Equipment: The Euro Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

KOTJ
Superstar

Equipment: The Euro Thread

Post by KOTJ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 am

Since some of you are in the UK and other parts of Europe, what are you best options for equipment?

Please list your area too.

DeriHughes

Re: Equipment: The Euro Thread

Post by DeriHughes » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 am

I've basically bought all my stuff from:
- Cheap but ok stuff - strengthshop.co.uk (plates, bands, pull-up rig)
- Decent stuff - Rogue.eu, ships from Finland to the UK (S2 squat stands and a few bits and pieces)
- B&R bar - shipped from Rogue in the US
- SBD belt - direct from SBD
- Slingshot & Gangsta wraps - direct from Improve Your Bench

Pullum Sports has expensive, high quality kit. Savage Strength is also ok I think.

For bespoke kit I would go to either kustomkitgymequipment.com or Rebel Strength (esp. for strongman gear). Both run by good guys.

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Post by unruhschuh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 am

For stuff from INZER we have https://www.inzershop.de/.
I bought a belt and wrist wraps from them.

They also have Eleiko bars and plates and adidas and Nike lifting shoes.

If you desperately need to get rid of 3600,- they have this.

Rory

Post by Rory » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Guys,

I wanted to get your thoughts on a budget squat rack for a workplace gym.

If it were for my home gym I would definitely spend more, but the criteria for this piece of equipment is:-

- Ideally stable enough without needing to be bolted down
- Spotter arms and ability to squat novice to intermediate weights (Based on the population likely to use it, there will be no monster lifts performed out of this thing)
- Pull up attachment
- Sub £400 spend, ideally

At present there is actually a full cage in the gym but it is an incredibly rickety and aged Chinese made piece of equipment which just feels hazardous.

I was thinking of one of two possibilities:-

1. Power Mark half rack

This looks similar to a Pullum half rack I have (not in the work gym). I know the Pullum build quality is likely to be a lot better and could be swaying me, so can anyone tell me if they've used a Power Mark like this and what they think of it?

The second possibility:-

2. Local metal fabricator pull up / squat stands set up with spotter arms

Basically a copy of the Rogue SML-2 design except with a single bar across the top and also thinner gauge materials and wider hole spacing. Image

Fabricated locally. I have a free standing pull up bar in my back garden which is basically this minus the spotter arms. It's very stable, build quality is excellent. It would probably cost about £330 AFAIK. But it's obviously very bare bones. I would be comfortable squatting in it but don't know whether the half rack might get a bit more love from casual trainees.

I considered some other options like the Riot Multi Station from Strength Shop UK but it looks like it would just be a more expensive version of the locally fabricated set up. An actual SML-2 seems like it costs a fortune. I know there are also cheap full racks out there but I wonder if they would just be what we currently have all over again.

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:23 am

Absolute Performance are UK distributors for Legend & Werksan. I got my rack and flooring from them.

Gymrevolution stock ATX equipment - got my bench and Ram Bar from them. They also do ATX racks which seem pretty awesome and a cheaper line of racks & benches called Barbarian. They have a show room/gym near Bristol (Eddie Hall opened it).

Zuluglove do belts that a few people have posted their support for on StSt and other forums (and I'm happy with mine)

I've had a pair of shoes from Pullums for over 10 years and love them but I haven't used them for anything else.

Also used Strengthshop for deadlift shoes and mini jack - happy with their service.

Got wrist wraps from SBD - prompt service and good quality.

BassPlayer

Post by BassPlayer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:42 pm

I have been trying to help my sister in law in germany find equipment for training. She has ordered some things from strengthshop.de. Anyone have any thoughts on a simple 3" leather belt?

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 pm

https://mobilitytools.co.uk/shop/belts/ ... ting-belt/

Can't vouch for the quality as I didn't buy from them but Stuart was helpful via email when I was making enquiries.

You may also be able to get some of their other belts in 3 inch (or other widths). When I was in contact with them they weren't advertising a 3inch option but said they could do it on request. I don't know if that applies their other belts.

BassPlayer

Post by BassPlayer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks @RobUK, I will pass that along.

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Post by unruhschuh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:18 am

BassPlayer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:42 pm I have been trying to help my sister in law in germany find equipment for training. She has ordered some things from strengthshop.de. Anyone have any thoughts on a simple 3" leather belt?
I've got a general leathercraft 3" belt. Never used it because it doesn't feel comfortable to me. Would sell.

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:41 am

I have just found out that absolute performance, who I mentioned above, are now the official distributors for American Barbell in UK & Ireland.

So a) just letting everyone know and b) am now in a quandary as I was after a stainless steel bar and the 3 best for a mid range budget appear to be by far Rogue OHP, Vulcan Absolute and the AB Elite Power Bar. But as per discussion in the OB v OHP thread apparently the Elite bar knurl is very mild.

@Cody - mind if I ask how big a deal you think this is? I know it's a bit of a stupid question as it's personal feel! The garage gym review chap commented below the line as follows:

American Barbell knurl is consistent from bar to bar, and while it’s milder than the Rogue bars it’s still a better knurl than the average gym bar – like the crap you’d use in a Gold’s or 24Hour. Chalk always helps, but honestly it’s not going to be too mild unless you’d deadlifting a ton of weight – doesn’t even matter on the bench or squats. Only those who truly prefer an aggro knurl would take issue with an AB bar I think

I'm only deadlifting 200kg for a 1RM (hopefully when I test soon!), hopefully that will go up but I am thinking I can always use my current Ram Bar for deadlifting if it proves to be a real issue - which is also 28.5mm v 29mm which is nice for my small hands - and it probably doesn't matter for squats and bench. And it's such a nice bar and there are no real alternatives at the mo!

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:42 am

On a separate note I bought a SBD belt a couple of weeks ago - absolutely love it. Seems like a no-brainer for any Euro folk who don't want customisation. I say Euro folk because the price versus importing through the US is more attractive whereas for those in the US it's a lot steeper comparatively (I assume).

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 am

@RobUK Knurl is a super individual preference. That said, I wouldn't call their knurl ideal for circa max work on the powerlifts, but super awesome for volume work. It's like a more refined version of the OB-86B for those who are familiar with it. I know folks who have worked in the 600 range with it, so it's definitely fine for it, Just, as I said, probably not ideal.

Was that clear or do you want me to be specific about anything?

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:56 am

Cody wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 am @RobUK Knurl is a super individual preference. That said, I wouldn't call their knurl ideal for circa max work on the powerlifts, but super awesome for volume work. It's like a more refined version of the OB-86B for those who are familiar with it. I know folks who have worked in the 600 range with it, so it's definitely fine for it, Just, as I said, probably not ideal.

Was that clear or do you want me to be specific about anything?
No, that's fine and thanks, appreciate the comments.

I can get a 15% discount if I wait until they are shipping a bunch of stuff over from the states that brings the total price to £330 including tax. That's a ridiculously good price for a top quality stainless steel bar (only £60 more than my ATX Ram Bar, which is black oxide, and £40 less than a standard OHP). A few days ago I would have paid substantially more than that and was frustrated that this one, the Vulcan and the SS OHP were not available. Now one of them is but I have to figure out whether I'll be disappointed with the knurling - argghghg! :D

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:57 am

So... I pulled the trigger on the AB Elite Power Bar because it just looks too beautiful! And I figure the knurling would likely only be an issue for deads and I can stick with my Ram Bar for those. I really need to stop there though, I bought a frickin chalk bowl for £50 the other day FFS!

If anyone in the UK fancies an AB Elite Power Bar there is a shipment in 2 weeks, delivery is £10 on top of the price of the bar (not sure if it differs if you live further afield than Surrey).

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Pioneer Fitness now has international shipping for $45 flat rate.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:48 am

Has Mirafit been mentioned here?
The 350kg powercage says 2mm steel, afaik, that's 11 gauge. It's 12 guage. Still decent.
2.3 mm appears to be 11 gauge.
https://www.mirafit.co.uk/strength-equi ... racks.html
Last edited by Wilhelm on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rory

Post by Rory » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:31 am

What's the consensus on the quality of Strength Shop's current Riot range of cages and benches?

I have bought a lot of stuff from SS over the years and the kettlebells and smaller items were generally good to very good value for money. When I have had issues the customer service has generally been excellent... When it's not worth shipping something back they have refunded me some or all of what I have paid.

The most recent thing I bought for a work gym was a pair of benches, one of them adjustable. The adjustable one was heavy in terms of feeling like a quality item for the price, but I noticed that the tolerances were such that it was pretty askew when set up. I remedied it by correcting by inserting some metal spacers at a key point myself, but when I contacted SS they were basically going to recommend returning it and they would replace it no questions asked. I can understand, based on their model, that that's the most economical way for them to handle it, but equally I don't really like ordering stuff knowing that there's a decent chance I'm going to get a lemon that I'll have to send back to go again for another try.

At any rate: Their cages... Not cheap, and apparently quite well designed, a lot of features someone might want. But does anyone have any experience of what they're like in terms of quality. If they're Chinese imports, are they actually very good for the money, or is it worth paying more and going with the likes of Pullum, Rogue Europe etc who are markedly more expensive.

I have a shed in the works that has a 2.4 m / 7 ft 10 inch ceiling and I was considering something like the Garage Cage that SS offer, curious if anyone has any specific experience of it also. https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/equipmen ... -cage.html
Last edited by Rory on Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:11 pm

I have similar views on SS so went elsewhere with my big ticket items. Great place for smaller stuff and good value for money.

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:39 am

The Bulldog bar, made in the UK etc.

https://www.bulldoggear.eu/products/the ... ng-barbell

Anyone got any experience of this bar? I've got no reason to disbelieve the claims made that it is manufactured in house and so on, but I must admit I'm surprised, would have thought the price point would have had to have been higher for the specs.

Rory

Post by Rory » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:01 am

Anyone see any really good 2019 Black Friday plate deals yet?

Rogue Europe are offering hundo pricing. So a 140kg plate set plus 90kg plate set would ordinarily be €1345 and instead it’s €1105 – free shipping.

Compared to the US it's pretty crappy.

I'm waiting to see if Pullum do a deal on plates...