Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

iamsmu

Re: Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Post by iamsmu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:24 am

The normal Cap hex bar won't hold enough bumpers to go heavy, so I had to buy the Cap Mega. I put racket tape on the handles after the first set. The knurling is the same as the normal hex.

The Mega is much thicker and weighs more than the normal hex. The normal cap weighs 50.5 and is close to 29 mm. The Mega weighs 73 lbs (though I hear the weight varies bar to bar) and is probably 32 mm. The sleeves are about 13" rather than the 9" or whatever the normal has. The mega is a huge pain to move around. I'm not sure where I'll store it. It just leans against a wall in the garage for now. . . . . Probably stuck with this one forever. Can't ever see being able to justify an upgrade.

TheFlush

Post by TheFlush » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:37 am

The kickstand for easier plate loading and 1000 pound capacity make the York Int'l Multi Hex Deadlift/Shrug Bar interesting. Sold out at York for $225, $349 at Buckeye Fitness.

https://buckeyefitness.com/york-intl-mu ... shrug-bar/
https://yorkbarbell.com/product/multi-h ... shrug-bar/

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:06 am

Looks cool. They need to make some rebar caps for it. It might be easier to just hollow out a couple hand carved wooden pickles and put them on the kickstands. I worry that someone might fall on it and get an awful poke otherwise.

If only I had photoshop on this chromebook. . . .
Last edited by iamsmu on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Has anyone tried trap bar jumps? I saw them mentioned in the comments on a Nuckols article on trap bar deadlifts. I can see these going wrong in so many ways, but I haven't tried them.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap- ... ment-61107

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:11 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:56 pm Has anyone tried trap bar jumps? I saw them mentioned in the comments on a Nuckols article on trap bar deadlifts. I can see these going wrong in so many ways, but I haven't tried them.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap- ... ment-61107

Hey, that's that bro who briefly posted that massages to your temples/neck/skull a certain way would lead to all kinds of subsequent glute activation or neural something-something-something.

I have done trap bar jumps, with rubber bumpers though.

Yeah, you can land and let the plates slam into the ground, so its not near the ballistic landing that a loaded BB jump-squat is.

And being that you are doing the jumping part loaded, and you are eliminating the arm swing, you really can't jump high,
so you are really not landing from that high up. It's like landing a small hop.

The action of returning the Trap-bar to ground like that almost forces you to lengthen the ROM in your landing kinematics....making you exaggerate the landing part, which is a good thing.

It takes some coordination at first, but IMO they are safe.

If I were a coach I would have my college field/court/track athletes do these over power cleans any day of the week.
(...that is, if I were forced to have a "power" exercise in my weights program by the head S&C guy or AD or whatever)

davidcc

Post by davidcc » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:45 pm

iamsmu wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:06 am I worry that someone might fall on it and get an awful poke otherwise.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:44 pm

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:53 am

19th century proto trap bar and some thing close to the belt squat hack.

https://physicalculturestudy.com/2015/1 ... -heard-of/

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:00 am

This looks familiar. Maybe he tore a biceps tendon.

https://physicalculturestudy.com/2017/0 ... -deadlift/

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 am

iamsmu wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:00 am This looks familiar. Maybe he tore a biceps tendon.
LOL

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Titan "rackable" trap bar with a 49" wide frame.

https://www.titan.fitness/hex-trap-bar.html

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:23 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm Titan "rackable" trap bar with a 49" wide frame.

Rackable is nice touch but at that price point I would go with a custom build or Rogue - not rackable in the latter instance but much more reliable quality. $75.00 cheaper and I would be all over it - even if I am not using a trap bar right now in training.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Damn it. I wish I hadn't bought the Cap mega a couple months ago. The handles on that thing are so damn thick. This Titan looks much better. Both of my Cap hex bars are rusting at the joints. I put some oil based paint on the welds. We'll see. . . . The posts on the Titan are about 3" longer than the Cap Mega too.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 pm

bobmen10000 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:23 pm
murphyreedus wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm Titan "rackable" trap bar with a 49" wide frame.

Rackable is nice touch but at that price point I would go with a custom build or Rogue - not rackable in the latter instance but much more reliable quality. $75.00 cheaper and I would be all over it - even if I am not using a trap bar right now in training.
Just another point about "rackable"....
IMO, the rackable aspect is a non issue really.
No one is doing rack pulls, presses, or some weird variant. (1 out of 100).

What they should "sell", (don't know if this is the sales literature or not), is your plates land on the platform where their supposed to.

99% of the time people are doing deadlifts with a hex bar, from the floor.

The shitty small hex bara at my gym?...fucking people use them on the platforms. The plates land right on the transition between the wood and rubber .....either/or fucking up the wood, or slicing up the rubber plates. It's like they are made perfectly wrong.

Yeah, the handiest thing about having a rackable hexbar would be to set it in the safeties between sets to add/subtract plates....that's it.

Maybe another consideration is if you have a band-anchor point setup for your deads....it would.likely work with the wider hex bar.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:04 pm

mbasic wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Just another point about "rackable"....
IMO, the rackable aspect is a non issue really.

What they should "sell", (don't know if this is the sales literature or not), is your plates land on the platform where their supposed to.

99% of the time people are doing deadlifts with a hex bar, from the floor.

The shitty small hex bara at my gym?...fucking people use them on the platforms. The plates land right on the transition between the wood and rubber .....either/or fucking up the wood, or slicing up the rubber plates. It's like they are made perfectly wrong.

Yeah, the handiest thing about having a rackable hexbar would be to set it in the safeties between sets to add/subtract plates....that's it.

Maybe another consideration is if you have a band-anchor point setup for your deads....it would.likely work with the wider hex bar.
Yes. I don't care about rackability. I would like the plates to land outside the wood on the platform. Since I only have bumpers, it's not that big of a deal. It hasn't seem to slice the plates YET. (The urethane seem unsliceable. That shit is tough!) . . . But it would be better if it were just 6" wider. I don't think this would make windmilling any more likely, though I'm not sure.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Even if rubber plates... just say you wanted to demo a platform...that's the spot right where you'd want to attack....the edge of the wood. The ones we have are starting to splinter there.

But yeah, fucking dumbasses:
Gets better, our hex bars you can't fit 4 bumpers on there.
So douche bags will put a 12sided iron plates ON THE INSIDE FIRST, then pile on the bumpers. So you wind up with "cornered" plates bashing up the wood....right at the edge of the wood (end grain terminus if you get what I'm saying. Plywood might be better, IDK)

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:40 pm

OHP with a trap bar is a pretty good time. I probably am 1/100 though. 49" just means I'd have to rack on the safeties instead of the hooks. Seems like a dumb design when selling it as rackable.

The price is higher than I would have expected, but Titan seems to be edging higher overall. I don't think it will replace my Hulkfit open trap bar.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:41 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:40 pm
OHP with a trap bar is a pretty good time. I probably am 1/100 though. 49" just means I'd have to rack on the safeties instead of the hooks. Seems like a dumb design when selling it as rackable.

The price is higher than I would have expected, but Titan seems to be edging higher overall. I don't think it will replace my Hulkfit open trap bar.
It is hit or miss in terms of value for Titan lately. I think the front squat harness was a good value - not sure how useful it is - versus competitors; low & behold, it sold out very quickly. I actually considered the landmine stand they offered up recently. Had it started out at like 99.99, I would have pulled the trigger. Really not sure if it is good a value (high or low) but wanted to do a semi-permanent station involving it, my sled, a cheap bar and the viking press attachment.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 am

murphyreedus wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:40 pm

OMG, just caught that. That is dumb IMO.
I guess maybe the interior of the hex part might be bigger/wider... or something (than a truely rackable bar)