Too weak to OHP bar. No dumbbells. How to?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Root
Grillmaster

Too weak to OHP bar. No dumbbells. How to?

Post by Root » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:29 am

GF has shown some interest in training with me, and I'm trying to figure out the best way for her to progress towards pressing the empty (men's) bar. So far, she's held plates in her hands, putting her thumbs through the holes with wrist wraps to cushion the edges. It's working ok, but is kind of a pain. Anybody know of a way to rig up a couple small plates to 1) stay together and 2) be easier to grip for the purpose of pressing overhead?

Yes, a women's bar or adjustable dumbbells would solve this, but I don't want to make a big purchase right now.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re: Too weak to OHP bar. No dumbbells. How to?

Post by Cody » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am

Get some 1.9" o.d. schedule 40 pipe and some collar clamps. You can use it for any fat bar work, too. Or, fill some pvc pipe with cement in different diameters.

Also, what's your definition of "big purchase?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:25 am

Cody wrote:Also, what's your definition of "big purchase?
More than the cost of two pastrami sandwiches.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 am

Manveer wrote:
^ let's go ahead and use this definition.

I'm really just looking for the easiest way for her to hold a couple plates in each hand on a temporary basis. She should be getting to the empty bar soon enough.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am

Can you get some of those cheap concrete weights and a bar from a garage sale? Craigslist? I bet a lot of people would give those away if you picked them up.

Otherwise, yeah, pipe or a wooden dowel or something.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 am

Root wrote:
Manveer wrote:
^ let's go ahead and use this definition.

I'm really just looking for the easiest way for her to hold a couple plates in each hand on a temporary basis. She should be getting to the empty bar soon enough.
Get a barbell long PVC pipe and use it like a barbell. Put a screw as a stopper where the collars would be.

strega

Post by strega » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 pm

I would think some sort of rope and knot system would work. I'm just having a hard time envisioning something that does not have the plates swinging into the arms.

Or this so you don't have to deal with the holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvqA1SPt0Rg

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:46 am

Murelli wrote: Get a barbell long PVC pipe and use it like a barbell. Put a screw as a stopper where the collars would be.
This is probably the best. A 2" PVC pipe can probably support 20-30lbs on the ends, especially if you get one just a hair longer than your uprights- the weights will be inside the uprights, but all that really matters is that the weights are outside where she would grip the bar. The thicker width will make it more challenging to press than a regular bar, but it's just a bridging method to get up to 45lbs. Get her bench up by 10-15lbs, progress the PVC press up to ~30x6 or something, and she can probably press the bar at least twice.

Assuming she can start here:
15x5x3
just add sets/reps/weight up to 30 or 40lbs. Once she can press the bar for two, if necessary, just do 45x2, then go back to the PCV for 30x6x3 or something.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:26 am

Do you have access to an ez curl bar? I've trained a few women that couldn't OHP 45#. I used the EZ curl bar or a 10# bar we have that takes the 1" hole plates. I think you could get one of those small bars at Walmart pretty cheap. Just get enough plates to load it up to 45#. After that she graduates to the big bar. And you may need to use it again in the future if you train another client.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:35 am

I got my wife an el cheapo 1" bar ($15-25) from either Wal Mart or Academy Sports. Weighs around 15lb, and the diameter is small so I used clamps to keep 2" weights from moving around on it. My wife used this setup for a couple months till she was able to press a regular barbell.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:43 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. We were training last night and found out that she can indeed press the empty bar for at least 3 or 4 reps. So I think we're all good.

OCG

Post by OCG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 am

You can get 5 or 6 foot "standard" bars that are 5-10kg.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:17 am

Nikipedia wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:31 am I know you said you're good to go now, but let me share my thoughts, because people keep asking me whether I lift with a women's bar. I don't think a women's bar would be a wise investment for your wife or for most people facing this challenge. I've only seen them in the form of olympic bars. Female powerlifters of course use the regular barbell, however. A thinner (I assume bearing) barbell would perform differently to a 28-30mm barbell with bushings. Apart from that, the 5kg in difference in weight might not cut it for someone who is not strong enough for a 20kg bar. A junior's bar of 9/10kg would be more suited here, I believe. Or even a cheap threaded 30mm bar like you can get them online.
For general strength training purposes, I don't think it matters if you use a 15kg or 20kg bar. Whip will come into play, but if it's possible to use the 15kg for upper body lifts but not the 20kg, I would say use the 15. You're right though that in powerlifting (depending on the federation) women have to use 20kg power bars-- usually 28-29mm in diameter. But for the general strength trainee, I would say it probably doesn't matter too much.

I think that the point about 5kg weight difference not being enough is more of a concern for a general strength trainee. There's even 15lb bars out there, or the Jrs 10kg bar.