HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EXODUS STRENGTH!

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EXODUS STRENGTH!

Post by d0uevenlift » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:28 pm

I didn't even realize it had been a year already until I woke up to an email telling me to renew the domain name. So here we are. The forums didn't officially open up until around September 13, but it was already in existence before that.

Some of you are probably wondering where I've been, or who I am, since I'm not super active on the forums. Well, I'm one of a number of people who got this site going, and I never thought it would be as big as it is now.

There's no dancing around the fact that we started because a number of us were banned from or fed up with the Starting Strength forums. The idea to start our own forum actually came about when @Manveer and I were having AYCE Japanese BBQ this time last year. We shared some s'mores over a fire, too.

That day, we chatted with @mgil @Cody @KOTJ @KDW about getting things going. Later, @Chebass88 @chromoly and @unruhschuh helped get things in order. The site wouldn't have been possible without this group of people working together and offering their time, resources and skills to making this thing work.

I set up the site, but had little to no idea what I was doing, and spent most of my time Googling basic shit. We ran into a lot of tech issues, and at one point we were shut down by the host because of bots crawling the site and making a million requests. Thankfully, @unruhschuh helped us with his coding wizardry and the forum runs well now.

Cody designed the logo you see on the forum, our t-shirts, IG account, etc. Nanette had the t-shirts made and shipped to help cover the hosting and upkeep costs over the year.

During the first few weeks, we were trying to get people to join the site. Some were apathetic and figured they'd sign up even if they never posted, others were excited to get away from the other place. And many were reluctant to join at first, thinking it was just going to be more of the same crap. It was a rough start, but here we are with over 500 members!

Over the past year, we've had Q&As with Mike Tuchscherer, Brian Minor, and more. We've also had lots of cool giveaways, an online meet, and our very own @TwoFoursStrohm helped design a new Pioneer belt.

Anyway, I don't want to keep rambling on. Thank you to everyone who has helped us out, participated, got the word out, and just made this a cool place overall for the like-minded and dissenters. Here's to many more years of gainz!

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EXODUS STRENGTH!

Post by Cody » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Hear, hear! Freedom to discuss all variety of training, no god figure, and finally a proper equipment forum. It might not be perfect, but it's ours (and by that I mean every person who posts here).

quark

Post by quark » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:46 pm

You've done a beautiful thing.

Thanks!

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks for the bit of back story, @d0uevenlift. And thanks to the other founders/contributors.

I like it here.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks to all of the folks contributing and keeping logs. It’s fantastic. We will continue to put together projects as time allows.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Cody wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 pm Hear, hear! Freedom to discuss all variety of training, no god figure, and finally a proper equipment forum. It might not be perfect, but it's ours (and by that I mean every person who posts here).
Yes, but the equipment forum here has fueled my GAS and I barely even lift. Lol.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Paysite is coming motherfuckers.

*Crassed*

This is my last post.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in putting this together, and everyone who's contributed to all of the discussions. Except Niki.

since this is not shitposting I will clarify that I do in fact thank Niki

though I will have to loosen the definition of "contributed" to fit her in

torkins

Post by torkins » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:21 pm

How is the site actually funded beyond what the t-shirts provide? Should slackers like me be pitching in?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:50 pm

I think we’re good from the last t-shirt run.

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:16 pm

I joined for the noodz @mgil promised. Have not been disappointed.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 am

torkins wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:21 pm How is the site actually funded beyond what the t-shirts provide? Should slackers like me be pitching in?
Yes to the shirt runs. When we very first started we took donations for a week or two. That was really cool to see people be so generous for a project that might or might not have been successful. We sent shirts out for free to the top few donors, and I'm pretty sure we did discounted shirt pricing if you donated, but I could be misremembering the past part.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 am

Happy birthday and congratulations on successfully building the community. Here's to the next year!

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:04 am

torkins wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:21 pm How is the site actually funded beyond what the t-shirts provide? Should slackers like me be pitching in?
Calendar. Think "fireman calendar" except it's all screencaps from WTFGilchrest's Instagram.

Everyone who made this happen- my sanity (but probably not my work) thanks you. Where else would I unload thousands of useless thoughts?

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:05 am

Thanks for the backstory! I always wondered how exactly it went down. This forum drew some great folks.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:09 am

This place is awesome. I don't post much because of a no cell phone policy at work but I def browse when not st my desk. So much good info. Thanks to all the mods and happy birfday.

Also, when we getting booty shorts?

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:49 am

@KOTJ brought me over to this place one night when he was sliding in to my DM's. I am thankful for that, because I'm here now. Thank you.

sklunk

Post by sklunk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:05 am

Congratulations and thank you. This place has been infinitely more helpful to me as a lurker than StSt ever was, and has a much better atmosphere/attitude.

OCG

Post by OCG » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 am

d0uevenlift wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:28 pm I didn't even realize it had been a year already until I woke up to an email telling me to renew the domain name. So here we are. The forums didn't officially open up until around September 13, but it was already in existence before that.

Some of you are probably wondering where I've been, or who I am, since I'm not super active on the forums. Well, I'm one of a number of people who got this site going, and I never thought it would be as big as it is now.

There's no dancing around the fact that we started because a number of us were banned from or fed up with the Starting Strength forums. The idea to start our own forum actually came about when @Manveer and I were having AYCE Japanese BBQ this time last year. We shared some s'mores over a fire, too.

That day, we chatted with @mgil @Cody @KOTJ @KDW about getting things going. Later, @Chebass88 @chromoly and @unruhschuh helped get things in order. The site wouldn't have been possible without this group of people working together and offering their time, resources and skills to making this thing work.

I set up the site, but had little to no idea what I was doing, and spent most of my time Googling basic shit. We ran into a lot of tech issues, and at one point we were shut down by the host because of bots crawling the site and making a million requests. Thankfully, @unruhschuh helped us with his coding wizardry and the forum runs well now.

Cody designed the logo you see on the forum, our t-shirts, IG account, etc. Nanette had the t-shirts made and shipped to help cover the hosting and upkeep costs over the year.

During the first few weeks, we were trying to get people to join the site. Some were apathetic and figured they'd sign up even if they never posted, others were excited to get away from the other place. And many were reluctant to join at first, thinking it was just going to be more of the same crap. It was a rough start, but here we are with over 500 members!

Over the past year, we've had Q&As with Mike Tuchscherer, Brian Minor, and more. We've also had lots of cool giveaways, an online meet, and our very own @TwoFoursStrohm helped design a new Pioneer belt.

Anyway, I don't want to keep rambling on. Thank you to everyone who has helped us out, participated, got the word out, and just made this a cool place overall for the like-minded and dissenters. Here's to many more years of gainz!
And?

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:06 pm

OCG wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 am
d0uevenlift wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:28 pm I didn't even realize it had been a year already until I woke up to an email telling me to renew the domain name. So here we are. The forums didn't officially open up until around September 13, but it was already in existence before that.

And?
And that's it! Thanks for being a part of this community!
Last edited by d0uevenlift on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.