i would still be just like i am now, right around 200lbs.
I could easily advance my ranking even then.
Being a pretty light -90 could be interesting in a different way though.

It's nice to be in a position to easily do one or the other.
At first i was disppointed the 93s were going away, but now it just seems fun.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:00 pm

Decided I need to address the elephant in the room when it comes to my training: diet. Specifically, I was never good at proper bulking. My bulks in the past have been inconsistent, where weeks would go by without weight gain, or too aggressive, where I would gain too fast. This would either cause progress to stall, or for body fat to get to a limit level and I'd go on a cut.

This time I've finally decided I'm going to count my calories, especially during bulks so I can gain weight slowly and consistently. Before doing so I'm going on a deeper than normal cut to lower my bulk fat limit so that I am leaner on average at all times.

I used to make 35.5-36" waist the limit, and I'd like to make that 34". I'd also like to start bulks from 32" or so. Waist measurements are a bit interesting for me because I am much leaner above the belly button than below, and my waist size at belly button level or just an inch below can be off by over an inch, depending on fat levels. I am now just measuring below the belly button, i.e. the fattest part, because that seems the most consistent and the most rapidly changing. It is now at about 34.25" while I'm close to 33" at the belly button.

Long story short, also doing a cut. Started at about 203lbs, currently down to about 191lbs. Guessing around 185lbs will be a good spot. Then slow bulk to 34", which will hopefully take a while.

And, yeah, I'm definitely not an adult male anymore.

@Allentown, seems like we're still fat loss twins. My weight to waist ratio is right around 4.25lb/inch.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:10 am

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:00 pm Decided I need to address the elephant in the room when it comes to my training: diet. Specifically, I was never good at proper bulking. My bulks in the past have been inconsistent, where weeks would go by without weight gain, or too aggressive, where I would gain too fast. This would either cause progress to stall, or for body fat to get to a limit level and I'd go on a cut.

This time I've finally decided I'm going to count my calories, especially during bulks so I can gain weight slowly and consistently. Before doing so I'm going on a deeper than normal cut to lower my bulk fat limit so that I am leaner on average at all times.

I used to make 35.5-36" waist the limit, and I'd like to make that 34". I'd also like to start bulks from 32" or so. Waist measurements are a bit interesting for me because I am much leaner above the belly button than below, and my waist size at belly button level or just an inch below can be off by over an inch, depending on fat levels. I am now just measuring below the belly button, i.e. the fattest part, because that seems the most consistent and the most rapidly changing. It is now at about 34.25" while I'm close to 33" at the belly button.

Long story short, also doing a cut. Started at about 203lbs, currently down to about 191lbs. Guessing around 185lbs will be a good spot. Then slow bulk to 34", which will hopefully take a while.

@Allentown, seems like we're still fat loss twins. My weight to waist ratio is right around 4.25lb/inch.
BW is at 209.4 weekly average, though I did apparently forget to enter my weight Sunday. Waist still about 35.5, I can get it to 34.5 sucking things in and over 36 pushing out, but I'm going to go with the 35.5. I'm supposed to be bulking though, lol

quikky

Post by quikky » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:26 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:10 am
quikky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:00 pm Decided I need to address the elephant in the room when it comes to my training: diet. Specifically, I was never good at proper bulking. My bulks in the past have been inconsistent, where weeks would go by without weight gain, or too aggressive, where I would gain too fast. This would either cause progress to stall, or for body fat to get to a limit level and I'd go on a cut.

BW is at 209.4 weekly average, though I did apparently forget to enter my weight Sunday. Waist still about 35.5, I can get it to 34.5 sucking things in and over 36 pushing out, but I'm going to go with the 35.5. I'm supposed to be bulking though, lol
I think the "correct" way to measure is to stand up straight and relax your abs, i.e. don't flex, suck in, or push out.

I am looking forward to doing a better controlled bulk than before. Going to aim for about a 250 cal/day surplus and see how that goes. I will probably be starting at around 185lbs, which will be the lightest bodyweight in years.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 pm

198lbs at two points during the day today.

Been 196lbs three days ina row AM weight, so tomorrow may be the day i see 195.
I'd like to see 193 daytime weight before going to maintenance+ (probably 190lb AM)
So about the same 5lb cushion i had in the 93kg class.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:01 am

@JohnHelton

What is the lowest sustained daily calories you've done withough significant reduction in loading and or volume for your training?
Also, do you have a good fix on your grams protein per lb bodyweight?

I've lowered my protein intake some.
Around 2,250 calories has been fine so far for me with my scheduled training.

I'm actually wanting to find how low i can go with protein and see no change in normal progress, but i'm not ready to try anything too drastic.
I'm going to hold steady at .67g/lb, and i don't count the 20ish+ grams from peanut butter as it's not "high quality"

I'm impatient, so will be doing 2k calories these two rest days
Hit 195.5lbs am weight today.
198 at a few points in each day now as well.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:13 am

@Wilhelm I have historical cut at around 2200-2300, with some dips to 2000, but at that level I get real hungry. Regarding protein, I look at 150g as a minimum, but that includes all sources. Remember that higher quality can make up for some lower quality given the leucine in the higher quality stuff. I also try to up my step count when cutting. It is very effective for moving you along.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:18 am

JohnHelton wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:13 am @ Wilhelm I have historical cut at around 2200-2300, with some dips to 2000, but at that level I get real hungry. Regarding protein, I look at 150g as a minimum, but that includes all sources. Remember that higher quality can make up for some lower quality given the leucine in the higher quality stuff. I also try to up my step count when cutting. It is very effective for moving you along.
That's right where i am in all cases.

130g net from whey
Low 160s total
I times concentrate by .74 because i'm fairly sure the 80% isn't really accurate.

I can promise you my step count isn't going anywhere.
Much like myself.
I'll have to make do lol
If we get some good snowfall i'll get some activity in.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:23 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:18 am I can promise you my step count isn't going anywhere.
Much like myself.
I'll have to make do lol
If we get some good snowfall i'll get some activity in.
You can just pace around the house for 5-10 minutes per hour. You just don't want your NEAT to take too big of a drop with the lack of calories.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:30 am

I am back on my dips and pullups now my neck is feeling better, so off days aren't completely off

Turned my head to check the camera when i was in my arch. So dumb.

Have to bring pellets up from the basement.
But i can probably manage more minutes.
Laundry today lol

Thanks. : )

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:37 am

Did 2,100 calories three days running.
Got a nice increase in rate of loss, and could make the -90kg class tomorrow if needed.
195lb AM weight two days in a row.

That degree of deficit isn't sustainable for my planned training load, so i'm coming back up to 2,500 cals.
That should lead to a 193lb daytime weight eventually, and i'm in no hurry, since i won't do a meet until late summer at the earliest.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Losing strength sucks.
Got my 248.5lb paused bench single today, but only just.
Def lost a bit off the top on a deep deficit.

New plan, since this is all based on the new USAPL weight classes anyway.

I'm already at 198lbs daytime weight, so could make weight tomorrow if i had to for -90kg
I'm going to eat just below the middle range of maintennce for 198lbs, so 13.5 calories per lb = 2673
I'll eat between 2,500 and 2,700 per day, and make choices between the -90kg and -100kg classes before any given meet.